Posts

Chad Durbin To Return to Phillies

Reliever Chad Durbin will be returning to Philadelphia.

According to Jerry Crasnick of ESPN, the Phillies and Chad Durbin have agreed to $1.1 million contract.  The deal is one year, but includes an option for 2014.  The deal also could include a possible $350,000 in incentives.

Durbin, a 35-year old reliever, pitched well with the Atlanta Braves last season.  He went 4-1 with a 3.14 earned run average and a save in 76 appearances.

Durbin reunites with the Phillies three years later. From 2008-2010, Durbin had an 11-7 record and a 3.62 ERA in 194 appearances with the Phillies.

In 2012, the Phillies had one of the weakest bullpens in the league, and Ruben Amaro Jr. has tried to address that issue this offseason.  Amaro has added Mike Adams, and now Durbin, which could potentially take time away from some of the younger relievers.

1. CS

January 28, 2013 at 12:02 pm

I would have preferred Brian Wilson but as long as he doesn’t pitch like Chad Qualls should be okay. Not to mention it’s a long season and having depth is not a bad thing.

2. Bart Shart

January 28, 2013 at 12:39 pm

Well, I’ll be damned. Hope he does well for us.

January 28, 2013 at 12:50 pm

This could work out. So they were willing to spend more on Chad Durbin than Delmon Young. That should ring loudly with all those that think they won’t dump Young like a hot potato if they find he can’t play.

• EricL

January 29, 2013 at 1:29 am

Delmon Young’s deal is a guaranteed major league contract and will pay him double Durbin’s contract if he just makes the team and stays under 230 lbs this season.

They’ve already said he might have trouble getting on the field during spring training due to his recovery from ankle surgery. So, it really seems like he’s destined to make the team and get significant playing time until he proves he can’t play, by which time he’s already made more than Chad Durbin.

So, no, I don’t think this signing or the salaries involved means much of anything.

• Lefty

January 29, 2013 at 6:22 am

Thome’s deal was guaranteed too. When the time comes that he can get on the field, and as everyone is convinced will happen, he proves he doesn’t belong, there’s a decent chance someone will be looking to replace an injured or unproductive DH.

Like a hot potato EricL, and we might even get a prospect back.

• hk

January 29, 2013 at 6:50 am

Lefty,

Here’s the problem. Over the past 2 seasons, Delmon has produced a .299 OBP and a .403 SLG for an OPS of .702. If he produces similar offensive numbers again and continues to be a bad fielder and a bad base runner, would you be happy with those results? Do you think the Phils would be happy with those results? Let’s say Young is amazingly consistent and produces a .300 OBP and a .400 SLG in every month that he is on the roster. How many plate appearances do you think the Phillies would give him before they release him?

• Lefty

January 29, 2013 at 7:28 am

hk, They will not release Michael under any circumstances due to their 7.2 M investment in him. (I read where it’s been updated, it’s not the 6m we thought, it’s actually 7.2 due to some technicality I don’t understand.)

They’ll have no problem getting out from under the Delmon investment, and IMO- there in lies the difference. I really believe many are making too much of this.

Look I don’t like him much either, I didn’t like Luis Castillo, I don’t like Betancourt. But you have to have some guys in camp, so why not a few that by some miracle might turn into something, I just don’t see the harm.

When RA jr is standing right next to the guy in front of the press, what else is he going to say but “we hope he can be a everyday right fielder”. He wouldn’t sign here if he didn’t think he had a chance. They’ll find out soon enough if he’s a bad guy to have around. They’ll dump him like Luis Castillo, D. Willis, or Joel Piniero- OR they’ll find he can help them and keep him like Juan Pierre.

If he can’t play yet due to injury in S.T. as EricL suggests, they’ll try him out in April and May and if it doesn’t work out, then dump him. I just don’t see it as something to get worked up about.

• hk

January 29, 2013 at 7:58 am

Lefty,

Yes, but you didn’t answer my question. Sure, if Delmon produces a .180/.250/.325 line in his first 100 PA’s, they’ll cut him quickly and it will only cost ~$1M and if he produces .298/.333/.493 like he did in 2010, they’ll keep him for the full year at $3.5M and he’ll be worth it. However, the question is what do you think management will do if he produces like he did over the past two seasons (.265/.300/.400)? Personally, I think they expect somewhere around those numbers and that such production will keep him here for the full season and the full $3.5M. That’s my concern because that type of production with poor defense and base running from a corner OF is not worth $3.5M and is not worth taking those 500+ PA’s from the development of younger, cheaper players like Dom and Ruf.

• Lefty

January 29, 2013 at 12:42 pm

hk, I understand your concern, and admit to feeling a little skittish about it too, I just don’t see it as anything to worry about. It’s not like they went after him the minute FA season opened up, – had to have him at all costs, and paid him ridiculous money like Papelbon last year. I think he was fall back option, nothing more.

The answer to your question is too difficult to answer with certainty because they have been erratic in their decision making in the past. I guess what I was trying to point out is that it’s more about money than performance. Here is what I mean.

A .707 OPS and an inability to throw the ball well in 2012 from Raul Ibanez was considered acceptable because of the investment they made in him. A .674 OPS and inability to stay on the field in 2011 was acceptable from Polanco because of the investment..

I would guess, and that’s all this is -conjecture, that Delmon Young would have to perform much better than he has the last two seasons, because they don’t have as much invested.

It’s near impossible to predict what they will do. If you want my opinion, I don’t make the move at all. But if I did, he’s a put up or shut up disposable commodity.

• hk

January 29, 2013 at 1:53 pm

Lefty,

I hope that you are right and they won’t accept a .700 OPS with bad defense and bad base running from Young. However, I fear that they would see such production as acceptable if it comes with a batting average of .270 or so. As I have pointed out before, the Phils did not have a big financial commitment to Chad Qualls, yet they kept running him out there throughout the whole month of June when everyone else in the Delaware Valley knew he was cooked at least one month earlier.

January 28, 2013 at 12:52 pm

They sIgned Yunieski Betancourt to a minor league deal

5. bacardipr

January 28, 2013 at 1:11 pm

Im with Lefty this could work out. Or it could be Chad Qualls all over again.

6. Dave P

January 28, 2013 at 1:16 pm

I was a durbin fan when he was here before. I think he’ll solidify the bullpen.

7. Rob h

January 28, 2013 at 1:22 pm

I like durbin he should have been on the team last year too. Does anyone know how the luxury tax works? Between him young and lannon their non guarantee money if they get most of it would put us in luxury tax territory if they reach incentives, what happens if they do will the cut or trade others to get back below the threshold?

8. Chuck A.

January 28, 2013 at 1:54 pm

Lefty, GREAT point about the price here for Durbin compared to D Young.

• Lefty

January 28, 2013 at 7:40 pm

And what a surprise that not one of the dissenters responded to the comment. SMH

• Chuck A.

January 29, 2013 at 6:07 am

You were saying…???…/

9. George

January 28, 2013 at 2:41 pm

I can’t find anything to complain about with this signing. He won’t be a Qualls partly because he won’t be the eighth inning guy. He’d have to really, really be bad to be a flop as a middle reliever. He’s not making a huge amount by today’s standards, and he’s supposed to be a good clubhouse person.

10. Dylan

January 28, 2013 at 3:30 pm

the phillies are really doing everything they can to have depth in the bullpen since last season was unacceptable. Hopefully this works out. Best case scenario the phillies have too much pitching.

• Chuck A.

January 28, 2013 at 4:09 pm

Can NEVER have too much pitching.

• EricL

January 29, 2013 at 1:30 am

Well, you can if you use it incorrectly. If the younger guys are better than Durbin but get sent to the minors because he’s on the roster, then yeah, you’ve got too much pitching.

• George

January 29, 2013 at 12:26 pm

EricL–the “if” man. “If the younger guys are better than Durbin…” That’s a pretty big “if” right there, seeing as how none have really proven themselves capable of commanding their arsenals.

Where’s your confidence? Management isn’t a bunch of idiots, and I think will know how to handle the ‘pen.

• Chuck A.

January 29, 2013 at 1:09 pm

Yeah, so I guess I should re-phrase my comment to say “You can never have too much GOOD pitching.” There…you happy now Eric?? I mean, it’s not like you didn’t know what I meant.

11. Bruce

January 28, 2013 at 4:21 pm

This is one signing I like a whole lot. I like Durbin when he was with the Phils and did a great job. His record with Atlanta last season speaks volumes ( 4-1 with a 3.14 earned run average and a save in 76 appearances) for how well he continues to pitch.

Good move Amaro.

12. Ken Bland

January 29, 2013 at 10:04 am

The Durbinator’s return to the Phils qualifies him in the small number of Phillies who came back to play a second time before their careers were over. I wonder if we could squeeze a full starting lineup of such guys. Some of these guys might find themselves in new positions to validate this.

P – Terry Mulholland. Hard to believe Jamie Moyer only pitched here once. But it’s early.

C- Tim McCarver

1B – James Thome

2B – Tony Taylor

3B – Richard Anthony Allen

SS – Dave Hollins. The sort of mental toughness that would switch positions first, and ask questions later.

LF – Mickey Morandini. I had him at 2nd, but then realized Tony came back after going to Detroit, and at this point, he’s a little old to be hanging around 2B.

CF – Doug Glanville. I doubt we could do an all media team of ex Phils, although ya never know, but between Glanville and McCarver, not a bad start.

RF – Chuck Klein.

Reliever – hey, Chad Durbin inspired this venture, he gets the ball.

That was fun.

• schmenkman

January 29, 2013 at 10:14 am

Nice list — I would nominate Dick Ruthven as SP (maybe the RHP to go with Mulholland as the LHP).

Also Polanco (somewhere).

• Ken Bland

January 29, 2013 at 10:18 am

Roster alert. Mickey Mor-an-dee-knee is outtahere. outta the outfield, anyway. Del Unser is added to the ballclub. Left field, leaving Glanville to cover Klein’s right field limitations.

I’m not sure how Mulholland got picked over Cliff Lee, but they both had vagabond ventures of sorts.

• Lefty

January 29, 2013 at 12:50 pm

McCarver was brought back a second time because my avatar said so. He has the distinction of being a member of two teams that brought him back a second time. Personally, I try to rid myself of him as often as possible.

BTW- What is your picture now? Hank Williams Jr?

• Ken Bland

January 29, 2013 at 1:35 pm

Wild Bill Hagy, who led the body language Oriole chants back in the day. Maybe you haven’t lived where you live long enough to remember him, but he was a legend down there. I bet Brooks knows of him. It wouldn’t shock me if Barry Foote also caught for the Phils twice, and I’m pretty sure Todd Pratt did. I thought I was lucky to get 9, I guess you could fill out a roster if you really wanted.

Polanco is a good choice, I just didn’t think of him, and I’m sure I knew it at the time, but I don’t remember Ruthven serving a second stint.

• schmenkman

January 29, 2013 at 1:44 pm

Ruthven was drafted by the Phillies, came up through their farm and pitched here in 1973-75, then was traded to the White Sox for Jim Kaat (and Mike Buskey), who then flipped him to Atlanta 2 days later with Ken Henderson for Larvell Blanks and Ralph Garr.

Anyway, the Phillies then got him back from Atlanta in July 1978 for the stretch run in exchange for Gene Garber.

Foote was just a one-timer, but Pratt was picked up as a Rule 5 draftee in 1992, played here through 1994, then was acquired from the Mets in 2001.

• Lefty

January 29, 2013 at 2:16 pm

Oh! Of course I remember Wild Bill. I knew it was familiar, just couldn’t place it.

• George

January 29, 2013 at 3:33 pm

I try to rid myself of that dork as often as possible, too. I’d rather have the Aflack Duck as a color commentator than Tim “God’s gift to baseball stategy” McCarver.

• William Rennick

January 29, 2013 at 1:47 pm

Don’t forget the legendary Joe Table (aka Jose Mesa) for the bullpen.

13. Dave P

January 29, 2013 at 10:13 am

Not yet noted here: The number of phillies on the roster from the ’08 champion squad has increased!

14. Corey

January 29, 2013 at 12:04 pm

If he can produce anything like he did when he was here during the Series runs, it should be a solid pick up. The young guys are still too shaky and I find it hard to trust them in tight/big game situations. But with the additions of veterans Adams and Durbin, these kids can stand to learn something.

15. JohnMatrix

January 29, 2013 at 12:28 pm

I love the bullpen moves so far. The phils would have been closer in the hunt last year, if not in the hunt, ahd the pen not blown games early.

16. Chuck A.

January 29, 2013 at 2:19 pm

Wild Bill Hagy. Check this out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVoSYXQ1EEM

17. Chuck A.

January 29, 2013 at 2:33 pm

And in memory of the great Earl Weaver this is priceless! – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpS-XFXxJvE

18. Ken Bland

January 29, 2013 at 2:51 pm

Sin’t sickness beautiful? The only Phillie fan I ever knew that had the recognition factor of Wild Bill was Yo-Yo (Bernie Schiuffrin) who danced to Hava Nagila back at The Vet. A definite character in his own right. Yo Yo tried to bum more money off me than some people made in a lifetime. My favorite national fan from back then was this dude that ravelled the country and coincidentally turned up every Saturday where NBC broadcast the Game of the Week. Dennis Rodman before his time, he sported a rainbow hairdo, or actually a fro in rainbow colors, and worked behind the plate to get his John 3:15 sign on camera.

January 29, 2013 at 7:40 pm

All three videos are all priceless, thanks gentlemen.

20. Chuck A.

January 29, 2013 at 8:57 pm

Ken – From Wild Bill Hagy to a sexy, red thong with a Phillies “P” on the…you know… front…. I must say you have eclectic and quite varied tastes in avatars!