Free Agent Updates: Theriot, Webb, Hairston – Phillies Nation
Analysis

Free Agent Updates: Theriot, Webb, Hairston

http://ww4.hdnux.com/photos/15/74/73/3657439/9/628x471.jpgThe Hot Stove has just about come and gone but the Phillies have been quite active in the last few days. They have added pitchers Rodrigo Lopez, Juan Cruz, and Aaron Cook to their Minor League ranks with invites to Major League Spring Training camp and continue to eye a few more players.

Theriot a Fit?

Hot off the press today from CBS’s Jon Heyman, Ryan Theriot has been linked to the Phillies and the Giants. The utility infielder, 33, hit .270/.316/.321 in 384 PA last year for the Giants and has a career .281/.340/.350 triple-slash line. Theriot would presumably compete with Kevin Frandsen and Freddy Galvis for the utility infield spot. Theriot played 91 games at second base last year and two in the outfield.

Webb Marching Toward Comeback – Phils Interested?

ESPN’s Jerry Crasnick is reporting that the Phillies are among a gaggle of NL East teams interested in the returning Brandon Webb. Webb, 33, has not pitched since 2011 and not in the Majors since throwing one game for Arizona in 2009. Webb was a three time All-Star from 2006-2008, won a Cy Young and finished second twice in that period.

Hairston to Choose This Week

The Scott Hairston Sweepstakes will end this week! Jim Bowden of ESPN is reporting that Hairston will choose this week. The Phillies, as well as the Mets, Braves, and Cubs, are all interested suitors.

1. Jay Floyd

January 16, 2013 at 5:47 pm

Ryan Theriot would be a mistake for the Phillies. He has a .691 career OPS in 899 MLB games. The Phils released Mike Fontenot and his career .734 OPS last year in the midst of batting .289 in the bigs for them and he’s younger than Theriot.

Depth is understandable, but the Phils add infield guys like this nearly every year and they never work out. See Barfield, Castillo, Giles, etc. I’d rather see them try a guy like Marlon Byrd rather than another has-been/never-was IF option.

Webb could be worth a risk I think.

• George

January 17, 2013 at 8:05 am

Young is old, Rollins is old, Utley is frequently injured and isn’t exactly youthful, and Howard is not yet 100%. I think the Phils almost have to look at infield depth this year. Even a guy with a lousy OPS is better than one who’s sitting on the DL most of the year.

2. Jay Floyd

January 16, 2013 at 5:51 pm

Side note- perhaps sometimes it works out, because Pete Orr has certainly been able to contribute in an alternate extra infielder/AAAA role. So, there are exceptions I guess. Still, feel the same about the rest I said above.

3. Nessa del Rio

January 16, 2013 at 6:56 pm

Hope they don get hairton. He hd his areer year in 2012. He won’t be worth the sweat on my big butt.

4. DCmikey

January 17, 2013 at 9:05 am

I’m sorry, someone fill me in as to why Webb was out of baseball?

Sorry if this is common sense, but I just don’t know.

• Ken Bland

January 17, 2013 at 9:49 am

Webb’s shoulder was shot. I have a feeling he’s done well to get clubs to look at him, but that’s a hunch. The guy was terrific before the shoulder started breaking down.

On Hairston, seems I read somewhere he wants more money than the Phils are interested in paying. That’s not gospel.

Theriot…This guy seems like he’s been pretty useful between the Giants and Cards since not quite living up to advanced billing from Cub starting days. I was pretty warm to getting him over here the last year or two. Now? I dunno. Not so anxious that I wouldn’t be inclined to wait to see who’s available out of spring cuts.

January 17, 2013 at 12:59 pm

Ian, How much would a Ryan Theriot go for these days? 1.5m or something like that?? I’m not much for karma, but the guy has does have rings from the last two WS Champs.

• Ian Riccaboni

January 17, 2013 at 3:22 pm

Lefty – I’d say $1.5 – $2 probably gets Theriot in the door. I suspect the price continues to drop as we move closer to Spring Training.

6. Bruce

January 17, 2013 at 2:01 pm

I have to believe Amaro is satisfied with the current roster and need not spend more money on “low risk-high reward’ rethreads. The perception for some here is the need to build more depth for infield as insurance against possible injuries. I grant that is a valid argument but…Amaro can look internally and recall from the minors such experienced players as Pete Orr ( underrated here by some).And I have complete confidence in Kevin Frandsen (also underrated as well).

I think the team is set and ready for spring training and so am I (smile).

• George

January 17, 2013 at 6:45 pm

I think that if Amaro rteally was satisfied with the current roster, he wouldn’t have shown any interest in Theriot or Hairston, or for that matter, Webb.

Rosters are always being evaluated so that improvements might be made, although I’m not sure any of the above are real improvements. One has to look, though.

The Phils currently have a roster full of question marks and it might be nice to have someone proven, even if proven to be a mediocrity, like Pete Orr; a very replaceable talent.

• Bruce

January 17, 2013 at 11:39 pm

George, you’re certainly entitled to your opinion. I just think that with Spring training less than 4 weeks away, Amaro must have a good feeling that the roster is fine for now unless a unforseen injury to a key player occurs prior to season opener. You must remember that names like Theriot or Hairston you read are not coming from the office of Amaro. They are simply rumors and as always, come from unidentified source(s) that writers like Jon Heyman selectively choose to report it.

And if such an injury happens, I repeat, Amaro does have the option to look internally with a player like Orr available (who impressed me with his speed, hustle and desire last season). The Phillies also have depth in the OF and I do want to see Brown and Ruf have an opportunity to play and prove their worth.

• George

January 18, 2013 at 7:58 am

Of course rumors are only some person’s speculation. Anybody knows that.

However, there’s usually some place the rumor comes from; it’s only difficult to know how strong the source is and how strong the interest by the front office. I also think Amaro, though maybe okay with what he’s got, should be interested in improvements. He would be a terrible GM if he didn’t look at all available options.

Is his interest strong? No one knows that except Amaro himself. But if he’s indeed satisfied with a team of unproven talents and injury risks, he’s a fool, and I also say that Theriot, though not great, is probably equal to or better than some of the current AAAA options the Phils have. A surplus anywhere is always good.

GMs are sometimes forced to stand pat. But it ALWAYS pays to be on the lookout for decent players.

• Lefty

January 18, 2013 at 12:59 pm

I don’t know if there is a video of it anywhere, but on MLB Network’s Clubhouse Confidential, RA Jr. was interviewed this week. He was asked and said (paraphrasing) that if he can upgrade the corner OF’s at a reasonable price he will. Of course that also means that if he can’t, (and I’m glad he’s shown restraint this offseason) they will go with what they have.

7. psujoe

January 17, 2013 at 3:40 pm

Stick with Frandsen and Galvis. They should each start at least 40 games with the aging infield.