2013 Spring Training

Papelbon Gets Shelled, Phils Lose 10-1 to Tigers

Jonathan Papelbon gave up six earned in 2/3 of an inning as the Phillies lost to the Tigers 10-1.

The Good

For a 10-1 loss, this could have been a lot worse. Cliff Lee pitched a hitless two innings with two Ks and Tyler Cloyd followed with two hitless innings of his own. Phillippe Aumont was sharp in his hitless inning, registering a strikeout.

Ryan Howard continued his solid play, going 2-2 off lefties. Howard’s most promising moment of the game was his deep sac fly with the bases loaded, no out, facing an 0-2 count. Howard has looked composed with a very good eye so far.

Areas of Opportunity

So, Howard essentially was the offense today. Other than Howard’s two hits, the Phils struggled to get runners on base. Yuniesky Betancourt, Freddy Galvis, and Josh Fields all had singles, and Chase Utley, Michael Young, and Ender Inciarte all drew a walk. And that’s it. We’ll chalk this one off to an off day.

And then there is Papelbon. Super prospect Nick Castellanos and Miguel Cabrera took Papelbon deep. Mike Stutes and Raul Valdes also each struggled, each giving up two earned. Stutes in particular struggled to find the strikezone, only throwing four of 12 pitches for strikes.

The Phillies play again tomorrow at 1:05 PM at home against the New York Yankees.

1. Bart Shart

February 25, 2013 at 5:39 pm

Perhaps this will encourage Papelbon to focus on his pitching craft instead of his criticism of the Phillies, who are paying him BIG MONEY.. Everyone who reads this blog knows the Phils’ many shortcomings. We do not need to hear “squeaky-wheel” Papelbon mouth off. Of course, he has a reputation of mouthing off. Keeping that reputation alive, I guess.

2. Don't remember my name

February 25, 2013 at 6:10 pm

Looks like we’ll have to look for another “leader” in the bullpen..

• George

February 25, 2013 at 6:39 pm

Even leaders have off-days.

3. Ken Bland

February 25, 2013 at 6:50 pm

I thought Papelbon had an entertaining quote after the game. Pulled from context, of course.

“I’m just (concentrating on) repeating my delivery,” the closer said.

It would have been entertaining to ask him if after the Cabrera interplanetary shot did he consider a new delivery to implement for the balance of his career, and life. Maybe a more stylish standing on his head release. I guess JP guaged the success of the shot by if his delivery was comparable to the previous hitters, who also knocked him around.

What a great fallback for a spring quote for an underperforming effort. “I was working on this, I was working on that.”

I’m hopeful that Kendrick’s post game comments tomorrow don’t include, ” I was working on immitating Papelbon’s delivery.”

I’ve had enough of that. Well, until Paps “pitches” again.

4. Ken Bland

February 25, 2013 at 6:54 pm

“Phillippe Aumont was sharp in his hitless inning”

Tell ya what. Aumont hung one curve ball that right place, right time, might have got crushed. IF, that is. IF the batter didn’t get fooled by the break of it. When a hitter takes his curve, you really can see what an outstanding 12-6 he’s got on it.

5. Dave P

February 25, 2013 at 7:06 pm

Still early this spring, but when one of your key offensive contributors starts off well, it does make ya believe it could be a good year.

6. Bruce

February 25, 2013 at 11:38 pm

I don’t take any of the individual or game results seriously in the month of February. Right now, for the veterans, it’s all about rhythm and control for the pitchers and seeing pitches and executing field fundamentals for hitters and fielders.

Of course, for the young hopefuls from the minors, their objective is to make a positive impression with the coaches and manager.

When we get down to the final weeks in March and the young players going back to the minors, that is when it gets serious with fine tuning for veteran players and manager making key decisions with the roster.

7. brooks

February 26, 2013 at 1:26 am

I want more swagger..

8. Andrew from Waldorf

February 26, 2013 at 2:41 am

The Papleban show was very grating in Boston.

If the phillies are going to stink his act will grow tiresome very rapidly here.

They need to win.

great news on Howard.

2 hits vs lefties!

Now if he can get 2 walks in a game.
    Ill be drinking the kool aid.
    He is actually going in the 9th-10th round in fantasy this year.

I am seriously considering taking a runner on him in the 7th- 8th round.
    There are 2 util spaces so I usually try to carry 2 or 3 firstbasemen.

Ive never had him before so maybe that will be the good karma to have a big year.

In other fantasy news the very first Phillie in the draft is Cole Hamels taken with an average of the 34th selection. in the middle of the 3rd round average.

The very first offensive player taken is Rollins who is taken average pick of 82nd in the 7.7th round.

So yes the Phillies are finaly flying way under the radar.

I like being the underdog.

But your first offensive player going in round 7.7 is a little embarrassing.

9. smitty

February 26, 2013 at 8:57 am

If there was anything constituting a bright spot – go to the site crashburn alley and they will piss on your parage…..what a downer….they would have us believe RAJ gave up those Hr’s.

• schmenkman

February 26, 2013 at 9:47 am

Nice mixing of metaphors, but what do you mean specifically? With a quick glance I didn’t see anything unduly negative.

• Lefty

February 26, 2013 at 2:25 pm

Their Keith Law interview yesterday was pretty depressing. One lowlight which I’ve been railing about for a few years now.-

“I still can’t quite fathom their pride in their refusal to use any kind of analytics in their decision-making. When your competitors are operating 12-man analytics departments, why would you brag about how you don’t have one at all?”

That’s not the typical Keith Law Phillies bashing, that’s just a sad sad fact. And yes of course I’m assuming he’s right. While he is not generally beloved in Philadelphia, his credibility is well known around MLB to be pretty good. I don’t think he makes a statement like that if he’s not certain.