Phillies All Time Team 2013

Phillies All-Time Team: Shortstop

It’s up to you to tell us who should be part of the Phillies All-Time team. During the winter, we’ll unveil one position at a time for you to vote on. After all the votes are tallied, and all the position filled, we’ll release the results. Make your vote count!

• Granny Hamner (16 seasons, 3x All-Star): .263 avg, .689 OPS, 103 HR, 705 RBI, 16.3 WAR
  • Larry Bowa (12 seasons, 5x All-Star, 1x WS Champ): .264 avg., .624 OPS, 13 HR, 421 RBI, 288 SB, 19.4 WAR
  • Jimmy Rollins (13 seasons, 3x All-Star, 1x MVP, 1x WS champ): .270 avg., .760 OPS, 193 HR, 793 RBI, 403 SB, 40.3 WAR

Who we’re voting for:

-Pat Gallen: It’s clear that Jimmy Rollins is the greatest shortstop in team history. I think the better question would be, how high does he rank among all players of this generation? He’s in the Top 40 among active players in WAR, with several players ahead of him being involved in PED’s in one way or another.

-Don M.: On a team with Chase Utley and Ryan Howard it’s sometimes easy to overlook just how good a player Jimmy Rollins has been. J-Roll’s 162 game averages include a .270 batting average, 17 HRs, and 36 steals, all while sporting a plus arm and stellar defense at one of baseball’s premium positions. Rollins never had the On Base Percentage that many fans would’ve liked, and it’s obvious that his range at SS is declining, but I think it’s fair to say that every team in MLB would’ve loved to have Rollins penciled into their lineup for the past 12+ seasons.

-Ian Riccaboni: Jimmy Rollins leads all Phillies shortstops in hits by 226, doubles by 150, triples by 24, home runs by 90, walks by 248, runs by 366, RBIs by 88, stolen bases by 115, and fWAR by 26.5. Rollins has also saved over 40 runs in the field and earned over 79 on the basepaths. Statistically, this one isn’t even close and it doesn’t include his Gold Gloves, All-Star games, his 2007 impersonation of Nostradamus or his 2008 World Series win. This one might be bigger in separation than Mike Schmidt v. the field.

Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

1. Ken Bland

February 26, 2013 at 11:15 am

Firstly, let me get Granny Hamner out of the way. I don’t think I’ve ever taken the time to even check his record. I always kind of assumed that through Bowa, Larry was the all-time 6 position player. Now regarding since, Jimmy gets the nod over Bowa. I feel Larry had a very representative career, and deserves proper respect. It’s about ability and production, but I have a slight prejudice for that guy accumulating I believe 2200 big league hits with seemingly so little ability. He looked like a big leaguer righthanded, I really can’t even say that from the other side, but he held his own.

Here’s what comment I really wanted to offer, being as I had given this very topic some thought knowing it was coming…

Pat Gallen says: It’s clear that Jimmy Rollins is the greatest shortstop in team history. I think the better question would be, how high does he rank among all players of this generation?

I suspect that gets some discussion here. It’s not a topic I feel like participating in. A conversation that I would be quite interested in would be if Jimmy, Bo10 and Bobby Wine did a 30 minute show with a chancre to plead their case for being the best Phillie defensive shortstop ever. For all I know, Hamner might deserve consideration in that, but I just don’t know. I think Wine had a little stronger arm than Bowa, Jimmy gets the nod on range. The only conclusion I’d draw is the position’s well covered with all 3 from a defensive view.

RAJ, Sr. was a terrific defender as well. Tremendous hands.

• George

February 26, 2013 at 1:03 pm

I was somehow under the impression that RAJ stood for Ruben Amaro Junior. Maybe I was wrong, because I’m pretty sure there was never a player named Ruben Amaro Junior Senior.

(Just messing with you, Ken.)

Back in the sixties, the Phils were very well covered at SS defensively. It’s too bad niether Wine or Amaro Sr. could hit; the Phils may have actually won more. The Phil’s Granny was before my time, much as my own grannies were.

• Ken Bland

February 26, 2013 at 3:26 pm

I bet if I read that 20 times, I wouldn’t have caught it. I’d have a tough time explaining that one. But it does show how you become so indoctrinated thinking Ruben’s actual initials are RAJ. I guess. That was funny to read.

2. Andrew from Waldorf

February 26, 2013 at 2:23 pm

I was only kid when he played so I guess I didnt notice when he didnt run to first base.

Remember he was a great glove a spark plug. The 2009-2012 Phillies would have done well to have a Bowa at SS or a Rose at 1B.

I get it that its the whole world has changed and its generational.
    Hustling and running and all that is even frowned upon these days by teammates.

Ill take Bowa just as many WS titles with the Phils also.

3. Andrew from Waldorf

February 26, 2013 at 2:26 pm

@ Ken E. Baseball you are abscessed with RAJ.

• Ken Bland

February 26, 2013 at 3:30 pm

What do you feel runs deeper? My absession with the guy, or your obcesceshun with him?

WIN COLUMN!!!!!!!!!

Chicken dinner time!

• Andrew from Waldorf

February 26, 2013 at 4:03 pm

I googled obcesceshun and now I am really confused.

I dont know why but I am starting to get a good feeling for this year.

I am digging flying under the radar.

It all comes down to Doc, Lee and Cole all being top 10 MLB pitchers once again.

I really wish we werent locked into Rollins Utley and Howard 1 3 and 4.

I think thats a very tough thing to overcome.

But I am as optimistic a little now. Theres a chance.

For a
        chicken dinner

4. betasigmadeltashag

February 26, 2013 at 2:38 pm

This one was tough because Bowa was my favorite Phillie growing up, and thought he should have won at least one if not two GG. He was a clutch guy at the plate and was a big contributor to the 80 WFC. And there was not as much put on SS offensivly in that generation. He might not have had the range JRoll had, but I’m pretty sure he held some Feilding % records or errorless innings records for a while. Saying all that I still went with JRoll, it is a different era and maybe Bowa was more of a leader but you did not have the 24/7 coverage of sports, but JRoll is by the far the face of this era of phillies baseball, and just his power numbers give him the edge. OfBut I do not think it is as far a gap as Micheal Jack vs the field.
    Off topic but my MLB 2k 13 season has both Utley, Howard, M. Young, and Ruf batting over .300 all with over 17 HRS. Just sayin

• Ken Bland

February 26, 2013 at 3:34 pm

Phils played a series at Shea, and for whatever reason, rather than travel home with the club, Bowa rode home with his wife Sheena. Bowa was 0-5 that night, and as legend, or memory or both have it, all 5 at bats were strikeouts.

Put yourself in Sheena’s position, and imagine how that ride home went. Holy cow!

Too bad Larry never played for Billy Martin. That’d have been great to watch.

5. Don M

February 26, 2013 at 2:57 pm

Larry Bowa is the prime example of what Philadelphians want from their athletes … that they give it everything they’ve got.. and that they care about the outcome. That said, Bowa had a lower AVG, lower OBP, lower SLG … less steals, less total bases (in 3 extra seasons) … was not as good a defender, etc.

To both of their credit – despite being undersized, they managed to take the field just about every game of every season during their careers

• Bruce

February 26, 2013 at 11:37 pm

I wonder if you have seen Bowa played SS with the Phillies? I have. Bowa with Schmidt (3B) provided rock solid defense on the left side which proved to be an important factor in the Phillies having success in the late 70’s and culminating with a World Series Championship in 1980. Bowa, by the way, hit .375 in the World Series.

I always thought Bowa should have won few more Gold Gloves adding to the two he had in his collection. After all, he led the N.L. in fielding percentage SIX times then a league record. He held the Major League records a long time for fielding average in a career (.980) and a single season (.991, in 1979) before both were eventually surpassed. He is also among career leaders in assists and doubleplays.
      He may not have the greatest range compared to Rollins but he had baseball smarts (knowledge of opposing hitters) and instinctively knew how to position for each hitter. His remarkable achievements in fielding is a testament to his ability and intelligence in playing the toughest position in baseball.

Bowa as a hitter struggled early in his career but willed himself to be a more patient batter and better observed opposing pitchers for their habits and weakness. As a switch hitter, he eventually improved hitting .280 or better FOUR times (.305 in 1975).

However, while Bowa is my favorite Phillies SS, I will give Rollins my vote because of his offensive production with the bat and his feet (smile). Bowa , though, remains the better fielder (a slight edge) in my opinion.

6. Don M

February 26, 2013 at 2:58 pm

I would’ve liked to see what Bowa the manager would’ve done with the rosters Charlie Manuel was given

• George

February 26, 2013 at 4:08 pm

I wouldn’t, because he most likely would have ruined them all. He’s part of the reason Rolen wanted out, and he certainly alienated a lot of players before he got canned from most every team he managed.

Say what you will about giving it all; I’ll take the guy who isn’t so intense he drives people nuts or they quit on him out of spite and disgust.

A good player, yes, but Bowa was a terrible manager.

• Chuck A.

February 26, 2013 at 4:20 pm

Bowa and Charlie have COMPLETELY different styles. I’d be willing to bet that they don’t win 5 divisions in a row and probably don’t win the Series in ’08 under Bowa. I agree with George…he probably would have alienated a lot of players.

Say what you want about Charlie (we all know he’s not the best strategist) but his style was right for this team when they had their success. It will be interesting to see if they have one last gasp for him this year…as long as they stay healthy.

• George

February 27, 2013 at 4:02 am

I can certainly agree that Manuel’s style seemed to be right for the time. People complain way too much about Manuel’s strategy costing a few wins each year, but I wonder how many potential winning rosters are turned into losing ones by managers who don’t make good judgements in the clubhouse. No one complains about that except a player or two, and they’re usually viewed as malcontents.

Maybe the losses in either case (on field or in clubhouse) are about even; maybe not. It’s certainly not something that can be objectified.

7. The Original Chuck P

February 27, 2013 at 3:16 pm

Jimmy has been the engine of the greatest era in Phillies history… doesn’t get enough credit. Greatest shortstop in Phillies history, for sure. Tremendous defensively – you could make an argument for Bowa on defense alone but I’d go Rollins. But when you factor in offense, there’s really no question. In a couple years, Rollins will be the all-time franchise hits leader.