Prospect Nation 2013: #18 OF Larry Greene Jr. – Phillies Nation
Crosscutters

Prospect Nation 2013: #18 OF Larry Greene Jr.

Larry Greene Jr., quietly began his ascension upward in the developmental ranks last season, after being selected in the supplemental 1st round, 39th overall, by the Phillies in 2011.

In his senior year of high school, the lefty batting Greene became an All-American, posting a .536 average in 30 games with 11 doubles, 19 home runs, 52 RBI and 37 walks.

Greene worked out with the Gulf Coast League Phillies late in the 2011 season, after signing his first professional contract, which came with a reported $1 million signing bonus.  He also spent some time at the Florida Instructional League as well that year.

Despite sitting out a good deal of time at Instructs with a groin injury, the slugger was able to take in plenty of batting practice and put himself on display for the brass in attendance, who were there to see many of their newly drafted prospects.  The ailment resulted in some downtime through the winter months and Greene wasn’t in the best shape when he reported to spring training in 2012.

That year, his first season in pro ball, Greene spent time in extended spring training getting into a more acceptable playing shape.  Once the short-season New York-Penn League kicked off in June, Greene looked capable at the plate against the league’s competition.  As a member of the Williamsport Crossercutters, though, his reputation for having big time power seemed exaggerated, as the 19-year-old launched just two homers.  Greene’s .270 average with 22 doubles and 26 RBI in 70 contests were promising, however, and because Williamsport’s home park, Bowman Field, is notoriously difficult on hitters, no one is fretting over his low power production.

While Greene’s strike out rate was much like that of a very young power hitter that’s new to the minors, at over 25%, he has been praised for his plate discipline, as he tallied a very good overall walk rate of 13.7% in his first year as a pro.

On defense, Greene is solid, covering enough ground to hold his own in the outfield.  Additionally, the 6-foot 235-pounder’s speed is average and not on the slow side at all, as some may expect of an individual with his larger frame.

Expect Greene, who turns 20-years-old next week, to begin the coming season with Class A Lakewood.  The Phillies have high hopes for the youngster who should begin spring training in better physical condition this year, after spending the off-season fully healthy.

_________________________________________

Image- Joe Wombough

February 3, 2013 at 10:14 am

Jay,
    How does the reputation of First Energy as a hitters park compare with Williamsport?

• brett

February 3, 2013 at 12:40 pm

it takes an absolute blast to get it out of bowman field…although i did hit one there in my college career, it had to be the hardest ball i ever hit!

• Jay Floyd

February 4, 2013 at 11:46 am

@Lefty Lakewood’s FirstEnergy Park isn’t overly kind to hitters either. Some stronger hitters like Jim Murphy & Chris Duffy haven’t really struggled to mash homers in that park, but your Kelly Dugan’s of the world hit 10 on the road and only 2 at home. BlueClaws notoriously have way larger HR totals as a team on the road.

So, Greene could be in the low teens next year, with a full season in Lakewood, then really explode once he reaches the FSL and Eastern League.

2. Bart Shart

February 3, 2013 at 11:22 am

Looks like Larry is still a little green. Hope he turns golden. He is still a youngster.

3. Andrew from Waldorf

February 3, 2013 at 7:30 pm

I guess Larry Greene Sr. wasnt available?

You are losing your touch Ruben.

4. The Original Chuck P

February 4, 2013 at 3:16 pm

I don’t know why you wouldn’t be higher on Larry Greene at this point. By all accounts, the kid has big league power (despite his low HR total – he was likened to Russell Branyan coming out and that has never really been a question) so you really come into this relationship wondering whether he can field and exhibit plate discipline. Well, he did both pretty well last year. A prior first pick, he should be higher on this list, in my opinion. He started slow but heated up and ended up having a nice debut season. MLB.com and the Phillies have him 4th in their rankings and I’ve seen others have him in the top 10… I would probably slot him somewhere between 6th and 9th. Guys are too high on Cody Ashe, in my opinion. He’s a slight-bodied (6’1″, 180 lbs) average to below average left handed third baseman with a little bit of power and a little bit of speed (not a great base stealer)… a college kid with a limited ceiling. Tell me I’m wrong…

• schmenkman

February 4, 2013 at 4:48 pm

OCP, this might be interesting: http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/reports-from-instructs-phillies-wrap-up/

includes this on Greene:

“He earned his bonus with plus left-handed power that isn’t just to his pull side but the question is if the tools and approach are there to hit for average and unlock the power.

It was a short look and he’s still a teenager, but I’m going with unlikely.”

And you might be right on Asche — most rankings have him below Maikel Franco, although Asche is much closer to being ready for the majors.

• Lefty

February 4, 2013 at 7:35 pm

I only saw the guy play twice, and that’s not a fair sample, but I have to say that I agree on Asche. I hope I am wrong, but I’m not even sure he’s a true third baseman. The arm and footwork were not impressive at all. Again, two games is not enough, I could be way off base here.

• George

February 4, 2013 at 11:38 pm

Does Ashe only hit lefthanded, or does he throw from that side, too? A lefty fielder at 3rd is just wrong; the throwing position is too awkward.

5. The Original Chuck P

February 5, 2013 at 10:15 am

Asche throws right handed… reading that back, the comment was misleading (my bad). It’s a mixed bag with Asche… I’m just not sure what makes him a higher prospect than Greene. Is it because we so desperately need a third baseman that we’re willing to label everyone “our next third baseman?”

I’m not sure how much time the Fangraphs folks spent watching Greene but from what I’ve read elsewhere, he’s hitting to the opposite field a lot and look at his assists totals… 7 assists in 70 games. I’m encouraged… not discouraged.

• schmenkman

February 5, 2013 at 12:46 pm

The fangraphs comment was heavily hedged: “It was a short look and he’s still a teenager…”

• George

February 5, 2013 at 2:52 pm

Your comment was in no way misleading; it was only incomplete.

Thanks for the full answer. I was too lazy to look up Ashe myself.