2013 Spring Training

Halladay Crushed as Phils Lose to Detroit

Sure it’s just “Spring Training.” But when a pitcher you’re going to rely heavily on this season puts up a stinker like he did today, there is cause for concern.

The Phillies fell to the Tigers, 10-6. However, the focus is on the awful outing from Roy Halladay. He lasted just 2 2/3 innings, allowing seven runs, including a grand slam to Ramon Santiago. And that’s against a lineup missing Prince Fielder, Miguel Cabrera, and Torii Hunter.

What’s worse is that Halladay’s velocity was sorely lacking. According to the beat reporters with the team in Florida (all of them) he was routinely in the mid-80’s on the day. It’s a far cry from where he needs to be.

Following the game, Halladay spoke with reporters and blamed it on his new workout and throwing routine. That’s not enough to quell fears that we may be dealing with a damaged pitcher. Sure, it’s still early, and I’m certainly willing to give Halladay a start or two to figure things out. However, it’s certainly something to keep a watchful eye on – no doubt about it.

Chase Utley hit his first home run of the spring after he’d been moved from second base to DH because of a wet field. Ben Revere was 3-for-3 with two doubles, one coming just short of a home run. Something he’s never accomplished in a regular season game.

1. Double Trouble Del

March 12, 2013 at 5:47 pm

Halladay’s line in this game reminds me of his line in that early May game in Atlanta last year except in that game he didn’t walk anyone.

• G7

March 12, 2013 at 6:06 pm

Hope it’s just early season “dead arm”..

2. johnmatrix

March 12, 2013 at 7:11 pm

they said he was throwing 86-88. Oofa. not to good. You cant believe the players either when they say they are fine. we can just hope.

3. wbramh

March 12, 2013 at 10:07 pm

Loss of velocity, location problems and constant exhaustion were all issues last year and seem to be carrying over to the new season.

I don’t believe for a minute that these three fairly sudden issues have anything to do with Roy’s age and certainly not his attitude.
    Forget the stupid game for a minute. I’m seriously worried about Roy’s health and I hope Roy and the team don’t just pass it off as Spring training mechanics problems.

I just sense that something else is going on there.

4. Bart Shart

March 13, 2013 at 12:46 am

I wonder if Roy is working out too hard. I wonder if he were to take it a little easier that his velocity would improve.

5. Andrew from Waldorf

March 13, 2013 at 1:49 am

They must have a good Halladay to be in any type of contention.

All the other things become moot if he isnt good.

March 13, 2013 at 9:03 am

Really concerned about this one. Sure, it’s Spring Training… but his velocity is dipping and the results aren’t getting better. And it’s alarming that he actually blamed his workout and throwing routine… perhaps it’s a sign that it’s not working as he expected and we’ll back to square one, with little time left.

• Ken Bland

March 13, 2013 at 11:23 am

There isn’t anything you said that isn’t true, and I can’t say I blame those actually in the picture (Charlie and Dubee) for admitting concern in their quotes, but I don’t see the point of being too concerned right now.

Respect to the signs that are, let’s see how Doc does in his Sunday start. Overreacting before that seems hasty. Even if he just pitches okay, which would be quite an improvement over yesteday, the best bet, assuming he does pitch okay is to keep rolling with him, and allow for the time recovering from injury to take it’s course. The best of not good options are probably within, or maybe a late pre season cut. If I thought Lohse was a viable answer, I still don’t lnow that I’d believe in less patience.

I’d be very surprised if Doc doesn’t have a fair amount of good baseball left in him.

7. teejvee

March 13, 2013 at 10:31 am

…and I think we all know. ‘Don’t worry,Doc will be fine’ is non-operative after last year.

8. Bruce

March 13, 2013 at 1:56 pm

I’ll take Halladay’s word that he is physically fine and has no soreness. After all, that matters more than any premature judgment of fans and media alike. So he had an off day feeling “lethargic”. He came into yesterday’s game with a 2.16 ERA in three starts. Shall we dismiss that?

I know that fans in general are in love with the “fastball” when evaluating a pitcher’s worth. Of course, it’s nice to see a pitcher with such a dominant pitch. However, am I not correct to say that Halladay’s dominant pitch is his “sinker’? That he is a finesse type pitching to contact? He is not overpowering. His fastball is more a setup for his other pitches especially in changing speeds. If he has lost something on his fastball, he is capable of making the necessary adjustment. Pitchers and coaches alike will tell you.. it’s location, location, LOCATION.

So Halladay had a bad outing yesterday with a an uncharacteristic lost of command on his pitches (four walks). I rather give him slack for that performance knowing it’s early in the month of March. All finesse pitchers adhere to the Jamie Moyer lesson #101: It’s not how hard you throw but where you locate your pitch. (smile)

9. "Big Ed" Delahanty

March 13, 2013 at 5:24 pm

While I am slightly alarmed, I’m willing to trust in Doc. Remember it was Doc Halladay, battling TB and and heavy drinking that took down fast gunslinger Johnny Ringo. I think Doc still has some left in him, and either way he’s going down guns blazing.