Spring Training Gameday: Phillies vs Tigers

DetroitTigersLogoPhiladelphia Phillies at Detroit Tigers

TIME: 1:05, Joker Marchant Stadium (Lakeland)
Weather: 63, sunny
Media: Twitter and Facebook

Today will be the last time this spring that the Phillies play a spring training game on the road. The Tigers will be their opponent, and it looks as though the Phillies team is already picked. The only thing that Charlie Manuel is doing now is tinkering with the lineup to see what he thinks will be best for the club come opening day. Even though many of the starters are absent for today’s game, Ben Revere is leading off, which is something to watch.

Lineup: Revere CF, Frandsen 3B, M Young DH, Nix 1B, Ruiz C, Orr 2B, Mayberry RF, Galvis SS, Inciarte LF (Hamels P)

1. Bart Shart

March 27, 2013 at 1:13 pm

I wonder if Nix will make the team. Also, Incarte, who has played well and plays excellent defense in the outfield. I’d say that this is an important game for both. Also, despite his versatility, John Mayberry is probably in some jeopardy, as he has not had a good spring at the plate. Lots of news coming soon.

2. Ken Bland

March 27, 2013 at 3:19 pm

My philososphy of TV weatherfolks has always been if they got paid on commission, we’d get better forecasting. Down Dixie way, I assume they are on salary too, so don’t hold your breath, but here’s the current forecast for Atlanta coming up…

Sunday…98% chance of rain

Opening Day…Patly sunny, 71 for a daytime high, precip probability 30%.

Let there be baseball.

3. Ken Bland

March 27, 2013 at 3:38 pm

Cemented in a fine reputation in blogsville, I doubt PhilliesNation will suffer from what appears to be an imminent broken promise since spring training is short, and so is The Grapefruit League. I thought the plan was to complete the all time Phils by position, and it doesn’t appear likely. Not that you need a centerfielder when you have Greg Bullzinski roaming in left, but on behalf of Tony Gonzalez, Adolfo Phillips, and the 1000s that shared centerfield with myself, Philadelphia Phil, and Philadelphia Phyllis at Opening Day of the Vet, it would have been/will be fun to see who gets mentioned in the same breath as his Whiteness.

We never did get to the managerial position either. I can see why. Who else could compare to Andy Cohen, who put his yamica aside to form the meat of the sandwich for 1 game, breaded by Eddie “I’m 49, and I want to live to be 50” Sawyer, and the everpopular Gene Mauch. Cohen skippered a single game, a 5-4 10 inning shocker that finalized his major league manager slate as undefeated. In game 3 of that 1960 year, Mauch made his managerial debut, and lost any chance of matching Cohen’s perfection. Boy did Mauch lose any chance of ever matching that.

• Lefty

March 28, 2013 at 7:03 am

I heard it said many times that – The Oceans cover 71% of the world, Garry Maddox covers the rest. No poll necessary.

• Ken Bland

March 28, 2013 at 10:35 am

Maddox was great to watch. My favorite of all the centerfielders I’ve seen in Phillie red.

But you think he’d have beaten Ashburn? I just assumed Whitey would win it.

• Lefty

March 28, 2013 at 12:10 pm

If there are enough older folks, Ashburn would win in a landslide, but that wouldn’t change my vote. You mentioned “The great Bullzinski” earlier, ask him. Maddox made him look like a passable left fielder.