Gameday: Phillies (10-14) at Mets (10-11) – Phillies Nation
2013 Gameday

Gameday: Phillies (10-14) at Mets (10-11)

new-york-mets-alternate-logo-2-primary_display_imagePhiladelphia Phillies (10-14) at New York Mets (10-11)

Jonathan Pettibone (0-0, 3.38) vs. Shaun Marcum (0-0, 0.00)

TIME: 1:05, Citi Field
TV:
Fox
Weather: 66, mostly sunny
Media: Twitter and Facebook

With last night’s victory, the Phillies have now won 7 of 8 games against the Mets, including four straight on the road. The 4-0 win displayed a lot of positives for the Phils, if only for a night. Kyle Kendrick dazzled in throwing a complete game shutout, while Ryan Howard showed a little power, something fans have been waiting for him to do.

Howard may have an opportunity to continue his power display today, as he has gone 4-for-8 lifetime against Mets starter, Shaun Marcum. Three of those four hits have been home runs. Marcum is making his 2013 debut after spending time on the DL with a sore neck. Injuries have long been an issue for Marcum, who only started 21 games for the Brewers last year while plagued with an elbow injury. In five career starts against the Phillies, Marcum is 2-1 with a 3.51 ERA.

Rookie Jonathan Pettibone will toe the rubber for the Phils. In his Major League debut, starting in place of the injured John Lannan, Pettibone impressed, throwing 5.1 innings, while allowing two runs and striking out six. The six strikeouts were the most for a Phillies starter in his MLB debut since Cole Hamels did it back in 2006.

Aside from Humberto Quintero starting in place of Erik Kratz, the Phillies lineup remains the same. That means Ben Revere is not starting for the third straight game.

Lineup: Rollins SS, Utley 2B, Young 3B, Howard 1B, Brown LF, Mayberry CF, Nix RF, Quintero C, Pettibone P

Your gameday beer: Sierra Nevada’s Pale Ale

Brooklyn Pennant AleFor my money, there is no better beer for a Spring day than a pale ale, and Sierra Nevada’s version of the classic brew delivers. It’s nothing more than a basic pale ale, but it has a rich, consistent hoppy flavor, while maintaining a refreshing quality often lost in stronger versions of the brew. It goes down easily, and is the perfect beer for someone just beginning to experiment with pale ales, or a seasoned drinker looking for a smooth beer on a beautiful afternoon. Complete your lunch with an open-faced Turkey Ruben sandwich.  –By RD

Go Phillies!

April 27, 2013 at 12:29 pm

Stinkin’ FOX broadcast, no game on today for anyone south of Philly local area.

2. Andrew From Waldorf

April 27, 2013 at 1:10 pm

Yea no game for me. Ken Y. Baseball will have to update me.

Lefty you could have taken me up to Delaware to watch the game with you if you were a good sidekick.

Watching the Nats who are struggling.
    Regression was certain this year. But they will still win 90. And they will be peaking at the end. Davey Johnson is no dummy.

Fantasy wise as yuo all know I lost Reyes. Had been going with Cozart.
    But I had to dump him for Crawford from the Giants.

Another must win game.

Go Phils!

• c schreiber

April 27, 2013 at 11:44 pm

I lost bother Reyes & Bourne in an AL only league. I’m sure you know my prognosis for SBS.

3. Tracey

April 27, 2013 at 1:26 pm

I’m stuck with FOX video, but I’ve got Harry calling the game for me.

4. Tracey

April 27, 2013 at 1:26 pm

Whew! Got out of the first, but the noob has to settle down!

5. Tracey

April 27, 2013 at 1:37 pm

(sigh) Mets put two men on for us, but we can’t do anything with it,

6. Tracey

April 27, 2013 at 1:46 pm

Aw crap. Mets take the lead with a couple of poorly played hits.

7. "Big Ed" Delahanty

April 27, 2013 at 1:47 pm

Dear Howard,
    Dive for that ball by Davis. Even if you knock it down. Be a man. Get dirty out there. Wtf.

8. "Big Ed" Delahanty

April 27, 2013 at 1:55 pm

The Man comes through again! C’mon Michael Young, keep the hitting inning going! Go Phils.

9. Tracey

April 27, 2013 at 1:56 pm

Two men in scoring position and nobody out? We’d damn welll better break this thing open.

10. Tracey

April 27, 2013 at 1:57 pm

… or keep the wild pitch inning going. I’ll take a run any way I can get it.

11. Tracey

April 27, 2013 at 2:01 pm

That’s my boy! scores the run easily.

12. Tracey

April 27, 2013 at 2:12 pm

Oh, nicely turned! Just keep getting those DPs!

13. Tracey

April 27, 2013 at 1:24 pm

Pettibone had such a great first start. WTF today? Hits the first batter and walks the second. The defense helped by turning a DP, but… wtf…

14. Tracey

April 27, 2013 at 2:26 pm

yikes…

15. Tracey

April 27, 2013 at 2:28 pm

Noob is in trouble…

16. Tracey

April 27, 2013 at 2:29 pm

WHEW! I thought that was going to be a grand slam…

17. Andrew From Waldorf

April 27, 2013 at 2:30 pm

Why does the reds pitcher grove one to Harper?

He knows I am vs Harper in fantasy is the only reason I can think of.

• Tracey

April 27, 2013 at 2:33 pm

Yeah, that must be it. Those pros love to mess with fantasy baseball managers. No other explanation.

18. Tracey

April 27, 2013 at 2:31 pm

crap… almost a DP. But maybe we can keep our lead…

19. Tracey

April 27, 2013 at 2:33 pm

Whew! Phils still have the lead. I don’t know if my heart can take all this suspense!

20. Tracey

April 27, 2013 at 2:37 pm

OH BABY!!! Nice hit, Jimmy! Let’s take back that 2-run lead!!!

21. Tracey

April 27, 2013 at 2:44 pm

YES!!! WOO HOO!!!

22. Tracey

April 27, 2013 at 2:46 pm

WOO HOO!!! GO BIG BROWN!!!

23. Ken Bland

April 27, 2013 at 2:47 pm

People underestimate just how underpaid Ryn Hpward is.

For the 2nd straight game nw, with the Phils holding an insurmountable 1 run lead, Howard took advantage of pad my stats time, and drove in a run (3 last night on a homer, when he could have walked, and now, he sets up a 3 run blast by Dom Brown.

And Bangberry.

Cycles, all about cycles.

• Tracey

April 27, 2013 at 2:55 pm

Do you watch the same team I do? Haven’t you seen the way the bullpen blows even a significant lead? There is no such thing as too much padding on a lead for this team.

• Ken Bland

April 27, 2013 at 3:29 pm

In reply to your question, I have a story for you. Maybe your familiar with this event. Earlier in the game today, Howie Rose decided to review history and went back to Jimmy’s team to beat proclamation. He chose not to quit while he was ahead, and chose to embark down to the depths of stupidity. He moved onto Cole Hamels, who, if you heard the interview on NY’s fan, you knew loudly and clearly that Hamels was dragged into calling the Mets “chokers. Rose proceeded to tell the story out of context, and simply said Hamels called the Mets chokers. Pretty stupid out of context comment showing a complete lack of understanding and/ or integrity. Good luck figuring out the connection.

• Tracey

April 27, 2013 at 3:58 pm

I assume that you are calling me stupid and suggesting that I am taking your comments out of context when I disputed your “pad my stats” comment. Perhaps you were not digging at Ryan Howard. So many posters here have nothing better to do than complain about his salary, that tends to be how I read everything. Honestly, I was surprised that nobody bitched about him striking out when we had a 6-run lead.

• Andrew From Waldorf

April 27, 2013 at 4:04 pm

He is not digging at you.

It is his nature!

Learn to love it like he has my spelling and punctuation and spacing in my posts.

Ken E. Baseball = good guy

And Tracey you been here as long as I have keep up the good work.

Re : Howard

He is about the 50th to 75th best hitter in baseball overall. One of the worst vs lefties and the worst base runner and fielder in the sport.

But he is all ours!

And I am double dipping.

I drafted him for 2 people. Ken E. and Lefty.

• Ken Bland

April 27, 2013 at 4:46 pm

I described Howie Rose’s trip down memory lane to include stupidity. He’s a real danger. It’s not impossible I eat these words on his later venture during the game, but he was at least equally stupid, and probably more so when he decided to lure his broadcast partner Josh Lewin into discussion about if the Angels let Mike Scosia go, if the Phils might pick him up. Citing Scosia’s having lived in Upper Darby (I believe that to have been many, many years ago), and would doubt it’d be a major factor IF the 2 clubs made changes. The problem with Rose is sound wise, he polarizes his NY counterpart (Sterling), who’s an out and out buffoon.
        This deceives his audience into thinking he knows what he’s talking about. His play by play is good. His tendency to supplement that with nonsense diminishes that quite a bit.

Andrew continues to roll on with unique theories about baseball. Within his genius, he decided Howard was the only guy in the world that pads stats in non critical situations, and he prefers walks to homers. Andrew portrays as good people, and I was having some fun with him. As thanks for the shout out, he will be obliging my request to take Jimmy Basepaths off the must go now list, and putting him on probation tomorrow/ Monday might be another story.
        I guess I should say pretty please rather than sounding so demanding.

24. Tracey

April 27, 2013 at 2:52 pm

Wow… 8-2… do you think we can hold that lead?

25. "Big Ed" Delahanty

April 27, 2013 at 3:37 pm

Great offensive showing today! I am thrilled! I just hope that we don’t go back into offensive ineptitude for the next few games. Another nice job by the rookie, Pettibone.

26. Ken Bland

April 27, 2013 at 3:51 pm

Down by as many as 26 points to the league average in OBP about 2 weeks ago, even discounting today’s over .300 rate, the Phils have cut the gap to 11 points. This within a period of a lot of frustration, but the League has dropped about 6 points during that time.
    Revere’s absence is probably not a coincidence.

27. Andrew From Waldorf

April 27, 2013 at 4:00 pm

@ Ken Y. Basehead

Howard hits 4th on a major league roster.

I have intentionaly over accentuated his deficiencies the past few or 4 years because some ( especially on this site) think he is a top 5 hitter or maybe even the best.
    Although I will say mot now are more in line with me. Which makes it much less fun.

I have never disliked him as I do Rollins. I just analyze his play.

I also get a very big kick out of defending his side of the contract.
    The contract is 0% his fault.

Now he hits 4th on my fantasy team and my real life favorite team.

So go Howard!

28. Tracey

April 27, 2013 at 4:00 pm

6 runs ahead in the top of the 9th, and yet I am still nervous… our bullpen has blown too many large leads in recent times…

29. Andrew From Waldorf

April 27, 2013 at 4:05 pm

Even if the other guys suck at some point it becomes a save situation and Paplebomb will come in.

So theres that so relax

• Tracey

April 27, 2013 at 4:07 pm

I’ve seen Papelbon blow a 4-run lead, and I know that’s the exception, but I’ve seen it happen.

30. Tracey

April 27, 2013 at 4:06 pm

… and then there were 5…

31. Tracey

April 27, 2013 at 4:10 pm

FOX is talking as if the game were already over…

32. Tracey

April 27, 2013 at 4:11 pm

WOO HOO!!! OK, now it’s over. 🙂

We’ve won the series. Do I dare break out my broom?

33. c schreiber

April 27, 2013 at 11:51 pm

@ Ken, FYi, I went to HS (St James Catholic) in Chester and shared a locker for 4 years with his older brother Fred who lived in Morton. The family may have moved to Upper Darby at a later date but in 1962 they lived in Morton.

• Ken Bland

April 28, 2013 at 1:17 pm

I’m in favor of accurate reporting, and appreciate the thought, but it’s a side issue. The issue is where I might be wrong, but Mike’s been in California for years, the Phils have had many times where they could have brought him into their org, and I’ve never heard of any yearning to return “home” If, by chance there is, that’s cool, but speculating about people losing jobs and going off on a tangent in a play by play role, laugher or not struck me as ridiculous