2013 Gameday

Gameday: Phillies (4-5) at Marlins (1-8)

Philadelphia Phillies (4-5) at Miami Marlins (1-8)

John Lannan (0-0, 3.86) vs. Ricky Nolasco (0-1, 3.97)

Time: 7:05 PM, Marlins Park
TV: TCN, Home of Phillies Nation TV
Weather: High 70’s, cloudy
Media: Twitter and Facebook

The Phillies are in Florida tonight, as they begin a three game set with the Marlins. They are coming off a series win against the Mets–their first win of the year. I think this is an important series for the Phils. I think they have a chance at a sweep, and they need to take advantage of that. It’s a perfect situation for Roy Halladay and Cole Hamels to get back in the groove (or, in Halladay’s case specifically, to possibly find himself again).

Tonight, though, John Lannan gets the ball, and he’s been pretty good so far this year for being the fifth starter. Ricky Nolasco will be on the bump for the Fish, and it is tough to predict what kind of game he’ll have against the Phils. I anticipate a low scoring game, at least for the Marlins, because their lineup looks like some sort of cruel joke. They have Placido Polanco batting cleanup to “protect” Giancarlo Stanton. Oooof. Here’s to being able to say “hey, at least our lineup isn’t the Marlins.”

Update: Stanton has been scratched from tonight’s game.

LINEUP: Revere CF, Rollins SS, Utley 2B, Howard 1B, Young 3B, Brown LF, Nix RF, Kratz C, Lannan P

Whirlwind WitbierYour Gameday Beer – Whirlwind Witbier
Tonight we have a gentle offering by Victory. This classic German Witbier is supremely drinkable on any evening, especially a rainy one like today. The flavor is comprised by wheat malt and yeast with notes of orange zest, coriander, and clove. Essentially, it’s another more sophisticated version of Blue Moon, if you fancy those. If you can find some fresh shellfish, like a bushel of crabs, have that with it. – By Brian

GO PHILS!

1. Ken Bland

April 12, 2013 at 6:37 pm

We’ll see about the sweep. Certainly gotta do that to contend. Middle game’s thee one to watch. I don’t kno what the big deal about Cole’s early season is. Unless he’s hurt, and I leave it to th4e rocket scientists to guess on that. But he draws Fernandez, and I don’t know how the club will do against him. Lotsa good reports on him.

I changed my afterlife plan this afternoon. Used to be I get the time back I spent on hold. Effective today, it’s I get the time back Charlie uses before changing the essence of the starting lineup. Long afterlife forthcoming. Steady as a rock, for sure. Color me observant, not complaining.

Baseball from “They Built it, But they Still Didn’t Come Park” is next.

2. Nah.Roots

April 12, 2013 at 6:50 pm

I’ll take 2 out of 3.

Houston was supposedly a beatable team for us last year..until they weren’t.

• schmenkman

April 12, 2013 at 7:01 pm

Same here, I’ll be happy with 2 out of 3. After all they could even get swept (which would be disappointing, but not the end of world).

3. Andrew From Waldorf

April 12, 2013 at 6:54 pm

Need this one.

I picked up Lanaan in fantasy ( for Hughes) to spot start him here.

This Miam offense is a joke and that park is a pitchers park.

Looking forward to tomorrow.

I also have Jose Fernandez for tomorrow for the Marlins. Ive had him since his debut though.
    You guys are in for a treat tomorrow.
    Hes got a nice arm.

Is this Phillies team good enough to sweep anyone?
    Sunday is Halladay too.

Slowey may be 0-2 but his ERA is 12 runs lower than Docs so far.

Go Phils.

How about a Lanaan no hitter?

4. Andrew From Waldorf

April 12, 2013 at 7:03 pm

Wow

No stanton

How can Lanaan not do well? Stanton was hitting .455 vs him

Also again no Phillies feed.

I pay for this package and this is killing me.

Somone come over and sit next to me in a Chris Wheeler mask and say goody things during the game.

5. Andrew From Waldorf

April 12, 2013 at 7:05 pm

Wow there are more people on the field than in the stands.

So glad they got a new ball park.

• Tracey

April 12, 2013 at 7:43 pm

Yeah, the attendance is really sad. Behind the batter, particularly, is pathetically empty.

Of course, I could show you some pictures from Monday, 8th inning v. Mets in Philly. Yikes.

6. Tracey

April 12, 2013 at 7:38 pm

I just tuned in late, but I see I haven’t missed much.

The danger is: the Phils have a long, bad habit of playing down to their competition. Let’s hope they don’t do that tonight! The last thing we need is to play like the Marlins!

7. Tracey

April 12, 2013 at 7:45 pm

HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA!!!

Pitcher / power hitter.

8. Andrew From Waldorf

April 12, 2013 at 7:48 pm

Its Dominican heriatage appreiation night.

So maybe the fans are out on the concourse watching bands or something.

9. Andrew From Waldorf

April 12, 2013 at 7:49 pm

Dont need Lanaan running alot

My no hitter is still in tact

Too bad his hit doesnt ount in fantasy

Wow that was some play against Revere

10. Tracey

April 12, 2013 at 8:51 pm

WOO HOO!!! It’s about time somebody got a run…

11. Tracey

April 12, 2013 at 9:05 pm

argh…

12. Tracey

April 12, 2013 at 9:06 pm

Phormer Phils are always trouble…

13. Andrew From Waldorf

April 12, 2013 at 9:20 pm

Great game by Lanaan and I stil cant get the win for fantasy.

14. Ken Bland

April 12, 2013 at 9:20 pm

I would ASSUME that Qualls is not used in a rotation of pitching in games the Fish lead or are tied in. Which is a shame. Just the thought of him on the opponent roster is invigorating. Be nice to have that edge to look forward to in this competitive game.

15. Andrew From Waldorf

April 12, 2013 at 9:37 pm

John Buck. the Mets catcher.

Has more RBI this year than the Marlins have runs scored as a team.

They are minus Stanton their only real good major league hitter.

A loss here really is not acceptable.

16. Andrew From Waldorf

April 12, 2013 at 9:38 pm

The marlins have 3 hits

And if I had to bet this Id bet on them.

They have a 1-8 team record

WOW

Lets win this guys.

17. glutenous

April 12, 2013 at 9:44 pm

Alright, a dp. Disaster averted for now…

18. Ken Bland

April 12, 2013 at 9:45 pm

You could break that sequence down a dozen ways, about 1 of which was favorable to the Phils. Wham, bam, thank you maam. You can give Adams credit for forcing the grounder, and it’s fair, but the glaring factor is bad teams beat themselves. Somehow, some way. Gawd, don’t lose this game now.

19. Andrew From Waldorf

April 12, 2013 at 9:46 pm

Yes Ken

Look how bad this team is

Please just win this so i can be happy and sleep well.

Tomorrow ill be at the track so its all on you then.

But win this game.

• Ken Bland

April 12, 2013 at 9:55 pm

I wouldn’t wanna put too much pressure on Aumont, but I wonder if he realizes how much pressure there is here.

He walks the first guy, its anger management time around here.

20. Andrew From Waldorf

April 12, 2013 at 9:48 pm

Cishek is not good.

21. Andrew From Waldorf

April 12, 2013 at 10:02 pm

Dobbs still doing more to help the Phillies win than Howar or Rollins.

Love that guy.

22. Ken Bland

April 12, 2013 at 10:02 pm

However it happened, Adams and Aumont bottom line yo terrific sums, and I’d assume we’ll get multiple innings from Valdes now. I mean this game is so there for the taking before testing that matchup. Dunn, gone, Cisek gone. This’d be a tough, tough one to digest, not to mention sending us to the gravatar site war to early in the series.

23. Andrew From Waldorf

April 12, 2013 at 10:04 pm

Nice neck tattoo on Rausch.

If it doesnt work out in the majors he can always be a bouncer at a biker bar.

24. Andrew From Waldorf

April 12, 2013 at 10:11 pm

Jimmy pop up

25. glutenous

April 12, 2013 at 10:15 pm

WOO! Man Revere can fly. The Ut-man cometh up huge once again.

26. Andrew From Waldorf

April 12, 2013 at 10:15 pm

Oh I was so happy they didnt walk chase!!!!!!

27. Ken Bland

April 12, 2013 at 10:15 pm

Very unaggressive inning by Charlie. 3-1 to Chase, and he still didn’t run Revere.

Guess he knows what he’s doing.

Yep, he did. I think Chase just snapped a 1-12.

RyHo 3-10 off Big John, 4 Ks.

Keep rollin’ now.

28. Ken Bland

April 12, 2013 at 10:19 pm

Tell ya what. I swear, last year, I can’t count how many times Papelbon would be ready for a save, and the Phils’d open it up, and spare him the 1 run challenge. Must have been 3-5 times. Maybe that’s typical, and it didn’t happen there, he’ll work with 2 runs, but I thought Brownie was gonna plaster one and that’d happen again.

Three outs, and the broom lives to see more pictoral glory.

29. Andrew From Waldorf

April 12, 2013 at 10:24 pm

This team has 14 runs all year and 7 came in their win.

Easiest save of the career for Paplebomb.

Now if this team hits Doc on Sunday or Cole tomorrow.

Some very serious issues with either one of them.

30. Ken Bland

April 12, 2013 at 10:25 pm

Fish are really screwed. We Built it But They Still Didn’t Come Park”, supposedly built off scam funds is in huge trouble. Hard to imagine a new stdia losing a tenant, but it’s not surprise if The Fish move to Louisville, Portland or Willow Grove by 2017.

Sky’s the limit and you know that you keep on just
    keep on pressin’ on.

Fernandez tomorrow. Look forward to the challenge.

• Andrew From Waldorf

April 12, 2013 at 10:42 pm

You mean Walnut Grove?

Mrs. Oleson and Nelly can be the mascots.

• Ian Riccaboni

April 13, 2013 at 8:30 am

They’re not using the base for anything. They could easily fit a stadium and parking there…

April 12, 2013 at 10:27 pm

April 12, 2013 at 10:30 pm

Anyone see the “not exactly textbook” triple play tonight by the Yankees?

4-6-5-6-5-3-4 The O’s also made a 3 run error

Looks like the Nats have blown it too.

33. DavidE

April 12, 2013 at 10:34 pm

A win is a win.

• glutenous

April 13, 2013 at 12:06 am

A win is a win is a win is a win

34. FhjAmABgS

May 19, 2013 at 10:24 am

I was bought this as a present by buddies who visited all of us for that summer as well as understood just how much we love to the fruit juice. The old juice extractor was really upon its last legs, really cumbersome and to be honest it really would be a discomfort to clean upward after this. This particular intended we didn’t utilize it anywhere near as almost as much ast we may possess liked to complete. This one is a real