Posts

Gameday: Phillies (9-14) at Mets (10-10)

new-york-mets-alternate-logo-2-primary_display_imagePhiladelphia Phillies (9-14) at New York Mets (10-10)

Kyle Kendrick (1-1, 3.28) vs. Dillon Gee (1-3, 5.95)

TIME: 7:05, Citi Field
TV:
PHL 17
Weather: 60’s, partly cloudy
Media: Twitter and Facebook

The Phillies are coming off a disappointing series against the Pirates where they won a game started by Jonathan Pettibone, but lost the three started by Cole Hamels, Roy Halladay, and Cliff Lee.

Tonight, they will send Kyle Kendrick to the mound, and he’s had a surprisingly good year (for Kyle Kendrick standards). He has been the Phils second best started behind Cliff Lee, and, if you watch him pitch, you can just feel his confidence on the mound. And he’s not just getting lucky, either. He’s making good pitches in tight spots and not backing down.

For the Mets, Dillon Gee will get the start, and he has an ERA up near six, in part because a terrible start against the Phils on April 9. He gave up seven runs in three innings that night, and gave up more hits (10) than outs (9).

However, he’s coming off a solid start against the Nationals where he did not surrender a single run (and only three hits) in five and two-thirds innings. Still, he has not had much success against the Phillies in his career.

The key for this Phillies offense is patience. As Corey Seidman points out, the Mets are a much more patient team. That is certainly a contributing factor to the difference in records between the two teams. For the Phillies offense to get it going against Gee, they need to work the count and force him into a high pitch count.

Tonight’s lineup is missing the slumping Ben Revere for the second straight game. John Mayberry Jr will play CF with Laynce Nix in right.

Lineup: Rollins SS, Utley 2B, Young 3B, Howard 1B, Brown LF, Mayberry CF, Nix RF, Kratz C, Kendrick P

Your gameday beer: Brooklyn Pennant Ale ’55

Brooklyn Pennant AleA baseball-themed beer? Yes, please. Brooklyn Pennant Ale is a honey-colored pale ale, right up my alley. It’s aptly named for the 1955 Brooklyn Dodgers World Championship team, a very cool homage to a city that lost its team to the west coast unfortunately. It’s 5.0% ABV, so not too strong, not too light. It should be paired with some BBQ ribs or a plate of crabcakes. Oh yeah. Whether or not you despise New York, Brooklyn Brewing Co. makes a damn good beer. –By Pat

Go Phillies!

1. pamikedc

April 26, 2013 at 6:56 pm

True or False…our OF is the worst in all of baseball? It’s laughably worse than the Nats and Atl.

Lets take 2/3 here. KK wins and Cole finally wins on Sunday. Doesn’t Cole usually pitch bad vs the mets tho (at mets stadium).

2. Andrew From Waldorf

April 26, 2013 at 7:12 pm

Another must win game.

I am too focused on how utterly over rated the infield is to even notice the outfield.

Howard does have good career numbers on Gee.

The games vs the mets are always big in my Mets Phillies better record bet.

Go phils!

• schmenkman

April 26, 2013 at 7:23 pm

Overall, game for game, the best double play combo in baseball last year. You must be talking about Young and Howard.

3. Andrew From Waldorf

April 26, 2013 at 7:20 pm

I forgot the over under of Rollins making outs on the bases.
    It was going to be 1 but since hes already been picked off Ill make it 2.

Considering how he really isnt on base nearly as any decent lead off hitter. It is a shame he makes all these outs on the bases.

I guess Charlie is going to show us by hitting him 1 and Howard 4 till the end of time. Or at least until he isnt managing anymore.

More than any other player Rollins would have been addition through subtraction by simply just letting him sign with another team last year.
    If he even had any other suitors.

But here Ruben and the fans got thier way.

Here he is an all time great phillie and a Hall of famer.

If I never saw him suit up for the Phillies again Id be pleased.

Can be Galvis or any other major league SS in there.

April 26, 2013 at 7:30 pm

Linemaker, linemaker, make me a line…

The O/U on Games won this series by the Phis is 1.5.

I’ll take the under. Doesn’t leave you much, does it?

4. Andrew From Waldorf

April 26, 2013 at 7:40 pm

@ Ken its bad enough watching a dreadfully horrible team.

But then your veteran guys cant even run the bases LOL

I have to say it amazes me that people love some of the older players.

In my real life people I talk to these players are not very beloved.

Howard has 3 walks this year.
    Jimmy has 3 outs on the baes in the last 3 games.

This is the best in the league?

People believe that?

Like its 2008 ??????????

Im sorry I cant understand how anyone could watch every phillies game the last 3 years and be in love with these guys.

But more power to you and enjoy it. I mean no disrespect to you liking it.

Ill just sit back and laugh for this year like last.

Every once in a while when it gets ridiculous like no walks 4 straight games or Rollins not running the bases on a little league level Ill maybe accidently rant.

Carry on

With the best damn infield of all time.
    Pound for pound
    Stat for stat

April 26, 2013 at 7:45 pm

Andrew,

This what we need to do. We need to start rooting for Jimmy not to get on so as to eliminate this massive baserunning problem.

Perhaps you can praise him then for the improved running game. I know that with that positive mentality you have, that will make you a happy Phillies investor.

5. Ken Bland

April 26, 2013 at 7:54 pm

Ma and Pa Nix are in heaven tonight. Both Jayson and Layne are in the starting lineups. Wonder why both parents spelled both kiddos names with y’s. Strange parents. Lifelong spelling bee.

This is big news. Probably the biggest since the Hanrattys coached against each other in Da Bowl.

Signed,

Ken Y Baseball

6. Andrew From Waldorf

April 26, 2013 at 7:56 pm

I do have a positive attitude.

This series just watch how these scrubby Mets players work counts and have a hitting approach.

How can your clean up hitter have 3 walks on april 26th?

My Jimmy on the base path rant is over now.

Lets enjoy the game.

Maybe Uncle Charlie will hit Ruiz 1 when he comes back.

April 26, 2013 at 8:00 pm

How can your clean up hitter have 3 walks on april 26th?”

It’s not that hard. Usually cleanup hitters bat 4 times a game, and pitchers can easily try to work around them. Especially the big threat types. No names, no need.

I was enjoying the Jimmy Basepaths rant. I’m sorry I teased you about it and you plan to stop. I guess I’ll root for him to get a hoit since you said you’re gonna stop.

7. Andrew From Waldorf

April 26, 2013 at 8:02 pm

8 in a row for KK

I can smell a win when the Phils vaunted offense starts getting in gear here.

I think I can I think I can I think I can.

A phillies win only puts me 3 back of the mets in my bet.

If the Mets hadnt dealt Dickey that bet would be done.

8. Ken Bland

April 26, 2013 at 8:05 pm

At least Papelbon has to be pleased with the leadership on the ball club this year.

I guess.

• Andrew From Waldorf

April 26, 2013 at 8:07 pm

Hard to get alot of saves on teams that lose 100 games though.

Crazy Eddie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

His prices are insane.

9. Andrew From Waldorf

April 26, 2013 at 8:06 pm

So ken you mean mostly other teams pitch around clean up hitters.

But in some cases teams pitch around the 2 and 3 hitters to get to the clean up hitter.

Interesting theory.

Jimmy Popup was so 2010 or 2011

new nick name

Jimmy Basepaths

You are a way better sidekick than Lefty ever was.

April 26, 2013 at 8:12 pm

I seriously really do like that Jimmy Basepaths monicker. That is keeper stuff.

Crazy Eddie was closed on Sundays in Paramus. Recognizing that character is worth an extra beer at the parade. Wonder what city we’ll be visiting.

10. Ken Bland

April 26, 2013 at 8:10 pm

Tell ya what. With Bennie not in the lineup, we could see baseball history tonight.

Worst pinch hitter in history since The Mart that’s known as Nini.

That’d fire em up in Brooklyn Heights. Bennie V Da Mets pen. Compelling television all across the New York Mets televeison network.

11. Ken Bland

April 26, 2013 at 8:18 pm

Kendrick is getting on my nerves. So may times of late, he throws a game that makes us reevaluate if it’s the best game of his career.

Who needs the strenuous mental labor? Helluva start at least.

12. Andrew From Waldorf

April 26, 2013 at 8:23 pm

My WS prediction is Phillies vs Red Sox

April 26, 2013 at 8:25 pm

Concur.

Kendrick V Buchholz in 1,4 and 7 in the Throwback Series.

13. Andrew From Waldorf

April 26, 2013 at 8:25 pm

Lukas “Zippity” Dooduh has 18 walks this year
    Ryan “the big contract” Howard has 3

The funniest part is the Phillies have played 3 more games too.

April 26, 2013 at 8:28 pm

That’s not really funny, Andrew. You need a sense of humor. That’s actually sad.

Signed,

Sarge Obvious

14. Ken Bland

April 26, 2013 at 8:27 pm

With The Mighty KK at the plate, this should be an RISP at bat, even with Eric Basebaths the runner

15. Andrew From Waldorf

April 26, 2013 at 8:31 pm

Is Buck on what Ruiz was last year?

Or is he just eating his wheaties?

April 26, 2013 at 8:40 pm

Andrew intimidates Jimmy Basebaths to hold at first. Wisely.

16. Ken Bland

April 26, 2013 at 8:39 pm

Solid ballgame tonight. Another Phils game where you take the little lady out for dinner, get to the park T6, and she says, “See, honey, we didn’tmiss a thing.” Sometimes the female perspective on The Great Game is a fascinating thing.

Not the case tonight, though. The feeling here is the Phils score 2 this inning.

Shake it up time.

17. Andrew From Waldorf

April 26, 2013 at 8:40 pm

Ut oh

Jimmy Basepaths with the LONG single.

18. Ken Bland

April 26, 2013 at 8:41 pm

Jimmy Basepaths on the fly. Yahoo!

19. Andrew From Waldorf

April 26, 2013 at 8:42 pm

First to third on the single for Jimmy Basepaths

can they not score here?

youd like that rant ken if they dont

20. Ken Bland

April 26, 2013 at 8:44 pm

Piece. Love this situation, this matchup, this time.

21. Andrew From Waldorf

April 26, 2013 at 8:44 pm

michael young with the hit!

2 on and Howard up

lets blow this open!

Jimmy ran the basepaths perfectly socring from first on 2 hits.

It takes 3 hits to score Howard from first.

22. Ken Bland

April 26, 2013 at 8:46 pm

Piece, baby. Piece.

Phillies baseball.

23. Andrew From Waldorf

April 26, 2013 at 8:46 pm

Booooomb

that will help the fantasy squad quite a bit!

24. Ken Bland

April 26, 2013 at 8:49 pm

For what woulda been 160 thou to get that Yale education if he didn’t have no scholarship, Darling Ron was yakking about Piece’s double play propensity with his legs before he smashed one deep into the NY, NY night.

That was as golden as any record they ever played at WCBS FM.

Now, can Kendrick go Halladay, and get even better as the game goes.

April 26, 2013 at 8:52 pm

Howard does love him some Dillon Gee don’t he?

I got your sidekick right down here.

26. Andrew From Waldorf

April 26, 2013 at 8:54 pm

A win is a win and I am happy if its a win.

Now we fear the bull pen.

I loved Darling in Shallow Hal

27. Ken Bland

April 26, 2013 at 8:54 pm

My problem with the Phils, and this is nominally contestable, I suppose is I just don’t see where this club can put together a strek, or run. Like 12 out of 15. They just doin’t have that feel to ’em. Like Crew, won 8 straight after a 2-8 start or something.

That’s what I’d love to see. Such Jekyll and Hyde.

Course last year, the Hall of Famer Marty Brenneman said the Red couldn’t win 10 straight, and it cost him every hair on his head.

Ya never know, I guess. Does kinda feel like RyHo’s hitting the groove zone with a couple dingers of late. That was 1 nice rip.

28. Andrew From Waldorf

April 26, 2013 at 8:55 pm

Young loves Gee too

Thanks for the support.

We are all athletic supporters though.

29. Ken Bland

April 26, 2013 at 9:01 pm

Take over on the favorite Phil article tomorrow.

KK ERA at 2.64.

And scratch that early season nonsense.

Check out te other starter’s ERAs.

30. Ken Bland

April 26, 2013 at 9:04 pm

I guess saying you’re familia with Fmilia is like “These Eyes” or Share the Land coming on the radio, nd saying, Guess Who’s on the radio?

Tip of the hat to Randy Cummings for good music.

31. Andrew From Waldorf

April 26, 2013 at 9:04 pm

Jimmy Basepaths up with a RISP

I believe

32. Ken Bland

April 26, 2013 at 9:06 pm

6 and a half along, and we go to commercial on the Phils baseball network

33. Andrew From Waldorf

April 26, 2013 at 9:09 pm

The Campptown ladies sing this song,
    Doo-da, Doo-da
    The Camptown racetrack’s five miles long
    Oh, de doo-da day

Goin’ to run all night
    Goin’ to run all day
    I bet my money on a bob-tailed nag
    Somebody bet on the gray

Oh, the long tailed filly and the big black horse,
    Doo-da, doo-da
    Come to a mud hole and they all cut across,
    Oh, de doo-da day

Goin’ to run all night
    Goin’ to run all day
    I bet my money on a bob-tailed nag
    Somebody bet on the gray

I went down there with my hat caved in,
    Doo-da, doo-da
    I came back home with a pocket full of tin
    Oh, de doo-da day

Goin’ to run all night
    Goin’ to run all day
    I bet my money on a bob-tailed nag
    Somebody bet on the gray

April 26, 2013 at 9:14 pm

Is this Hullabaloo?

This is a poorly timed statement, but in following KK’s economic development since he signed for 2 years, he’s up for arb this year. You know Rube don’t do arb. And you know Rube gives out bucks pretty easily.

This a long assed season, but KK might be sniffing the finish line to a wil ride to riches. 2 years at 8 mil? Hell, Blanton pitched well in spots, but KK’s pitching better than Joe did a lot of the time.

A little overrective to tonight’s wffort (so far), but it’s not his first good start.

34. Andrew From Waldorf

April 26, 2013 at 9:16 pm

KK

Is not the kind of name Rube over pays for.

KK will be gone.

Rube likes to spend on names to get the locals happy.
    and keep them happy.

April 26, 2013 at 9:20 pm

Fantasy ups and downs, RyHo, down, Beltran number 5, solo shot.

He might be gone, Biddle, Morgan, that sort of thing. But I don’t know that it’s a lock. His leaving has been a lock a couple times. He’s a survivor.

35. Andrew From Waldorf

April 26, 2013 at 9:22 pm

Yes I am having a good night.

Fantasy wise.

And hoping the phils can hang on here.

Im sitting Howard sunday vs the lefty though.

will the old man?

April 26, 2013 at 9:37 pm

“Yes I am having a good night.

Fantasy wise. ”

Careful, Andrew. This is a G rated family site. I’m sure there’s a place somewhere on the internet to reveal your fantasies in appreciative company.

36. Ken Bland

April 26, 2013 at 9:33 pm

Good RyHo story if I don’t screw it up and make it sound like ya hadda be there.

Couple years ago, he was in Slump City, and everyone’s bitching about his making a conscious effort not to strike out, but he wasn’t hitting for power.

Thinking that message boards are shared thinking with the team on the field (cough break), this one person, the biggest RyHo kiss ass since Ma and Pa Howard quipped, “Howard needs to concentrate on striking out 200 times.” Accurate quote, and a true story.

Speaking of 1B types, I shoulda had Albert on ny favorite non Phils players. I’ve read the word decline in sintences with his name for 4 years now. Hell, I’d love to decline from his digits. Even last year wound up pretty, maybe even very good. 3 rips in a WS game. Memorable, and only half as memorable as the time Reggie cranked out 3.

April 26, 2013 at 9:35 pm

Same fan, after KK’s gem V The Cards last year offered a post game comment that they should trade Kendrick now, his value would never be higher.

Some peeps just can’t say nothing positive about nobody no time.

37. "Big Ed" Delahanty

April 26, 2013 at 9:36 pm

Man, Kendrick deserves some extra plaudits lately, and especially tonight – very efficient and strong outing. Mike Young restarting his hittin streak anew (3-4) and Howard with a bomb. Go Phils! I hope the old man lets KK finish the game, he deserves it.

April 26, 2013 at 9:39 pm

No question, KK deserves it, but sign of trouble, that’s past history. He deserves it up through his last pitch, which you’re only as good as.

Just win the game.

April 26, 2013 at 9:41 pm

I think Avitar City has a pic of the old man on schedule for tomorrow.

That be okay with you?

38. Ken Bland

April 26, 2013 at 9:43 pm

Andrew,

Maybe we should keep Jimmy another day. Keep him on probation maybe?

39. Andrew From Waldorf

April 26, 2013 at 9:45 pm

I get Petitbone confused with Paplebomb.

Help me tomorrow

40. Andrew From Waldorf

April 26, 2013 at 9:46 pm

I wish J. Basepaths would be traded.

I am a realist though so I will be hoping he does well tomorrow.

As I root for this team.

Winner winner

Chicken dinner!

41. Andrew From Waldorf

April 26, 2013 at 9:48 pm

My opinion on Jimmy Basepaths wont change tomorrow.

Its built up for a long time.

So if he hits 4 homers Ill till feel the same.

But I will be happy if it helps them win.