2013 Gameday

Gameday: Phillies vs. Braves

Philadelphia Phillies vs. Atlanta Braves

Roy Halladay vs. Paul Maholm

Time: 7 PM, Turner Field
Weather: Chance of rain, 47
Media: Twitter and Facebook

After what must be the longest off day of the season–the day off immediately following Opening Day–the Phillies return to action tonight, seeking to even their series with the Braves.

Tonight’s game is the most highly-anticipated Roy Halladay start in quite some time. In year’s past, the feeling going into a Halladay start was confidence bordering on arrogance. Those days seem a distant memory, as Halladay is the biggest question mark the Phillies have right now. How will he fair in regular season action? Can he bounce back from the lethargy/stomach bug/wet mound/poorly rubbed baseballs? We’ll soon find out. There are no more excuses hanging out there for Doc. It’s time to put up or shut up.

Truth be told, he could’ve drawn a better opponent than Atlanta to make his 2013 debut. Over four starts last season, Doc posted an 11.21 ERA against the Braves (including infamously blowing a six-run lead). That was the highest ERA Halladay had against any opponent in 2013.

Countering Halladay will be Paul Maholm. At 30 years old, Maholm, a veteran, has spent his entire career in the NL. So the Phils have seen a lot of him and have had success. Maholm has a 5.16 ERA in nine career starts against Philly. Michael Young, John Mayberry Jr., and Erik Kratz have great numbers against him in limited ABs.

LINEUP: Revere CF, Rollins SS, Utley 2B, Howard 1B, Young 3B, Brown LF, Mayberry RF, Kratz C, Halladay P

QUESTIONS: How will Halladay look after struggling in his last handful of Spring starts? Can the Phillies offense continue to make starting pitchers work like they did on Monday?

GAMEDAY BEER Abita Purple Haze

Brewed in Braves country, Abita’s Purple Haze is a perfect accompaniment to watching the Phillies play in the heart of Dixie. A fruity beer with a hint of wheat in the aftertaste, it’ll pair well with some Memphis-style barbecue and a side of coleslaw.  -RD

1. Andrew From Waldorf

April 3, 2013 at 5:13 pm

Isnt lee better than Halladay at this point?

When will Howard get his first hit?

Ill go with the 7th inning

On Friday

April 12th

Well this is a must win game.

Go Phils!

2. Nah.Roots

April 3, 2013 at 6:23 pm

The worst work day of the year is finally over.

3. Morris Buttermaker

April 3, 2013 at 7:00 pm

Ok boys, we got a game with the Braves tonight. And that means just one thing. Bad news for the Braves!

4. Andrew From Waldorf

April 3, 2013 at 7:12 pm

Braves feed only tonight.

Not only are they horrible

Man I miss Wheeler.

Someone pass on to me some of his anecdotes

• Georgiafrog

April 3, 2013 at 9:15 pm

It’s funny. Braves fan here. Anyone but your home feed is terrible.

5. Morris Buttermaker

April 3, 2013 at 7:21 pm

If you are currently depressed about the Phillies lineup for the year, go check out the Marlins line up tonight. One glimpse of who is batting cleanup will cheer you up real quick.

• Ken Bland

April 3, 2013 at 7:27 pm

Must be referencing Polly especially. He’s been hitting 4 the last couple weeks. It’s temporary til whatshisname gets back. But it does look strange.

6. Ken Bland

April 3, 2013 at 7:24 pm

The cutter away was the soring proble, He went straight inside 4 pitches to Simmons, and looked grreat.

And a 91 fastball leds off heyward.

7. Andrew From Waldorf

April 3, 2013 at 7:26 pm

Ken what was doc topping out at in 2011?

Serious question

• Ken Bland

April 3, 2013 at 7:30 pm

91 and rarely. I think we could get a specific answer from Fangraphs, but that’s pretty accurate. If he threw 92, I don’t remember it.

• Ken Bland

April 3, 2013 at 7:32 pm

sorry, Andrew, I was thinking you asked about last year.

In ’11, he might have been hitting 93 on a mildly consistent basis.

• Ken Bland

April 3, 2013 at 7:40 pm

Halladay was 92 and change through 2010, 91 and change in ’11 (on average), right around 90 last year.

Have to respect the reality of the steady slippage.

8. Andrew From Waldorf

April 3, 2013 at 7:29 pm

Can we blame this on Kratz?

Again why isnt Lee the #2?

• "Big Ed" Delahanty

April 3, 2013 at 7:44 pm

I think Cholly wanted to break-up the consecutive left-handers, but do not quote me on that.

9. Bart Shart

April 3, 2013 at 7:32 pm

I do not see win #200 in Doc’s future tonight. Hope I’m wrong. It is NOT Kratz’ fault.

10. Tracey

April 3, 2013 at 7:33 pm

Hmn… this is not inspiring confidence…

11. Tracey

April 3, 2013 at 7:33 pm

Let’s go ra-ain!
    Let’s go ra-ain!

12. Andrew From Waldorf

April 3, 2013 at 7:40 pm

Brutal and painful

• Ken Bland

April 3, 2013 at 7:42 pm

it’s really comparable to your very worst expectation coming to reality. It voids the “never as bad as it seems” usaul occurrence.

13. "Big Ed" Delahanty

April 3, 2013 at 7:40 pm

Game 1 it was BJ. Tonight it’s Justin. Shake it off, Doc. Settle. And as I type this, run number 3 crosses the plate. Foul and oderous Braves! Damn thee! C’mon Phils!

• chuck schreiber

April 3, 2013 at 10:45 pm

Game one BJ??? No it was also Justin…

14. Mike

April 3, 2013 at 7:41 pm

I wish Amaro hadn’t p***yfooted around in the offseason and aquired J. Upton. B.J. is overrated, but Justin is monster…

15. Ken Bland

April 3, 2013 at 7:44 pm

After Kratz, you can’t pinch hit for Doc, but you really have to think about it.

But you absolutely let him bat.

16. Andrew From Waldorf

April 3, 2013 at 7:45 pm

I am not a sentimental person

When doc cant pitch anymore dont pitch him

Howard cant hit lefties? Bench him

• Ken Bland

April 3, 2013 at 7:50 pm

yeah, well, they are both evolving processes. You can’t just overreact 1 day and say that’s it.

I don’t disagree, but the when of it just isn’t reqal simple.

Like in Doc’s case, you have to give him more starts, even if it’s as few as 4 or 5 more at least.

17. Tracey

April 3, 2013 at 7:57 pm

OK, this is looking better… 🙂

18. Ken Bland

April 3, 2013 at 7:58 pm

At least the results were temporarily comforting there. 6Ks in 2 innings with that pitching line is incredible.

19. Joe a

April 3, 2013 at 8:01 pm

20. Andrew From Waldorf

April 3, 2013 at 8:03 pm

I think doc will turn it around and maybe as anothe big year or 2 coming

now about Howard….

21. Andrew From Waldorf

April 3, 2013 at 8:08 pm

Oh my

no comment

• Ken Bland

April 3, 2013 at 8:10 pm

I wanted to wait to see what you’d say.

Not much to say. No comment about says it all.

22. Ken Bland

April 3, 2013 at 8:11 pm

God only knows what that pitch was.

23. Ken Bland

April 3, 2013 at 8:12 pm

7Ks. Unbelievable.

24. Andrew From Waldorf

April 3, 2013 at 8:13 pm

Just to clarify

Paul Malholm has a 66-84 career record and 4.26 ERA

And yes Ken he was undrafted in my fantasy league and I should have gotten him if only for one start.

• Ken Bland

April 3, 2013 at 8:16 pm

On those surface numbers, that speaks to his stops in Pburgh and Wrigley. A 4.26, in this day and age should be several games better than 18 under .500. He’s a competent enough pitcher.

25. Ken Bland

April 3, 2013 at 8:14 pm

If Lincoln hadn’t abolished slavery, Halladay weould not be a big leaguer. He’d be working on Freeman’s plantation.

26. "Big Ed" Delahanty

April 3, 2013 at 8:16 pm

Doc is mowing them down; his six-shooters are alight. Ken and Andrew, I am in on the no comment on Ryan. C’mon boys! We can win this!

• Ken Bland

April 3, 2013 at 8:18 pm

The K total is truly amazing considering his location is far from great by any standard.

27. Andrew From Waldorf

April 3, 2013 at 8:18 pm

Sorry Ken I dont work blue.

Can you get 25 Ks and give up 12 runs?

28. Ken Bland

April 3, 2013 at 8:20 pm

hey Ed,

Not to distract you, but if you ever want to change the 1 pic that you’ve used of Ed, here’s a page full of alternate choices. I mean the pics fine, I just figured I’d send you this in case something on here is inspiring.

29. Andrew From Waldorf

April 3, 2013 at 8:24 pm

I want a photo of him falling over Niagra Falls.

• Ken Bland

April 3, 2013 at 8:25 pm

stop making me laugh when the Phils are losing.

How bout young Dom?

30. Ken Bland

April 3, 2013 at 8:24 pm

79 thru 3 for Doc.

I guess 1 more inning.

Scoreboard watch in progress, Red Sox 4, Empire 0/ Talk about prime overreaction territory, cept it might not be overreaction.

Oriole magic still in progress. 3-0 over the Rays. Whatever Chen pitching.

Beckett V Timmy later. That series has been living up to advanced billing.

31. Ken Bland

April 3, 2013 at 8:31 pm

Now at this point, I’ll guess Charlie gets some questions or criticsm for not pinch hitting. Doc really shouldn’t go more than 1 more inning, at 79 pitches, and 2 on, down 3, you need runs.

There’s not really a definite right answer, but now, you see how what was done worked out.

I can’t imagine Doc going over 105 pitches, but you know how Doc is, and that grimace he carries when they wanna pull him.

32. Andrew From Waldorf

April 3, 2013 at 8:33 pm

My better record bet is with the Mets.
    Ive never lost it since 2007
    Id always like that score included

0-6 with RISP

Its deja vu all over again

I think you leave Halladay in there

33. Tracey

April 3, 2013 at 8:34 pm

34. Andrew From Waldorf

April 3, 2013 at 8:34 pm

Atlanta was interviewing his dad and mom when that bmb happened.

Ken I am emailing you my addess will you come over and pistol whip me?

35. brooks

April 3, 2013 at 8:41 pm

Waiting for something to happen other than the pitcher giving up HRs.
    95 pitches in 3.1 innings. Enough for tonight Roy.

36. Just Fire Manuel Now

April 3, 2013 at 8:43 pm

Bonehead did not take long to show his bumbling ways this season:

Let Halladay hit with two men on, when he was laboring down three runs, before lifting him after one more out. Incredible!

37. brooks

April 3, 2013 at 8:44 pm

Valdez comes in and gives up a walk. That’s not what we had in mind.

38. brooks

April 3, 2013 at 8:48 pm

Durbin last night, Valdes tonight – wait, what are we supposed to do??

• Ken Bland

April 3, 2013 at 8:55 pm

What a delusant question.

Clearly, the answer is to re-sign David Herndon.

39. brooks

April 3, 2013 at 8:52 pm

Way to go Raul you got somebody out

40. Andrew From Waldorf

April 3, 2013 at 8:55 pm

Hey Brooks!

At least I have Freeman in fantasy and this is the exact type of game that Howard hits that 700 foot solo shot!

41. Andrew From Waldorf

April 3, 2013 at 8:56 pm

Maybe have a starter get a quality start?

42. Ken Bland

April 3, 2013 at 8:58 pm

If Hamels, Lee, Halladay and Kendrick all suck, how many losses?

43. Brooks

April 3, 2013 at 8:59 pm

are you sure this isn’t Cy Maholm the Phils are facing tonight?

44. Ken Bland

April 3, 2013 at 9:02 pm

It’s an official game. Joy to the World.

Must win baseball at it’s best.

45. Brooks

April 3, 2013 at 9:02 pm

Ah, I see – that is how a 3 up and 3 down is supposed to work – wow…

• Andrew From Waldorf

April 3, 2013 at 9:04 pm

Unfortunately I am only drinking on days that start with a T now.

46. Andrew From Waldorf

April 3, 2013 at 9:02 pm

I honestly think if Doc and Lee suck this team can lose 95-100

My hopes of contention are dwindling

I think this more about the Phils sucking than the Braves being the 27 Yankees

Brooks I posted Cy Maholms career stats earlier..

Was any person here not expecting this?

Its been 3 or 4 years of this

47. loupossehl

April 3, 2013 at 9:11 pm

Any more of this after today, and “Why is Dominic Brown on this team?” will take on a whole new meaning.

48. Brooks

April 3, 2013 at 9:14 pm

Howard, Young need to start hitting and we need some starting pitching – oh yeah, some middle relief pitching, oh yeah, a real catcher…

49. Andrew From Waldorf

April 3, 2013 at 9:14 pm

Almost a homer

I mean you always swing at the first pitch leading off an inning trailing 7-0

Would have been a homer most nights and it would be 7-1

50. Andrew From Waldorf

April 3, 2013 at 9:15 pm

the Braves broadcasters are on a Mike Emerick level

Been bad mouthing CBP all the time

i mean really?

51. Andrew From Waldorf

April 3, 2013 at 9:18 pm

SF and Arizona are the 2 best by far.

The Phillies is pretty bad.

The Braves Nationals and Marlins announcers are the very worst though.

I enjoy Milwaukee too and quite a few of the midwestern feeds.

Can tolerate the Mets.

The Yankess are unworldy bad and out of the discussion

• Georgiafrog

April 3, 2013 at 10:42 pm

Braves broadcast is not as good as when Skip was alive, but I guess you get used to it. All I’m saying. It’s comfortable when you hear it all the time. By the way, Uggla for Utley?

52. Bart Shart

April 3, 2013 at 9:19 pm

And Brooks, let’s not forget that we also need a manager who has game-time strategy skill, because it certainly ain’t Ole Cholly Manuel. Perhaps he should be fired now instead of prolonging the torture.

• Brooks

April 3, 2013 at 9:24 pm

Pitchers aren’t pitching, hitters are not producing – sounds like they need some inspiration and you’re right its not coming from Cholly

53. Brooks

April 3, 2013 at 9:21 pm

I know Maholm has thrown 97 pitches but, taking him out before the end of the 6th with a 7-0 lead?
    For the Phils, it might be a chance to score.

54. Brooks

April 3, 2013 at 9:21 pm

NM it’s Krapts at bat.

55. Andrew From Waldorf

April 3, 2013 at 9:24 pm

Who wins in a foot race
    Howard, Kratz,Charlie Manuel or the pope?

56. Brooks

April 3, 2013 at 9:25 pm

Pat the Bat!

57. Andrew From Waldorf

April 3, 2013 at 9:59 pm

leaving howard in n the 7th to face a lefty he is 0 for the career on

Also rollins popping up 0-2 with 2 on down by 7

you swing there you hit the ball fard or dont swing

58. "Big Ed" Delahanty

April 3, 2013 at 10:31 pm

So instead of working on my grad paper due tomorrow, I watched this train wreck of a game. I guess it proves that saying true about not being able to turn away. Hoping Cliff can change the fates tomorrow.

59. chuck schreiber

April 3, 2013 at 10:52 pm

I wonder how many lefthanded starters this lineup will see this year. I’ll set the over/under at 110..and take the over, The NL will be calling them up from AAA whenever the P’s are on the schedule. Terrible,,,

60. SavannahPhilliesPhan

April 4, 2013 at 6:56 am

I am forced to listen to the Atlanta broadcasting everytime the Phillies play here! They are the worse and shameless. I just turn off the sound. I can not stand to listen to them especially if we are losing!!!

61. afjkqtsj

April 4, 2013 at 7:03 am

Fat Watchers Neighborhood See Blog Post-1
    I’ve a whole new finest buddy! Nike + is really a blessing in the case of operating. Before I would just run all-around aimlessly for any certain level of time, not figuring out the distance I ran or the pace I had run for that whole time. Until finally NOW!About 2 weeks ago I received my Nike + Sensor at $19.99 plus tax/shipping. You can easily also decide to purchase the Nike+ operating sneakers to ensure the sensor slips most suitable to the shoe, to get a minimal $100-$150, or order slightly pouch to go on your by now favorite working footwear. I chose to decide to purchase the pouch on Amazon for $2.99 plus tax/shipping and it functions just fine. The Nike+ sensor operates instantly using a new ipod touch/ipod, but you will need to get a transmitter for your Ipod Nano (I have the nano, it had been only $10 more and also you hold it for daily life). The Nike+ will talk the information of your run through your ipod speakers whereas you may be operating. It really is Outstanding! Functions I’ve located up to now:one. You’ll be able to pick a pre-set distance or pick a time for you to run and it’ll count off the miles/minutes in intervals as you strategy your aim. It simply says “5 minutes, or one.five miles to go”. If you’d like it to tell you the pace you might have to press the center button in your Ipod. It’s slightly irritating that I have to press that button everytime I want to know my distance/time/pace. It could be that there’s a way all-around this, but I have only had it for 2 weeks, so I ought to test into this.two. It appears like I’ve burned about 3600 calories in 2 weeks and run nearly 26 miles and my common pace is about 11mph. For that subsequent 12 weeks, it demonstrates me what day to run and the way far I ought to be working. Many times I run for the precise date, frequently I never. There are plenty of completely different ambitions you can establish for by yourself and it’ll always keep track of it every time. Currently my objective will be to burn up 6000 calories by 5/13, run sixteen times by 5/13 and run at a pace of 10mph for 5 of my runs. I just ran my primary run at a tempo of 9:51, so I am absolutely enhancing. (Back in November I started off out at 12mph!DOWNSIDE: The Nike+ web-site looks to be slower then most. Takes slightly time for it to load specifics irrespective of what laptop I am utilising. It is easy to see a summary of the run on the Ipod Shop webpage at the same time. 3. DOWNSIDE: The sensor’s battery cannot be replaced. It says it lasts 1000 hours, but right after it truly is carried out, you may have to purchase a new 1 at $19.99 a pop. Which is not terrible, nevertheless it appears they could produce a battery for it. Standard of Apple however!There are several a great deal more features and I could go on and on about it for days. It will be overwhelmingly a winner in my book as a consequence of selling price as well as quantity of methods you can easily track objectives and previous runs at the same time. I would tremendously encourage for everyone looking for a improved way to track their progress while not spending a fortune.

62. Aaribeeagef

April 4, 2013 at 9:33 am

I’m a newbie here and I’d like to make a small contribution to your community. Recently I’ve found a site, where we can download any mp3 in 30 seconds. The music database is really huge. Some genres are well presented, some are worse. But it’s the most convenient site I’ve seen, ’cause it allows us to download music for free online by 2 clicks only. Just try it to believe it: