Oswalt Tweets, Says He’d Love to Come Back to Philly

Last night, Roy Oswalt posted some interesting tweets in the midst of a terrible showing by Roy Halladay during the Phillies 7-2 loss to the Mets:

Interesting comments from the former Phillie, and especially interesting timing. For almost a year, the twitter account went without a tweet. That changed in a big way.

I spoke with his agent Bob Garber through email today, and he said that the tweets were true. So this sounds like a pitcher who wants back in.

1. Andrew From Waldorf

April 9, 2013 at 12:37 pm

Not any: “there is no excuse”.

Used to give a negative response: ““Is anything wrong?” “No.””.

Not at all; to no extent: “they were no more able to perform the task than I was”.

A negative answer or decision, as in voting.

any – none – neither

not – nope

negative – denial – nay – refusal – negation – rejection

• frank

April 9, 2013 at 1:50 pm

Doesn’t every aging player whose career is over say the same thing. I feel better than I’ve felt for years.

• Andrew from the place where people have a clue

April 9, 2013 at 4:42 pm

Yes, absolutely not … we wouldn’t want to do anything to upset this 1:3 win-loss ratio.

• Lefty

April 9, 2013 at 6:37 pm

AFTPWPHAC is too long to type.

2. R.C. Collins

April 9, 2013 at 1:25 pm

Jeepers, only 35,000 last night. Three straight games under 40,000 after not having that happen since 2009. I have a feeling the Pirates series coming up in a few weeks will see games dipping under 30,000. These are the things that will catch the attention of ownership. That’s when the changes start.

• Karsten

April 9, 2013 at 6:41 pm

I agree.

What’s your over/under on how long until Amaro’s fired?

I say he’s done by All-star break.

3. Chuck A.

April 9, 2013 at 2:29 pm

“Lets clear the air ,I was asked by a Philly fan if I would come back to Philly , I answered that question, it had nothing to do with doc”

Right. And Ronald Reagan is still in office, too.

• frank

April 9, 2013 at 4:11 pm

I don’t get that. Are you talking about the team or the city?

• Chuck A.

April 9, 2013 at 4:29 pm

What don’t you get? I took Little Roy’s quote, “Let’s clear the air…….” and sarcastically made a comment about it.

I don’t believe for one minute that there isn’t at least a small something about Doc’s situation that has made Roy Oswalt think about a return to the Phillies. But, of course he flat out denies it, which I don’t really believe.

4. George

April 9, 2013 at 3:10 pm

He probably feels good because he hasn’t been strained by pitching.

5. Taylor

April 9, 2013 at 4:18 pm

Bring him back. Just to photobomb.

6. frank

April 9, 2013 at 4:48 pm

Sorry chuck. I didn’t see that quote from doc. Sometimes I go days without reading this blog, so I miss a lot about what’s going on with the phillies. Actually, this is the only blog where I get my phillies info.

7. Ken Bland

April 9, 2013 at 5:07 pm

This is the world we live in. Potential headline grabbing news, based on emotional appeal pops up, and it swirls into public attention.

The fascinating thing is if it’s a good editorial decision to even carry it, blog, newspaper or sports talk.

Roy has shown no inclination to compromise on pay the last couple years, and it’d be quite a surprise if he’s worth pay commensurate with his experiemce. If anyone replaces Doc, it’s within.

Just one person’s view, but it’s a silly story.

8. Karsten

April 9, 2013 at 5:20 pm

It doesn’t really matter whether Oswalt’s feeling great.

Not even King Felix could get Phillies into the playoffs this year. The roster has too many flaws and the competition in the division is too good. Both Atlanta and Washington are at least one level above Phillies right now.

I mean, look at some of the players aqcuired in the off season. Delmon Young? Michael Young?!!

Put Cliff Lee, Chooch, Pap, Rollins and Utley on the trade block ASAP, and get prospects in return. It’s time to rebuild this ballclub, and it should’ve started yesterday.

If Ruben somehow can get rid of Ryan Howard (eat lots of money, send him to an AL team maybe, how about the Mariners?), he would completely remedy his utter failures of the last 3 seasons.

• Chuck A.

April 9, 2013 at 6:19 pm

Yeah, and one of those “last 3 seasons” just happened to be a team that won 102 games. The fact that they didn’t advance beyond St. Louis isn’t Amaro’s fault.

• Karsten

April 9, 2013 at 6:36 pm

Bro, that 102 win season was basically the death spasms of the great team that was created by Gillick.

Amaro decided to basically unravel the whole system that Gillick had set up, which at that time looked healthy, from the MLB team down all the way to the A ball club.

There’s also been little influx of home grown talent after Amaro took over. Wonder why that is? That was a rhetorical question)

• Chuck A.

April 9, 2013 at 6:46 pm

We saw death spasms in 2010??? No… baseball’s best team that year just happened to run into a hot Cardinals team.

April 9, 2013 at 6:36 pm

I see absolutely no harm in bringing him in to have a look-see. Check him out physically and let him throw for them, that’s all. If he ain’t got it, See-ya.

I’m not kidding. What harm can come from it? And if he won’t put on a pitching demonstration without a deal? Then tell him he can kiss their assets goodbye.

If he’s got anything left, sign him to a minor league deal and see if he can pitch his way out of AAA. If he can’t, he can join his local slow pitch softball league.

• Karsten

April 9, 2013 at 6:39 pm

I’d be cool to sign him to a one year deal, only if the intent was to trade him mid season at the deadline for prospects.

If he’s got decent stuff still, sign him if the deal is affordable. Then use him as a trade chip to a contender.

• R.C. Collins

April 9, 2013 at 7:20 pm

Well, Oswalt had a 6.00 ERA in the AL last year and Halladay’s ERA sits at over 14.00 right now in what is considered to be an easier league to pitch. I don’t see how little Roy would hurt things – he could actually be used to piggyback big Roy’s starts, which are only lasting three or four innings at this point. It all depends on the money, of course.