Fightins

Phenomenal – Biddle Strikes Out 10 Again

How about this Jesse Biddle? 10 more strikeouts in 6 IP, giving up only one hit. He’s got a 1.74 ERA with a .114 BAA and just 12 BB in 31 IP.

Ryan Kelly of Service Electric passed along this video of his Ks. We will have much more on Biddle, including some more video, exclusive post-game audio, and notes from Jay Floyd, who lasted all 12 innings at the game today, scouting the six pitched by the curve-balling lefty.

1. Frank

April 28, 2013 at 7:44 pm

I can’t tell from that video footage, but it looks like almost every single strikeout was on a curve…is that right? At least the majority seemed that way…

2. Ken Bland

April 28, 2013 at 9:03 pm

I guess it stands to reason that when you see highlights that lend toward this, but the thing that stands out from this, and the 16K effort is he’s very adept at repeating his delivery, and really looks mechanically advanced. .

3. Jaron B

April 28, 2013 at 9:30 pm

If he keeps this up, the Phillies will have to promote him to AAA in two months!!!

4. Bruce

April 28, 2013 at 11:26 pm

it’s nice to read a success story on a minor league prospect for the Phillies. However, I’m not going Ga Ga over a double A performance regardless how impressive or overpowering it may looked. I’ll reserve judgement for later months of the season and note the adjustments the kid will eventually need to make when he goes around the league a third time or more. I’ll really be impressed if can do equally well at the next level (triple A in Lehigh Valley) next year.

5. Chuck A.

April 29, 2013 at 8:28 am

Let’s see…

2015:

Hamels
    Lee
    Morgan
    Biddle
    Pettibone

????

Could be really good….

• Ken Bland

April 29, 2013 at 12:18 pm

Chuckster,

I hope this subject doesn’t get dragged through the mud, 2 years away as it is, and a little silly to overkill, Bu-bu-but, I have a question fer ya.

If you beat out Andrew for RAJ Jr.’s replacement, would you feel peachy keen with the 4L, 1 right, or would you go out of your way a tad to make it 3 and 2 (either way). I know lefty pitching’s great to have, but is 4 and 1 overkill?

• Lefty

April 29, 2013 at 12:48 pm

GRRRRRR!!!

Seriously, I agree that 4 and 1 is not optimal.

• Ken Bland

April 29, 2013 at 1:05 pm

Well, thanks for agreeing, even though I didn’t exactly say I thought it was overweighted. But I can see the implication, particularly read lefthanded.

Truth be told, I guess if I had to express an opinion on it, I’d go back to the 60s Dodgers ballclubs. They ran Sandy, Osteen, Podres and Double D in their 4 man, and of course Sutton, so obviously I’ve got something wrong, but it definitely had a lefty flavor. So I’d take the message from that as just get your best 5, and let the hand be damned as it didn’t drag them down. Course they don’t make baseball thinking like they used to.

Anyway, 5 quality strarters would be cool. But no offense, it’s weird thinking of it as so left handed. I really don’t know that I have an opinion on the balance.

• Chuck A.

April 29, 2013 at 1:07 pm

Yeah, it’s not optimal but if the results in 2 years time give justification for setting it up like that then I’m not going to go out of my way to be at 3 and 2….JUST to be at 3 and 2.

• hk

April 29, 2013 at 1:08 pm

I would have no problem with 4 LHP’s and 1 RHP in the starting rotation. CBP is much more friendly to LH hitters than it is to RH hitters, so having such a mix in the rotation should be beneficial at home.

• Lefty

April 29, 2013 at 1:56 pm

“I know lefty pitching’s great to have, but is 4 and 1 overkill?”

Over weighted? overkill? Yeah your implication is pretty clear even from my side.

BTW- Are you aware that the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, and vice versa? That’s why we left-handers are the only ones in our “right mind” .

• Ken Bland

April 29, 2013 at 3:44 pm

Must be a slow news day. Peeps prolly see a new name atop the message list, and open it expecting fresh hot Phillies discussion. Course when they see whose name it is….well, never mind.

Anyway, thanks for including the ? mark in the copy and paste that at least mildly reflects that the question was stated.

Keep thinking I’m right handed, and your polar opposite. It might not be making for good discussion, but it’s long at least.

Smiles from

Ken E Ambitexturous, or however the hell you spell it.

6. George

April 29, 2013 at 8:06 pm

Since it’s two years off, I doubt if Hamels Lee Morgan Biddle Pettibone will be the 2015 rotation. One or more of these guys may be traded to shore up some of the weaker positions. At least there’s some depth (Kendrick, Cloyd, Ethan Martin, and maybe others) so that could be done. Depends on who wants who, injuries, attitudes, what can be gotten in return, etc. At this point I’m not going to worry about 4 lefties, five lefties, or even six lefties, or the same numbers of righties.

By the way, Ken, the correct spelling is ambidextrous. I know, because I just happen to be semi-ambidextrous. (I’ve been told I can be pretty half-assed, too.)

Yep, it’s a slow news day!

7. Ken Bland

April 29, 2013 at 8:13 pm

“This entire discussion reminds me of an old joke about the guy who got in an accident and had to have the entire left side of his body removed. He’s all right now.”

Best line on the blog since RISP became RIP. ^5.

8. Ken Bland

April 29, 2013 at 8:21 pm

By the way, I remember discussing KK about a month ago with you, and he was outstanding the other night. I know you enjoyed his effort.

9. brooks

April 29, 2013 at 10:36 pm

I was pretty excited about Tyler Cloyd and wont scratch him out just yet. What a record for an entire year – that is an accomplishment to bank on.