Phils Mash Mets In Saturday Matinee – Phillies Nation
2013 Game Recaps

Phils Mash Mets In Saturday Matinee

The Big Piece can still dazzle us with his monster home runs. (PHOTO: AP)

The Phillies offense had the right amount of zen against the Mets today. (PHOTO: AP)

Behind the power of 12 hits, including back-to-back home runs, and stellar pitching from the bullpen, the Phillies slugged their way to an easy 9-4 victory over the Mets today. The win was their fifth straight at Citifield, and the first of rookie Jonathan Pettibone’s career.

PASSABLE PETTIBONE

– In his second career start, the 22-year old Pettibone wasn’t flawless, but he had the luxury of pitching with a lead, and he did a great job of limiting the damage through five innings.

– He started the game by putting two men on, first hitting Mike Baxter with an inside slider, and then walking Ruben Tejada. However, a timely 6-4-3 doubleplay–he’d get two of them on the day–and a strikeout of David Wright would allow Pettibone to escape the inning without any damage.

– The Mets broke through in the second after back-to-back, two-out doubles–one a line drive that glanced off the glove of Jimmy Rollins–made it 1-0. They put the pressure on Pettibone again in the fourth, loading the bases with no outs. But, just like in the second, he limited the damage by allowing one run. He’d allow one more run in the fifth before being pulled from the game.

– Pettibone’s final line: 5.0 IP, 7 H, 3 R, 2BB, 4 K.  One thing to take away from this start is Pettibone’s composure. He worked himself into a few jams, but never seemed afraid to throw his fastball over the plate. If he can continue to do that, it will work to his benefit, helping him to avoid compounding rallies by issuing free passes. Having said that, he allowed a ton of hard hit line drives over five innings. He’s throwing the ball over the plate, but he still needs to learn to command the strike zone a little better and avoid the barrel of the bat. Still, this wasn’t a bad couple of starts for the young Pettibone. He’s shown some encouraging signs and has kept the team in games.

THE LINEUP FINDING LIFE?

– After going 6-for-15 and scoring all four runs last night, the Phillies top four once again got the job in route to a victory. Collectively, they hit 7-for-17, scoring six runs and driving in three. Their effort helped lead the team to a season-high nine runs.

– It was Pettibone of all hitters who got the offense started after the Phils failed to breakthrough in the first two innings. His leadoff single in the third was the first of three straight hits, including an RBI double by Chase Utley. After Rollins scored on a passed ball, and Michael Young struck out, Ryan Howard hit a sac fly to left to give the team its third run. They would add on another five runs in the fourth with an RBI single from Howard, a three-run bomb by Domonic Brown, and a solo shot by John Mayberry to make it 8-2. Laynce Nix drove in the ninth run with an RBI single in the seventh.

– The Phillies have hammered Mets pitching early on, scoring an impressive 30 runs in five games (my superior math skills tell me that’s six runs a game), while notching 19 extra base hits. If only they could play the Mets all the time.

– File it under “How ’bout that?” stats, but Pettibone has reached base in two of his four plate appearances this season and scored both times. He’s helped the team in two rallies so far, and looks to be the spark this offense so desperately needs (I’m just kidding, you guys).

THE BULLPEN DOMINATES

– After watching Pettibone exit the game in the fifth, it was hard not to wonder if a five-run lead would be enough for the Phillies to win with 12 outs needed from the bullpen. Such worries would be ill-found, however, as the bullpen cruised. Raul Valdes lowered his ERA by a full run, as he effortlessly worked his way through a perfect sixth and seventh, striking out two. If that wasn’t enough to shock you, Chad Durbin followed up with a 1-2-3 inning of his own. The effort capped a stretch in which Phillies pitchers retired 10 straight batters.

– After Jeremy Horst allowed a solo home run to John Buck to start the ninth, he’d settle in to retire the next three hitters and end the ball game.

GAME NOTES

– The Phillies look for their first sweep of 2013 tomorrow when they send Cole Hamels (0-3, 5.40) to the mound against Jonathan Niese (2-1, 3.81).

– Tomorrow’s game marks the return of Carlos Ruiz after a 25-game suspension. Pop the champagne!

April 27, 2013 at 4:18 pm

Winner Winner Chicken DInner- I just wanted to say that for my sidekick, give him a little break tonight. He’s been working hard lately.

• Andrew From Waldorf

April 27, 2013 at 4:21 pm

He beats me to it.

When they lose tomorrow you know who to blame.

• Johanna

April 27, 2013 at 4:23 pm

What did I predict! Sweep!

2. Andrew From Waldorf

April 27, 2013 at 4:19 pm

Winner Winner
    chicken dinner.

Wish could play the mets more.

They are who we thought they were.

Roll on Howard!

I have a trade request pending for Rollins.

We can do this.

• Lefty

April 27, 2013 at 4:21 pm

You gonna win your bet this year?

• Andrew From Waldorf

April 27, 2013 at 4:26 pm

I think I win it one last year this year for sure.
        Mets will have tretches where they lose 15 of 20.

With Hallday Lee and Hamels all still being at least decent. I should hold on.

The future of that bet heavily favors the Mets.
        But once Ruben is gone I think the Phils could turn around real fast.
        They have a pay roll advantage.

• Lefty

April 27, 2013 at 4:47 pm

14 games left with them, and confidence is a good thing, but you’re calling it a little early IMO. After all Dewey defeated Truman once you know.

• Ken Bland

April 27, 2013 at 8:34 pm

The Phils have their number 4 hitter, and the Milwaukee Brewers have apparently finally found their replacement for Prince Fielder.

Another in the never ending series of if I hang around the game long enough, I’ll have seen it all.

1. Norichika Aoki (L) RF

2. Carlos Gomez (R) CF

3. Ryan Braun (R) LF

4. Yuniesky Betancourt (R) 3B

5. Rickie Weeks (R) 2B

6. Martin Maldonado (R) C

7. Blake Lalli (L) 1B

8. Alex Gonzalez (R) SS

9. Wily Peralta (R) P

April 27, 2013 at 4:23 pm

Great game! Pettibone looked sharp at times and I’m definitely happy with what he’s shown so far. Also loved Brown’s big HR.

4. pamikedc

April 27, 2013 at 4:34 pm

I had the Phils losing this and winning is Carlos’ return.

“Bullpen dominates.” Hmmm…well. I guess so. Valdes did well. BUT- w a no pressure situation sure Chad did okay. How about in a pressure situation??? Horst- cannot give up a moon shot Hr like that. No bueno!! He worked 2 full counts. Again, not good.

Cole needs to go at least 7 tomorrow.

5. pamikedc

April 27, 2013 at 4:36 pm

Also, any injury news w Benny Revere? Or is just a case of the stinkITIS and a “hammy” injury.

• Lefty

April 27, 2013 at 4:45 pm

Mike,
      The MLB fantasy site just says “any day”. Personally, I hope it’s a lot of days. I just,.. I don’t know, I don’t believe in this kid for some reason. My instincts tell me he’s not an MLB ballplayer, I hope I’m wrong.

Check this out, it’s got good injury updates for all teams.

• George

April 27, 2013 at 5:23 pm

I hope you’re wrong, too. He did cost something, and may be around a while.

Revere hasn’t shown anything so far, but he hasn’t had a lot of time on a new team, facing unfamiliar pitchers, with new coaches trying to aim him the right direction. I’m going to give him more rope myself. If he hangs himself with it, then so be it. It won’t be the first scouting mistake and it won’t be the last.

6. teeejay

April 27, 2013 at 6:20 pm

Yeah what is the deal with Mike Martinez? Whoops I mean Ben Revere. Is Marrinez hurt. Whoops I mean Revere. Wonder what will happen when Martinez comes back. Sighhh, did I do it again? Why do I keep getting Martinez and Revere mixed up?

7. glutenous

April 27, 2013 at 8:51 pm

Didn’t realize the Phillies were playing early today. Just checked the box score and what the hell happened out there today? 12 hits? 9 runs? What?!

8. Ken Bland

April 28, 2013 at 1:03 pm

I’m glad to see Fransden get a chance to play today. I would imagine he’ll see some time against The Tribe, and there has to be a first time in a while at some point, but if he does wind up playing 3 games in a row, it’s a little earlier that any rust would reduce. I wouldn’t call that secondary to his matchup history against Neice compared to RyHo, but it’s a factor.

9. Ken Bland

April 28, 2013 at 1:14 pm

That’s a horrible error call. It’s just a great, great play if Niese makes it.

10. Ken Bland

April 28, 2013 at 1:21 pm

The stats’ll show that as more runners on failed at bats, and that is the bottom line, but some decent fortune set it up. At least Niese had to work long, and perhaps hard to shut it down. 25 pitches.

April 28, 2013 at 1:37 pm

KB Do you have mlb.tv? They are giving the Phils game today for free and I’m watching. But it’s a good 30 seconds to a minute behind Gameday on my other window. If you have it, is it always like that? Or is there a way to make it right? I keep hitting the live button, but it doesn’t help.

• Ken Bland

April 28, 2013 at 1:42 pm

I watch off the mlb.com site…I guess that’s different considering an earlier conversation we had about it (?).

So I guess that’s the answer to your question.

But I’ll add as a side item it’s interesting that MLBTV has the Phils for free, because I could definitely be wrong about this, but I’ve often GLANCED at the lineup of games, and I have NEVER seen MLB.com offering a Phils game as their freebie of the day. I was wondering if it might finally happen V The Tribe.

• Lefty

April 28, 2013 at 1:48 pm

They seem to be having a big give away day today, a bunch of games free.

I don’t understand the difference between MLB.com, and MLB.tv?
        – and don’t recall a previous conversation?

• Ken Bland

April 28, 2013 at 1:54 pm

Yeah, we did,when you were telling me about the Extra Innings package. I think that’s more if you wanna watch on TV, where as mine is mostly pc driven, or other off the wall venues like a phone.

12. Ken Bland

April 28, 2013 at 2:06 pm

I went back to MLB.com, and thought I read it correctly before the game that Ynks and Jays was the freebie, maybe not, but thought I did, now I do see several games show as for free. Checking the timing on Gameday now, and the survey says……

well, they seem reasonably similar in timing.

13. Ken Bland

April 28, 2013 at 2:24 pm

If I’m not mistaken, Cliff, Doc and Cole have all walked 3 in one inning now this year. Thatr just makes ya jump up and down with excitement.

That’s pretty unbelievable.

• Ken Bland

April 28, 2013 at 2:26 pm

Chickieburger time from days gone by

No harm, no foul

Had ’em all the way

14. Ken Bland

April 28, 2013 at 2:31 pm

How bout that. Freddie batting 8 goes deep. That is one big hit.

But of course, Andrew would have preferenced a walk. Based on the theory a walk is better than a homer.

15. Ken Bland

April 28, 2013 at 2:45 pm

I think if I had the chance to ask Ruben 1 question, it would be did you guys give any thought to making Galvis a regular outfielder before you pulled the Revere deal. I guess the answer’s obvious, but that might have been sweet having the trade chips (if you’re gonna deal Vance and May) for something else would have been tres cool. Well, depending on what you dealt them for.

16. Ken Bland

April 28, 2013 at 2:53 pm

Niese bats 5 this inning. Id guess we see him 1 more frame (97 pitches). He bats 4 this inning, so he might not make it that far, but I suspect Terry lets him hit, exact circumstances a definite factor.

17. Ken Bland

April 28, 2013 at 3:00 pm

I assume Niese is back out. So aq battle might have ben won by not reaching his spot. We’ll see if he has 1 more inning left. He’s worked hard today. Not as hard as Cole’s had to, but his 97 pitch cout has been strenuous.

18. Ken Bland

April 28, 2013 at 3:03 pm

Yuni goes 2-5, drives a run in, and his presence encourages 2 Ryan Braun walks out of last night’s role as the cleanup guy, and he’s rewarded with a drop to 7.

Now Howard, oh never mind. It’d be too Sarge to complete the thought.

19. Ken Bland

April 28, 2013 at 3:06 pm

Nix is pretty cool. Earned a lifetime pass by helping Doc to 200, and apparently wants that pass validated. Nice play by the batboy to extend the atbat on a catchable fould pop. Cole could still win now.

20. Ken Bland

April 28, 2013 at 3:10 pm

Course Andrew’s not with us to enjoy that timely hit by Jimmy Batsman.

Cole could STILL get the win.

A little chess action comin’ up here. Be fun to see how the skippers match ’em up. Can’t believe RyHo’d face a righty.

21. Ken Bland

April 28, 2013 at 3:12 pm

This isn’t Niedenfeuer pitching to Jack Clark, but I can’t believe Terry didn’t go to a lefty. Make him pay, RyHo.

22. Ken Bland

April 28, 2013 at 3:14 pm

WP- Hamels

Darling said Jimmy “Cadillaced it there.”

Great line.

I didn’t realize Qualls was pitching.

I wanna wake up in a city that never sleeps. Love it.

23. Jeff of Nova

April 28, 2013 at 3:18 pm

Shame Andrew is not here to see the 2 he hates on most have back to back clutch hits in JRol and the Big Piece

• Ken Bland

April 28, 2013 at 3:23 pm

Ya think?

Andrew would tell us he called it. He said “don’t start RyHo V The Lefty, and he woulda told us how right he was.

In easy to read spacing, and with no typos.

• "Big Ed" Delahanty

April 28, 2013 at 3:27 pm

Lmao. : )

• Lefty

April 28, 2013 at 3:28 pm

I rarely do this, I think internet acronyms are silly. Big Ed beat me to it, but here we go anyway.

LMAO

24. Ken Bland

April 28, 2013 at 3:18 pm

That is some impressive work by the Phils, and nicely timed since we wanna see Mike Admas get back on track sooner than later after a little slump recently/.

This wouldn’t be a good game to lose.

Greatr work by the Big Piece. Not the hiot so much as giving Jimmy a chance to Cadillac it on the bases.

April 28, 2013 at 3:21 pm

A couple more non essential runs driven in by Howard there, Andrew. He’s only hitting like .420 career as a pinch hitter now. Best make room at the parade for me too, Andrew’s buying.

26. Ken Bland

April 28, 2013 at 3:30 pm

Similar5 efforts by Antonio and Cole today. All over the place, but got their jobs done. Wjy they ever allow lefties to pitch, I have no idea. I still consider Koufax’s 5 year run a phase. Lefties and strikes don’t belong in the same sentence. Don’t ask me how Cliff throiws 100 pitches, and 105 of ’em are strikes.

Can we get greedy and ask for a couple more runs?

• Lefty

April 28, 2013 at 3:34 pm

GRRRRR!

• Ken Bland

April 28, 2013 at 3:36 pm

hey, the truth hurts. I thought maybe you were righthanded, but went by the name Lefty.

• Lefty

April 28, 2013 at 4:22 pm

Yeah, yeah, you’re sour because you guys can’t hit us, been listening to it for years.

27. Ken Bland

April 28, 2013 at 3:38 pm

Looks to me like the Phils get Ubaldo Tuesday. Didn’t see an announcement, but I believe he
    s next up behind Masterson.

Should be able to kep some adequate offense going behind him, although the ast 3 games, while not smashing baseball is still above that.

28. Jeff of Nova

April 28, 2013 at 3:38 pm

Nice to see Brown and Mayberry put something together, they really need to be more consistent if this team keeps up this winning

29. Ken Bland

April 28, 2013 at 3:53 pm

Mike Adams back on track. Good to see.

Now as it stands now, with a lead of 4, text book wise, you don’t use Paps in the 9th, non save situation. I would, and I expect Charlie to. Hasn’t pitched in a couple days, day off tomorrow. Keep him fresh.

Seems a very easy call.

So does Paps will make it interesting since it’s not a tight situation.

30. chuck schreiber

April 28, 2013 at 3:57 pm

See what can happen when you DON”T start the “The Big Lummox, er Piece” against lefties. As I posted last week regarding the same subject and got numerous arguments “they don’t sit big hitters like Howard because of his salary” (Schmenk). I did say put Ruf in his slot however I also mentioned Young at 1st and Fransen at 3rd, it doesn’t matter which way you do it, a rightie replaced him and set the up the Howard pinch hit against a righthanded pitcher in a crucial situation. Cholly must have read my post. LOL

• Ken Bland

April 28, 2013 at 4:01 pm

You can’t exactly break it down so easily as to say sit him against all lefties. Granted, his numbers against lefties on the whole are weak, but you mix and match. The guy is a presence in the lineup. You may be overrating Ruf as much as you think Howard defenders are overrating him. I’m not trying to be critical of Ruf, but we’re not talking proven MLB commodity.

• c schreiber

April 28, 2013 at 5:30 pm

Sorry to disagree Ken but I must. Yes, sit him against ANY lefty starter. Ruf was a suggestion but any rightie will do except mini.

• Lefty

April 28, 2013 at 4:26 pm

I doubt Charlie read your comment, it was hardly a new idea on this board. It’s much more likely he read one of the 400,000,000 times Andrew has said it over the past 5 years.

• c schreiber

April 28, 2013 at 5:32 pm

Yeah, he read mine. He like the rest of us ignore Andrew. LOL

• Lefty

April 28, 2013 at 5:45 pm

I didn’t ignore him the first time he said it, just the next 399,999,999

31. Ken Bland

April 28, 2013 at 4:06 pm

Not to jump to the imaginary all that’s left of Kiner’s Korner post game, but the indisputable unsung hero today is LaYnce Nix. Nix, who hits lefties as well as Mini hots any pitcher takes advantage of a batboy affected foul pop that John Buck ruined a fine start to his season by dropping, and Nix toughens out a pinch hit off the lefty. Jimmy Bigtime gets a hit, and that brought RyHo to the plate as Howie Rose called it on the NY Mets FAN network….

“Other managers having bad starts include John Gibbons.”

Here’s the pitch.

“I wonder if Robbie Alomar could be a cabnddiate with guys like Ventura getting shots with no experience”.

Long drive to center, and the Phils take the lead.

32. Ken Bland

April 28, 2013 at 4:14 pm

That’s a fun weekend. 2 more wins than I expected, and I’d generally sum it up this way. Saying the club has turned the corner seems ahead of itself. But they have at least positioned themselves at the corner, and capable of making a turn. Guys are getting used to roles, and it feels like a good attitude, a confident attitude overriding some frustrations. So much congestion nakes plkayoff concerns a distant concern, or difficulty. But even through the disappointments of the first month, it’s mostly been fun.

One guy (JMills?) said play .500 without Chooch, then win 3 of 5 the rest of the eay. Sounds like a good goal to strive for, having fallen a tad behind the first part of the goal.

Last thought… the Mets are a great team to choose avitars about. It don’t get no better than to feature pics of the old perfesser, the Greatness of Lindsey Nelson. More memorable greats of the game arer rare.

Onto Cleveland for Cliff’s homecoming, and Doc’s first with Chooch of the season.

April 28, 2013 at 4:39 pm

Great game. Props to Nix for fighting off that lefty and getting on base. And of course, Howard was ultra clutch.. looked like he thought it was gone and he kinda started walking toward first… but hey, it got the job DONE! Solid effort by Hamels and the pen, too.