2013 Gameday

Phils Power Kendrick to 7-3 Win After Smooth Six

Brown mashed a Hefner pitch into the second deck in the first. Photo: AP

Tonight’s game had all the makings of a disaster: Kyle Kendrick on the hill, up 5-1 in the second, with bases loaded immediately following a John Buck HR. It felt like what is now a too familiar story to the 2013 Phillies: a big early lead surrendered almost as quick. But then something remarkable happened – Kendrick gathered himself and struck out Jeremy Hefner and Jordany Valdespin to retire the Mets and end the threat.

Kendrick would pitch well, overcoming a 27-minute rain delay in the bottom of the fourth to pitch the tops of the fifth and sixth, ending with six Ks in six innings, giving up two earned via two solo home runs in what would be good enough for a 7-3 Phillies win.

POWER SURGE

Despite the wind and rain, balls were flying out of Citizens Bank Park tonight. Chase Utley got the party started early with a two-run line drive homer to center in the first inning. Not to be outdone, Domonic Brown took a Hefner pitch a few rows deep into the second deck that still looked like it was climbing as it made contact with the seats. Laynce Nix blasted a seventh inning, two-run, pinch-hit homer to right center in the sixth. Despite the loss, Lucas Duda of the Mets went deep twice in addition to Buck’s blast.

GET HOT, STAY HOT

Jimmy Rollins and Michael Young both had two hits tonight, having a single and a double each. Rollins raised his average to .316 and Young to .375. Both players continue to the find the gaps.

THE TWO LONGEST SINGLES I’VE EVER SEEN

Ryan Howard and Erik Kratz had two of the longest singles I have ever seen. Howard hit a hard liner that ended up against the wall in right and Kratz smashed one off the wall in right: both ended up being singles. Kratz’s ball took a fortunate hard bonce to the right fielder while Howard was noticeably limping while running to first. Keep an eye on this.

With the win, the Phillies have won back to back games for the first time in 2013 and head into their off day with a two game winning streak. It also marks their first series win of the young season. They begin a six game road trip starting in Miami on Monday with probable starter John Lannan squaring off against Ricky Nolasco.

1. Andrew From Waldorf

April 10, 2013 at 10:31 pm

Winner Winner chicken dinner

This team can hit back of rotation pitchers well.

Hernandez very critical of Howard defense and positioning.

Doesnt get why Howard has his right foot on the bag.

A wins a win.

April 10, 2013 at 10:52 pm

Howard is using his right foot on the bag to protect the left achilles. I don’t know if he really has to or not, but clearly he thinks he has to. It definitely looks awkward.

Ian- those were two of the longest singles I’ve seen in one game in a long time. We have an elite base runner, but so far this season Revere’s not getting on base well, hopefully that will change. In the meantime Chase and Young are both taking the extra bases well.

• Jeff T

April 11, 2013 at 9:50 am

I agree that Revere’s OBP is not great, with the caveat of SSS. However, I am not too worried about it since I like what I see from his approach. He’s not a hacker and he sees a good number of pitches. This fact coupled with his minor league track record gives me the confidence to see a .340+ OBP in his future.

3. Betasigmadeltashag

April 10, 2013 at 11:01 pm

I had listen to Hernandez all game and he is an idiot. Two hits and a couple of hard hit outs for Howard, and M. Young’s bat is hot. It nice to beat teams that you should beat soundly.
    I usually do not comment on the writing of the post but today is Wednesday so wouldn’t the road trip start on Friday not Monday

• Dave

April 11, 2013 at 11:15 am

Hernandez is better than the 3 boobs we have doing tv. And he was one hell of a first baseman.

• frank

April 11, 2013 at 4:35 pm

I like it when someone is put in check for constant uncalled for insults.

4. betasigmadeltashag

April 10, 2013 at 11:20 pm

I wrote it the game thread and I know no one agrees with me but I would rather see JRoll leading off

5. DavidE

April 10, 2013 at 11:23 pm

Howard has not looked good defensively the past few games. He did hammer the ball in his first two at bats.

The Marlins offense is really bad. They scored 13 runs in 3 games against the Mets and did not have to face Matt Harvey. In the games against the Braves and the Nationals, the Marlins scored a total of 3 runs. Stanton has gotten 8 walks because he is really the only one in the lineup who is a big power threat. Three of the first four hitters in the lineup are players the Phillies have given up on.

Regarding any replacement for Halladay if there is a need for one, I would look within the organization first. In 2007, Kendrick was given a shot and he performed above expectations and Worley certainly performed above expectations in 2011. I wouldn’t go with Oswalt. His last big year was 2008. He was a dominant pitcher from 2001 to 2008 but he has declined since then. He filled in nicely in 2010 but wasn’t real sharp in 2011 and had a bad year in 2012.

6. Andrew From Waldorf

April 10, 2013 at 11:46 pm

@ Beta

Keith is an idiot.

but

He was an all time great defensive first baseman.

7. Betasigmadeltashag

April 11, 2013 at 1:19 am

Yea I get it but it is just he overplays the obvious. And he played the game and was wrong about forcing a players foot or hand off the bag.

8. Phillies fan from Germany

April 11, 2013 at 3:43 am

Good win. Hopefully the Marlins are the right opponent to right the ship for Hamels and Doc.

9. Brooks

April 11, 2013 at 5:55 am

I never saw anything like it. When the rain came the tarp was out in seconds even before the rain was an issue, which it wasn’t.
    But, sadly on that note when my buddy and I saw the tarp rolled out and the winds were at their peak, we decided that the crew knew something we did not and we bolted.. only to wind up at a pub and watching the remainder of the game – no great harm done.
    I too was amazed at Howards long single when we looked up (it was right in front of us) neither one of us could believe that he wasn’t even half way to first base by the time Byrd picked it up. The limp was noticeable.
    Young is in quite a groove – 10 out of his last 19 raising his average almost 200 pts over the last 5 games.

10. TheDipsy

April 11, 2013 at 7:32 am

Are we criticizing Ryan Howards fielding? Thats kinda like criticizing Kate Upton’s sense of humor. Howard was never a fielder and I think everyone should work on every aspect of their game to try to get better but Howard, at his best, was below average. Now he is pretty much a gimp so don’t count on him to be able fo field, or run for that matter, in the near future. It really cracked me up when Wheels commented on what great baserunning it was by Young after he nailed that ball to the gap and “waited to see whether Howard was gonna get to third” before he took second.

The Dipsy

• schmenkman

April 11, 2013 at 9:38 am

“Thats kinda like criticizing Kate Upton’s sense of humor.”

Sure, but if you’re going to be with this person every through 2016, that’s not a small consideration.

• schmenkman

April 11, 2013 at 9:42 am

*every day through 2016…

11. Chuck A.

April 11, 2013 at 9:46 am

So are we saying that Kate Upton doesn’t have a sense of humor?

• schmenkman

April 11, 2013 at 9:49 am

No, only whether it’s worth discussing (and then criticizing, if in fact she doesn’t).

• Chuck A.

April 11, 2013 at 10:41 am

I wonder if Justin Verlander thinks she has a sense of humor????

• Lefty

April 11, 2013 at 4:43 pm

Who cares?

12. Dave P

April 11, 2013 at 10:01 am

Good game all around. Kendrick pitched very well, especially considering the long bottom of the first and the half hour rain delay.

Small samples etc, but the phils are around middle of the pack offensively in the NL in most categories, except for two – strike outs and walks. 4th most strike outs and 4th least walks. This isn’t really a surprise as coming into this year we were concerned about this team’s ability to walk.

What a shame about ben revere’s leg slipping past the bag, he had it cleanly stolen. There goes the 100% success rate.

• schmenkman

April 11, 2013 at 10:16 am

The strikeouts are a surprise, since the Phils had the fewest in the NL last year. The K% by position is about the same as last year at every position except catcher, where it’s gone from 15% to 31%.

• schmenkman

April 11, 2013 at 10:20 am

There are actually also smaller increases at third base, shortstop, left field, and right field. Also pitchers, although they only have about half as many plate appearances as other positions.

13. Chris

April 11, 2013 at 11:19 am

Yes, a win is a win, but this team has alot to work on. And we still have the worst pitching in baseball. Howard’s throw to second was embarrassing as it almost always is…

14. Dave

April 11, 2013 at 11:26 am

I hope some of you have a better opinion of Michael Young at this point. I know it’s only been 9 games, but he is a good all around player who hustles. It seemed I was one of the few people on here that were happy with the signing. I know many people thought his fielding will be a big problem, but I think he will be fine there. He is an overall upgrade over what we’ve had there before when you consider all facets of the game. There are three things that he brings to the table that I like…positive attitude, enthusiasm and the drive to work at his craft. If all of the players on our team were that way, we’d be in business.

15. Jeff of Nova

April 11, 2013 at 11:57 am

Dave I agree and I actually thinking his fielding has been very good, and it will only get better and better.

He has the potential to hit 325+ that has never changed

16. Chuck A.

April 11, 2013 at 12:28 pm

Dave, I also agree. I was for the Young signing as well, even though I knew he would be a DOWNgrade defensively. But, overall, he’s a clear upgrade over Polanco. Plus, it’s only for one year.

17. Jeff of Nova

April 11, 2013 at 12:39 pm

I mean we have been jumping off the ledge after 9 games what about the otherside?

Utley and Young have been awesome and if they continue then I can see a 2 year deal for both possibly cheaper.

• Chuck A.

April 11, 2013 at 12:57 pm

A two year deal fr Young?? No. One at the most. Especially if Asche’s ready. Utley maybe.

18. Dave

April 11, 2013 at 2:25 pm

The Phillies never seem willing to turn a position over to a young kid, so don’t be suprised if Young gets offered a new contract….especially if Asche struggles in AAA. Maybe Young gets 1 year with a club option for second. The key for Utley will be staying healthy obviously. But both players have something to prove. Remember that Schmidt won his last MVP at 37, so Young doesn’t have to be finished yet. Utley could have several good years in him yet, if his knees hold out.

• Jeff of Nova

April 11, 2013 at 3:13 pm

If Young hits .320 has top 10 fielding, no way they don’t do a 1 or 2 yr deal. No way they pass up that for Asche, who is not proven, If Asche played like Utley or Howard did in the minors maybe

• George

April 11, 2013 at 4:54 pm

I guess you’ve forgotten that Rollins, Utley, Ruiz, Howard, Brown, and Galvis were all young kids once. Brown and Galvis still are. They even traded for a “kid” this offseason to play center field. They’ve also tried others who didn’t work out, such as Mayberry. When a young player is good, the Phils seem to have no problem giving him a position.

• Dave

April 11, 2013 at 7:30 pm

George…let me clarify. Yes, they turn them over to young players eventually, but it usually seems later than most other teams. Howard and Utley were both 24. Ruiz was 27. And those weren’t their first full seasons. Rollins, was pretty young though, so we’ll see.