Gameday: Phillies (14-18) vs. Giants (19-12) – Phillies Nation
2013 Gameday

Gameday: Phillies (14-18) vs. Giants (19-12)

sf-giants-11Philadelphia Phillies (14-18) vs. San Francisco Giants (19-12)

LHP Cliff Lee (2-2, 3.46 ERA) v. LHP Madison Bumgarner (3-0, 1.55 ERA)

TIME: 10:15, AT&T Park
TV:
Comcast SportsNet
Weather: 67, overcast
Media: Twitter and Facebook

It is officially gut-check time for this Phillies team.  Roy Halladay is on the disabled list.  They got demolished 14-2 by the lowly Marlins yesterday.  At 14-18, they’re probably not where they wanted to be headed into a seven-game west coast swing.  And for their troubles, tonight they get Madison Bumgarner and the world champion San Francisco Giants.  If the Phillies don’t pull it together this week against two good NL West teams, this road trip has the potential to be crippling.

Bumgarner has been next to unhittable in 2013.  He hasn’t let up more than two runs in a game yet and has averaged just under seven innings through his first six starts.  As always, the Phillies have struggled mightily against lefties this season, to the tune of a .207 batting average and .608 OPS.  But, all due respect to the talent of Jose Fernandez, they haven’t seen a lefty as good as Bumgarner yet.  The Giants haven’t scored a ton for him this year – he’s notched only three wins in six starts despite a sparking ERA – but they may not need many tonight.  Bumgarner is 1-1 with a 2.57 ERA in two career starts against the Phillies.

The Phillies counter with Cliff Lee, who has come back to Earth after a stellar start to the season.  This will be the fourth time that the Phillies ask Lee to control the bleeding after an ugly Halladay start.  He is two for three so far in those scenarios, with his only loss coming last week in Cleveland.  In his last three starts, Lee has allowed 12 earned runs in 18 innings.  It goes without saying that the Phils desperately need him to regain the dominant form he showed in early April if they want to contend.

The offense has been consistently inconsistent and it won’t get any easier against Bumgarner.  As Ryan Howard and Domonic Brown have warmed up in May, Chase Utley has cooled down.  Delmon Young hasn’t shown much since the home run he hit in his first at-bat as a Phillie.  Against the tough lefty, tonight would be a good night for him to make an impact.  If nothing else, Young and former Phillie Hunter Pence playing one of the trickier right fields in all of baseball makes tonight’s late nighter a must-watch.

Lineup: Rollins SS, Utley 2B, M. Young 3B, Howard 1B, D. Young RF, Brown LF, Mayberry CF, Kratz C, Lee P

steam-bio

GAMEDAY BEER: Anchor Steam Beer

Around since 1896, this classic from Anchor Brewing Company is the unofficial official beer of San Francisco.  With it’s deep amber color and distinctive taste, Anchor Steam’s name originated in the 19th century when, sans ice, the crisp night air would cause steam to rise off of beer fermenting on rooftops across San Fran.

1. bacardipr

May 6, 2013 at 8:17 pm

Unless they have some type of turn around very soon i would sell Rollins. Wait until he gets into one of his mini-streaks and sell.

• Rudy Canoza

May 6, 2013 at 9:36 pm

On September 10, 2011 the Phillies were 94-48 (.662). Since then, they’ve gone 103-111 (.481). That’s 214 games, more than a season and a quarter. I don’t think that turn around is coming. They are what they are – a very expensive .500 team.

• Ryan H.

May 6, 2013 at 10:12 pm

It’s entirely unfair to say last year’s team is who they are. you can slice these stats any way you want. they were among the best record’s in the league last year after utley and howard came back. for what that’s worth. if utley and howard stay healthy all year, and they still finish .500, they they are what the are. but to say they are nothing but a .500 team this year, despite a poor start, is not fair. plenty of teams are struggling right now who still have time to turn it around. I’d expect the dodgers and angels to turn it up eventually as well.

2. Nah.Roots

May 6, 2013 at 9:44 pm

Always hurts waking up in the morning after convincing myself to stay up and watch one of these west-coast-trip games. Hurts even more after the split second when you realize they lost.

I should probably just go to bed now.

• frank

May 6, 2013 at 10:40 pm

Its funny living in California, most games start at 4 in the afternoon. West coast games start at 7. One of the many positives living in California. Me and my family go quite a bit to the giants stadium and it is as awesome as you see on the tube. One thing that is really amazing about the fans in s.f. is they never boo the home team players. I actually think it’s o.k. to boo if a player deserves it because it shows passion. Dodger fans boo all the time.

3. therookie300

May 6, 2013 at 10:06 pm

I’m gonna watch. Or at least until I pass out on 7&7s…

4. therookie300

May 6, 2013 at 10:36 pm

I like watching that fat a** strike out.

5. brooks

May 6, 2013 at 10:46 pm

first inning, bases loaded nobody scores – second inning, second and 3rd, 1 out , bases loaded 2 outs –
    And?

6. therookie300

May 6, 2013 at 10:48 pm

I will drink to that. Nice piece of hitting by young.

7. brooks

May 6, 2013 at 10:48 pm

Bumgarner certainly does not have his stuff tonight and Mike Young comes through – yeay!

8. therookie300

May 6, 2013 at 10:49 pm

Run it up…

9. brooks

May 6, 2013 at 10:50 pm

4 hits, 2 walks and an error in 2 innings pitched? Sounds like one of our lines…

10. therookie300

May 6, 2013 at 10:55 pm

This ump sucks

11. therookie300

May 6, 2013 at 11:40 pm

The middle of the order has done well this inning. Gonna chase bumgarner early…

12. frank

May 7, 2013 at 12:05 am

Something I did not know. Giants announcers just said that utley lives in San Francisco in the off season.

13. frank

May 7, 2013 at 12:16 am

Another interesting fact. I don’t if your feed is showing the seagulls. About a half hour before the game ends, the seagulls srart hovering over the stadium to get all the goodies left by the fans. Every single game, day or night. But they never bother the fans. Although I do make sure my head doesn’t have to be wiped off which has not happenned.

14. frank

May 7, 2013 at 12:59 am

Good game. Phillies won. Oh ya, you’re all fast asleep. Hope you sleep well. My night has only just begun.

15. Free Minecraft Account

May 12, 2013 at 6:21 pm

Hello I am so thrilled I found your webpage,
    I really found you by error, while I was searching on Digg
    for something else, Anyhow I am here now and would just like to say kudos for a incredible post and a all round enjoyable blog (I also love the theme/design), I don’t have time to read it
    all at the moment but I have bookmarked it
    and also added in your RSS feeds, so when I have time I will be back to read more, Please do keep up the superb work.

16. Check This Out

August 8, 2013 at 12:56 am

Fastidious answer back in return of this difficulty
    with genuine arguments and explaining the whole thing regarding that.