2013 Gameday

Gameday: Phillies (15-18) vs. Giants (19-13)

sf-giants-11Philadelphia Phillies (15-18) vs. San Francisco Giants (19-13)

RHP Kyle Kendrick (3-1, 2.43 ERA) v. RHP Tim Lincecum (2-1, 4.41 ERA)

TIME: 10:15, AT&T Park
TV:
Comcast SportsNet
Weather: 61, broken clouds
Media: Twitter and Facebook

Much has been made of the Phillies’ futility against teams that are not the Mets or Marlins.  They are 9-4 against that NL East duo and 6-14 against everyone else.  After last night’s series opening victory against the Giants, the Phils have a chance over the next two nights to win a series on the road against one of the baseball’s best teams.

On the mound on Tuesday night for the Phillies is Kyle Kendrick, who has undoubtedly been their best pitcher this year.  Since a shaky 2013 debut against the Royals, Kendrick has been a revelation.  In those five starts, the right-hander has allowed only six runs in 35 innings en route to a 3-0 record.  His strikeout rate in those outings is 7.43 K/9, which is even better than the career best 6.55 he established last year (his career K/9 is 4.74).  Those numbers are perhaps the best evidence that Kendrick’s emergence as an effective starter is legitimate.

The Phillies lineup will face two-time Cy Young award winner Tim Lincecum, whose struggles last season have followed him into 2013.  While his ERA isn’t terrible, Lincecum has struggled with his command through six starts.  He has walked 17 in 34.2 innings and opposing hitters are batting .252 against him (up from .229 for his career).  Lincecum has enjoyed plenty of success against the Phils in his career, going 5-2 in 11 starts with an ERA of exactly 3.00.

Michael Young and Domonic Brown were the offensive heroes last night, but the Phils need some other players – namely Jimmy Rollins, Carlos Ruiz or any OF other than Brown – to pick it up if they’re going to survive this West Coast swing.  Last night was a picturesque win for the way this team is built; great starting pitching, solid hitting and a shutdown back-end of the bullpen.  Now let’s see if they can do it again.

Lineup: Rollins SS, Utley 2B, Young 3B, Howard 1B, Ruiz C, Brown LF, Nix LF, Revere CF, Kendrick P

lagunitas-IPA

GAMEDAY BEER: Lagunitas IPA

Now a year-round option, the IPA was Lagunitas’ first seasonal beer way back in 1995.  Brewed about 40 miles north of San Francisco, this hoppy-sweet IPA was created with an intent to allow its consumers to enjoy many more than just one.

1. Psujoe

May 7, 2013 at 7:10 pm

I realize Revere I struggling, but has anyone see Worlys stats?

7 starts. 0-4, 33 innings 55 hits with a WHIP over 1.91 and a 6.95 era. Wow.

• Ken Bland

May 7, 2013 at 7:48 pm

I wonder how many effective innings, or the percentage of same is for Vanimal. He’s had some horrible ones that contribute to that. I haven’t minded his last couple starts, maybe it’s more just plain brutal of late.

The other principal in that trade, Trevor May isn’t exactly lighting it up either. He seemed real potent in Lakewood a couple years ago, had some glittering numbers, I wanna say including a 14 K effort. Something spectacular. I’d liken him to Lincecum in a sense. Trevor’s numbers weren’t too impressive at Reading last year, and he’s doing better, but not tremendously at the same level in the Twins system. Kinda like Timmy was so bad last year in H1, his ’13 start looks better, but it’s still a work in progress. Talk about an interesting free agent candidate, using the word interesting a little loosely.

• Psujoe

May 7, 2013 at 8:18 pm

Yeah, right now its not working out for anyone.

2. frank

May 7, 2013 at 8:40 pm

Lefty, by the way, I was family practice, not a specialist so I have no expertise on arm injuries. I was just giving my thoughts and I thought compassion for what I have observed doc going through the last year. Bug most of the time, my thoughts are not even acknowledge. Since this is the only blog that I’ve started to try to communicate, it did not go the way I thought and along with the uncalled disrespect, I hope the Phil’s give you all some joy.

• Lefty

May 7, 2013 at 9:55 pm

Frank, I was responding to Sy, not you. Didn’t mean for you to take it that way. I do read your thoughts here. He said he was a board certified orthopedic surgeon.

• frank

May 7, 2013 at 10:01 pm

Lefty, I am truly sorry. I did misunderstand and that is my bad. Also, I kind of realize that I’m not real good at blogging.

• Lefty

May 7, 2013 at 10:09 pm

No sweat, and I really do have a shoulder/arm problem. They are telling me a have a pinched nerve in my neck and they want to put an epidural in there, I asked because I’m more than a little bit wary of that.

• George

May 7, 2013 at 11:11 pm

I’d be wary, too, Lefty. I’d also seek another opinion if your insurance or personal finances will support it.

It seems to me that a pinched nerve could possibly be un-pinched with manipulation. I know that some people don’t think much of chiropractors, but good ones know the body better than a lot of orthopedics guys. I had a shoulder problem many years back complete with two numb fingers, which the workman’s comp ortho guy kept saying was a strained biceps tendon. He shot me full of cortisone, which did absolutely nothing. I went to a chiropractor then. He had me walk across the room and coukld tell by the way I walked that I had a slight dislocation. He tweaked my arm somehow, and the pain and the numbness in my two fingers went away immediately.

Whatever your problem might be, I hope it gets cured without too much difficulty. Good luck.

• Lefty

May 8, 2013 at 6:08 am

Thanks George. I will get a second opinion, I have been told about the wonders of accupuncture- either that or chiropractor. I don’t like what this spine doctor has planned.

• Chuck A.

May 8, 2013 at 6:19 am

Lefty, chiropractors (at least some of them) can definitely help. Also, acupuncture or shiatsu, which is sort of like acupuncture but without any needles (although the needles are small and you really don’t feel them). I’ve had all three done for various things over the years and would STRONGLY encourage you to at least consider them before going under any sort of knife.

• George

May 8, 2013 at 8:56 am

To frank:

Maybe you don’t consider yourself good at blogging, but really most the rest of us are fooling ourselves if we think we’re any better at it.

Feel free to post your opinions and don’t worry about it. At least you aren’t calling people names and seem willing to apologize when in doubt. That’s something a lot of bloggers would never do.

• frank

May 8, 2013 at 1:21 pm

George, thanks. I appreciate that.

3. glutenous

May 7, 2013 at 9:45 pm

Can the Phils get the the freak tonight? I hope so. Looking for KK to continue is solid start to the year. Go phillies.

4. Bart Shart

May 8, 2013 at 12:44 am

No complaints tonight. Kendrick sharp and effective. Utley and Howard homer. And Ben Revere successfully bunts. Good signs all.