Injury feed

Halladay to the DL, Savery Called Up to our own Pat Gallen, Roy Halladay has officially been placed on the 15-day DL with what is being referred to as shoulder inflammation.

Joe Savery has been recalled from Triple-A Lehigh Valley as a reliever to take the extra roster spot with a corresponding move expected Friday to determine who will take Halladay’s spot in the rotation. Savery is available to pitch tonight in San Francisco.

1. pamikedc

May 6, 2013 at 3:09 pm

Is this just a move for extra BP help? Then we will flip flop for a starter on Friday? Or whenever Docs spot is due. (Sat?).

• hk

May 6, 2013 at 3:10 pm

Yes. Since Doc started yesterday, they don’t need a starter until Friday. This way, they’ll have Savery as an extra arm in the bullpen until then.

2. Dave P

May 6, 2013 at 3:54 pm

I wonder if this move is not only for extra BP help, but to see evaluate current BP members. Who’s to say Savery would go down if he was performing well?

• Ian Riccaboni

May 6, 2013 at 6:31 pm

Dave – not a bad suggestion. Savery has a 0.68 ERA with a 0.900 WHIP in 13.1 IP for the IronPigs so far this year. He also has one of his highest K/9 IP (11.5) and lowest BB/9 IP (2.7). He has certainly earned the call-up and I bet he’ll get thrown into the fire right away.

3. Don M

May 6, 2013 at 4:48 pm

I wasn’t watching… but did Halladay get booed yesterday?

• donnavox20

May 6, 2013 at 5:14 pm

Yes, he did. Pretty loudly, as he left the field after being taken out of the game.

• glutenous

May 6, 2013 at 10:02 pm

How can anyone boo Roy? Yeah he is pitching terribly but he has done wonderful things in a Phils uniform prior to 2012. I mean, a perfecto and a playoff no-no? Come on Philadelphia…

• Ken Bland

May 7, 2013 at 11:24 am

I wonder what your source is for that conclusion. Perhaps at the game, if you were might have offered a different sound than that of television audio, but considering I expected some mild booing from the idiot types that would boo a weak performance under any circumstance, I thought it was a mere smattering.

Frankly, when it was obvious he wasn’t long for the game, I sat there thinking it’d be nice if they gave him a standing ovation. Not a sarcastic one, but a deserved one for his many vaunted efforts. I would have been surprised if that happened, but in baseball towns where they take the good with the bad, and always be glad, that might have developed.

I just didn’t hear booing to the point where it was…here we go, spell check…acknowledgeable.

4. pamikedc

May 6, 2013 at 5:37 pm

@Don M, I was wondering the same thing. Thanks for asking that Q.
    It’s a shame that he did too. For all that he has done. Ah well. Life goes on

• Todd

May 6, 2013 at 7:10 pm

What frustrates me, and why he deserves the boos, is he knew his arm wasn’t 100% after last start, but didn’t want to say anything. Until AFTER he gives up 9 runs yesterday.

5. rob

May 6, 2013 at 6:13 pm

Time for management to start dealing some players with a goal to rebuild for the future. It just did not work out the last few years. I feel sorry for Roy Halladay. He thought he had his World Series ring when he came to Philly.

6. Double Trouble Del

May 6, 2013 at 8:12 pm

I noticed that Rich Ankiel was released by the Astros. I wonder if just maybe….????