Phillies Fry Fish – Phillies Nation
2013 Game Recaps

Phillies Fry Fish

Phillies Mets Baseball

Ryan Howard’s second inning home run started a Phillies power surge tonight. (Photo: AP)

Behind the steady pitching of Jonathan Pettibone, and a few home runs from the offense, the Phillies were able to make it two in a row with a 4-1 victory over the hapless Miami Marlins.

PETTIBONE: CONTINUED SUCCESS

In tonight’s Gameday, I predicted Pettibone would pitch through the sixth inning for the first time in his big league career. He did not disappoint. In fact, he turned in what is probably his best start yet. His final line: 6.1, 5 H, 1 R, 0 BB, 3 SO.

Pettibone’s only hiccup came when he allowed a homer to Donovan Solano in the fourth. What was most impressive about his outing was his continued ability to prevent free passes. Coming into tonight’s game, he had walked just two in 10.1 innings pitch. It’s now two in 16.2 innings pitched. Not a bad number at all. The Phils needed Pettibone to be serviceable in place of the injured John Lannan, and he has done just that, turning in quality outings consistently.

HOWARD LEADS THE WAY FOR THE OFFENSE

Folks, Ryan Howard has begun to heat up. After a porous start where he didn’t hit much of anything, Howard had been marred in a stretch where he seemingly couldn’t hit anything but singles. That was before this current nine-game stretch. After his second inning home run to make it 1-0, Howard has now hit four homers and four doubles, including one tonight, in his last nine games. During that stretch, he was slugging .714. And that was before his two extra base hits in tonight’s game.

Chase Utley would keep the phone going when he lead off the third with another dinger, his sixth of the season.

As for Domonic Brown, he homered for the second time in two nights. Coming into tonight Brown had hit .353/.378/.588 with two homers and two homers in nine games. The sudden jolt of power in the middle of the lineup is a welcome sign for this Phillies club.

The Phils would tack on another run in the second in what may be the least probable scenario we’ll see all season. After Carlos Ruiz singled and stole second, Ben Revere, batting in the eight hole, drove him home with a liner to right to snap a 4-for-25 stretch. Revere would go 1-for-4 on the night, so he still continues to struggle.

BASTARDO STRUGGLES WITH CONTROL

In relief of Pettibone, Antonio Bastardo‘s command issues–something that has been an on again, off again issue for him throughout his career–once again reared their ugly head when he walked the first two hitters he faced to load the bases. He’d come back with the dominant stuff we know and love, however, striking out two hitters in a row to end the inning without any damage.

After a scoreless eighth and ninth, the Phils had themselves another victory. Enjoy your Friday night!

UP NEXT

The Phillies look to keep the win streak going tomorrow when Cole Hamels  (1-3, 4.78) takes on Jose Fernandez (0-2, 4.50).

1. "Big Ed" Delahanty

May 3, 2013 at 10:06 pm

Not only is Pettibone pitching better than expected, but he can hit balls to the outfield, unlike Revere. Hopefully, the team cause these games against the fish to hit their stride. (fingers crossed).

2. DaveP

May 3, 2013 at 10:18 pm

Good solid effort. Would have loved if any of the homers had been more than a solo shot, but when your pitching only gives up a run, how can you complain?

May 3, 2013 at 10:25 pm

Only one game back of the Nats, and 3 games out of the wildcard with 129 games to go. This is doable, can’t blow it up just yet, gotta play this out. I know we’re beating some bad teams, but still 5-2 in the last seven. Big test next week with a seven game road trip to San Francisco and Phoenix.

Big props to Dom Brown for his play of late, that’s big for this club. Bastardo had me screaming at my set for awhile, but all is calm now.

4. George

May 3, 2013 at 10:37 pm

One small correction: Revere was 1 for 3. His hit even made it to the outfield without hitting the infield dirt on the way. Maybe–I hope, anyway–he isn’t struggling as much as he’s been all season.

5. glutenous

May 3, 2013 at 10:45 pm

Brown keeping pace with howard as far as HRs. Love it! We need consistency from Dom.

6. Bart Shart

May 3, 2013 at 9:56 pm

I say, I say, I say…….Who needs Halladay when we got Kendrick and Pettibone…….I say, I say, I say.

7. Andrew From Waldorf

May 3, 2013 at 10:19 pm

Winner winner
    Chicken dinner

Love winning

But this Marlins team may lose 120 and the line up minus Stanton is a joke.

Dobbs is hitting 4th.

Oh well keep playing the mets and Fish and theres a chance.

8. DavidE

May 4, 2013 at 12:19 am

Dominic Brown is hitting about as well as Jayson Werth and Hunter Pence this year. Pettibone is looking good. The Phillies really have to trust the younger players more.

Regarding Ryan Howard, I don’t know what got into his head when he was going for the triple. And, the head first slide. I guess he saw the ball take a crazy hop away from the fielder but he should know his limitations.

Antonio Bastardo has been very good this year but maybe he is taking pitching advice from Mitch Williams.

9. bacardipr

May 4, 2013 at 1:22 am

Its good to see Howard hustle but at same time its kind of scary. I think Howard forever will be gimpy.

10. Chuck A.

May 4, 2013 at 6:23 am

A little quick math to go with your Saturday morning coffee:

Earlier this week I said that I was hoping for a 3-2 road trip (the recent one vs the Mets and Indians). They did just that, although I was thinking more like 2 wins against NYM and one against CLE. No matter… they still had a 3-2 trip. Very small sample and I do acknowledge that they played subpar teams there but, last I checked, 3-2 is .600 baseball.

Ok…so as of today the Phillies have 132 games remaining in this season. If they win 60% of those games (78) that will give them a record of 92-70. I would certainly think that that gets them a playoff spot, no?

Again…I know that it’s a small sample and against poorer teams. But they are still major league teams that have the ability to beat anyone on any given night. AND… I have a hard time believing that Hamels and Lee won’t be dominant pitchers and that Doc won’t be at least a solid #3. Throw in KK and Pettibone/Lannan and the rotation will be fine. I also think that the offense will straighten out as well. Howard is heating up, Ruiz is back, Utley is healthy, M Young is doing his thing, etc…. Also, Revere CAN’T be this bad.

I STILL think they will win 90 and be a playoff team. I said it months ago and I’m saying it now.

• hk

May 4, 2013 at 6:50 am

Before the season, I had the Phils as an 87 win team. However, with their weak early schedule – 13 of the first 32 against the Mets and Marlins – I thought they’d be 18-14 before heading out for next week’s tough West Coast trip.

If they can win the next two behind Cole and Doc, they’ll head West 2 games off my expected pace. With Lee and KK combining to start 4 of the 7 games out West, it would be great if they could win 4, but I’d be okay with a 3-4 trip, especially if they return home and dish out some pay back to the Ohio teams.

The bottom line is that I think we’ll learn a lot about this team during the next 14 games, 12 of which are against teams that are currently at .500 or better.

• Lefty

May 4, 2013 at 7:37 am

Were you speaking of that subpar team that beat the Braves last night?

And your math is better than mine. I don’t know where I got 129 games left. It’s that third grade subtraction, 162-30, gets me every time!

And not to curb the enthusiasm, but asking a team to play .600 ball for 5 months is a taller task than it seems, not unprecedented, but not that easy either. Only one team played 600 baseball last season.

That said, I still believe.

• hk

May 4, 2013 at 7:45 am

The optimistic math says that they are 14-16 despite being 3-9 in games started by Hamels and Lee. With KK pitching like a good #3, Halladay pitching like a decent #4 and Pettibone pitching like a fine #5, if they win the majority of Hamels’s and Lee’s starts as they should, the team should contend for one of the Wild Cards.

• Ken Bland

May 4, 2013 at 8:45 am

Phils did at least pass 1 team in the standings in the Wild Card last night. Having to pass 5 clubs to get to the 2 card already demands having to play quite a bit better than .500, particularly since I don’t look at it as about 130 games left, but rather having to hot some standard (whatever it may be) by say July 20 to plan your future. Like you might be 5 out with 65 left, 4 clubs to pass, and while that’s not much different than right now, that’d make for a tough decision. In other words, there’s some degree of deadline with powerful effect just like mathmateic elimination is a powerful effect.

Re hk’s Lee and Hamels 3-9, that is the optimist’s map guide, and holds merit. I just wonder how many of the other contenders don’t have similar things to mentally fall back on.

And the division’s looking interesting. So there’s a pretty good chance attention is grabbed even if the pretty blasé start only picks up so much.

• Rudy Canoza

May 4, 2013 at 5:59 pm

They’re 9-2 against the Mets & Marlins and 5-14 against the rest of their schedule so far. Yikes.

11. teeejay

May 4, 2013 at 8:06 am

Ig Howard and Utley both hit 30+ homers and knock in 100+ runs, it’s hard to see them NOT being competitive. I think they are both going to do that assuming they don’t get hurt. ( Big if, I know).

12. TheDipsy

May 4, 2013 at 8:08 am

Observations and Comments:

1. A guy that can hit a ball like Dom Brown is just a hitter. I think he’s gonna be OK. In fact, I’m starting to like him.
    2. Jon Pettibone thrown downhill and I like that. He’s gonna get a cutter and than he might be a good pitcher.
    3. Miami may have the worst lineup I have ever seen. The last time Greg Dobbs hit 4th for anyone was in Little league.
    4. GianCarlo (Don’t call me Mike) Stanton. I’ll take him thanks.

Biddle, Pettibone, Galvis, and Tommy Joseph. Done. That trade would rejuvinate the Phils and put them right back in it.

Rollins
    Utley
    Young
    Stanton
    Howard
    Brown
    Chooch
    Revere

Wow.

The Dipsy

• Ken Bland

May 4, 2013 at 8:35 am

Here’s what 1 blogger drew as the best similarity to what Stanton night be dealt for, for what it’s worth. As you read this, keep in mind how these players worked out is irrelevant. It’s how they were perceived then.

Best comp: December 4, 2007 – The Florida Marlins trade Miguel Cabrera with Dontrelle Willis to the Detroit Tigers for Dallas Trahern (minors), Burke Badenhop, Eulogio De La Cruz, Cameron Maybin, Andrew Miller and Mike Rabelo.

Before we get too far into Miguel Cabrera’s statistics, it is important to note that Detroit also took on Dontrelle Willis who, even coming off of a couple of a rough season in Florida (10-15, 5.17 ERA), Dave Dombrowski still liked enough to immediately sign to a 3-year, $29 million extension. Willis was never effective as a Tiger, but Dombrowski obviously thought he brought value to the deal.

Endquote….

But regarding the marketability of a Biddle Pettibone Joseph Galvis deal, that’s pretty good return for a guy who you have contractually linked for about 3 more years. Might even include the premium you pay for pulling a stud intradivision. Be nice to have a feel for where Mike’s head would be for wanting to stay after arb years are up. If I’m Beinfest, I probably still call Texas back and play can you top this before agreeing. Pretty decent package though.

13. Chez32

May 4, 2013 at 9:05 am

Forget wildcard. We’re going to win the division… only 3.5 out

May 4, 2013 at 10:02 am

Harold Reynolds suggested last night that his former team the Mariners could offer this.

Pick any five of: Taijuan Walker, Danny Hiltzen, Nick Franklin, Kyle Seager, Jesus Montero, Dustin Ackley, Justin Smoak, Michael Saunders.

Any offer we could make pales in comparison, plus there are 27 other teams.

In general, I’m against a Stanton Phillies trade. Not that I wouldn’t root for him if it happened, I just don’t think it’s the right timing for that now. IMO- Stop chasing, and keep building the core.

• Rudy Canoza

May 4, 2013 at 6:06 pm

Agreed. 2008 was built on the foundation of a homegrown core (drafted mostly during the Wade regime). Most WS teams win on the basis of players that they’ve drafted. Trying to continually patch holes by trading pieces from the farm isn’t working. Even the “Three Aces” mentality has proven to take resources away from areas where they definitely need help.

15. Ken Bland

May 4, 2013 at 7:16 pm

First pitch, send Fred

pretty please

16. Ken Bland

May 4, 2013 at 6:20 pm

May 5, 2013

From; Dan Duquette

To: All Staff

Folks,

Please be advised that the organization is on alert for an instant change affecting our marketing and advertising efforts.

If Freddy Garcia finishes off this no-hitter. all correspondence and communication is no longer to include the phrase Oriole Magic. iIt’s Oriole Miracles all the way.

Kindest regards,

Dan

17. Ken Bland

May 4, 2013 at 7:41 pm

I think that’s now 6 times in 7 games that Cole has fallen behind in a start.

And he just fell further behind.

Run support is fine, but there’s something to be said for pitching to the score.

Certainly better than once in 7 games. Even when the Phils finish their pre-game show in the bottom of the 5th.

Ben Revere. Loved seeing the word great in the same sentence as his name last night. Oughta be felonious, misusing the word great.

18. Ken Bland

May 4, 2013 at 7:50 pm

Here’s the deral.

Face a rookie, shuts ya down 1st time through, maybe do better the 2nd.

2nd start, maybe not kaboom, but ya expect to do better.

This guy?

More ya see him, tougher he gets.

That’s an impressive trend. 36 of 32 for strikes now. Not bad.

19. Ken Bland

May 4, 2013 at 8:02 pm

Fish now going for the Glove Gold hat trick this inning. 2 outs on the infield, but real nice plays. Can’t catch a break anywhere.

20. Ken Bland

May 4, 2013 at 8:19 pm

52 pitches through 5 now. Guy is in economy mode/

Gotta keep it going thru at least 7 to get the prize, but if there’s a better pitched game against the Phils this year, I don’t remember it. This is better than Harvey’s game.

21. Ken Bland

May 4, 2013 at 8:31 pm

Even in an inning where he had to work a little harder, Fernandez only threw 12 pitches. I think Hamels lasted 7 pitches, Revere 2, and Jimmy 3. And you can’t take much, because he’s been around the plate on all but a handful of pitches.

How this game turns around just seems impossible to figure out. No signs of fatigue, for sure.

22. "Big Ed" Delahanty

May 4, 2013 at 8:31 pm

Dear MLB.com,
    Please reword your play-by-play descriptions for Ben Revere from “grounds out softly…” to ” grounds out meagerly…”

The Phils are going to have a most heinous road trip if this is all they can muster. Sheesh!

• Ken Bland

May 4, 2013 at 8:33 pm

ey, I’m glad you’re here, makes it easier…remember asking about Dubee a few weeks back? See that nonsense Mitch Williams laid out and the defense Dubee got from guys like Doc? You can find it on Comcast if you wanna read it, but it’s nonsense (Mitch is, at least) if you wanna read it.

23. Ken Bland

May 4, 2013 at 8:35 pm

If you TRY to make that Hamels grab 100 times, you make it once. Excellent instinct.

24. "Big Ed" Delahanty

May 4, 2013 at 8:41 pm

Thanks, Ken. I had heard Mitch was spouting nonsense about mechanics and imbuing the power of unhittable change-ups onto mere peons. I also read the Doc rebuked him and said Dubee is great. “…and Wild Thing coughed and coughed/ …and kept on drinking”*

*special thanks to the poem “Miniver Cheevy”

25. "Big Ed" Delahanty

May 4, 2013 at 8:52 pm

It appears Jose Fernandez, I mean Bob Gubson of the 1.12 era, has been taken out. Let’s capitalize on this grievous error by the Narlins.

• Ken Bland

May 4, 2013 at 8:57 pm

Really. The same thought goes through your head as when I think it was Moises who turned to a teammate after the Bartman play, and said, :et’s make this kid pay.” Geez, did they.

26. Ken Bland

May 4, 2013 at 8:07 pm

The hour of Carlton pitched games could be beat tonight. El Senor is smokin’. 44 throws through 4 tonight. This one’s not bad hitting, tis impossible pitching.

Okay, time for another venture into failure on nightly trivia. They wanna know what Fish had 184 singles in a year.

Pierre is an obvious guess.

To enhance my rare shot at nailing one of these, I’ll just say it’s not John Peter.

And I won’t say it out loud, so it don’t count, but I think Coughlan, or Coughlin, 1 of the 2 had a kick ass rookie year and he holds the record.

27. Ken Bland

May 4, 2013 at 9:08 pm

So Redmond used Dunn to limit Brown, and now faces Chase and RyHo with I believe a lefty free pen. And I bet that either Jimmy or Freddy get on. This is completely critical that Aumont shut it down here, which isn’t a big deal against this offense, but the Phils are very much alive in this game. Hell, they are more alive in the game than they are the freaking pennant race.

28. Ken Bland

May 4, 2013 at 9:13 pm

I believe I might have thought about having Adams or Pap up that inning. You aren’t gonna have a lead to protect tonight (well, chances are, unless you go extras), but no question in my mind this is a mandatory shutdown inning, and not anywhere close to a concession. You fall behind 3, it’s SUCH a different game. So you use your best NOW.

29. Ken Bland

May 4, 2013 at 9:16 pm

Say what you really think…Chase and RyHo both come up as the tying run.

Minimum.

• Ken Bland

May 4, 2013 at 9:18 pm

little off on the lineup forgetting Cole’s spot. Have to work around that to get 3 AND 4 up, but if the Phils get to RyHo, that’s a terrific goal.

30. Ken Bland

May 4, 2013 at 9:22 pm

One sweet at bat so far. Workin’ that count.

31. Ken Bland

May 4, 2013 at 9:24 pm

Jimmy does his part. Good eye. Obviously, a double play just rips your heart out here. Anything else is almost acceptable.

32. Ken Bland

May 4, 2013 at 9:25 pm

And Cisek keeps throwing stressful pitch after stressful pitch.

33. Ken Bland

May 4, 2013 at 9:31 pm

Good job by the Fish holding on. Really had a shot at coming back. Fun game. No doubt they’ll be some bitching about Cole not getting support. Carries some truth, but myself, before I said that, I’d ask myself if Fernandez got support. Nice job by both, the better guy winning this one.

34. "Big Ed" Delahanty

May 4, 2013 at 9:32 pm

The Phillies theme tonight: “Strikes out swinging!” Obviously, this needs to change before the difficult road trip. Go Phils.

35. Ken Bland

May 4, 2013 at 9:33 pm

Cabrera’s got 6 ribs V Houston. Holy calculator, this is gonna be close. Unreal.

• Ken Bland

May 5, 2013 at 11:03 am

Phils lead Cabrera 9-7 heading into Sunday’s action. Pretty good effort.

36. c schreiber

May 4, 2013 at 9:38 pm

As I’ve been saying all year F__ING PATHETIC.

37. Ken Bland

May 4, 2013 at 8:47 pm

I wouldn’t dare tell this kid how to pitch, but it feels like maybe a little sign of being out of rhythm that inning was the pae of the game might be as tiring as anything. It’s not the pitch count. He’s just playing the Phils right out of his hand.

We’ll see what he’s got left. 9 kinda looks a little iffy.

I hope of the greats of the game mentioned afterwards, if it comes to that includes Marichal, because that’s who I feel like I’m watching. Great, great use of the curve.

38. Ken Bland

May 4, 2013 at 8:56 pm

Stanton is a bluff. Rube is using Salisbury as his straight man. Rube has a pic up on his wall of the iold Uncle Sam photo with the I Want You, but it’s a cutout of Fernandez replaing everybody’s uncle except Unclless George.

Wish I could say it’s a true story. Add Revere to the package, and get ’em both. Geez, I wanted to see at leadst 1 more inning. Shame on Mike Redmond. Such is 21st century baseball.

39. Ken Bland

May 4, 2013 at 9:00 pm

I forget Dunn’s ability to go an inning plus, but at least check, he’s the lone lefty on the roster, so this could still get interesting although L-L or L-R matchups aren’t the be all and end all.

40. Ken Bland

May 4, 2013 at 9:03 pm

Ed,

Are you watching ESPN? Have they announced which horse(s) Andrew drafted for his fantasy team?

• c schreiber

May 4, 2013 at 9:09 pm

Ken were you a reject of the Play by Play University of Chester, Pa??? Was it that you didn’t have the proper SAT score of .300??

• Ken Bland

May 4, 2013 at 9:14 pm

I’m a reject in all phases of life.

• "Big Ed" Delahanty

May 4, 2013 at 9:38 pm

I think they said the horses were:
      1.Winner Winner
      2. Chicken Dinner
      3. Bet Against the Mets
      4. Can’t Hit Lefties

• Ken Bland

May 5, 2013 at 10:41 am

Should make for an outstanding fantasy ballclub. Nice work on reporting the names.