Minor Leagues

Phillies Sign 17-Year Old Kamara from Germany

Photo: power-showcase.com

According to Stefan Muller of Mister Baseball, the Phillies have signed 17-year old German powerhouse, center fielder Julsan Kamara to a seven year, minor league contract. Kamara stands 6’4, weighs 192 lbs, and is considered to be among the country’s top baseball prospects. Most recently, Kamara was Germany’s representative in the Power Showcase Home Run Derby, is a member of the German Junior National Team, and he already has a series of baseball cards issued by Leaf. We will be monitoring what looks like an exciting signing closely.

1. George L.

May 13, 2013 at 3:31 pm

A great signing, good job scouts! You deserve more credit than you guys get! ūüôā

2. Bill B

May 13, 2013 at 4:07 pm

Ruben Ruben Ruben…. just when i was starting to dislike you, you go and do something amazing. Hope it pans out!

3. bacardipr

May 13, 2013 at 7:19 pm

Very Toolsie player, still a bit raw and inexperienced, from Germany with +++ strength, plus running speed and ++ bat.

4. Bart Shart

May 13, 2013 at 6:34 pm

Hope it works out for everyone. We need some bright youngsters.

5. DaveP

May 13, 2013 at 9:52 pm

Das ist gut.

6. Bruce

May 13, 2013 at 11:02 pm

I hate to sound like a spoilsport but signing a 17 year old kid playing sandlot ball in a country that lacks experience and professional skills of organiized baseball does not excite me. I’ll wait for results when he face professional pitching in the minors.

• Nik Kierniesky

May 14, 2013 at 11:21 am

Mike Trout was overlooked 27 times because he was from the northern part of the country where they play a shorter season (Millville, NJ) and a smaller high school. Raw talent is hidden everywhere!

7. DaveP

May 13, 2013 at 11:32 pm

Nobody’s calling him Bryce Harper. Just glad to see some outside of the box thinking in terms of scouting.

8. Chuck A.

May 14, 2013 at 6:06 am

Speaking of Bryce Harper, was anyone else just maybe even a little bit hoping that he injured himself in last night’s game more than he appears to have?? I appreciate the fact that the kid plays hard and tough…but I still think he’s a brash punk and really can’t stand him.

• Lefty

May 14, 2013 at 6:51 am

I think he’s the kind of guy you hate on another team, but love if he’s on your team. Like when we got Pete Rose, Joe Morgan, and Tony Perez. Man, I hated those guys with the Reds. Not so much Perez, but Morgan and Rose were a total pain in the a… Of course all but Rose were washed up when they got here, but it was still better than seeing them in the opposition’s lineup.

• Stu

May 14, 2013 at 9:39 am

I can’t stand him. When I worked for the Chiefs last year before he got called up he wouldn’t talk to anyone. A lot of the players on his team said they enjoyed having him on their team but hated him in the clubhouse because he looked down on everyone. He is a cocky arrogant kid.

May 14, 2013 at 6:57 am

So I’m reading the kid graduates in 2014. So I’m assuming that puts him here in the minors for a couple years, and we see him by 2016 when he’s 20 years old if he’s good?

• schmenkman

May 14, 2013 at 7:46 am

Off the top of my head I’d say 20 if he’s exceptional (Harper/Trout), 22-23 if he’s all-star caliber.

• schmenkman

May 14, 2013 at 7:47 am

(and at this point the chance of either of those is infinitessimal)

• Lefty

May 14, 2013 at 11:04 am

schmenkman, I agree with you. I didn’t express myself correctly when I wrote that. When I said we “see” him, I meant we “see” him for the first time in Clearwater for training camp. Yeah 2018-19, or something like that is more likely if he’s good enough.

10. Pingback: German Phillies Prospect Starts Long Road to Not Just Being Known as "the German Prospect" - That Balls Outta Here - A Philadelphia Phillies Fan Site - News, Blogs, Opinion and More