2013 Gameday

Gameday: Phillies (31-35) at Twins (29-33)

minPhiladelphia Phillies (31-35) vs. Minnesota Twins (29-33)

Cliff Lee (7-2, 2.55 ERA) v. Kevin Correia (5-4, 4.11 ERA)

TIME: 8:10, Target Field
TV:
PHL17
Weather: 74, Mostly Sunny
Media: Twitter and Facebook

What a difference a week can make.

This time last week, the Phillies were defeating the Brewers for their fifth straight win, catapulting them over the .500 mark for the first time all season. At that time, things were looking up, as the Phils looked to finally be rounding into form.

They haven’t won a game since, following up their 5-game win streak with five straight losses. If they lose tonight, it’ll be the first time this season they’ve lost six in a row. It will also mark the third time this season they’ve been five games below .500. What makes this particular losing streak even more painful is the fact that it’s come against bottom feeders like the Milwaukee Brewers and Minnesota Twins–teams good clubs will beat.

Luckily for the Phils, Cliff Lee is on the mound tonight. Lee has easily been their best starter this season, and they desperately need a vintage performance from him. Lee’s been pretty good against the Twins over the course of his career, posting a 3.64 ERA. He has never faced them at pitcher-friendly Target Field.

You may remember Twins starter Kevin Correia from his NL days with the Giants, Padres and Pirates. The 11-year veteran is in the AL now, and Phillies fans should lament that fact, as he’s posted a career 8.64 ERA against the Fightin’s. Of course, most of that came against competent offenses. We’ll see if this batch can pound him the way the Phils of days gone by used to. At this point, I’m not counting on it.

Lineup: Revere CF, M. Young 3B, Rollin SS, Howard 1B, Brown LF, D. Young DH, Nix RF, Galvis 2B, Quintero C

3498868847_cdfdc0e2edGameday Beer: Tommyknockers Maple Nut Brown

The Phils are in Minnesota, just a stone’s throw from the Canadian border. Nothing says Northern United States/Canada more than maple syrup. That’s the idea behind this offering from the Colorado-based Tommyknockers brewery. This brown ale has a malty taste with a hint of maple, and it is my favorite beer by Tommyknockers (though I like all of their brews). Have it with some flapjacks and make it a true Minnesotan night. – RD

1. Andrew from Waldorf

June 13, 2013 at 7:00 pm

Another must win for the Phillies.

Lets the same line up

So at the most you are scoring 3 runs.
    1 or 2 is a more legitimate guess.

The bull pen is good for giving up 4 with Bastardo giving up 3 himself.

Yea Ive seen this movie before.

Over and over again.

Go Phils!!!!!

As in Phil Mickelson 🙂

2. Andrew from Waldorf

June 13, 2013 at 7:06 pm

dé·jà vu
    noun ˌdā-ˌzhä-ˈvü, -ˈvue

Definition of DÉJÀ VU

a : the illusion of remembering scenes and events when experienced for the first time

b : a feeling that one has seen or heard something before

2: something overly or unpleasantly familiar

• Ken Bland

June 13, 2013 at 7:19 pm

My definition of deja vus is lord knows how many years back it was that there was talk of Americn League contraction, and this rarely proud franchise was going to bite the dust. Maybe 1995ish? It wasn’t before the Kirby years, and what a glorious time that was.

Anyway, tonight would be a glorious time for a deja vu enactment, with follow through.

Roundabouts Inning 6, locked in a 1-1 tie, Uncle Selig releases a presser announcing the Twins have been contracted.

If Cliff wasn’t pitching, I’d swear it was their best chance.

• Tracey

June 13, 2013 at 9:48 pm

Deja moo: The strange feeling that you’ve heard this bull before.

3. Ken Bland

June 13, 2013 at 7:34 pm

weekend hope?

CarGo was struck by foul ball in left foot. X-Rays negative.. Fowler hurt right fingers when smashed on bunt attempt. There’s been no update. And Tulo appeared to get hurt stopping groundball on dive in the 8th.. No word yet..

4. hogey's role

June 13, 2013 at 8:13 pm

Correia career 8.64 era vs the Phillies… I bet he shuts us out…

And on a side note I’m so sick of seeing Galvis suck it up, I’d rather see mini Mart play second

• c. schreiber

June 13, 2013 at 8:53 pm

I don’t think Mini deserves to EVER lace them up with ANY MLB team. He’s the biggest waste in a Phils uniform since Ted Kazanski (look it up) or George Anderson.

• schmenkman

June 13, 2013 at 8:58 pm

Phils catcher Mark Parent hit worse in 1997-98
        John Vuckovich hit much much worse in the 70s

5. Tracey

June 13, 2013 at 8:59 pm

Phils are hitting the hell out of this guy, I just wish they’d turn it into a few more runs!

6. Tracey

June 13, 2013 at 9:02 pm

7 base runners in three innings and only one run? Really? REALLY???

• c. schreiber

June 13, 2013 at 9:42 pm

What did you expect Tracey?? Its about par for course isn’t?

• Tracey

June 13, 2013 at 9:47 pm

No, par for the course is one or two base runners in 6 innings with no runs. :^)

7. pamikedc

June 13, 2013 at 9:14 pm

Ruiz- aaa game Saturday. He def pushed it up once Kratzy became injured.

Bc that Lerud guy is ummm….who is he? And why?

8. pamikedc

June 13, 2013 at 9:20 pm

Benny has been good these past 2 games.

9. Tracey

June 13, 2013 at 9:22 pm

8 base runners, 4 innings, 1 run. Two left on 3rd.

10. Tracey

June 13, 2013 at 9:25 pm

There goes the no-hitter… but maybe he can still get a shutout?

11. Tracey

June 13, 2013 at 9:41 pm

11 base runners. 5 innings. Still 1 run. This does not make me comfortable.

• Tracey

June 13, 2013 at 9:41 pm

And we have a third baserunner left on third.

12. Andrew from Waldorf

June 13, 2013 at 9:44 pm

1-0 in the 5th

hmmmm

Is this a familiar site?

I did snip up Corea in fantasy though.

Phils are right there with the Marlins for teams you want to face.

Lower than the Astros at this point.

13. Andrew from Waldorf

June 13, 2013 at 9:45 pm

Wait Carlos Zambrano is coming.

There is hope!!!

He could be DHing tonight for a starting point.

14. Tracey

June 13, 2013 at 9:45 pm

Well, the good news is that Cliffy still has plenty of gas left in the tank Five innings down, 1 hit and only 64 pitches.

• c. schreiber

June 13, 2013 at 9:51 pm

And yet another piece of Chit pitcher becomes Cy Young versus the P’s.

• Tracey

June 13, 2013 at 9:58 pm

No, not really. As I said, they’re hitting the hell out of him. They’re making the fielding look like 8 golden glovers, though.

15. c. schreiber

June 13, 2013 at 9:56 pm

The next time Young is sent home by the Sandberg while drawning a throw he’s going to put the brakes on and go back to third. He’s getting tired of being DOA at the plate. It seems I’ve seem that scene too many times lately.

• Tracey

June 13, 2013 at 10:03 pm

Yeah. Sarge was defending that decision, but it’s just inexcusable. The right fielder had control of the ball and the third base coach was waving Young home wildly, as if it was an easy run. That’s garbage. And Sarge’s defense is that they have a lead. Yeah, they have a 1 run lead, and we’ve seen how easily we can lose much larger leads.

16. Tracey

June 13, 2013 at 9:57 pm

SSDI. Same Stuff, Different Inning. 11 hits, 13 base runners, still just one lonely run.

Is this some kind of record? Number of hits with only one run?

17. Tracey

June 13, 2013 at 10:06 pm

Hmn. Only one LOB in this inning. Is that an improvement?

18. Tracey

June 13, 2013 at 10:14 pm

I’m collecting donations to buy glasses for MLB umpires…

19. Tracey

June 13, 2013 at 10:16 pm

(sigh) And once again the Phils fall behind due to an umpire error. We would be out of this inning if the umpire had called that play correctly.

20. Brooks

June 13, 2013 at 10:17 pm

And there goes the game. Someone please note that was a 2 out base hit.

21. Joe

June 13, 2013 at 10:19 pm

Tracey, ump was wrong, but how do you have 12 hits and 1 run? game should not be this close!

Also, revere and the youngs MUST GO!!

22. Andrew from Waldorf

June 13, 2013 at 10:20 pm

And there it is.

Umpres make mistakes.

The umpire didn’t make this HORROR SHOW of a line up 1 for 13 with RISP

Come on Charlie lets put in the HORROR SHOW bullpen.

The Phils are not scoring.

Doubt they get a base runner in the 8th or 9th.

They never do.

|But I guess if you can blow up Lees arm before the trade deadline. do.it.

THIS IS A DISGRACE

THAT AN IDIOT ON A BLOG SITS HERE AND KNOWS WHATS GOING TO HAPPEN BEFORE IT HAPPENS

YES I AM MAD

I LOVE YUO TRACEY

BUT ANYONE SHUT UP ABOTU THE BAD CALL

GOOD TEAMS OVER COME

THIS IS NOT A GOOD TEAM

THEY ARE HORRIBLE

A HORROR SHOW TOP TO BOTTOM

• Tracey

June 13, 2013 at 10:48 pm

I’ve been complaining plenty about the Phillies’ horrible performance tonight. I’m well aware that the Phillies have made a mess of this game.

But this team has been disproportionately screwed by the umps this year, and I’m almost as tired of that as I am of the Phillies’ awful performance.

Yes, I was at the game when the fans booed the umpire nonstop for two innings. And yes, I was one of the ones booing. I used to accept bad calls as part of the game, and recognize that calls go both ways, but they sure seem to go against the Phils a lot this year, and in critical situations.

23. Brooks

June 13, 2013 at 10:21 pm

What would prevent Cliffy from approach
    Ing his “teammates” and asking them for a little help here?
    How embarrassing.

24. Andrew from Waldorf

June 13, 2013 at 10:23 pm

You need a good defensive center fielder

This is what happens when you don’t have one.

Some of you haters appreciate Victorino yet?

I ALWAYS backed him and Ruiz first and foremost.

They didn’t allow this type of crap.

25. Andrew from Waldorf

June 13, 2013 at 10:25 pm

First and third no one out.

Here we go

Brooks they cant not score here can they?

26. Andrew from Waldorf

June 13, 2013 at 10:25 pm

I will be happy to melt down every game if it will make this team hit.

27. Tracey

June 13, 2013 at 10:27 pm

I don’t know whether to say WOW!!! or IT’S ABOUT FREAKING TIME!!!

28. Brooks

June 13, 2013 at 10:27 pm

One run great. But they need at least 2 and remember Lee is lover 100 pitches now we probably get to see, gee, what does it matter.

• Tracey

June 13, 2013 at 10:31 pm

They need 5 runs. My office wants more half-priced Papa Johns. 🙂

29. Brooks

June 13, 2013 at 10:29 pm

Quaking in their boots as the big man is up

• Tracey

June 13, 2013 at 10:30 pm

Always. The only people who don’t respect Ryan’s power are Phillies fans.

30. Brooks

June 13, 2013 at 10:32 pm

You know I was being sarcastic T. Btw perfect Howie, just perfect and heeeeerres Demon!

31. Andrew from Waldorf

June 13, 2013 at 10:34 pm

They aren’t afraid of Howard they pitch around the other hitters to get to him.

Rollins too got bailed out by Reveres speed.

But a win is a win is a win.

well Howard K walk Brown

DP for Delmon

think they blow it Brooks?

I wont rant if they do ill laugh.

I wonder if he will goto bastardo on que

Howard has a .715 OPS

That’s utility infield level.

He hasn’t been feared since 2009

• schmenkman

June 13, 2013 at 11:02 pm

.715 OPS, about the same as the league average. Howard was also at the league average in mid-June 2008.

Then he got hot in the 2nd half, like he does almost every year. WIll he again? I don’t know. I will say I’m more worried about him this year.

32. Brooks

June 13, 2013 at 10:34 pm

Bottom of the eight I’d leave Cliff in if you really want to win that is.

33. Andrew from Waldorf

June 13, 2013 at 10:36 pm

Mike Adams time!!!!

34. "Big Ed" Delahanty

June 13, 2013 at 10:36 pm

Man, I really think D young is atrocious. Nice inning-ending DP.

Why isn’t Frandsen playing more?

Hopefully, Cliff fired up the offense by threatening to make them eunuchs. If we lose this for him….grrr… The players LOB number is staggering against shitty Twins pitching. Man, this team aggravates me.

35. Brooks

June 13, 2013 at 10:37 pm

Ok Andrew place your bets! How many runners, how many runs? Adams .- bleh

• Andrew from Waldorf

June 13, 2013 at 10:44 pm

0 Brooksie

I am a believer.

After the Phils go down 1 2 3

Can Paps hold on?

Karma says you sometimes lose these kind of games.

36. Joe

June 13, 2013 at 10:37 pm

i just dont understand continuing to march revere, m young, and d young out there. if you arent going to hit, you need superior defense out of these 3 which you are not getting.

• hk

June 13, 2013 at 11:24 pm

I agree on the Youngs, but Revere is hitting > .320 since the end of April. He just got off to a slow start.

37. Andrew from Waldorf

June 13, 2013 at 10:37 pm

2nd and third 0 outs and and bases loaded one out and they scored

ZERO
    additional runs.

LOL

38. Andrew from Waldorf

June 13, 2013 at 10:41 pm

Paplebomb has 0 blown saves this year.

Adams getting the bottom of the order

just sayin

39. Tracey

June 13, 2013 at 10:42 pm

Oh, goodie, Adams didn’t blow it.

40. Andrew from Waldorf

June 13, 2013 at 10:46 pm

Lance Nix with 2 hits.

The last time that happened Jose Mesa was closing for the Phils

41. Tracey

June 13, 2013 at 10:59 pm

(chanting to the tune of Let’s Go Phillies):
    Please don’t blow it! (clap clap clap-clap-clap)
    Please don’t blow it! (clap clap clap-clap-clap)
    Please don’t blow it! (clap clap clap-clap-clap)

42. Andrew from Waldorf

June 13, 2013 at 11:05 pm

Never in doubt!

This team is great!!!!!

43. Tracey

June 13, 2013 at 11:05 pm

YES!!! YES!!! IT’S ABOUT TIME!!!

44. Tracey

June 13, 2013 at 11:07 pm

HI-I-IGH HOPES!
    WE HAVE TO BE … HIGH TO HAVE HOPES…

What do you mean, “those aren’t the lyrics”?

45. "Big Ed" Delahanty

June 13, 2013 at 11:09 pm

I’m thrilled we came back and gave Lee a win!

Dear Mr. Amaro,
    Can you explain to me why we left 29 base runners holding their jocks tonight? 7 were left by our super acquisition, D Young. We had 16 hits and barely scraped by with three runs. You need to wake up and look at reality instead of the back of baseball cards.

• schmenkman

June 13, 2013 at 11:16 pm

Hitting with runners in scoring position evens out over time. That’s not on Amaro. Not true of every night, but Amaro deserves kudos tonight.

• loupossehl

June 13, 2013 at 11:31 pm

63 comments and I think I understood just about every one … except the last one. Did Ruben Amaro just trade Delmon Young for Mike Trout or somethin’?

• schmenkman

June 13, 2013 at 11:36 pm

The players he did acquire gave up only 2 runs and got 16 hits. He can’t control something like hitting with runners in scoring position, which tends to even out over time. He had a good night tonight.

• loupossehl

June 14, 2013 at 2:11 am

Roger that. And I acknowledge the occasional glimmer of hope that is a young Ben Revere. However, such glimmers are so few and so far between: I have an old, broken watch that gives me the right time, twice a day. When it does for one moment, I don’t anticipate a particularly good reading for the next.

• "Big Ed" Delahanty

June 14, 2013 at 6:18 am

Schmenkman,
        I understand that; however, this team does not have much time left to wait for it to even out. At this point in the juncture, they need to start scoring runs and driving people in from third with one to no outs in the inning. D Young does not help that situation. I’d rather have Mayberry in there. Plus, I’m actually, for probably the first time in a post, gonna defend Cholly. He really wasn’t given much to work with this year. So I cannot blame him, that blame starts with the GM, scouts, etc.

• hk

June 14, 2013 at 7:24 am

Big Ed,

I think the point that shmenkman is making is that “clutch hitting”, however you describe it, is a descriptive indicator, not a predictive one. Just because they were bad in “clutch” situations last night doesn’t mean they will be tonight. By the way, they are 8th in the NL in OPS in high leverage situations and 8th in the NL in OPS with men in scoring position, so they’re actually middle of the road relative to the league.

• schmenkman

June 14, 2013 at 7:24 am

It’s already even, but it’s random from night to night. Here’s where the Phillies rank in the NL, first in overall hitting…

Avg: 9th
        OPS: 10th

And then in hitting with runners in scoring position:

Avg: 9th
        OPS: 8th

Their problem isn’t hitting with RISP per se, it’s hitting period.

I know they’ve had their problems with runners on 3rd and less than two outs, but even so, here’s where they rank:

Avg: 9th
        OPS: 11th

And they’ve gotten the run home in 53% of those situations, which is 4th best in the NL.

So if the point is that they’re running out of time for the hitting (overall) to improve, I completely agree. And if that happens, the hitting with RISP, etc. will follow.