Analysis

Phillies Prez Montgomery Backs Amaro

ruben-amaro.p1I know some people who won’t be too happy about this.

Stuck in the quagmire of another middling season, many are pointing fingers in one direction: Ruben Amaro’s. David Montgomery says, it’s not all on him.

Montgomery told the Philadelphia Inquirer that it falls on several people within the organization when it comes to player evaluation, not just the GM.

“The reality is that when things don’t go well, people look to find, well, whose fault is it?” Montgomery said. “I believe in situations like this that when times are good there’s enough credit to go around. It’s all of us. Ruben is not making independent decisions. He’s going with a pretty good group of eyes who are looking out there at players and making determinations. God knows we’re all trying to bat 1.000 on decision making. The reality is, I think we do better than the .300 standard in baseball.”

There are certainly many Phillies fans who will take issue with this stance from Montgomery. Amaro is the chief decision maker in the organization and no matter what will get the brunt of the blame, right or wrong. He is responsible for putting the team on the field, building the bullpen, and overseeing the minor league system. It’s easy to quickly jump to conclusions, but there is a two-year sample size to work with here and the results aren’t pretty.

It sounds as though Montgomery is fine with Amaro bringing the team through organizational transition. Whether or not you agree, the prez has spoken. I’ve said this numerous times before; David Montgomery has helped build the Phillies empire by keeping strong personal relationships and does not seem to have an interest in firing people unless he absolutely feels he must. He clearly is not there yet with Amaro. But how much time will Amaro have under Monty’s leadership?

1. Johanna

June 21, 2013 at 8:31 am

Seems to me like this year they were trying to be Billy Beane, except they didn’t make Billy Beane decisions. For instance, Delmon Young doesn’t get on base, or hit, or run, or catch….

2. Jeff Orbach

June 21, 2013 at 8:35 am

Billy Beane? More like Mr. Bean!

• Johanna

June 21, 2013 at 8:45 am

Ha! Now that’s funny.

• Eric

June 21, 2013 at 12:18 pm

Hahahahahahaha! That IS funny!

3. Greg

June 21, 2013 at 9:13 am

I hope this is the “vote of confidence” one gets just before being fired.

• mike

June 21, 2013 at 9:45 am

agreed, that’s usually how it plays out

4. George

June 21, 2013 at 9:33 am

I’ve been saying a number of times that Amaro makes decisions based on scouting, and that the scouting department leaves a lot to be desired.

It’s still Amaro’s job to develop that department, and I think it’s about time he or somebody else started shaking it up. It’s never one man’s fault that a team is mediocre, their farm system is bleak, and many draft picks don’t seem to work out, but it all eventually leads to the man in charge. If the scouts are seeing talent in people like D. Young and M. Martinez, they obviously can’t be “a pretty good group of eyes.”

5. Mac

June 21, 2013 at 3:58 pm

Of course he backs Amaro. He also backs Wheeler. Both are terrible at their respective jobs. I see a pattern…

6. loupossehl

June 21, 2013 at 5:27 pm

Seems to me that a 30% success rate hints at a 70% failure rate.

I have a very special coin (I call it a “penny”) that enables me to correctly make a heads-or-tails “decision” about 50% of the time. Should I ship it off to the Phillies’ front office … or, perhaps, allow them to rent it for those special times when a decision has to be made?

7. Angelo

June 21, 2013 at 5:28 pm

About five years ago, I thought that Rube was a genius. The first Lee deal was amazing, signing Ibanez was a move that came out of left field (no pun intended and ended up being a great one, and he did get Lee to come back to Philly. Even the Halladay deal was a good one. I don’t even blame him for the Howard contract (seriously, at the time almost everyone here would have given that extension to him), I do blame him everything he’s done in the past year and a half or so. When I was told that Hunter Pence for a AA catching prospect as the headliner, a decent at best A ball pitcher, and a reserve outfielder who isn’t even on the team. Compared to what we gave up for Pence, it’s like spending $100 in the lottery and winning a nickel. It did absolutely nothing to really help the team rebuild. As much as I love Revere, I still think that a pitching prospect and Worley was too much for him, especially when it was just one pitching prospect was all it took for the Nats to get Span, the overall better player. He’s giving up too much and not getting enough back in return. Let’s not even get started with the fact that he doesn’t even use advanced metrics, something that every winning team (probably every team) in order to help make his decisions. In my opinion, he’s gotten his chance, we need a shake up, we need to infuse some new ideas into the front office. I like Ruben, he’s a great GM on a winning team, but he’s not the guy to rebuild the team.

8. Fritz

June 22, 2013 at 8:17 am

Let’s see if you make “good” decisions 30 percent of the time that means most of your decisions are bad. so you make twice as many bad decisions as good ones. No wonder we stink, they have standards that are far too low.

• Ken Bland

June 22, 2013 at 8:34 am

You gotta be careful in ripping people. Guy’s a club president and that warrants some degree of automatic respect, but that quote, that interview, contained some just ridiculously stupid comments.

Sill, to put expectations on percentage of successful deals, but you gotta hit at least half right. Which, maybe Team Amaro has done. And you see the results. I guess you gotta hit the right half.