Dom Brown, Home Run Derby Snub – Phillies Nation
Analysis

Dom Brown, Home Run Derby Snub

AP Photo.

AP Photo.

Domonic Brown is second in the National League in home runs (as of this writing) with 23, yet will not be taking part in the Home Run Derby at Citi Field in New York City. Instead, hometown captain David Wright has assembled this team:

-David Wright (Captain): 13 HR
-Bryce Harper: 13 HR
-Michael Cuddyer: 15 HR
-Carlos Gonzalez: 24 HR

As you can see, MICHAEL CUDDYER!? Brown has previously stated that he would have taken part in the derby. “It can screw up your swing if you go about it the wrong way,” Brown told the Philadelphia Inquirer.  “I’d go about it the right way.”

Unfortunately, we won’t get to see that sweet lefty swing pelting Utley’s Corner with mammoth blasts. And as someone who has seen him mash some shots in BP, we’re missing out.

Does it bother you that Brown is not in the derby?

1. Lindsey

July 8, 2013 at 8:02 pm

I love Cuddy, (I live in CO but have been a Phillies fan almost my whole life) but I was shocked! Why would you not have the second best HR hitter this season in there!?! I am completely flabbergasted. I just don’t get it. I understand putting Bryce Harper in there with the snub last year but not putting Dom in is just crazy.

2. AJB

July 8, 2013 at 8:09 pm

Doesn’t bother me at all. Three words:

Bobby
    Effin’
    Abreu

• DavidE

July 8, 2013 at 10:03 pm

Abreu won the Derby and then went into a huge slump. There are some who say that it messes up the swings of the participants.

• schmenkman

July 8, 2013 at 10:22 pm

There is no good evidence that the home run derby messes up hitters. They get invited because they have big first halves, and hitters with big first halves tend to regress in the second half, whether they participate in the HRD or not.

• quadratic

July 8, 2013 at 11:14 pm

Sorry, but David E is spot on. I was quite relieved to hear that Dom will not be in the HR derby; if you think that the regression is a coincidence, try searching further back. Honestly, though, I would think that common sense says that the HR Derby cannot help your swing, but can only harm.

Howard
        quadratic@juno.com

• schmenkman

July 9, 2013 at 3:35 am

Common sense by itself doesn’t have a great track record in determining cause and effect, especially when multiple variables are involved. It’s true, in 2005 Abreu hit 18 in the first half, participated in the derby, and then hit only 6 in the second half. But he was never really a home run hitter, and it was surprising that he was even invited. 18 was the most he ever hit in the first half (also did it in 2004). In 2003 he hit 14 in the first half and only 6 in the second, without a HR derby to blame it on.

Here are a couple of studies of the issue:

“The problem lies in determining whether or not the Derby plays a part in the decline. Logic suggests it does not and that simple regression makes much more sense, but perhaps it’s a combination of both.”

“That means, it’s not a physical or mental adjustment some players are going through, but rather a statistical one.”

3. BeyondInfinity

July 8, 2013 at 8:11 pm

Harper and cuddyer out, brown and alvarez in

4. Ian

July 8, 2013 at 8:13 pm

Cuddy is actually one of the strongest guys in the league. Wouldnt be suprised to see him blast some mammoth shots. Honestly i think Gonzo gonna sit out with injury and D Brown will get nod. Was watching ESPN and Wright started talking about a lefty from same division and got all excited completely forgetting about harper. Oh well it will still be something to kill 3 hours of my night.

5. Jodi

July 8, 2013 at 8:15 pm

Who cares?!? It is just an all-star game it doesn’t mean anything anyway towards the season stats.

The best players in the game are not even starting it — The fans have *way* too much involvement in the All Star Game and they usually only care about picking their home teams players whether they are good or not.

6. Evan

July 8, 2013 at 8:18 pm

David Wright, a Met, slighted a Phillie. Is anyone really shocked by this?

7. Deborah Hogan

July 8, 2013 at 8:28 pm

HELL NO. BUT HARPER SHOULDNT BE THERE EITHER.

8. Ken Bland

July 8, 2013 at 8:31 pm

“Does it bother you that Brown is not in the derby?”

I love the way Pat Gallen tries to stir up controversy.

In a word, Pat, it’s relative. What bothers me MORE is that you, I think categorized under BOLDLY predicted What can Brown do for you would smack 27 homers this year. Maris never had it so good in pacing Ruth. Please work on your prediction skill set.

But seriously, it doesn’t bother me. I can’t imagine how that experience puts a hitter in a zone, or improves their lot. Might be an old wives tale, but that’s how it seems.

Let’s see if we can get a Callison like reprieve 49 years after the fact instead in the same city. That, for sure, would NOT bother me.

9. David P

July 8, 2013 at 8:51 pm

Lol ken. Yeah, I’m sure before the season began you would have predicted brown being on pace for 40+ homers. You slay me.

10. Jaron B

July 8, 2013 at 8:54 pm

Given the selection’s HR totals, it’s disappointing that Brown, the NL runner-up in HRs, was not selected to partake in the Derby. I like having Wright as captain (I’m tired of all the boos) and Cuddyer had quite a hit-streak going a few days ago, so I approve there. Harper missed a lot of time due to the effects of colliding with the Dodger Stadium scoreboard and has less HRs… he’s a fan favorite at under-21-years-old, so I can see why Wright chose him. I only hope that the Nats insist that Harper NOT partake in the Derby and that Brown is at the very top of the list for alternates.

11. Morris Buttermaker

July 8, 2013 at 9:28 pm

If only Amaro had signed Cuddyer when he was begging to come here.

12. The Original Chuck P

July 8, 2013 at 9:34 pm

It bothers me a little… On one hand, Brown admitted that it can screw you up so we don’t have to worry about that but on the other he also said that he’d be honored and he deserves it. Alvarez deserved the nod, too. On the surface, none of those guys are really home run hitters… Kind of perplexing. How about Goldschmidt?

13. Nathan

July 8, 2013 at 9:42 pm

I’m not upset at all that Brown will not be in the home run derby.

July 8, 2013 at 10:31 pm

I don’t care about this at all. I don’t even like the event the way it is presently set up. Tom Verducci had some ideas about how they could make it more interesting for the fans.

But the most important thing they need to change is to get rid of Chris “back back back” Berman, if they haven’t already. I haven’t watch it for a few years.

• Jaron B

July 9, 2013 at 5:44 am

Yeah, Berman is still the Derby commentator. It’s getting old. EVERY home run (and there are about 100 of them): “back, back back… and gone.” #monotonous

• Chuck A.

July 9, 2013 at 7:01 am

Berman’s ok…. for baseball. But I cringed when he was actually one of the ESPN announcers for the US Open last month. Chris Berman and golf????

15. Richard Feldman

July 8, 2013 at 11:28 pm

I agree with the late George Steinbrenner that the important thing is to win the World Series. Let Domonic save his energy and skills to hopefully make the playoffs.

16. "Big Ed" Delahanty

July 9, 2013 at 9:34 am

I could care less. My main concern is that we start and continue to play good baseball and over take the Braves.

17. George

July 9, 2013 at 9:45 am

I alway thought a “derby” was a hat or a horserace. Never knew it was a glorified version of batting practice.

In other words, I really don’t care. I never watch batting practice.

• Chuck A.

July 9, 2013 at 10:23 am

I love batting practice.

18. Ryan Howard's neighbor

July 9, 2013 at 11:12 am

I’d rather have my guy helping to lead my team to the playoffs (hopefully). The derby is stupid anyway. Haven’t watched it or the all star game in years.

19. Don M

July 9, 2013 at 11:26 am

I think it’s horseshit… not even that Brown didn’t get invited… but that the HR leaders in the NL are the participants.

Goldschmidt would be great to watch, he can hit it out of any park…

The Home Run Derby should be the top 4 HR hitters that made the All Star team in each league.. simple as that. If one of them declines, the next guy should be asked… There is no reason at all that Cuddyer should be in there.. he’s friends with Wright… he’s a 2nd Colorado Rockie in the event.. .. he’s only got 15 HRs..

and if the league is concerned with marketing young stars… then it should be Harper and Puig ………….. Machado and Trout … etc. The whole “Captains” thing is ridiculous.. if it’s an event for the fans, there is no way the fans would want to see Cuddyer in there

20. Pingback: Dom Brown, Home Run Derby Snub | Home stuff

21. c. schreiber

July 9, 2013 at 7:38 pm

Glad he’s not. Can only hurt his second half, no value in it.

22. Bob a.

July 10, 2013 at 12:29 pm

Does Dom deserve to be an all star….yes
    Does Dom deserve to be in the home run derby….yes
    But fan and captain favs win out…shame!