2013 Gameday

Gameday: Phillies (43-46) vs Nationals (46-42)

adz8otx6xektaq3eszfoq5ecjPhiladelphia Phillies (43-46) vs Washington Nationals (46-42)

John Lannan (1-3, 5.15) v. Dan Haren, (4-9, 6.15)

TIME: 7:00, Citizens Bank Park
Weather: Partly Cloudy, 81
Media: Twitter and Facebook

Lineup: Revere CF, Rollins SS, Utley 2B, Brown LF, M. Young 3B, D. Young RF, Ruf 1B, Ruiz C, Lannan P.

Your Gameday Beer: Landshark Lager

Not the greatest brew in the world, but it’s probably better than your Millers’ and Coors’ of the world. And a case isn’t too expensive, so enjoy. -Pat Gallen

1. teejvee

July 8, 2013 at 7:34 pm

should be at leat 4-0. 2 brutal ab’s by utley and delmon young.

• G7

July 8, 2013 at 7:38 pm

Very good ab by Ruf though..I’ ll take it..Haren is awful..

2. teejvee

July 8, 2013 at 8:07 pm

Awful- but he’s got 5 k’s. BRUTAL ABs by Young and Ruf. Should be 6-0.

3. Ken Bland

July 8, 2013 at 8:16 pm

It isn’t that this game isn’t interesting enough to keep ya going, but what really grabbed my attention was this fan in the stands ‘view Murphy did with this 93 year old woman attending her first ever Phillies game. That checks in as a step north of mind boggling.

My calculator tells me she’d be born in 1920.00. That means the presence of Ruth, for cryin’ out loud never dragged her to an A’s game (well, I assume…they did say first0 Phils game), she bypassed the Whiz Kid era. Schmidt and Company never got her there, and even her fellow Wheeze kids were never more than a radio-tv ‘venture. I GET not going since ’08, because what 80 plus year old in their right mind would battle large crowds to test their physical fragility.

Good job, Mary. It’s just too bad that for the one game she goes to, Cliff’s not throwing because the animation would be a fun look back for her 50years from now. Then again, if this lead holds, and with Washington averaging a run a month, it might, she’d have a rare winning percentage in the games attended for a 93 year old Phillies fan. I always knew if I hanged long enough, I’d meet somebody older than Bart Shart. I just didn’t expect it at a first ever Phillie game. That is one terrific story.

4. G7

July 8, 2013 at 8:35 pm

Time to knock Haren out of this game..

5. Ken Bland

July 8, 2013 at 8:46 pm

The Phils have now left more runners on tonight than the 1894 Phis did all year.

I doubt any of the runners were the same with all the turnover the sport has.

6. Ken Bland

July 8, 2013 at 9:12 pm

Lannan, MOST deservedly wil get props and probably some degree of overhype after tonight’s now barely in progress effort.

As he should.

But my mind wanders watching him tonight. It’s hardly his firt time demonstrating a solid propensity to produce ground balls, but in tonight’s even better than usual demo of that, I can’t help but think of what a theoretically tremendous pen guy he’d be. He lacks the K capability, but matched up effectively, with that tendency to grounders geez, Louise. But, there’s more money in starting, and you can’t fault the guy for pursuing that.

• G7

July 8, 2013 at 9:25 pm

Outstanding performance…anyone got a bottle?

• "Big Ed" Delahanty

July 8, 2013 at 9:28 pm

Never looked at it that way, Ken. If he was convinced to move there, who would replace him? Or would they do away with a fifth starter?
      On another note, Ruf is playing well!

• Ken Bland

July 9, 2013 at 11:02 am

There’s what I believe to be clear implication that the assessment was on a career view, or other options based on pursuit of money. I’m not saying he should hit the pen here. There’s zero need for the guy to consider relieving at this point of his career. But based on the reasons cited, in theory, he could find a real niche there. Truth is, you probably could say the same for a goodly number of starters, but those were my thoughts on Lannan at the time, so I wrote what I was thinking. Love that ground ball inducement. Shame it doesn’t have more sex appeal in the overall scheme of pitching achievements. Good luck finding the record for most GB’s in a game. Maybe it’s there, but it’s not like most K’s in a game, or other headliners.

7. Betasigmadeltashag

July 8, 2013 at 9:29 pm

I love you guys but really bitching about a few bad at bats and some runners left on base when you could be talking about the gem Lannon is pitching or Revers 3 hits 2 runs and SB. Or maybe Jimmy’s clutch 2 out RBI and 2 hits and one robbed liner. No lets just pick the beget ices in a 3-0 game

8. G7

July 8, 2013 at 9:51 pm

Well done..solid outing..3 more to go!

9. Betasigmadeltashag

July 8, 2013 at 9:53 pm

Well Pap tried to give it away. But settle in to finish it off. And the rest of the pen had the night off. Good win lets do it again tomorrow