2013 Gameday

Gameday: Phillies (49-51) at Cardinals (60-37)

Philadelphia Phillies (49-51) at St. Louis Cardinals (60-37)

John Lannan (2-3, 3.76) vs. Jake Westbrook (6-4, 2.88)

Time: 8:15 PM EST, Busch Stadium
Weather:  Partly Cloudy, 82
TV: PHL 17
Media: Twitter and Facebook
Tickets: Philadelphia Phillies tickets

BREAKING NEWS:

Bad news for the Phillies as Domonic Brown is out of the lineup with concussion-like symptoms.  According to Todd Zolecki, Brown is being tested for a concussion today, and could return Friday if the test goes well.  If not, he’ll be placed on the 7-day concussion disabled list at the very least.

Tonight’s Preview:

The Phillies dropped another one, losing to the Cardinals 4-1 last night.  With the trade deadline coming up, the Phillies could turn to the direction of selling if they continue to fall well under .500.  The Phillies are in desperate need of a hot streak if they want a chance to even think about contending.

Tonight, the Phillies will be facing another Cardinals pitcher who has been successful this season in Jake Westbrook. John Lannan has been solid lately, posting a 2.84 ERA in his last six starts.

Lineup: Rollins SS, Young 3B, Utley 2B, Young RF, Ruf 1B, Nix LF, Mayberry CF, Ruiz C, Lannan P.

GO PHILLIES!

1. Andrew from Waldorf

July 24, 2013 at 8:12 pm

Another must win for the Phils.

Bad luck showing that dimwit Ruben Amaro before the game.
    He interviews about like he GMs.

Go phils!!!!!

2. "Big Ed" Delahanty

July 24, 2013 at 8:47 pm

Bottom of the 2nd, and the Cardinals, a great hitting crew the past few seasons, has the Phils and Lannan on the ropes with three on and no outs. Ugh!!!!!!!

3. "Big Ed" Delahanty

July 24, 2013 at 9:12 pm

Phils made Westbrook work in the fourth – eight pitches. Grrrrr!!!!!

4. "Big Ed" Delahanty

July 24, 2013 at 9:19 pm

It’s ok though we have Mini Mart with a .506 OPS. He ranks right up there with myself in thirteen years with the Phils with mine being an OPS of .922. I think Ted Williams had a 1.116 OPS. Look out, this is Mini’s year. Lol.

5. Scooter

July 24, 2013 at 9:29 pm

Please sell. For the love of god, Ruben, sell.

• wbramh

July 25, 2013 at 12:39 am

For the love of God, sell Ruben.

6. Mark Baldus

July 24, 2013 at 9:35 pm

I don’t know about anyone else, but I don’t see any discipline what so ever in this club house!! What was Rollins excuse for that humiliating error??

• schmenkman

July 24, 2013 at 9:58 pm

I must have missed it, the only error I see was Freese’s (was that also humillating?).

And in what way did the error look discipline-related?

• schmenkman

July 24, 2013 at 10:16 pm

(and was Freese’s also discipline-related?)

7. Mike

July 24, 2013 at 9:39 pm

Charlie, seriously? Frandsen and McDonald to pinch hit and you use a .056 hitter?

Everyday it’s getting worse

• Double Trouble Del

July 24, 2013 at 11:05 pm

I love it. Its a slap in Amaro’s face that he runs this bs out of the pen and in to pinch hit.

• wbramh

July 25, 2013 at 11:38 am

Better to use Cliff Lee as a pinch hitter.
      At least he can make contact and reach the fence.

8. c. schreiber

July 24, 2013 at 9:41 pm

Jesus, it tells the story of this squad when John Mcdonald is your PH with men on in the 5th in a 3 run game. We had a choice of him or minimart. Christ, buckin sake.

9. "Big Ed" Delahanty

July 24, 2013 at 9:52 pm

I’m turning off the tube. I can’t watch anymore of the Cardinals hitting clinic. Isn’t their RISP average around .300 or more? I think it is time to sell and re-tool.

• schmenkman

July 24, 2013 at 10:10 pm

.337 actually. Far far ahead of second best in the NL — .260 (COL). Phils 7th at .250.

Last year St. Louis hit .264 with RISP (5h). Phils hit .263 (6th). Compared to .277 overall for St. Louis, and .257 overall for Phils. So last year the Phils got a little better with RISP while St. Louis got worse.

Next year, I am betting St. Louis will be back in the .250-.270 range.

10. Morris Buttermaker

July 24, 2013 at 9:54 pm

All of a sudden the relievers are struggling?

Really? T Mac? They have been horrible all season.

11. Mark Baldus

July 24, 2013 at 10:03 pm

Embarrassing, I have nothing else to say but just plain embarrassing!!

12. Bob D

July 24, 2013 at 10:04 pm

They’ll be ok. They will likely score two touchdowns in the 8tg

13. c. schreiber

July 24, 2013 at 10:06 pm

RAJ..what a fu…..g outfield. Nix, Mayberry and Young. PLEASE SELL AND PLEASE RELEASE MINIMART & MCDONALD. Call up all your best from the farm by position and let them play it can’t be any worse than what we’re watching tonight. PLEASE.

• Morris Buttermaker

July 24, 2013 at 10:12 pm

Sell MiniMart and McDonald?

Hmmm… I’m sure they already have plenty of hot dog wrappers and straws. I’m not sure why the Phillies would want to acquire more.

• schmenkman

July 24, 2013 at 10:14 pm

Wait. I can understand injury prone old guys, but are we also blaming Amaro for injuries to young guys now?

• wbramh

July 25, 2013 at 11:51 am

I blame Ruben for the sinking of the Titanic.

It does seem like the teams with high payrolls also have the highest number of wounded players at any one time (ie: Yankees, Dodgers, Red Sox, Braves, Phillies, etc) . Aside from the addition of freak accidents to any player at any age – like concussions and stepped on feet (or a foul ball off the foot) I wonder if that’s related to the number of older veteran free agent signings by teams with cash to waste. If that’s a factor, all the more reason to develop a first class farm system.

14. Dave

July 24, 2013 at 10:06 pm

It’s ok…no one is watching the Phillies anymore.

15. Morris Buttermaker

July 24, 2013 at 10:08 pm

That inning by JC Ramierez is why Rube is not allowed to trade Cliff Lee again.

16. Andrew from Waldorf

July 24, 2013 at 10:12 pm

Shenkman your positive posts give me a LOL in games like this.

I appreciate that. And I am not being sarcastic.

The deal with Ruben selling is that he will not sell appropriately. He is a dumbass.

I had stayed away from this site as the phils had climbed into second and gotten over .500.

Yes I am supersticious.

But after the 2 mets loses and these 2 games in St :Louis I guess it doesn’t matter.

17. hk

July 24, 2013 at 10:14 pm

TMac says, “Man, Delmon has been peppering that warning track these first couple of games” as if showing warning track power is a good thing.

• Andrew from Waldorf

July 24, 2013 at 11:52 pm

He also said that 5 run fifth inning was a killer.

I laughed then too.

There is a point where Wheeler and McCarthy become a comedy team.

If there is a countdown to Doc or Howards return in late august I will vomit.

18. DavidE

July 24, 2013 at 10:15 pm

Why is McDonald brought into pinch hit with runners on base? Real brain dead move. I would have used Frandsen or Kratz to try and get some runs back.

19. Bart Shart

July 24, 2013 at 10:39 pm

Let’s face it, the Phillies stink. They need NEW leadership in the front office and on the field.
    Amaro and Manuel are simply overmatched. And we need an injection of new, younger, talented players to galvanize our rebuilding program.

20. Morris Buttermaker

July 24, 2013 at 10:52 pm

I agree with the Phillies selling. I don’t agree with Amaro being in charge of that selling. His lousy moves are the reason the Phillies are in this mess. I don’t trust him to get the Phillies out of it.

It’s like relying on the cab driver who got you lost to get you to your destination.

• schmenkman

July 24, 2013 at 10:59 pm

And I don’t agree with the temperature topping 90 again this summer, but I think we might both be disappointed.

21. Mike

July 24, 2013 at 10:58 pm

Screw you Laynce

• Morris Buttermaker

July 24, 2013 at 11:00 pm

Laynce became obsolete to the Phillies when Wigginton was released. After Wiggington was released, you could no longer say, “At least Nix is better than Wiggington.”

• George

July 25, 2013 at 1:52 pm

That may be true, but can’t we still say,” At least Nix is better than Martinez, or better than McDonald, or better than almost the entire bullpen.” (Wilson Valdez was better than the current middle relievers, so I see no reason why Nix might not work just as well.)

22. JohnMatrix

July 24, 2013 at 11:06 pm

Whos playing CF at lehigh? Hes gotta be better than mayberry

23. Double Trouble Del

July 24, 2013 at 11:14 pm

I love the fact that Charlie runs the guys he’s been given out there in games like this. Its not his fault he’s been given the following players: Nix, Martinez, DeFratus, Diekman, Savery, MacDonald, Ramierez, Aumont, Valdes, Qunitero et al. Although I don’t wax as poetically as Andrew from Waldorf, I can’t help but place the blame for this debacle squarely in the lap of RAJ.

• Morris Buttermaker

July 24, 2013 at 11:18 pm

I speculated about that about a month ago regarding Charlie playing Delmon Young everyday. Part of me feels like he is doing it out of spite for Amaro. Kind of saying, “Ok Rube. These are the guys you gave me. You feel like they are capable players. I am going to play them.” I felt that way when he pinch hit McDonald today. Same reason he plugs Mini Mart into the game. If Rube thinks these players are capable of being Major League players, then Charlie might as well play them.

• hk

July 25, 2013 at 6:55 am

Back when RAJ signed Delmon, I was very critical of the deal and most of those who defended RAJ responded with comments to the effect of, “if he sucks, RAJ will just cut him and he won’t cost the team much money.” My response then was something along the lines of, “when a team signs a guy who is a mediocre hitter and a poor fielder and base runner, they won’t release him if ends up being a mediocre hitter and a poor fielder and base runner.”

The bottom line is that, regardless of whether Charile plays Delmon to spite RAJ or because this roster is so poorly constructed that Delmon is one of the top 3 OF’s – with Revere and now Dom hurt, he is the 2nd best OF – Charlie deserves very little blame for this year’s results. I still think that his poor strategic decisions hurt the team in the long run, but they are a minor part of this team’s record.

24. Double Trouble Del

July 24, 2013 at 11:18 pm

Dear RAJ: Would it be possible for you to release Laynce Nix tomorrow? Thank you DTD

25. hot dog

July 25, 2013 at 12:06 am

they can not catch a baseball. Please give us someone who can catch the ball.

26. Andrew from Waldorf

July 25, 2013 at 1:57 am

How embarrassing was the Ruben interview?

This is the guy calling the shots?

This is the same guy paying Howard $85,000,000..00
    For the next 3.3 years?

Maybe he will make a good move?

Or maybe he will sign Nix long term.

• hk

July 25, 2013 at 6:56 am

I didn’t see it. What did he say? Was he asked any difficult questions?

According to one MLB executive who spoke to Jayson Stark, the Phillies are definitely buyers.

27. Robotnik

July 25, 2013 at 7:21 am

Fly EAGLES, Fly! E-A-G-L-E-S….. Go EAGLES!

Time to move on……

28. Mike in NJ

July 25, 2013 at 8:38 am

Didn’t that 5th inning sum up this organization the last two years?

— Top of 5th: Idiot manager uses a guy that probably shouldn’t even be in the bigs to pinch hit in a critical spot of the game, and he hits into a weak double play.

— Bottom of 5th: BP pitcher acquired by idiot GM by trading away one of the top SP in the game comes in and immediately puts the game out of reach, aided once again by piss poor fundamentals of the defense.

— Michael EFFIN Martinez is once again on this roster. WTF HAS TO HAPPEN TO GET RID OF THIS EFFIN STIFF?!?!?!?!?!? I am seriously not watching another Phillies game until this worthless piece of poo is no longer in the organization.

P.S. Fire Reuben today, Monty!!! I don’t trust this moron to handle the upcoming fire sale.

• Hogey's Role

July 25, 2013 at 9:29 am

Fire sale?? that moron gm is going to buy haven’t you heard? Lol

• Ken Bland

July 25, 2013 at 5:56 pm

“Michael EFFIN Martinez ”

I resent that nickname you are trying to get to stick for the Mini Man. Effin is a baseball nickname deservedly attached to one of what seems the great people in the great families in The Game. Aaron Effin Boone just has a rightful ring to it.

Maybe because I never saw Robert Grove pitch, but I got no problem with Steve Carlton having assumed the nickname.

He couldn’t hit (too well anyway), but he sure could manage, so I was okay with Whitey Herzog taking the whiter shade of pale from that Ford guy.

Sweet Lou Pinella was semi tolerable in the stead of short term wonder, but whata wonder Sweet Lou Johnson was.

Derek Jeter running around to the call of The Captain could be better, but that’s only because Thurman Munson was THE MAN.

But by and large, replacement nicknames, if you will, should be reserved for greatness, not Minnieness. So let’s stick with Minnie, not Effin, and we’ll just avoid questions about how much this policy should offend the greatness of Senor Minoso.

29. schmenkman

July 25, 2013 at 10:51 am

Jim Salisbury reporting today he has a *hunch* that Phils and Utley are working on an extension. That’s very good “news”, to use the term loosely.

30. The Dipsy

July 25, 2013 at 11:41 am

“Hunch”? Why would you sign a perpetually injured guy to an extension? Especially when his successor is ready in AAA?

The Dipsy

• schmenkman

July 25, 2013 at 11:52 am

Short answer: because even if he only plays 1/2 to 2/3 of a season, Utley will generate more production/value than any possible successor over the next 3+ years.

• wbramh

July 25, 2013 at 2:10 pm

Additionally, other than Utley, who else on this roster can show the younger players how the game is played? When utley is half healthy, he still outperforms , out-thinks and out-hustles everyone else on the club. Hopefully, some of that rubs off by example, including his Herculean attempts to get himself back in shape against great odds.
        He’s worth his salary just for the example he sets.

This team would be brain-dead without Utley’s presence – even sitting on the bench.

31. The Dipsy

July 25, 2013 at 12:16 pm

Thats just silly.

The Dipsy

• schmenkman

July 25, 2013 at 12:29 pm

Fascinating Dipsy — care to elaborate? In the meantime, here are the best second basemen over the past calendar year, by fWAR:

Cano 6.8
      Pedroia 6.1
      Utley 5.8 (also, 16th highest among all MLB position players)

32. The Dipsy

July 25, 2013 at 1:03 pm

We are seeing Chase Utley play well. I believe that the degenerative nature of his knees could cause him to quit the game at ANY time. So….if you sign him to a three year extension, which would be insane, and he can’t play the last two years, then where are you? I notice that you picked the last calender year…because that when he’s played. My concern is when Utley doesn’t play – and the odds are fair that he his legs won’t last the life of his extension. I guess if incentives were involved, and I could see a number, I would feel differently. But the Phils will guarantee all the money (of course) at about 3/40 (a guess). That’s a bad value proposition. And I love Utley. Plus Hernandez is there and ready.

The Dipsy

• schmenkman

July 25, 2013 at 1:38 pm

I don’t know about any time, but I suppose it’s possible things could go bad quickly. And then you have Hernandez (or Galvis) available to step in, and you probably have insurance for that sort of thing.

But if he’s really found a way to manage the situation and play, then you have an elite second baseman for the next several years.

He did miss a month this year by the way, although it wasn’t knee-related. In any case, this is WAR since the start of the 2010 season:

– 24th highest WAR among all MLB position players
      – 4th among all MLB second basemen, in spite of the missed time
      (behind Cano, Pedroia, and Zobrist, who’s a part time second baseman)

Off-topic, interesting article from Rob Neyer today on Utley’s (slim) HoF chances, closing with this:

“Purely in terms of baseball-playing ability, though, Utley’s as good a second baseman as anybody we’ve ever seen.*
      * please e-mail me if you saw Rogers Hornsby in his prime”

33. Fritz

July 25, 2013 at 1:29 pm

The only thing I blame (or give credit to)Amaro for is the team.It’s his baby and how it does is a direct reflection on the job he has done as GM.The season isn’t over and I hope they start winning again but I fear that won’t happen.

34. Ken Bland

July 25, 2013 at 1:57 pm

There’s a certain type of righty Charlie has indicated more comfort in using Mayberry against.
    I don’t know where Lance Lynn falls in that read, but it’s possible that this could be the night where Del and Laynce Nix flank Mini in the OF There’s no need to try to rate that outfield against current or past competition. I’ve found through the years that indicating something or someone is bad or stupid isn’t necessary. It shows itself easily enough.

From one standpoint, which is only one of however many determine a starter, and maybe a much smaller priority, I’d keep Mayberry in the lineup. I wouldn’t pull him just off last night’s defensive snafu. Show confidence in him, and run him back out But in the overall scheme, Charlie needs to consider multiple factors.

Kendrick V The Redbirds conjures up some great, great memories from last year. What that’s worth tonight is all that matters out of that memory.

35. The Dipsy

July 25, 2013 at 2:08 pm

Utley is a fantastic 2B. And thats not an understatement. Some would argue that his era of dominance didn’t last long enough. I’ll take Joe Morgan, though. Back to back MVPs for a WS winning team. But he’s about it.

The Dipsy

36. Ken Bland

July 25, 2013 at 2:46 pm

I’ve seen it before, I have, but who knows where or when. The Great National League East Giveaway. Doen’t anyone, SOMEONE wanna win this here division? The Mess continue leading the Braves, 7-4, and the Nats have seen their 4 run first/Gio parlay reduced to a 1 run lead.

If you wanna know how bad the NL East is, just scan the standings and see what place the Phils would be in around the game. Perilous though it may be, they are second in the East. It ain’t no second nowhere else.

Somehow, The League is gonna come outta this okay. They’ll have maybe as many as 4 pretty good clubs vying in the playoffs, maybe 1 or 2 playing well at the time entrants. Some good, real good young pitching this year, but on the whole…not real good. And with Houston gone, no less.

37. Ken Bland

July 25, 2013 at 5:43 pm

This WAR measurement gets more _____ all the time. I use the word _____ because I don’t know what word to use.

But I think I figured out the formula based on the fact that barring typos, according to the good folk at BaseballReference.com, Hunter Pence has a higher war for da season in progress than Allen Craig by like 2.4 to 2.2. The formula appears to be assign selective values to whatever you want and come up with a conclusion. Not terribly different than what the good folk use in forming opinions on Chase Utley: To Extend or Deal. Consider the facts that one likes, usually the past, and form a steadfast view based on that.

Ah, the thinking man’s sport that we follow.

• schmenkman