2013 Gameday

Gameday: Phillies (49-52) vs. Detroit Tigers (56-45)

Philadelphia Phillies (49-52) at Detroit Tigers (56-45)

Cole Hamels (4-12, 4.16) vs. Doug Fister (8-5, 3.90)

Time: 7:08 PM EST, Comerica Park
Weather:  Cloudy, 73
Media: Twitter and Facebook
Tickets: Philadelphia Phillies tickets

The Phillies head to Detroit after being swept by the St. Louis Cardinals.  They’ve been stuck on 49 wins for a few days now, and can’t reach number 50.  It’s going to be another tough series as the Tigers are in first place in the American League Central.

Like the Phillies, the Tigers have had bullpen issues.  The Tigers rank 26th in bullpen ERA (4.08) while the Phillies rank 28th (4.51).  Manager Jim Leyland has shown that he has little trust in his bullpen.  In multiple instances as of late, closer Joaquin Benoit was forced to pitch in non-save situations to avoid late-inning comebacks by the opponent.  On the other hand, the Tigers have a very strong starting rotation, which has the sixth best ERA in all of baseball.

1. Ken Bland

July 26, 2013 at 6:52 pm

I am convinced the Phillies are playoff bound. Yee! Freaking! Haw! Last night, I logged on to this particular site, and my eyes meshed with a game story headlined by the Phils, at 49-52, preppin’ up to play the St. Louis Machinebirds. I watched the Phils lose, and come back tonight to see the Phils at 49-52 preppin’ up to play the Detroit Tigers. Losses not adding up should not only enable a playoff qualifier, but time to set the rotation for deep advancement in the playoffs.

No Jimmy Foxx 2 tonight. Hamels against him would have been fun to watch. But I assume Miggy’s there, and hopefully some creative scribe photogs a batting cage shot of Jimmy Foxx 2 and Mini Mart Mikey side by side for caption of “The Dos and Don’ts of Baseball.

I guess we’re still in Must Win territory. Gotta be gettin’ close to when AFW alters to Must Play. I mean ya gotta finish the schedule, right?

See if we can somehow watch a winner tonight, and winning weekend. Things are as bad as they seem, and yet cain’t get no worse.

2. Ken Bland

July 26, 2013 at 7:08 pm

Some pretty good pitchers going around The Game tonight. Some not matched with their equals, and it adds up to a sum of 126 as a collective O/U for the majors on the runs guess tonight.

I’m thinking the under wins as we explore a new angle to the ongoing game of Try to Outguess Las Vegas because Anytime you Dare Win, it’s probably a loan.

3. Ken Bland

July 26, 2013 at 7:15 pm

Ya gotta love first pitches that look like they have men written all over them.

Brilliantly observed, it would appear that the Tiger scouting report is jump on Jamels first pitch.

4. Ken Bland

July 26, 2013 at 7:26 pm

Looks like the Red Sox are 42-9 when scoring first. Entrenching my memory bacl to Opening Night, I believe the Phils are 2-1. Must be 2-2 and I’m forgetting an L. The Phils don’t do nothin’ over .500.

On 17 pitches seen in the first 3, you’d think the mark would stay at 2-2 tonight, but the game doesn’t work that way.

5. Ken Bland

July 26, 2013 at 7:47 pm

Disappointing inning…the one run is great, but Drandsen up with 2 on, yiou have a shot at least a 2, maybe 3 run frame, but Fister comes back big making Kevin look bad, and handling Jimmy well. You don’t get the impression that it’s a matter of time for the Tigers. Maybe the best way to put it is it looks probable that it will be competitive.

6. Ken Bland

July 26, 2013 at 8:14 pm

Some fine defense tonight supporting Hamels. Frandsen a real nice play early, and made another not exactly automatic assist last inning, not Nix and Young Mike turn over fine plays, and that double play I think Utley started where they got a guy at the plate as well.

So far, so good. A little hitting wouldn’t hurt, but Fister’s no slouch.

7. Ken Bland

July 26, 2013 at 8:25 pm

These guys playing tonight deserve the attention, scant lead as does exist, but I’m gonna guess that if Cliff is moved, it’s to Boston. Maybe Jackie Bradley heads over here. But I think Boston would be the one. It’d be a good move for Cliff. And he’d be real easy to root for ina B Strong uni. Big compromise on giving up those AB’s, but that’s life.

• Ken Bland

July 26, 2013 at 8:26 pm

Maybe Lee and Mike Young in a package. Makes sense.

• Ken Bland

July 26, 2013 at 8:38 pm

Not only do I have a stubborn streak that Boston has a great shot at getting Cliff, but something tells me it’s gonna happen fast. That’s a hunch, lord only knows what the course of events in any deal are, let alone this one. That stiff neck deal just seems weird. If it happens, it’s gonna be both very happy, and very sad news. But for Cliff, it’d be terrific.

8. Ken Bland

July 26, 2013 at 8:59 pm

Tiger pen questions or not, you convert a leadoff walk into a run with the bottom of the order kicking things off, and you’re asking for so much trouble.

9. Andrew from Waldorf

July 26, 2013 at 9:00 pm

Ha talking to yourself?

Voices in the head?

I think the fat lady is about to sing on the Phils season. If she hasn’t already.

Even if you somehow made the playoffs. Just not a good team.

Even with the Nats sucking and the braves being mediocre at best.

Can Amaro be fired before the trading deadline?

• Ken Bland

July 26, 2013 at 9:12 pm

Ha talking to yourself?

I’m less shy that way.

10. Andrew from Waldorf

July 26, 2013 at 9:02 pm

Cliff Lee trade probably means I lose my Mets Phillies better record bet.

Kind of sad since the Mets aren’t even trying to contend this year.

11. Ken Bland

July 26, 2013 at 9:28 pm

That was refreshing seeing the Phils 4 hitter show bunt. I don’t think that’s happened in a while. His at bat oughta just about do it.