Heyman: Dodgers Interested in Utley, Young – Phillies Nation
Posts

Heyman: Dodgers Interested in Utley, Young

Chase Utley

According to Jon Heyman of CBS Sports, Chase Utley is firmly on the radar of the Los Angeles Dodgers. Heyman states that it is unknown whether or not the Dodgers have contacted the Phillies about Utley and that Ruben Amaro Jr. is not anxious to trade Utley despite the fact that he is headed to free agency. The Phillies would received a compensatory pick for Utley if they made a qualifying offer following the 2013 season whereas the acquiring team would not be afforded the same under the new Collective Bargaining Agreement.

From the same Heyman piece, Heyman states that the Phillies will likely attempt to move third baseman Michael Young first. The 36-year old Young has been 2.1 wins more valuable than he was last season (-1.7 fWAR last year to 0.4 this year), hitting .287/.344/.409. Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe noted again today that Young’s right-handedness and ability to play third base make him an attractive target for the Red Sox.

Young will not likely garner a compensatory pick in free agency for the Phillies making a trade a bit more of a slam dunk rather than say, an Utley trade, even though Utley would produce a better return.

1. bacardipr

July 2, 2013 at 2:18 pm

Keep Utley make him a qualifying offer. Trade Young if/when they Concede bring up Ashce have him platoon with Frandsden.

• Don M

July 2, 2013 at 2:38 pm

keep Utley.. to make him a qualifying offer … just to get a draft pick ??

If you’re looking for a young player(s) in return.. it makes much more sense to go with guys that are already prospects in pro ball than just draft picks.

The options for Utley are: Trade him, Offer him arbitration, Sign him to a multi-year deal

In my opinion the smart move is to trade him.. get value from a 34-year-old with bad knees

2. bacardipr

July 2, 2013 at 3:36 pm

I think he will want to stay Don thats why i said that. Im still in between on the whole thing.

• Hogey's Role

July 2, 2013 at 4:09 pm

I agree I think he wants to stay and will take less to stay here.. keep him and make him a qualifying offer, he can decline it and we can resign him or let him walk,I think he’ll resign though

• G7

July 2, 2013 at 6:39 pm

Extend Utley, Ruiz..trade Rollins, MYoung, Papelbon, Kendrick…need to get younger, but also need solid veterans to teach the kids how to play hard..

• Ken Bland

July 2, 2013 at 6:38 pm

“I agree I think he wants to stay and will take less to stay here.”

That’s always nice when a fan applies THEIR values to a player’s privacy and concludes how that tthe layer feels and thinks a certain way, or like them.

Personally. I’ve NEVER heard him say anything about wanting to retire a Phillie. I HAVE heard him express concern about filling his end of the agreement on his current deal.

He’s got some activity going with animal rights, but that’s transferrable to any city. He lives in San Fransisco in the off season.

He’s as tight to the vest as any Phillie since Carlton. Wouldn’t catch me guessing on his wants. I only know he’s been a great player, still a good-very good one, a real asset, but history strongly suggests that he’s a real risk for more than 1 close to all-star year. Human nature says it would be tough to leave a job of some 10 years. So what? Lotsa folks look tough in the eye and stand up to it.

Meanwhile, the Phils are now closer to Miami in the standings than Atlanta. The Fish are a few over .500 since about 6/1, Just the facts. Even a guess on a subject’s destination like that leads to gray conclusions.

• Hogey's Role

July 15, 2013 at 10:06 pm

boom there it is Utley wants to stay here…

suck it ken bland & boy george

• George

July 2, 2013 at 10:47 pm

I’m in total agreement with you, Ken.

Fans will always be mind readers, however. It ranks right up there with with armchair management and 20/20 hindsight.

3. Don M

July 2, 2013 at 4:51 pm

I don’t think Utley will take less to stay here… it’s not like this is 2009 or 2010 and we’re still considered one-of, if not THE best team in baseball… the Phillies are far from being contenders, and he sees that firsthand.

If a better team is offering him more years and dollars… you guys really think he’s stay here just because ??

4. TheDipsy

July 2, 2013 at 5:00 pm

Keeping him here makes zero sense to me. If he is playing this well for another two weeks then he might get you a nice piece for your future. Just remember -when he is playing so well – how bad it is when he is NOT playing and what it does to the team and how old he is and how much payroll relief letting him go could give you. Fairtheewell mighty warrior.

The Dipsy

5. George

July 2, 2013 at 5:16 pm

A qualifying offer could be risky. It depends on if management thinks Utley is still a $15 M/year player, because there’s a risk that he could accept that offer and suddenly pull up lame for half the season once again. While he’s currently playing like a $15M man, you’d have to wonder if he can continue in the future.

To me, it would be the wisest move to see what could be gotten for Utley before the 31st. He’s a valuable player when healthy (which he is right now) and could net some real talent for next year. It would be an unpopular move, I’m sure, and might cost some attendance, but you can’t build your team’s future around an aging, injury prone player.

6. Hogey's Role

July 2, 2013 at 6:28 pm

I agree with the thought of trading Howard but nobody will take him, even if we paid all his contract… that would make it easy to keep Chase and shift him to first

• PhillyMike

July 2, 2013 at 8:38 pm

Utley is one of my favorite Phils ever. It breaks my heart to say this but the only logical thing to do is to trade him. Given his recent play, we might get some value in prospects for him. Keeping him now doesn’t help us at all. He has bad knees and that condition will probably come back at some point in the not too distant future. I also don’t see Ruiz staying past this year. I don’t see a market for him right now though. Papelbon, Lee and Rollins could all go. I would really hate to see that happen. The wildcard is the TV deal. The ownership wants to keep the team competitive to maximize the rights fees.

A nice 12 game winning streak beginning tonight would erase all of the above problems, at least for now. If we could get into the wildcard picture…..pipe dream? Yea, probably.

• G7

July 2, 2013 at 9:44 pm

No way..

7. Edwin

July 2, 2013 at 6:23 pm

Trade the strike out KING who can’t play first base and is overpaid for doing nothing for the club.Young has been at great addition to the club at 3rd base. His bat has been satisfactory. Trade Amaro.

8. Robotski

July 2, 2013 at 8:46 pm

Trade Howard by offering to pay a large chunk of his contract.
    Package Cliff Lee, Papelbon and MYoung for an everyday outfielder and prospects
    Keep Utley and JRoll
    Move Utley to first
    Bring up Hernandez play him at 2nd and Franco at 3rd
    Try Asche in LF?
    Forget about Ruf. He’s this generation’s Roger Freed.

9. PhillyMike

July 2, 2013 at 8:51 pm

Too early, imo, to play Franco. He is not ready for the bigs yet. I doubt any team would take Howard unless they Phils agreed to 75 or 80% of his salary. I don’t see that. Rather, I think they pray for a resurgence.

Agree on Ruf. There is a reason why he is still in the minors. Asche in LF. Not if he has no experience out there. We need to have some of, somewhere, who can catch a ball. I am not sold on Asche as an everyday big league player either.

• Robotski

July 2, 2013 at 9:04 pm

Praying is not a strategy.
      What we see from Howard is what we are going to get.
      I agree…must pay huge % of Howard’s salary.
      He’s blocking other moves.
      Re: Franco about time one of these young kids gets up to the big club before 24-25. Too much time wasted in a minor league system that does not develop their talent.
      Alternative with Asche, include him in a deal for a middle reliever.

10. wbramh

July 2, 2013 at 9:15 pm

When bad product used to cause revenue to drop a team looked for solutions. Bad management always tried to rely on give-away days to maintain backsides in seats thinking that people would buy the sizzle and not not notice the steak was rancid. Unfortunately for the parent company’s accountants, promotions wear thin, especially once a team becomes a perennial loser.

These days lucrative TV deals can sustain a poor team in its rut longer than ever. I’ve long wondered whether the Flyers and Eagles owners have had that over-riding a drive to win championships beyond ego-scratching reasons since they sell out their stadiums and maintain lucrative broadcast and merchandise deals no matter the on-field/ice performance of their respective teams.

I hope that isn’t management’s plan for the Phillies now that their entering into their most lucrative broadcast deal ever with partner Comcast and have maintained sellout or near-sellout crowds despite the poor quality of the product.

Eventually, short-changing the customer bites you in the ass. The Yankees have seen attendance drop by over 6% from last year and that’s mostly a result of injuries to starters rather than from assembling an inferior roster. Imagine what the drop-off would look like if the Yankees intended starters were deliberately mediocre AA prospects. Aside from sending Steinbrenner Senior spinning in his grave, it would send 30% of the Yankees’ fan base over to Flushing. The quality of play may be no better but at least the starting ticket price for a Mets game is half that of a Yankees game.

11. Ken Bland

July 3, 2013 at 2:08 pm

You got a couple things in there I’m sloooow paced at which to agree.

On the Phils, you said, “have maintained sellout or near-sellout crowds despite the poor quality of the product.”

Ain’t nobody too happy with the way things have gone this year, and I’m not defending it, but let’s not call a spade a diamond. Between The Banks supposedly still being an entertaining place to spend a summer night, and the Phils actually being a very average club as opposed to putting out a very poor quality of product, there’s still no need to guess today or tomorrow io we’re trying to nail the exact date of the valid point of short changing the customer coming back to bite ya. My point is this is NOT a poor product by industry standards. Paying customers probably don’t date back to the multitude of eras that it really was a poor product.
    Man, was it poor. Poor minus.

The Bucs topped a mil for the year last night. Averaging about 25K per, pretty neck and neck with last year’s false alarm en route to completion of still anudder failed decade. I’d guess 2 more seasons like the last 2 now. and the Phils might hit that level It would take a while yet, but believe me, I haven’t ruled out another Cleveland reprise after The Tribe sold out forever and the bottom really seriously dropped out at the gate after they went straight down. But I think droppage of major proportions at the gate is more like a 5 bad years in a row effect. So many guesses.

On The Empire…look, you put an exciting, healthy, star studded roster, and it’s business as usual. So those points carry validity. And yeah, this would be a softer factor, but I think there’s a factor you overlooked in citing the other factors as the main reason for attendance droppage. I don’t say this with complete certainty, but I think the pricing at this new stadium has hurt them quite a bit. Secondary reason? Maybe. Underrated reason? Wouldn’t surprise me.