Injury feed

Howard to DL, Ruf Recalled

Not long before Saturday evening’s contest against the Atlanta Braves, the Phillies announced that ailing first baseman Ryan Howard would be placed on the disabled list, as he has been battling left knee issues for several weeks.

The lefty hitting slugger was scratched from Saturday night’s lineup following batting practice that afternoon.  In 80 games this year, Howard has a .266 batting average along with 11 home runs and 43 RBI.

To occupy the void on the roster, the Phillies announced the return of first baseman/outfielder Darin Ruf, who made his major league debut with the Phils last September, hitting .333 with three home runs and 10 RBI in a dozen game with the big club.

This season, the Creighton University product who turns 27-years-old later this month, has posted a .266 average with seven homers and 46 RBI in 82 games with the Triple-A Lehigh Valley IronPigs.

Ruf was the Phillies’ Paul Owens Award winner last year.  It’s an honored bestowed upon the top offensive and pitching talents in the organization’s minor league system.  With Double-A Reading last year, Ruf set a team record 38 home runs and was named the Eastern League Most Valuable Player.

1. bacardipr

July 6, 2013 at 7:19 pm

Crazy we knew it would eventually come.

2. Hogey's Role

July 6, 2013 at 7:37 pm

Giddy up… let’s go ruf

3. Skip W

July 6, 2013 at 9:02 pm

Ruben ….please trade Michael Young, he doesn’t have a clue at third base tonight. Fell down twice, an error, another play he was looking for the ball or to heaven.

• G7

July 6, 2013 at 10:29 pm

Agreed..he has terrible reaction to balls, besides not being in a ready position..may not have been giving an error, but a major league 3rd baseman should make 2 of those plays..Polanco would have handled them easily..

4. quadratic

July 6, 2013 at 9:35 pm

Neither of the balls which were hit past Michael Young was scored as an error, they were both properly scored as basehits. I doubt that the Braves’ Chris Johnson or any except a few top 3B’s would have recorded an out on either play. I have no problem trading him, but he has a full no-trade clause and I’m not convinced that any team wants to pick up his salary.

5. Bart Shart

July 7, 2013 at 12:07 am

Personally, I do not see Darren Ruf as being an improvement over Ryan Howard, and his skimpy numbers at Lehigh Valley point this out. Despite his prowess with a bat, Michael Young deserves to play on a contender. Trade him while we can get something for him.

This knee injury may mark the end to Ryan Howard’s career. I wish him well during this critical period and hope he recovers.

• schmenkman

July 7, 2013 at 12:35 am

Bart, you’re right — of course Ruf is not an improvement over Howard.

Ruf in AAA: .749 OPS
      Howard in MLB: .784 OPS

Ruf since June 1st: .779 OPS
      Howard since May 21st: .861 OPS

But Ruf should be useful against lefites, i.e. in situations where Howard was mostly sitting out anyway.

6. wiskit

July 7, 2013 at 12:24 am

Hi everybody !
    This is my firstly postal service here, so I’d like to invite you to website, which decribes a particular of the most wonderful places in Lodz.

Fancy it!

• Jerry

July 7, 2013 at 2:22 am

There have been many players may not have the numbers in AAA then come to MLB team & perform much better. Lets give the guy a chance never know.get rid of M.Young & D Young..

7. Scooter

July 7, 2013 at 2:35 am

You guys, you guys, you guys. Breaking news: the general manger, this Mr. Jr. guy, says that Ryan Howard isn’t playing up to his contract and that the organization isn’t happy with his performance. Geegolly willikers, I wonder if Mr. Jr. will be able to track down the idiot personnel guy who signed Howard to that ridiculous contract and FIRE HIM IMMEDIATELY. Good hunting, sir! Let us know if you find him!

8. Andrew from Waldorf

July 7, 2013 at 4:33 am

Thus ends Ryan Howards occupancy on my fantasy team.

I tried with him.

The burden will be on you now.

9. Ken Bland

July 7, 2013 at 8:20 am

The recall of one Darin Ruf, he of better hitting of late conjures up memories of a winter gone by when take your pick of longshots or hallucinators voluntarily played can you top this going through about a 3 week period of trying to guess how many shots and ribs Ruf would bang. Twenty wasn’t enough. The numbers climbed faster than Zaeger and Evans quick trip starting in the year 2525.

The Hallucinator of The Winter went so far as to put to pen that Ruf would smack 38 homers (so say memory, at least) and win NL ROY. Pressed to name 1 other candidate, for credibility’s sakeit grew eerily and better silent around here, but that’s besides the point. The point is that those heartfelt purrdictions of Ruf ROYing it up got off to a shall we say slow, minor league start. Ruf’s recall does conjure up memories of Stretch McCovey’s outstanding rookie year of 1959 when it was front of the mind remembered that HE didn’t play much, but copped the prize.

Turns out The Other Willie was recalled for a debut V The Phils on July 30. He debuted with an 8 game hitting streak (not in 1 game) including a fo fo fo first game against that wonderful ’59 Phillie edition. Finishing 354 batting points over his first at bat, Willie even finished as high as 23rd in the MVP voting when only 200 National Leaguers exsisted.

So can McCovey’s late feat be duplicated? Can the Miracle Braves feat be dupicated?

I wonder why I can’t dind Slim when I need him for a closing line.

• Robotski

July 7, 2013 at 12:14 pm

Latest Phillies Math

2013 Darin Ruf = 1971 Roger Freed

• c. schreiber

July 7, 2013 at 4:19 pm

Ken,I was 15 yrs old when I attended McCovey’s first game in Shibe Park (may have been called Connie Mack then) and if I remember correctly Roberts was the pitcher and of the 4 for 4 hitting line of Willie’s, two of them were triples and one of them was a rope that never got higher than the top of the fence and hit the 447ft sign in dead center right between the two fours. I remember my dad telling me “this kid’s going to be something”. How correct he was.

• Ken Bland

July 7, 2013 at 6:41 pm

That’s great that you were at the park that night and old enough to remember it. Willie getting the call on 7/30 is amazing that he achieved what he did, and for a non pennant winner, no less. You’d think it’d be thoroughly remembered when Shibe became Connie. Frankly, it’s a little embarrasssing NOT to know it, but Connie (I think) managed through the 50 season, and the A’s split in ’54, so I’m sure (for what it’s worth) that between ’54 and ’59, and closer to ’54 that Connie Mack Stadium was the name.

Per Ruf and Roger Freed, that’s pretty reasonable from my memory skills. But pretty reasonable isn’t siamese identical. I believe Freed carried a can’t miss tag, while Ruf is short of that, more of a can he at least take advantage of his power. Seems I recall Roger as having a great arm. I’m probably on the right track if not accurate, but it’s a fun comp.

• c. schreiber

July 7, 2013 at 8:17 pm

I’m pretty sure it was a saturday or sunday day game. Remember them Ken.

• Ken Bland

July 7, 2013 at 11:36 pm

Actualluy, just from impressions, as opposed to actual data, and I don’t know that I’d care anyway, but it sure feels like the amount of Saturday games back then wasn’t like ridiculously higher than now. But I don’t date back quite as far as you. First year I followed the club, and it was scarcely was ’61, which had memories that last a lifetime. Now the 50’s, maybe was a little more day driven.

Sunday night’s a nice novelty, I guess. Kinda like the week being over and collecting thoughts, but it’s a nice gimmick.

Not into all night WS, but I’ll take the tradeoff of so much daytime baseball in the first round. More than enough to remind of when the game (not to mention life) was simpler.

10. Brooks

July 7, 2013 at 4:29 pm

Nix stinx

11. Mike in NJ

July 8, 2013 at 10:25 am

It’s about time they put him on the DL. They should have done it a month ago. I just hope whatever injury he has wasn’t made worse by him playing.

I really question the competency of this medical staff sometimes.