2013 Game Recaps

Phillies best first place Pirates with 3-1 win

The Phillies ended the Pirates nine game winning streak on Tuesday with a 3-1 win over the Bucs in the opener of their three game series.

A three run sixth and a strong combined effort from the starting pitching and relief helped the Phils to the win after a rough weekend in Los Angeles.

Jonathan Pettibone has been a revelation for the Phils.  How long can it continue? (AP Photo).

Jonathan Pettibone allowed just one run in 5 1/3 innings against Pittsburgh on Tuesday. (AP Photo)

Another stellar outing for Pettibone

The young right-hander dazzled again on Tuesday, this time against the top team in baseball. Pettibone lasted 5 2/3 innings, and held Pittsburgh scoreless until a solo home run from Garrett Jones put the Pirates on the board. He allowed just the one run on three hits and struck out six in the game. Three walks contributed to a higher pitch count, which is why he was ousted in the sixth, but nonetheless he still dominated Pirates hitters.

This is Pettibone’s third straight outing of three or fewer runs, and his tenth such start of 14 this year. His ERA is once again under four, sitting at 3.99 after today’s start.

Bullpen comes through

It got dicey at times, but the bullpen was able to hold the 3-1 lead, as six pitchers combined for 3 1/3 scoreless innings. Jake Diekman, Justin De Fratus, Antonio Bastardo, and J.C. Ramirez all tossed a third of an inning, while Phillippe Aumont and Jonathan Papelbon both threw a full scoreless inning apiece.

Papelbon earned his 16th save, while all other relievers earned holds in the game.

Howard breaks slump, Delmon stays hot on road trip

Ryan Howard had been struggling badly on the road trip, with no hits in his last 22 trips to the plate. He broke out of the slump with a clutch RBI single in the sixth to give the Phillies a 1-0 lead.

Delmon Young also drove in a run with an RBI double in the Phillies’ three-run sixth. Young’s road trip has been the complete opposite of Howard’s. In seven games now on the trip for Young, he has 11 hits in 25 at bats (.440) with three doubles, a homer and nine runs batted in.

Up Next…

The Phillies will look to win the series against the Pirates as early as tomorrow. They will send lefty John Lannan to the hill, owner of a 1-2 record and 4.82 ERA. He will be opposed by fellow lefty Jeff Locke, whose start was pushed back one day. He is 7-1 with 2.06 ERA this season. First pitch is at 7:05 p.m.

1. "Big Ed" Delahanty

July 2, 2013 at 11:29 pm

Solid effort by the Phillies. Although “one win does not a win streak make”, it might be, hopefully, a start of something. Plus, the bullpen didn’t implode tonight – always a plus.

2. Chuck A.

July 3, 2013 at 7:11 am

I usually don’t think of a starting pitching going just 5 and 2/3 innings as having a “stellar” outing….

• Brooks

July 3, 2013 at 8:15 am

Definitely a stretch

3. Chuck A.

July 3, 2013 at 8:47 am

I would put this W in the luck column. I wouldn’t say it was a game that they SHOULDN’T have won. But they very easily COULD have lost it. Pettibone wasn’t stellar, in my opinion, but he pitched well enough at times to keep the team in it. And the bullpen came through but how many times can Charlie run 5 or 6 guys out there over the course of 2 innings to get the job done?? They made some mistakes in the field as well and got lucky that it didn’t cost them.

• George

July 3, 2013 at 10:26 am

Charlie Manuel didn’t particularly like the way the team played, either, according to what I’ve read.

One other thing I’ve noticed: when he doesn’t play matchups with his BP, a lot of people complain, but when he does play the matchups, a lot of people complain, too, because he’s using pitchers who are inconsistent or who have had a few recent bad outings. Even when his moves work, they’re all wrong in fans’ eyes.

• Chuck A.

July 3, 2013 at 10:45 am

I agree that people will complain whether he plays matchups or he doesn’t. I’m not complaining that he did last night but at some point someone is gonna have to assume and embrace that 8th inning role in particular. I’m actually glad that Charlie is doing more mixing and matching, resting Ryan Howard against certain lefties, stuff like that.

• George

July 3, 2013 at 1:13 pm

Chuck, I wasn’t really thinking about you when I posted my “complaint” comment. I was thinking about a comment on the gameday thread where someone thought Papelbon should have been used in the eighth instead of DeFratus. He didn’t even seem to care that DeFratus got the job done and helped keep Papelbon from throwing too many pitches.

While it would be nice if someone could step up and take that eighth inning role, I really can’t gripe about the ‘pen’s performance last night or a couple of nights back. I”d be happy if this collection of misfits manages to get outs, no matter what situation they’re in. If it takes matchups instead of one set guy, so be it, so long as it works.

4. Brooks

July 3, 2013 at 8:17 am

It has been easier this year to read the script ahead of the game and know the outcome –
    Phils win the first game of the series and lose the next 2. One game they get plastered, the other closer but a loss is a loss.

5. Hogey's Role

July 3, 2013 at 9:36 am

With the way the season has gone so far, luck or not, I’ll take it…

July 3, 2013 at 12:11 pm

I like Pettibone, I really do. He’s young and learning, but he has some tools. Kind of reminds me a little of the way Kendrick started his career. And “today’s Kendrick” may be his ceiling, but that’s not too bad. You never know I guess, but I think he can be a decent 3 to 5 in a rotation pitcher.

Delmon Young made up for his awful drop with a couple of nice plays, a catch and a throw. He’s just not a guy that will cover much ground. But we should be used to that around here with corner OF’s in recent history not named Werth.

And speaking of that-
    Can you imagine that Raul Ibanez would be our second leading home run hitter right now if he were here? I’m not sure what woke him up, but he only had 20 for the whole year the last time he wore a Phils uniform. He’s reached that mark this year in 327 less PA’s, playing in Safeco, not known as a great long-ball park.

• schmenkman

July 3, 2013 at 12:27 pm

Here are all the players in MLB history who have hit 30 home runs at age 41+:

(blank)

Yep, Raul would be the first.

He also has an OPS+ of 138. Here are all the players in MLB history who have hit better at age 41+:

Barry Bonds
      Ted Williams

• Lefty

July 3, 2013 at 1:42 pm

If, (and it’s a big if) he stays healthy, there will soon be one name on that list. And anything is possible I guess, but I just can’t imagine him doing PED’s like Bonds, I would be very surprised. I’ve been fooled before, but I just can’t see it.

7. pai you guo slim capsule

November 15, 2013 at 8:27 pm

What exactly is your drinking water and fiber consumption likeAlso have you tried adding Miralax every day The persistent constipation is just not very good for your personal wellness, and receiving that set appropriate might help with your pai you guo slim capsule http://www.paiyouweightloss.com/ efforts.