Phils Hold On to Beat Braves, 5-4 – Phillies Nation
2013 Game Recaps

Phils Hold On to Beat Braves, 5-4

PHOTO: AP

PHOTO: AP

Cliff Lee, who had thrown six innings of shutout baseball, exited Friday after giving up a three run home run that put the Braves within two runs. They would get one more in the inning but the Phillies held on to beat the Braves 5-4. J.C. Ramirez cleaned up the mess that Lee made in the seventh.

The offense was able to put up five runs on Braves starter Paul Maholm, and Ryan Howard–yes that Ryan Howard–hit the first home run by a lefty off of Maholm this year. He has also been holding lefties to a .188 average prior to tonight’s game.

BIG NIGHT FOR QUINTERO

Humberto Quintero had a great night at the plate, going 2-4 with 3 RBI. He hit a home run that required a replay review in the 2nd inning. The ball bounced back into play like it hit the wall, but it was ruled it a home run.

Replay showed that it actually hit a fan in the first row trying to catch it. After review, it was determined that fans in the first row did not interfere with a ball in play and the home run call was upheld.

Quintero added an RBI double in the sixth that scored Delmon Young, who should not have been sent home by Ryne Sandberg. Sandberg has gotten some criticism this year for getting runners thrown out, and this was another that he should’ve stopped at third. The throw was a little off-line, and catcher Brian McCann dropped the ball, so Sandberg didn’t cost the Phillies a run.

HEATED THIRD INNING

Leading off the top of the third inning, Braves catcher Gerald Laird struck out looking on a pitch that was clearly high. He immediately went back to home plate umpire Angel Hernandez to argue. Some expletives were said, and as he was walking away (still shouting expletives) Hernandez ejected him.

Laird sprinted and got into Hernandez’s face, screaming at him about fertilizer. He made contact with Hernandez, so he will be facing a fine. Freddie Freeman was also ejected trying to defend Laird.

Hernandez has a terrible, terrible reputation around MLB, so I really can’t blame Laird for getting so angry. Because if that happened to the Phils, we’d all be just as mad. However, it helped the Phillies, so I guess I can’t complain too much.

UP NEXT

The Phils will send Kyle Kendrick to the mound tomorrow, and the Braves will send tonight’s scheduled starter Tim Hudson, who had his start pushed back, to the mound. Any suspension that Gerald Laird may face won’t be in effect by tomorrow. Chase Utley looked to be in pain after fouling a ball off his foot, so he may get a day off. The game starts at 7:15 EST.

1. DavidE

July 5, 2013 at 10:30 pm

Disagree with your opinion on sending Delmon Young home. The reason that Young was sent home was that Cliff Lee was on deck, there were 2 outs and the Phillies were not going to pinch hit for Cliff Lee. While there certainly are times Sandberg could be faulted for his coaching at third base this year, this was not one of them. What are the team’s chances of scoring the run if Delmon Young stays at third base?

• schmenkman

July 5, 2013 at 11:03 pm

Agree on sending Young, in fact I have had very little problem with Sandberg’s sending of runners. There are many times where even if it ends up being an out, it’s a good gamble.

If there are two outs, I don’t mind taking a chance and forcing them to make the play (pickup, transfer, throw, catch, tag). Even major leaguers don’t always get all 5 right on every play. The last thing I want is to end the inning with a runner stranded on 3rd when the team really needs a run.

July 5, 2013 at 10:57 pm

This is what I have been talking about, the head to head opportunities, when it feels like a playoff game. These are the ones they gotta get. It hurts sometimes when they lose or don’t play up to expectations, but then there are games like tonight. I live for games like this.

They have now beaten the first place team in of 3 of the last 4 games. They can fall right back again tomorrow or gain even more ground. One way or the other I wouldn’t miss it for the world. 15 games left with Atlanta.

The bullpen was outstanding tonight, I like JC Ramirez, AB was good and Pap got help from JMJ on a great play, but he took care of the rest. Great baseball game.

3. bacardipr

July 5, 2013 at 11:04 pm

Clifford almost blew it. Must of been tough for Cholly to pull him. It was right thing to do especially going with the hot hand.

4. Double Trouble Del

July 5, 2013 at 11:09 pm

I always enjoy the wins especially against the Braves. I have an almost irrational dislike of that team back to the Bob Horner days (I always like Murphy though). What I like to see most of all is our tradable chips keeping their deadline value high. Call me a cynic but I still haven’t seen anything in this team that would suggest a sustained run of good baseball.

• schmenkman

July 5, 2013 at 11:30 pm

I get your reservations DTD, but then there is this — NL East records for the 2 1/2 months since April 19th:

Phillies 36-35
      Braves 36-35
      Nationals 35-36
      Marlines 29-40
      Mets 29-40

• David P

July 5, 2013 at 11:48 pm

Unfortunately for the phillies there was baseball before April 19, and also unfortunately for them the braves were on fire before April 19. Interesting to note though.

• hk

July 6, 2013 at 8:42 am

Right, but the point is that if the Phil’s match the Braves post-April 19 numbers, they’ll still finish 7 or 8 games behind ATL. Those numbers would make a more optimistic case if the Phil’s had gained some ground over the past 71 games. Wins today and tomorrow would be a good start to having some hope that they can get back into the race.

5. Betasigmadeltashag

July 6, 2013 at 12:00 am

It was a great game and was surprised to see Charlie take Cliff out there, even if it was a batter to late. JC did let one in on the sac fly but has pitched well with the one exception in LA. And Bastardo has strung a few good outings together. Even though I would like to see more strikes.
    I know I am too much am optimist for mist of you on here. But how can you say that this team shows no signs of making a sustained run. If D and M Young can both keep hitting and Dom can maintain his steady year, Chase and Jimmy remain healthy along with Chooch. This team can sustsin a 8-12 or more game win streak

6. Brian

July 6, 2013 at 12:15 am

That’s a lot of if’s.

• G7

July 6, 2013 at 8:08 am

That is what being a fan is all about..added bonus to winning 3 of 4 against division leaders..the haters run and hide..

7. "Big Ed" Delahanty

July 6, 2013 at 8:24 am

Great win. I’m putting the cart before the horse, obviously, but I’m sensing we are gonna win game two. Of course, the last thing I had a feeling about left me dead in Niagara.

8. DavidE

July 6, 2013 at 9:33 am

Bastardo really looked good last night.

• G7

July 6, 2013 at 10:00 am

Starts with consistency..

9. The Original Chuck P

July 6, 2013 at 10:11 am

3-1 over the first four games of this 13 games in 13 days stretch. If we go 9-4 or 10-3, we will be four or five games back at the break – possibly ahead of the Nats – heading into the second half where we are historically great and the Braves are prone to collapse… Yes, I will feel pretty good if we can rifle off a decent stretch here. Howard is due to play better, same goes for Cole. I like all the arms in the pen and they will get better with experience. I think we are a starter short… But we have enough to make this thing interesting and who knows? History has showed us that the beat team rarely wins – better to be hot than good in Sept/Oct.

• Lefty

July 6, 2013 at 10:53 am

“3-1 over the first four games…..” All against first place teams.

• G7

July 6, 2013 at 4:32 pm

How true TOCP..although AFW will let us know who’s lineup was good enough to win in November..