Rollins: “I’m not going anywhere”

Jimmy Rollins made it clear to the Philadelphia media traveling with the team in Detroit: “I’m not going anywhere.” That was his response when asked if he were approached by the team with a trade to a contender.

Rollins has 5 and 10 rights, meaning five seasons with the same team, 10 in the league. Therefore, he has the ability to block all trades. Therefore, J-Roll isn’t going anywhere.

Rollins stated his quest to achieve Phillies records as his reason for staying put.

“There are still a couple things I would like to be number one on the lists of in this organization,” Rollins said, “so until those things are done, I’m not going anywhere.”

That statement could mean the end of the road for one, Chase Utley. It’s tough to imagine the Phillies keeping Utley around for several more seasons next to an aging Rollins and a rapidly-aging Ryan Howard. Assuming you resign Utley at $12 million per season, which is likely undervaluing him, that would account $48 million for three players, all in their mid-30’s. That would not be wise.

1. Double Trouble Del

July 28, 2013 at 6:02 pm

Does this mean Jimmy will accept achieving records on a non-contender?

• schmenkman

July 28, 2013 at 8:39 pm

2. jobangone

July 28, 2013 at 6:03 pm

Rollins spells the word team, Jimmy. He’s been selfish since day one.

• schmenkman

July 28, 2013 at 8:40 pm

@jobangone, I don’t understand this comment.

3. Ryne Duren

July 28, 2013 at 6:23 pm

Should’ve never signed him in the first place. I didn’t like the idea then, and I’m not crazy about him being here now. When they resigned him the decline was starting. I Know the window thing! well the glass on the window is broken. The least he can do for the organization is to wave his clause so he can help them start the rebuild. They did give him a contract nobody else would’ve given him. He sure as hell didn’t have people banging on his door for him. I wonder if the other teams saw what a lot of us knew. no hustle and selfish.

• schmenkman

July 28, 2013 at 8:45 pm

Ryne, Rollins was the best option at the time he was signed, and proved it by being one of the top shortstops in baseball last year.

“no hustle and selfish” – smh

If the Phillies are offered a top prospect, I wouldn’t be opposed to trading him. Otherwise they get a very good shortstop at a fair price.

He’s always been a better second half hitter — we’ll see if that pattern repeats again.

4. Dmagman

July 28, 2013 at 6:25 pm

What I don’t understand is, how can he not already have the Phillies record…for most pop-ups in a career? Seriously.

5. Ian

July 28, 2013 at 6:43 pm

You all say this now. Wait til we have a SS with no bat then come crying back here how much you miss Jimmy. Good for him. he has 10/5 let him decide. You know if he didnt they would have shipped his ass out. Why should he show anything but selfishness on where he wants to play if he has the right.

6. "Big Ed" Delahanty

July 28, 2013 at 8:07 pm

Dear Jimmy,
    I played 1,557 games in thirteen years with the Phillies. In that time I compiled 1,368 runs, 442 doubles, 158 triples, 87 homeruns, 1288 RBIs, 411 stolen bases, 2,214 hits, 643 BBs, 384 strike outs, and a .348 batting average.
    You played in 1,896 games (which is way more than me), have 1,223 runs, 441 doubles (you’ll pass me), 106 triples (maybe you’ll catch me), 198 homeruns (you definitely got me there), 824 RBIs ( slim chance), 415 stolen bases ( you’ll pass me), 664 BBs ( you win), 1015 strike outs (ouch), a .270 average (Meh), and 2,127 hits ( you’ll pass me). So you have a few more years left in your bones to pass me and some others. Some might look at you as selfish, I look at you and say thank God you don’t have Papelbon’s personality. Lol. Ship him back to Boston.
    Ed “one of five brothers” Delahanty

• schmenkman

July 28, 2013 at 8:49 pm

Ed, if you’re saying that you, one of the best-hitting leftfielders in history, was a better hitter than a shortstop, I would agree with you there.

• "Big Ed" Delahanty

July 28, 2013 at 9:50 pm

Hell yes! But on a serious note, I also imply he should stay. We don’t have anyone better yet, until Galvis improves his hitting with one more year in Triple A. Plus, he earned his trade rights.

• Johanna

July 29, 2013 at 6:27 am

Something Jimmy will never be able to top you at – allowing a home run while in the dog house. LOL

7. devin

July 28, 2013 at 8:27 pm

“that would account $48 million for three players, all in their mid-30′s. That would not be wise.”

That’s a stupid statement. That 48 million doesn’t hurt the Phillies. Throw that 48 million in a trash can and they still have more money left to spend than the current payroll of the As, or the Rays, or the BoSox.

• schmenkman

July 28, 2013 at 8:50 pm

Agreed, I didn’t get that either.

8. George

July 28, 2013 at 9:12 pm

10/5 rights are there for a reason: only deserving players usually spend that much time in the league, and only those who have proven themselves valuable spend that much time with one team. I’m with Ian, here. Rollins has earned the right to decide who he wishes to play for. Trading him wouldn’t help much anyway, because shortstops are always in short supply, particularly those with Rollins’ track record. He’s obviously been valuable to the Phils or he wouldn’t even be anywhere near the records he wishes to break.

9. bacardipr

July 28, 2013 at 9:13 pm

You must still be forgetting Howards, Cole, Lee and Papelbon’s contracts Devin.

July 28, 2013 at 10:44 pm

I’ll tell you, you really can’t win around here. You have one article where a guy seems to want to stay, and one where he seems to want to go, and both get crap for it. Well at least we’re an equal opportunity bunch. 🙂

• wbramh

July 29, 2013 at 5:36 am

I think it’s just a case of shell shock coming out of Detroit.

11. Andrew from Waldorf

July 29, 2013 at 12:22 am

The deal is bad. The negotiation made by Dummy Amaro Jr. was bad.

But I have to say I give the guy credit for wanting to be here and he has moved up a little in my book. I find this endearing.

Now lets move him to 8th in the line up and make sure he knows hes there the rest of his career. And even though he makes 11 million a year and worth about half that.

I will support him.

#1 Rollins fan on PN

12. Bob D

July 29, 2013 at 12:44 am

Good that JRoll wants to stay in Philly despite their struggles. I see Utley staying despite whatever happens with JRoll. However JRoll is not a top of order hitter and that is what is wrong with him. at #7 or 8 he is better suited.

He also maybe stating that so he can get a buy out if traded… $$$$

13. Mike in NJ

July 29, 2013 at 3:05 pm

IIRC no one offered Jimmy more than 2 years at 9M per. Ruin Tomorrow, JR gave him 3 @11M per, with a vesting option for a 4th…WHY?!? Now we’re stuck with this rapidly declining offense for two more years. Jimmy won’t even waive his no trade, because he’d rather set some team records than go somewhere else and maybe win another title.

• schmenkman

July 29, 2013 at 3:26 pm

Mike, do you have a link on what offers Rollins got? For example, Milwaukee made a “sincere offer” according to ESPN, but we don’t know what that means.

Whatever those were though, in the end $11m a year is still a bargain for Rollins. He was worth far more than that last year when he was arguably the second best shortstop in baseball, and if he improves at all in the second half (like he always has), he will more than earn it again this year.

“Jimmy won’t even waive his no trade” — this is phrase as if, of course, he should just give away the 5/10 rights that he’s earned. He in the world would he? He has built a very good career here (borderline Hall of Fame, according to many), he has roots in the community, he is still quite popular (among the silent majority), and the FO is indicating it intends to field a contender. Why would he want to leave all that and uproot his family?

• schmenkman

July 29, 2013 at 3:28 pm

*this is phrased as if…
        *Why in the world would he…
        (there may be more)

14. john

July 29, 2013 at 6:45 pm

the guy won an mvp, and he deserved it ! he earned his rights 5/10 ! but still, i’m not a fan of jimmy pop up. always thought he was a bad influence at times. currently he’s blocking galvis, i like the kid, and want to see him play. rollins really was a great defensive shortstop , he’s not any more, he’s just pretty good. galvis actually should be up ,not the 2 bozos they have now.
    i want to see the youth movement , keeping him here blocks that. honestly, i’d bench him and play galvis, see if he changed his mind,lol. if only,lol.