Charlie Manuel Reportedly Out, Press Conference at 2:30 – Phillies Nation
News

Charlie Manuel Reportedly Out, Press Conference at 2:30

UPDATE: It is official. Charlie Manuel is no longer manager of the Phillies, and Ryne Sandberg has been named interim manager. GM Ruben Amaro Jr. informed Manuel that he will not renew his contract at the end of the season.

The Phillies called a surprise press conference for today at 2:30 PM, and were very tight-lipped about the details. Jim Salisbury then broke the news via his source that Charlie Manuel will no longer be manager of the Phillies. Logical speculation would say that Ryne Sandberg will take over Manuel’s duties as manager, but nothing is official.

JIMBO

The press conference will be shown on CSN at 2:30 PM and live streamed below. The Phillies official website will also carry the press conference.

Charlie coached the team to a 780-636 record in Philadelphia, including five NL East titles, two NL titles, and one World Series Championship. It took Phillies fans a little while to warm up to him, but once he began winning, they couldn’t get enough of him. Whether or not you believe this is the correct baseball move is one thing–but you have to be feeling a little bit of sadness to see him go.

The good news, however, is that the “scapegoat”, so to speak, will be scapegoated. Therefore, GM Ruben Amaro Jr. will have no one to take the fall for his failures (NOTE: not everything he’s done has been a failure) but himself. Which could lead to an eventual GM change, or even something as simple as improvised team management by Amaro. Either way, I think this is a positive for the Phillies as a ball club.

1. Ken Bland

August 16, 2013 at 2:00 pm

I’ll see your twitter sources and raise them to up at the bar where sources are suggesting the presser is to announce an extension for RAJ, Jr.

And you thought afternoon liquor sales were ineffective.

2. Jonathan Nisula

August 16, 2013 at 2:02 pm

Ha, these aren’t *my* source, it’s Salisbury’s. Others have confirmed it as well. I’d riot if it were an extension for RAJ

• Ken Bland

August 16, 2013 at 2:06 pm

Actually, not that twitter counts as breakage, but Gelb had uit first on twitter. But Jim’s on top of stuff (seems so, anyway), so he probably had it somewhere besides twitter.

Aaron Gleeman (?) is tracking the story for Hardball Talk, and ventured into some opinion amidst his tracking it with these words.

“It’d be a shame if Manuel is taking the fall for the Phillies’ decline, because he’s a well-liked “and extremely successful manager who certainly can’t be blamed for most of the front office decision-making that led to the deterioration of the roster”

Hardly a unique thought, but I’ll add in my amen to that assessment.

• Jonathan Nisula

August 16, 2013 at 2:18 pm

I have Gelb posting the news about the conference first (1:01 PM to Salisbury’s 1:16 PM), but Salisbury had the news first (1:34 PM to Gelb’s 1:40 PM). Not a big deal tho lol. IT won’t be official until 2:30

3. Ken Bland

August 16, 2013 at 2:14 pm

With Sandberg assumedly leaving the coaching box, hopefully the Mart that’s known as Minnie will take over as the third base coach. Get back in the wild card hunt that way.

4. Ken Bland

August 16, 2013 at 2:19 pm

In case this is helpful to any out of towners interested in following the presser, Phillies.com will carry live coverage of this announcement.

• Jonathan Nisula

August 16, 2013 at 2:26 pm

Thanks, Ken. I’ll update the post.

5. Mazinman

August 16, 2013 at 2:22 pm

Kinda torn on this. My heart is sad to see our best manager ever go. My head, however, sees the logic of seeing what Ryno can do before giving him the job. Either way, it is sad that it came down to this. Hope they give Charlie a proper send off.

6. Ken Bland

August 16, 2013 at 2:22 pm

I’m interested to check out Ruben’s facial expression and body language. Whether he comes close to conveying the remorse he should is probably optimistic to hope for, and doesn’t amatter terribly much, I guess, but he damned well better not look smug and matter of fact.

7. JohnMatrix

August 16, 2013 at 2:23 pm

congrats ruben. you got charlie fired.

8. Mike in NJ

August 16, 2013 at 2:25 pm

While I think the majority of the blame for the last two years falls squarely on Ruin Tomorrow JR, I think the way the team has played since the All-Star break still makes this the right move. They’re playing stupid baseball, not hustling, and just generally look like they’ve quit, and Cholly’s strength is supposed to be managing 25 personalities and getting them to play hard, because Lord knows baseball strategy wasn’t is strong suit.

The best part of this move is that the spotlight is 100% on the terrbile job Ruin has done assembling this team. Assuming Sandberg isn’t the second coming of Earl Weaver and gets them playing .600+ ball the rest of the way, even .300 Monty is going to have to start looking at the job Ruin has done and consider other options at some point.

• Ken Bland

August 16, 2013 at 2:30 pm

Players quitting is usually hard to judge. I didn’t get that impression, but honestly, I’d be a little slow to pick that up.

I did get the impression during the time you mentioned that they stink. That one didn’t slip by me.

9. Scooter

August 16, 2013 at 2:32 pm

Breaks my damn heart, but it makes good sense to let Ryan try his hand at it, I guess. It does make me fist-shakingly angry that that dipshit GM is still sitting in his cushy office while Cholly is run out of town.

Thanks, Cholly. It was beautiful. Love, Philadelphia
    (PS. Ruben, we hate your guts.)

10. Hogey's Role

August 16, 2013 at 2:36 pm

This move should have been made before the all star break… it’s the right move to make I understand doing it now to see what Sandburg can do from here on out… sorry it had to end this way for Charlie, one thing this team needs though is a shake up, however, it’s to late for that, besides I’d rather lose a bunch from here on out and secure a top ten pick in the draft….

11. Carlos Danger

August 16, 2013 at 2:36 pm

Wow, what a lame move by Amaro.

12. Jonathan Nisula

August 16, 2013 at 2:41 pm

“I did not resign, I did not quit. I never quit nothin’.” – Charlie Manuel

13. Carlos Danger

August 16, 2013 at 2:49 pm

This move is just an attempt to deflect the blame from Amaro for this train wreck. It accomplishes nothing. Even if RAJ wanted a change for 2014, Manuel deserved to be able to finish the season. Five straight division titles, two straight NL pennants, one WFC, and the most managerial wins in franchise history. Amaro fires him on a Friday afternoon when nobody’s even paying attention anymore? Wow.

14. Ken Bland

August 16, 2013 at 3:03 pm

What a job by Charlie. Maybe the best exit since Maddux retired, said, “I just stopped by to say good-bye and thanks,” and shed no tears in the process.

Ruben told us within recent times, “I don’t do 5 year plans.” Today, he said he’s looking for someone who can do the job for 4=5=6 years. I understand he’s ad libbing, but he really has no obvious plan, and from deep within, he felt an urge to find a scapegoat.

He said for the 26,645th time he feels he has talent on this club. Charlie,clearly, diplomatically, has expressed a differing view. It’s not hard to draw sides between these 2.

15. Brian

August 16, 2013 at 3:09 pm

It was sickening to watch Reuben pile the blame for the last two seasons on Charlie. I’m not surprised that he was unable to answer the questions posed to him about his responsibility for the state of the current roster.

Reuben needs to go.

Charlie for GM.

16. Ken Bland

August 16, 2013 at 3:43 pm

Ryno has always come across as straightforward, dating back to playing days. He spoke decisively on his HOF induction day about steroid users. So I figure if he says there’s been “lackadaisical play” there’s truth in it.

But I do wonder what the results will be of addressing that. It’s a little difficult to project the player’s interest in this change, even with modern day athlete standards seemingly a smaller factor that has minimized character flaws. I wonder if there won’t be an element of who the hell is this guy thinking I’m not busting it that might need to be cleared up.

Another immediate impression is the lasting feeling from Charlie’s pc was the reaction that Ruben remains adamant this is a talented team, and Charlie has dropped quotes along the way that he didn’t think so. If Charlie couldn’t convince him of that ,why should we believe Ryno will. I have doubts this goes to a contract beyond interim, but I’m simply leaning that way.

17. yahtzee26

August 16, 2013 at 3:44 pm

Couldn’t even give the guy a weekend series curtain call? Pfff

18. Andrew from Waldorf

August 16, 2013 at 4:15 pm

Needed to happen.

But the real problem is sitting in the GM position.
    This tells me though that this is his last year.

At least I can hope.

Charlie was the perfect manager for this team when it was the best.

Hopefully the new manager will not be so beholden to the veterans.

As I posted in the wish Charlie well thread.

The guy deserves a statue and on the wall of fame. Sooner rather than later.
    As he is the old man.

I miss him already. How he handled himself and talked.

My first criticism of Sandberg is hitting Rollins first tonight!
    Just kidding.

Sandberg is in that clubhouse and knows better than me.
    He will get the benefit of this year without any critisim from me.

Will be interesting to see if they have a turn around.

It aint easy facing Grienke and Kershaw for his first 2 games.

God bless Charlie.

The best manager in team history.

19. JohnMatrix

August 16, 2013 at 4:22 pm

Ruben thought delmon young was talented, so that tells your right there his baseball instincts. he will never live that one down.

20. Ryne Duren

August 16, 2013 at 4:49 pm

OK Rube you needed to do that. Now if you had got Charlie some players that could play, hit and pitch you wouldn’t have had to do that. I think the team needed the change but take it a step further and resign now. He wasn’t the best manager as a field tactician but given the horses he didn’t need to be. And that my man was on you Rube.

• Ryne Duren

August 16, 2013 at 4:50 pm

Oh yea thanks Charlie and God bless.

21. Adam

August 16, 2013 at 4:50 pm

Damn shame that Cholly had to be the scapegoat for Ruben’s shortcomings as a GM. Not to say that the Phils didn’t need a change, and Manuel really needs to move to a different team to have any more success before he retires, but his failures came because he was given a terrible team to work with.

22. R.D.

August 16, 2013 at 9:37 pm

Forget CSN, is it true that 3/6/10, who were in network mode with new shows, interrupted normal programming to cover this? Since when is this worth blowing off daytime soaps or talk shows? All of these stations have live news at 5 or in one case, 4 o’clock! They ain’t rioting in the streets just ‘cuz Charlie got canned… he ain’t the blinking mayor!

• Lefty

August 16, 2013 at 10:07 pm

Now I’ve seen it all. A guy complaining about his soap operas being interrupted due to Charlie Manuel’s firing – on a baseball blog?

• Double Trouble Del

August 16, 2013 at 10:13 pm

??????????????????????????????????Huh????????????????????????????

• wbramh

August 16, 2013 at 11:07 pm

R.D.: Sorry you missed a few seconds of your soaps.
      I hope the link below can help you catch up with anything you may have missed:

As for Charlie not being the “blinking mayor,” you’re absolutely right.
      Charlie is beloved – the mayor isn’t.