Gameday: Phillies (50-57) vs Giants (47-59) – Phillies Nation
2013 Gameday

Gameday: Phillies (50-57) vs Giants (47-59)

Philadelphia Phillies (50-57) vs San Francisco Giants (47-59)giants

Cole Hamels (4-13, 4.09) vs Matt Cain (6-6, 4.79 ERA)

Time: 7:05 Citizens Bank Park

TV: Comcast SportsNet

Weather: 79, storms possible

Media: Twitter and Facebook

The Phillies still have a chance to win their three game series with the Giants on Thursday in a rubber match that features two very good but underperforming pitchers.

Left hander Cole Hamels will take the baseball for the Phillies, looking for his fifth win of the season. Hamels was the tough luck loser his last time out against the Tigers, where he allowed just two runs in seven innings of work but got only one run from the offense in support. Hamels’ last start against San Francisco was last season, where interestingly enough, he squared off against Matt Cain and the two homered off each other. Hamels allowed five runs in 7 2/3 innings in that game, and overall in his career is 5-3 with a 4.14 ERA against San Francisco.

Cain comes into the game for the Giants coming off one of his best starts of the season, in which he allowed just a run and struck out seven over seven innings against the Cubs, but also lost due to poor run support. Despite the strong start last week, he has allowed 14 earned runs in 15 innings in his four starts in July.

Chase Utley has hit exceptionally well of Cain in his career, with a team leading four homers and eight RBI in 26 at bats against the Giants righty. Jimmy Rollins and Laynce Nix also have both homered off Cain, and Nix holds the highest average against him (.348) of any current Phillie with ten or more at bats.

Lineup: Rollins SS, M. Young 1B, Utley 2B, Ruf LF, Asche 3B, Mayberry CF, Nix RF, Ruiz C, Hamels P.

download (1)Gameday Beer: Sam Adams Blackberry Witbier

This strange beer brings out the classic blackberry flavor with hints of citrus. The blackberry flavor is fairly strong and very unique, especially paired with the fact that it is not brewed with traditional hops, but with coriander instead. When the team isn’t going too well maybe it is time to shake things up and try something unconventional.

1. Andrew from Waldorf

August 1, 2013 at 7:05 pm

Another must win for the Phillies.

I am in shock that Amaro could sit at a desk with a player over 35 years old and not sign him long term. Nice restraint there DAJ. I am proud of you.

I keep waiting to hear he gave Lidge a 4 year 60 million dollar deal.

The Mets have already lost.

Lets do this.

Go Phillies!!!!

2. Bart Shart

August 1, 2013 at 7:20 pm

Let’s NOT fall further in the standings. What about it??

• hk

August 1, 2013 at 9:30 pm

Actually, there is a benefit to falling further in the standings. If they finish in the bottom 10 of all MLB, they won’t lose their first round pick if they sign a free agent who gets a qualifying offer.

3. CMay

August 1, 2013 at 8:31 pm

Why the hell was Hamels trying to steal??

4. Andrew from Waldorf

August 1, 2013 at 9:05 pm

OK I normally don’t rail on the bit players.

Like Martinez. Hes not a big problem.

The problem is the core and a GM who thinks it is 2008 still.

BUT that was horrible by Martinez.

Ruben should be fired for having him on the roster.

5. Mike

August 1, 2013 at 9:09 pm

Great effort for Cole

Now, Pap, please don’t make it interesting.

August 1, 2013 at 9:12 pm

As usual we score in bunches for Cole. pfft- Really nice effort by Hamels tonight.

Now to hold on,

7. Bart Shart

August 1, 2013 at 9:15 pm

NOTICE — There are a number of new openings for membership in the Ruben Amaro, Jr. Fan Club. Now might be the perfect time to join.

8. Mike

August 1, 2013 at 9:26 pm

Way to go, dude…

9. CMay

August 1, 2013 at 9:28 pm

Hey Paps baby, let me guess, you didn’t come here for this! Good ,get the hell out of town!

• hk

August 1, 2013 at 9:34 pm

It’s comforting to know that Paps is under contract for 2 1/3 more seasons at $13M per year, isn’t it?

10. Jay

August 1, 2013 at 9:29 pm

Well papelbum thanks for the consistency! It’s comforting to know that you can blow a save in any situation!

11. "Big Ed" Delahanty

August 1, 2013 at 9:33 pm

And f$@king Pyscho boy blows another save. Maybe he shoul include himself and his $hitty velocity before he buries his teammates again publicly. And we have how many years left of declining velocity and his multiple personalities? Man, I’m pi$$ed.

• Mike

August 1, 2013 at 9:35 pm

Sadly, 2 more god damn years of this crap

12. Dave

August 1, 2013 at 9:38 pm

The only thing this team is good at is LOSING! If it’s not one frickin’ thing it’s the next. Offense, starting pitching, relief pitching, fielding, baserunning…I’m so sick of this bull*hit. I’m not wasting any more of my evenings watching this train wreck of a baseball team.

13. Dave

August 1, 2013 at 9:39 pm

I can’t believe Papeldouche blew this game for Cole after he just shot his mouth off. I’m so angry I can’t stand it.

14. Mike

August 1, 2013 at 9:54 pm

That was way beyond pathetic.

15. Mike

August 1, 2013 at 9:59 pm

I miss Brad Lidge

16. Double Trouble Del

August 1, 2013 at 10:00 pm

This is what you get when you hand out 50 million dollar like candy.

• Double Trouble Del

August 1, 2013 at 10:01 pm

That is 50 million dollar CONTRACTS like candy.

17. Brooks

August 1, 2013 at 10:02 pm

I did text 3 of my friends when I saw the score at 1-0 Phils and Hamels was already at 97 pitches in 5.2 innings.. the text read: “game lost.. its too close”

Right, way to go offense.

18. "Big Ed" Delahanty

August 1, 2013 at 10:06 pm

I cannot believe how bad we are. Giant gift us the bases loaded with no outs and we do nothing. We have to be below a .200 average with them loaded. Montgomery spoke today at the SABR conference and said they will evaluate all the pieces. Well, let’s start by losing Mini Mart, McDonald, Nix, D Young, etc. I really dislike Papeltool on all levels. I really feel bad for Cole. Guy pitched awesome, knocks in the only run to help himself, and then Mr. Cinco Ocho, blows it badly for him. And it’s not like these guys are hittin the ball like St. Louis. Sorry to vent, but I’m really steamed.

19. George

August 1, 2013 at 10:09 pm

The Papelbon signing has always been the worst of Amaros’s moves as GM. The Howard contract doesn’t even come close to losing a draft pick and paying just about half of what Howard makes to sign a closer who was already showing signs of losing his velocity, and who also makes a complete ass of himself when he appears in public.

Ehen he supposedly offered Madson a huge deal I was aghast. When he offered an even bigger one to a guy I always thought was an immature turd, I could only try to find some means to rationalize such stupidity. Last year sort of helped my false justifications, but not this year. He alienated me with his comments about miserable play by his teammates and further with his thoughts about Puig and the Allstar game, and now he’s sealed my disgust with his miserable performance tonight. I hope Hamels rips that idiot’s arm of its socket, then goes upstairs and punches Amaro in the face.

20. Carlos Danger

August 1, 2013 at 10:27 pm

The good news is that Papelbon is a big part of the rebuilding process!

I pretty much agree with David Murphy on the problem with bringing Utley back next year (which is pretty much a given at this point). It has almost nothing to do with Utley’s value compared to whoever may replace him. It has a lot to do with the moves it will preclude them from making filling other holes along with the extremely imbalanced lineup that it creates.

• schmenkman

August 1, 2013 at 11:07 pm

Am I mistaken, or is the entire argument driven by not being too left handed? There might be some validity to that, although as long as 72% of innings are thrown by righties I wonder how much balance matters.

• hk

August 2, 2013 at 7:47 am

Yes, it’s this kind of thinking that led them to give away Nate Schierholtz and sign Delmon Young. I would be happy with a line-up nearly full of LH hitters, some of whom don’t have a severe platoon split, with a few LHP-mashing bench players. If you plan on trying to contend in 2014, Utley is the best bet at 2B.

21. Dave

August 2, 2013 at 7:49 am

I’ve never bought into the lefty/righty thing. If you bring in a guy that can hit, it doesn’t matter what side of the plate he hits from. The problem with the Phillies is not that they are too left-handed or too right-handed. The problem with them is they can’t hit…period.