2013 Gameday

Gameday: Phillies (50-58) vs Braves (64-45)

Philadelphia Phillies (50-58) vs Atlanta Braves (64-45)

braves2

Ethan Martin (11-5, 4.12 ERA in AAA) vs Kris Medlen (7-10, 3.74 ERA)

Time: 7:05 Citizens Bank Park

Tv: Comcast SportsNet

Weather: 85, sunny

Media: Twitter and Facebook

The Phillies open a three game series with the first place Atlanta Braves on Friday night, still looking for their first series win since before the All-Star break. After a tough loss last night, the Phillies have now dropped 10 of their last 11 games.

Right-hander Ethan Martin will be making his major league debut tonight for the Phils, coming off several strong starts for Triple-A Lehigh Valley. In his last three starts (18 innings) he has allowed only one earned run and ten hits, and is currently on a 13 inning scoreless streak. He is coming off the best month of his season, in which he went 2-2 with a 2.79 ERA.

Opposing Martin will be Kris Medlen, who does not have much success in his career against the Phillies. This season he faced them twice, going 0-2 with a 6.97 ERA. Over his entire career he is 1-2 with a 5.92 ERA (22 earned runs on 46 hits) in 34 innings against the Phillies.

Several Phillies players have hit Medlen hard through their careers. Jimmy Rollins is 4-for-13 with three doubles, two walks and a RBI, Chase Utley is hitting .375 in eight at bats against Medlen with two RBI, and Delmon Young has a home run and four RBI off Medlen.

Lineup: Rollins SS, M. Young 1B, Utley 2B, Ruf LF, D. Young RF, Asche 3B, Mayberry CF, Kratz C, Martin P

bagpipers-scotch-ale-posterGameday Beer: Fegley’s Brewworks Bagpiper’s Scotch Ale

Brewed locally in the Lehigh Valley, perhaps this malty, smoky ale will bring former IronPig Ethan Martin some success today in his debut with the big club. This ale, which is brewed with a bit of scotch, features some caramel, roasted barley and earthy tones, and at 8.5% ABV, if the Phillies do have a bad game you might not even remember it.

1. Andrew from Waldorf

August 2, 2013 at 7:15 pm

Another must win for the Phillies.

Watching the pre game induction ceremony thing for Schilling.

which is nice because on the baseball package they don’t show a lot of pre and post game Phillies stuff.

I know that you usually need to be retired to go in. It was nice seeing all the old guys,

But I think with Charlies age and every thing and that it appears he may manage into his 90s.

Just bypass the standards and do a ceremony and put the old man in.

I know there is a lot to dislike about him. Ive been very critical myself.
    But he is going in and he rates it and would be nice to do it.

If the Phils somehow won another WS hed be a lock for cooperstown too.

The 2010 and 2011 playoff loses cost him induction.

2. Ken Bland

August 2, 2013 at 7:26 pm

That’s kinda weird that your reaction to all that was primarily about Charlie. But, that’s why they have 31 flavors at Baskin Robbins.

3. Carlos Danger

August 2, 2013 at 8:14 pm

How does this team rank with the rest of the league as far as solo HRs?

4. Andrew from Waldorf

August 2, 2013 at 9:22 pm

When I saw Maddux helping dallas green onto the podium I thought about old guys.

Just saying Id like to see it when the old man is around and mentaly there.

Is there a Pete Rose story? As to if hes in or if he will be in ?
    Phillies should do that too.

I am avoiding talking about the Phillies and this game.

I am thinking I am going to lose my Mets bet.

The Mets who traded last years cy young winner.
    Will beat me this year.

Very dissapponting.

5. Ken Bland

August 2, 2013 at 8:36 pm

Little late to do this now, but it might have been interesting to compare the number of swings and misses from the first time through the ATL’s lineup versus this current one, let alone possibly next time.

Pretty big spot here with ’em loaded, 1 out, 1 run game. See if he can get a grounder.

6. "Big Ed" Delahanty

August 2, 2013 at 8:43 pm

The youngster is pitching well and nicely got out of that bases loaded jam. I’m sure his teammates gave him some expert advice on how to do it, since the Phillies are the current experts on how to blow bases loaded chances. Lol. On a serious note, keep up the good work, young Martin.

• Alex M.

August 2, 2013 at 8:56 pm

I agree, Martin is looking very solid. If he can be this effective more often I think he could spend the rest of the season in Philly. He has the potential to be a #2 or #3 starter if he can master that control. That breaking ball is nasty to be able to go from 94 mph on the fastball to that curve that is around 76 mph. We could really use a power righty and hopefully he can continue to improve.

7. Ken Bland

August 2, 2013 at 9:08 pm

Sometimes it’s coincidence, sometimes not, but that third time through a lineup holds up so often as the be all and end all of determining a game’s outcome.

The Fish are en route to a win over Cleveland. They’ll have used Fernandez uo tonight, but they’ll only trail the Phils by 6.5 if things hold up. Even entering tonight, they were the closest they’ve been to the Phils since before the Phils went crazy hot winning like 4 series in a row before the break.

Does it matter? No, but it’d be an interesting measurement of just how much a failure this season would rank.

Plus, the last place icon, used last year only because I thought it was so temporary is still in the library, and no doubt just dying to make another appearance.

• EricL

August 3, 2013 at 10:08 am

At this point, the worse the better, I say! Go Fish!

8. Ken Bland

August 2, 2013 at 9:21 pm

If I have his at bats in the right order, maybe off one, Biddle caught A Rod looking for strike 3 on a curve to perhaps register the last professional at bat of A Rod’s career.

He’s supposed to be in Chicago for a game with the White Sox Monday, but that depends on whether the fairy godmother actually exsists.

Maybe he’s playing tomnorrow, but that’s a cool experience for Biddle.

• EricL

August 3, 2013 at 10:08 am

A-Rod’s got plenty of professional at bats left. No way a lifetime suspension stands up to an appeal, and I’d be surprised if MLB even tried. I think it’s more of a threat to try to get him to agree to a shorter penalty.

• hk

August 3, 2013 at 11:54 am

I heard somewhere that Selig can suspend him under the CBA and that if he appeals, he does so to Selig. Not sure if this is true or not….

• EricL

August 3, 2013 at 12:29 pm

It is, to an extent. But I’m extremely skeptical that MLB would pursue such a route.

That’s technically true.

There is the commissioner’s “best interests of the game” clause or whatever, under which Selig can unilaterally declare that A-Rod’s conduct is detrimental to the sport and suspend him indefinitely. Such a suspension would theoretically only be able to appealed to the commissioner

Realistically, were he to do that the MLBPA would throw a fit, because there’s already a joint drug agreement in place to handle penalties for PED-related offenses and using his unilateral power as commissioner to circumvent that portion of the CBA would be underhanded and dishonest. There’s already been rumblings that if Bud were to do that the MLBPA would consider re-opening the current CBA.

The absolute last thing Selig wants is labor strife, and by invoking that provision he’d almost be guaranteeing it after nearly 20 years of labor peace. He doesn’t want that as his legacy. I think it’s much more likely that the lifetime suspension is just a threat to try to get A-Rod to blink, and A-Rod is calling Selig’s bluff. In the end, I think the most likely outcome is that MLB comes down on their demand for him to miss the entire 2014 season, and they meet somewhere in the middle. Failing that, they’ll go to arbitration over it, and if MLB wins there, great, and if they lose there at least Selig can say that he did nearly everything in his power to punish A-Rod.

• Lefty

August 3, 2013 at 12:47 pm

I would hope there is no lifetime suspension, that contract relief to the Yankees would be markedly unfair to the rest of the teams. Seriously, they’d be doing the Yankees a huge favor.

Could we get contract relief for a couple of our burdensome players with big contracts? I get it, none of our guys are known to have tested positive, but it still seems unfair.

Ryan Howard can’t play at his old level due to injuries.
        Alex Rodriguez can’t play at his old level due to lack of PED’s

In other words, one team gets relief because a player cheated, and the other doesn’t because the player did not cheat. -Think about it.

• Chuck A.

August 3, 2013 at 3:30 pm

How about this then?? – Suspend him but instead of giving relief to the Yankees, have the Yankees pay the remainder of his contract into some sort of newly-created fund that would actually go towards helping get rid of this problem once and for all. Education, awareness, whatever. If the teams were actually invested in and partnering with MLB on this then maybe the problem ceases to exist. You think for a minute that a team won’t be more involved if they know that any missed salary due to a suspension actually has to still be paid?? They get no relief.

• Lefty

August 3, 2013 at 5:48 pm

I like the idea Chuck, Do you happen to have Bud’s cell number in your contacts? If not, I’m sure you can bully some of his security people for it, right?

I’m pretty sure there would also be some serious balking by the union if lifetime bans were not collectively bargained previously anyway. I don’t see it happening.

• Chuck A.

August 3, 2013 at 6:18 pm

I’ve been told I’m a bully so I’ll get right on it, Lefty!

9. c. schreiber

August 2, 2013 at 10:07 pm

WE’re two runs behind and Minimart is batting in the 7th. WTF His BA is .100 and McDonald is .085..together .185 well below the Mendoza line. Release these dregs and bring up any two guys from any level of the farm. Can’t be any worse. Christ sake Mimi took another third strike.

• Double Trouble Del

August 2, 2013 at 11:18 pm

The youngsters must get regular at bats not sit on the bench. i enjoy watching the veterans practicing their tradecraft!

10. psujoe

August 2, 2013 at 10:18 pm

It’s yop 10 picks are protected, right?

• Alex M.

August 2, 2013 at 11:20 pm

yes they are but we will have to continue to lose to be in the running because before tonight’s games the Phils were tied for the 11th pick. Plus take into account that the Blue Jays will get the 11th pick most likely for losing Bickford. So honestly I would love to see more of Martin and other younger prospects because the growing pains will likely give us a top ten pick.

• Double Trouble Del

August 2, 2013 at 11:23 pm

i beileve its the nine worst teams that get protected picks. I was trying to project just how poorly the Phils could finish and I came up with the 11-14th slot.

• hk

August 3, 2013 at 5:24 am

The top 10 picks are protected; however, if a team who picked in the top 9 of this past June’s draft failed to sign their pick, that team gets the pick in next June’s draft that is one after where they picked this past June. Have any of the top 9 in this past June’s draft failed to sign their pick? If not, the first 10 picks will be protected. After last night, they are in a four-way tie for 8th worst record in MLB. I don’t know what the tie-breaker would be if necessary.

• Alex M.

August 3, 2013 at 11:31 am

The Jays are the only team that did not sign their 1st rounder and they had pick #10, which means they will likely have #11 next season in addition to the pick they will get for this year. If there are multiple teams with the same record the tiebreaker is what their record was the previous season. So we would have to look back at the records for 2012. So right now we are tied with the Jays, Mariners and basically the Mets and Angels. All of whom had worst records last season other than LA, so if the season ended now we would have 12th pick because the Jays would have 11.

11. Ryne Duren

August 2, 2013 at 11:52 pm

Give them time Del. I have the faith that they’ll work there way down to where they need to be for that 8th or 9th pick. And I don’t think the kids will be much of a factor. I think the vets and our awesome bench will take care of that. Plus Charlie’s managing.
    You know I understand the double switch and it’s strategy. What I don’t understand was pinch hitting mini mart for the pitcher and pulling Dingleberry out and moving mine into center because in two innings Dingleberry’s spot was coming up with the pitcher in it! and he has to use up another lousy bench piece. Why bother? And lo and behold as I was explaining to my son a scenario in which the bottom of the ninth if the first two batters get on then the guru’s favorite little POS is batting . Or the first two batters are out and the POS is facing Kimbral. Either way Charlie’s game management is lacking. If for some reason they actually tied the game. With JimMe ejected they are most likely out of bench guys. I say that because I’m assuming that he would have pinch hit for the POS with McDonald . And that would have left us with no one to play short . Oh somebody would have but that’s the new norm. Players playing position the don’t usually play.
    This is why I have the faith Del we have come from a juggernaut winning machine to a pathetic losing, hands tied behind our backs ,with blinders on organization. Oh well! It was a good run.

12. Psujoe

August 3, 2013 at 6:34 pm

Any free agents worth signing for enough money to forfeit a pick?

• Lefty

August 3, 2013 at 7:40 pm

You decide Joe-

I’d consider McCann if Ruiz isn’t kept.

• EricL

August 3, 2013 at 10:30 pm

Personally, I’d target an OF who gets on base a lot. Choo, Beltran or Ellsbury, in that order. (Beltran is older but will be cheaper than either of the others and come on a shorter deal and is a switch hitter.)

Those guys are all OBP machines. As the Phillies stand, they’re pretty deep in the minors at the catching position, so I’m not sure I’d extend a multi-year offer to a catcher with Rupp/Joseph/Valle currently in the high minors. They don’t, however, have a lot of OF depth and this year that third OF position has been an abomination both offensively and defensively (Delmon’s .267/.310/.408 line is just sad for a guy who is such defensive liability that he only provides value with his bat)

• Double Trouble Del

August 3, 2013 at 10:32 pm

This team cannot afford another left handed hitting aging veteran on a multi-year deal. (Of course I fully understand McCann would start next season at age 30.) Now on the other hand if they were to target a right handed hitting aging veteran, 4 to 5 years with a vesting option for year 6 would be completely acceptable.

• EricL

August 3, 2013 at 11:18 pm

You know what’s a little worrisome?

The best RH OF player on the free agent market is probably going to be….HUNTER PENCE. 😮

I hate his game, and I doubt the Phils bring him back, but that’s…something.

The length is kind of why I like the Beltran option. He’s still quite productive and his contract is going to be very short and relatively cheap. Choo & Ellsbury are going to be ~4 year deals at least (although I still really love their OBPs)

• Lefty

August 4, 2013 at 12:26 am

Any chance the Cardinals extend him a QO?

• EricL

August 4, 2013 at 1:55 am

I think it’s probably pretty likely. He’s having another solid year and he’s on a 2/$26MM deal, and the qualifying offer is going to be around $14 million, so it’s not like they’ll have to drastically overpay him. Thus, having a protected top-10 pick would serve the Phillies well in a situation like that (or if they wanted to go after Choo/Ellsbury/Pence, all of whom will almost certainly get QOs)

• Lefty

August 4, 2013 at 11:56 am

I was just thinking that since they have Tavares waiting in the wings, that they might just let him go without. I believe that John Mozeliak is the sharpest GM in the game, whatever he decides to do, it’s usually the right move.

• EricL

August 4, 2013 at 4:37 pm

Yeah, it’s possible they don’t offer one. I was surprised, for example that Pagan didn’t get one from the Giants last year, but Sabean is no Mozeliak. I think Moz would do it hoping he signs elsewhere to get that compensation pick. A little risky, but even if he accepts that wouldn’t be the worst thing for the Cards. They could ease Taveras in during the injury/rest days that Holliday & Beltran get, which will be numerous. Taveras also has had something of a lost season this year due to injuries and such, and there have been a few makeup questions surrounding him, so I don’t think they would be against easing him into MLB playing time, if it came to that.

Either way, I’d prefer the Phils finish in the bottom 10 so their first rounder is protected regardless of what they do on the FA market.

13. George

August 4, 2013 at 2:52 pm

Lefty, if Mozeliak usually makes the right move, if he doesn’t offer a QO to Beltran, maybe it should be taken as a sign that Beltran will be over the hill come 2014. 🙂