Gameday: Phillies (50-59) vs Braves (65-45) – Phillies Nation
2013 Gameday

Gameday: Phillies (50-59) vs Braves (65-45)

Philadelphia Phillies (50-59) vs Atlanta Braves (65-45)

braves2

Cliff Lee (10-4, 3.05 ERA) vs Alex Wood (1-2, 3.52 ERA)

Time: 8:05, Citizens Bank Park

TV: ESPN

Weather: 80, partly cloudy

Media: Twitter and Facebook

After losing 5-3 on Friday, the Phillies will look to salvage a game in their three game series against the Braves on Sunday night. With last night’s loss, the Phillies have now lost five straight series since the All-Star Break.

Left-hander Cliff Lee, who has missed a few starts with neck stiffness, will start for the Phillies in the finale. Lee has struggled a bit lately allowing at least four earned runs in each of his last three starts. In his las outing against the Mets, he allowed five runs in seven innings of work. The longball has been a problem for Lee of late, as he has surrendered seven homers in his last two starts. In his career against Atlanta, Lee is 6-4 with a 2.97 ERA

Lee will be opposed by lefty Alex Wood, who has pitched well in his rookie campaign for the Braves. Wood churned out a quality start his last time out against Colorado, allowing just three runs in seven innings. The seven innings was by far his longest outing of the year (previously 4 1/3 innings), and it came in only his third start of the year, as he was pitching out of the bullpen for the most part before Tim Hudson’s injury.

Only Jimmy Rollins, Darin Ruf, Kevin Frandsen and Carlos Ruiz have had an at bat against Wood (Rollins is the only one with two at bats), and Ruf owns the only base hit against the lefty.

Lineup: M. Young 3B, Utley 2B, Rollins SS, Ruf LF, D. Young RF, Frandsen 1B, Mayberry CF, Ruiz C, Lee P

Gameday Beer: Smithwicks Irish Red Ale3498868847_cdfdc0e2ed

Smithwicks has been around forever yet it never gets old. This red ale is one of the most common Irish brews and is perfect if you are in that Irish mood and want something lighter than a Guinness and a bit more than a Harp lager. It might not jump out at you, but you know that you are going to get a consistently solid beer, and a lot of times, that is enough.

1. Tracey

August 4, 2013 at 8:13 pm

Let’s honor the 1993 Phils by NOT SUCKING tonight. Just for a change of pace.

2. "Big Ed" Delahanty

August 4, 2013 at 9:20 pm

Dear PN,
    Don’t think less of me, but everytime they do a close up on Freddie Freeman he just had this annoying smirk I just want to knock off his face, or throw him off Niagra. Go Phillies!

• Lefty

August 4, 2013 at 9:27 pm

Why would that make anyone think less of you? We’re a testosterone filled bunch, we could get together and swing him.

and a 1, and a 2 , and a threeeeeeeee……

3. Andrew from Waldorf

August 4, 2013 at 8:33 pm

Another must win for the Pacifist Phils.

I laughed out loud when Kruk called them elderly.

Id like Utley back too under normal circumstances but with a GM who has hoarded and destroyed the team with signing elderly players to long term deals. I don’t see hwo they can sign another elderly player with an injury history to a long term deal.

Also funny to me that the powers that be see this team as still in the window of oppourtunity to win a WS.

What team have they been watching the last few years?

4. Andrew from Waldorf

August 4, 2013 at 9:40 pm

I need a few hits from Freddie I am close in BA in fantasy.

The 93 team was based on taking walks and wearing put the opposing staff and pitcher.

Was a thing of beauty.

And whatever Lenny had to make is bat go in the playoffs was something to behold.

I was 21 years old that year and it was fun,

I remember opening night was on ESPN and was against the NCAA championship.
    Chris Webber called the time out.

That was before the interent and the baseball package I was living in Erie Pa. So I only caught games vs the pirates or on national tv or WOR or WGN or TBS.

They were just a fun group.

Too bad they didn’t have a closer or they win the title.

• Double Trouble Del

August 4, 2013 at 10:38 pm

I think they swept Houston with Terry Mulholland taking game one.

August 4, 2013 at 9:02 pm

I loved that 93 team, for more than baseball reasons. At the time I had an 10 year old nephew who was diagnosed with Tourettes Syndrome. And Jim Eisenreich, who also had the disease was so unbelievably good to him. He would come down to Baltimore in the winter at the different functions held for kids with Tourettes.

It was just an amazing, inspiring thing for those kids and their parents to see someone that had not only learned to live with the disease, but he achieved in life and he became a major league ball player. It gave us all hope, and now my – hard to believe this – my 30 year old nephew, is living a normal life and doing well. I’ll always be thankful to big Jim.

6. Double Trouble Del

August 4, 2013 at 10:04 pm

I write this comment without watching but if Charlie does not bench Mayberry I’m f’ing done.

August 4, 2013 at 9:05 pm

IMO- If the “powers that be” think this team as presently constructed still has a window of opportunity to win it all, we need new “powers that be”.

• Mike

August 4, 2013 at 9:19 pm

You should’ve heard Ruben on the radio shows on Friday. By the way he was explaining things,you would think everything is “A” OK on how he runs the team.

8. Double Trouble Del

August 4, 2013 at 9:28 pm

Cliff looks like he’s joined the act. This team flat out blows-top to bleeping bottom.

• "Big Ed" Delahanty

August 4, 2013 at 9:39 pm

DTD,
      I hear you loud and clear. I can’t watch anymore. I gotta work 12+ tomorrow and write a grad paper. Not worth my time tonight, especially what we’re down.

• Double Trouble Del

August 4, 2013 at 10:21 pm

Ed I remember those days well, writing my thesis, student teaching and working night shift at a hotel in Georgetown–in fact it was 1983 year of the Wheeze Kids…no such luck this year. Good luck on the paper! Del

• "Big Ed" Delahanty

August 4, 2013 at 9:53 pm

Cliff is some what off hit three earned runs isn’t the en of the world. It’s the current state of our fielding and hitting that I cannot watch.

9. AC In NJ

August 4, 2013 at 10:44 pm

Bench Mayberry? Just release him (along with Delmon Young). Send a message. Please!!

• c. schreiber

August 4, 2013 at 10:59 pm

Don’t forget also to release Mini, McDonald, Nix, and RAJ

August 4, 2013 at 10:02 pm

So, Let me see if I understand this. This cat Alex Wood throws a knuckle curve ball. I thought the idea of a knuckler was so it wouldn’t spin, the idea of a curve is to make it spin. How do you do both?

• Andrew from Waldorf

August 4, 2013 at 10:42 pm

I don’t know. But if you can face the Pacifist Phils you can only give up 2 hits in 7 innings.

11. Andrew from Waldorf

August 4, 2013 at 11:19 pm

Oh the boo birds are out.

This team may lose 100 which is what 10-40 the rest of the way and I am being generous.

I cant believe I am going to lose my Mets bet.

This is a disgraceful display.

• Double Trouble Del

August 4, 2013 at 11:42 pm

I suppose it is possible. Imagine 100 losses with this payroll while Howard, Halladay and Adams watch from the dugout to cheer on Nix, Mini-Mart, Mayberry, the Youngs et al on fan appreciation day! Can’t wait.

12. Double Trouble Del

August 4, 2013 at 11:34 pm

Is Utley worth a qualifying offer to at least secure a draft pick?