2013 Gameday

Gameday: Phillies (57-70) vs. Diamondbacks (65-61)

Philadelphia Phillies (57-70) vs. Diamondbacks (65-61)

Cole Hamels (5-13, 3.61) vs. Wade Miley (9-8, 3.56)

Time: 7:05, Citizens Bank Park
TV: CSN
Weather: Mid-70s, partly cloudy
Media: Twitter and Facebook
Tickets: Philadelphia Phillies tickets

Tonight, the Phillies have a chance to do something they haven’t done in nearly a month’s time–win three games in a row.

On the bump for the Phils will be the red hot Cole Hamels, who has dazzled since the All Star Break, posting a 2.30 ERA over 43 IP. That mark gives him the 11th best ERA in the NL since the second half started.

One of the pitchers ahead of Hamels in ERA since the All Star break is the man he’ll be facing tonight–Wade Miley. Miley ranks 10th in the NL in post-All Star ERA, posting a 2.25 mark.

Hamels lost to the D-Backs when he faced them earlier this year, though he only allowed two runs over six innings. In that game, he uncharacteristically walked five batters. For his career, he’s gone 4-2 against Arizona with a 3.42 ERA.

Miley has not faced the Phils this year, though he did shut them down for six innings in his lone career start against them.

Lineup: Young 3B, Frandsen 1B, Utley 2B, Brown LF, Ruiz C, Ruf RF, Mayberry CF, McDonald SS, Hamels P

Orval Trappist AleYour Gameday Beer – Sierra Nevada Pale Ale

The Phils welcome a visitor from the American Southwest this weekend. When it comes to southwestern brews, California’s Sierra Nevada produces some of the best. This pale ale selection is highly-rated, with a prominent bitterness that doesn’t overpower the malty taste. There is a citrus undertone that finishes off this smooth and delicious sip. –By RD

Go Phillies!

1. Ken Bland

August 23, 2013 at 6:30 pm

Seems like red hot is a little overstating Hamels work over recent weeks. I’m not quibbling with complimenting his results, guess it depends on how you use the language.

Truthfully, as we rolled through June, well, not we…only rolling Cole was doing was getting rolled over,which is an exaggeration, but he wasn’t making no all-star team….I wondrered how he’d have pitched if he pitched in the all-star game. He had his own reasons for a less than stellar first half, but I figured with a good team behind him, he’d pitch well. We’ll never know.

This should be a good, competitive game tonight. Should be a decent series.

I could see the Phils getting swept, but don’t think it’ll happen. I could see them winning 2, but don’t expect it. If they do, it’s a nice stretch to end the homestand and see what they do in Sandberg’s first road games. My guess is they come up short 2 out of 3.

The guy who ran a blog from a bygone era used to intro each series with 3 questions. If I were to apply that theme to this matchup, it’d look like this…

1/ What does Ethan Martin have in store for an encore performance?

2/ How will Jimmy bounce back after being given a “night off for the 2nd time in 5 days after better work at the plate the last 2-3 games. Course I keep forgetting that each of the last 5 years, Jimmy was done all 48 times he mired his streaky behind in a slump. Not that he’s had a good year/

3/ Which manager has a more intense weekend?

2. Ken Bland

August 23, 2013 at 7:09 pm

Being as this is retro night, it’s right and proper to take a look at an ex-Phillie, who, with the magic of time, makes you wonder whatever happened to him.

Ender Incarte.

Buried again after actually making the Phils roster on OD, sponsored by terrific speed, and capable defense. The Phils eventually returned him to the Dbacks where he’s had a pretty nice AA year, including 41 steals. Might still have a decent career including at least some big league time.

3. Ken Bland

August 23, 2013 at 7:15 pm

The Cool One has now dropped his ERA to 3.59. Full run below what it was when he pitched poorly against Milwaukee the end of May. Pretty sure, anyway.

7 innings per and 2 earned runs per game with the number of starts projected at the time gets him to 3.33.

Jim Merritt, he ain’t.

#doable

4. Ken Bland

August 23, 2013 at 7:21 pm

When the basis of tonight’s unis came out in I guess it was when the Vet opened, ’71, the P wasn’t exactly greeted warmly. General concensus was they looked like softball unis. Funny how now, allthese years later, that style of uni is much better received. All I know is I see the P, and softball or not, I see a lot of guys who gave me memories forever, and that was good enough for me for identification purposes.

5. Ken Bland

August 23, 2013 at 7:26 pm

I wouldn’t describe this as worrisome exavtly, but Cole’s a lille up in the zone so far. Beaucoup fly balls, noit in line with his groundball frequency of late.

22 pitches through 2 is an absolute buy though. That part, keep it going, for sure.

6. Ken Bland

August 23, 2013 at 7:52 pm

Maybe the most impressive thing about Goldschmiudt is as you glance through his stats, his splits are reasonably eve, He basically keeps on keepin on, not exactly piling it on in a given circumstance.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, the fingers are suddenly crossed.

7. Ken Bland

August 23, 2013 at 8:06 pm

Any player can lose one in the lights, or twilight, even though I bet some went a career and never did, so we can pretty much look past Dom’s snafu. But he’s not having an acceptable defensive stretch of late. Matter of fact, on the whole, certainly arm strength aside, he’s spent the last couple weeks validating Keith Law’s claim earlier this year (maybe spring) that he’ still “well below average” defensively. I thought that was a real overstatement, but we’re looking to see better play than recently. And the thought was Ruf could be an adventure in right.

8. Ken Bland

August 23, 2013 at 8:47 pm

How bout that. Chooch gets the hitters count and continues hitting. and we are squared.

9. Ken Bland

August 23, 2013 at 8:56 pm

I’ll be interested to see where, if he uses Rollins at all he uses him after passing on him as a pinch hitter letting McDonald hit with 2 outs to end the inning with them loaded. Maybe a little early to get down to 1 shortstop.

least they got the deuce, started by Fransden (2).

10. Ken Bland

August 23, 2013 at 9:22 pm

He’s still young, 21, but I see where Jonathan Singleton hasn’t exactly bounced back from his suspension. Prorated 160 K’s, and he’s walked enough to get his OBP up in the .330’s, but he’s not having a very powerful year at Ok City. I assume his future is still bright.

Unfortunately, there’ve been stretches where you would love seeing Heath Bell come in, but he’s pitched pretty well of late. Or hitters have been of a cooperative spirit. He’s been used in various situations.

11. Ken Bland

August 23, 2013 at 9:31 pm

Wellllll….we are left to wonder how Roger Bernadina would have fared against Bell.

Sometimes Ryno seems really into the lefty-righty thing.

But not there.

Kberry.

12. Ken Bland

August 23, 2013 at 9:44 pm

The 1 game that sticks out on the OOT scoreboard is the O’s hosting the A’s. Slump ridden of late, the O’s are not capitalizing on the hot Yanks loss of a Kuroda start after sweeping Toronto by losing to the A;s 7-6, T7.

It’s the way they are lsing. Six runs on 4 hits. Chris Davis and Adam Jones can’t get it done themselves.

13. Ken Bland

August 23, 2013 at 9:46 pm

Pitching well of late, or not, ESPECIALLY after Asche leds off with a hit, I can’t see the Phils NOT scoring here.

14. Ken Bland

August 23, 2013 at 9:50 pm

When a guy breaks an oh fer, I wonder what the batting average is on the first at bat after the snap slump hit. Like maybe Fransden goes with a 2nd straight hit here.

• Ken Bland

August 23, 2013 at 9:55 pm

It’s not 1.000, he calculated.

Damn.

That must raise Zona’s survival chances a lot of percentage, Utley or not.

15. Ken Bland

August 23, 2013 at 9:59 pm

3-2, foul, ball 4, game

• Ken Bland

August 23, 2013 at 10:01 pm

first time a hitter’s ever been up in that situation and didn’t hit a foul ball. Ironically, a pitch that close, you often TRY to foul it off. Tough pitch to take results in a GW rbi. On the road to 2 of 3 for a good finish to the home stand. Now if they can just get it done.

16. Ken Bland

August 23, 2013 at 10:03 pm

Between ’em, Utley and Mike Sweeney have 1 heartbeat. But Utley is one cool assed mofer.

Takes a lot to get that boy going.

17. Andrew from Waldorf

August 23, 2013 at 10:06 pm

Winner winner
    Chicken dinner

Never in doubt

Mets lead down to 1

I am thinking wild card!

Heath Bell and Dice K are my heros!!!

18. G7

August 23, 2013 at 10:11 pm

Players playing hard..how refreshing!!

• schmenkman

August 23, 2013 at 10:52 pm

G7, I couldn’t watch and only followed on gameday — just curious, what do you mean, who is playing hard who hadn’t been previously?

• G7

August 24, 2013 at 7:50 am

Schmenk…just referring to the recent fight back in this team,,don’t remember too many in the first 100 games..

19. Ken Bland

August 23, 2013 at 10:24 pm

I think I finally figured this thing out. We might be seeing in Ryne Sanberg what we would have seen had Bobby Wine ever been given a chance to manage the Phils. What a nice thought to put a wrap on another night of baseball. I would hope RAJ has positive memories of Wino. A Mauch disciple, who I’d like to think wouldn’t have overmanaged, Not quite comparable to Ryno as a player. We go from The Plays of Wine and Rojas, to The Thoughts about Wino and Ryno.

and fade to black.

20. Andrew from Waldorf

August 23, 2013 at 11:48 pm

Schenkman there was an overall team malaise with this team.
    This year and some would say the year before and possibly the year before.

You are one of my favorite posters.
    You entertain me and I get your point of view and respect it.

But sometimes you go over board on the positive like I go over board on the negative.

To similar levels.

AFW

Is just enjoying the ride.

Mets up one game.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOTTTTTTTTT
    WHATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT?????

It doesn’t take a lot to please the fans.

I hope Phillies management is learning that winning games pleases fans more than keeping beloved players in town just because some fans have their jersey and are emotionally attached to a player. Even if it means a weaker team.

• schmenkman

August 24, 2013 at 12:02 am

Yes, Andrew, I’ve heard it said in the past week — I was just wondering about specific examples. I am often suspicious of statements about “playing hard”, “hustle”, “enthusiasm”, etc., for two reasons:

1) The main reason the Phillies won tonight was the pitching. If the 4th run in the 9th turned a 6-3 deficit to a 6-4 loss, I wonder if it would still feel like they played hard.

2) We often confuse playing hard with hitting well. Or not even hitting well, but having the good fortune of a weak grounder being just out of reach or a blooper falling in for a key hit.

21. Andrew from Waldorf

August 24, 2013 at 1:41 am

Intangibles come into play.

Things like a general malaise that you cant put your finger on.

Its the old school scouts who see it in a player but not in another.
    The numbers don’t always say whats going on.

I will never think the Braves can win a title with McCann catching and Uggla at 2nd.
    The numbers may prove me wrong.
    The braves may win the WS this year. Then I would be wrong.

I don’t think you can win titles with certain things in play.

I point to Carlos Ruizs minus WAR in 2008.
    I don’t care what the numbers say.

He was as important to that team as anyone.

22. Fritz

August 24, 2013 at 6:04 am

I think what G7 means is they are winning games in the ninth. The team post Charlie seems to be a little better at winning with the same guys = playing harder.This may all go away but for right now I understand what G7’s point is.

• Chuck A.

August 24, 2013 at 7:42 am

“Charlie’s team” won plenty of games in the 9th.

• G7

August 24, 2013 at 7:56 am

Since the All Star break? Charlie’s team had a stretch of 17 days with 2 wins.

• Chuck A.

August 24, 2013 at 8:12 am

No. Not since the AS Break. Certainly that’s all “fresh” in our minds. But that stretch of terrible games shouldn’t define Charlie as a bad manager. I mean, how do you explain the stretch right before the AS Break where they went on that run, won all those series against good teams and climbed back into the race?

Also… all these walk-offs this week…while nice….doesn’t mean that Ryne Sandberg is suddenly some sort of genius. I will argue that they very well could have won those games in that fashion if Charlie was still at the helm.

23. G7

August 24, 2013 at 9:40 am

I could also argue that Charlie had quit on this team, and the players had as well..Charlie always seemed to need really good players in order to succeed..there are other ways to win games if you actually manage the game and the players.

• Chuck A.

August 24, 2013 at 11:03 am

You DO need really good players in order to succeed. Right now…the Phillies are a bad team. But even bad teams have games or stretches of games where they play well. And in the case of this recent mini good stretch they caught a few breaks as well. Instead of winning 5 of their last 6 they very easily could have LOST 5 of 6.

24. Ken Bland

August 24, 2013 at 9:50 am

Upon further review…

That was a cool last at bat last night for Chase. The normal predecessor for a hitter stepping up is they’ll avoid an out about 33 out of 100 times. But a player of Ut’s ilk? In that situation, confidence wise, maybe he’s gonna get the job done more like 5, hell, maybe 6 times out of 10. Do I hear 7?

So did Kirk Gibson do the right thing yanking Bell for lefty de la Rosa?? Put it this way. You’ll take Utley over Heath Bell all day long. And as for Joe Thatcher, a lefty pen deadline buy, he’s had 11 of the last 19 lefties he faced get on base. And the Dbacks are like 3-13 at the Bank since ’07, Altered roster or not, horror houses have a way of sucking you into long term leases. It’s so easy to view it from the other side, where the Phils have lost countless games in exact similar circumstances, and so many wrong people get blamed. Maybe Asche and Jimmy Offense are underpublicized heroes for setting the stage for the destined loser getting sucked back in, although that avoids a lot of contributors toward getting there.

25. Ken Bland

August 24, 2013 at 6:32 pm

I believe I have the Saturday night lineup straight. I mean, I triple checked it, so it must be true.

I guess it’s “Consolidate Your Offense Night” at the old ballpark. Get your runs between 2 and 7.

Check it out.

8. Casper Wells (R) RF

9. Ethan Martin (R) P

1. Roger Bernadina (L) CF

Ruth, Lou and Muusel. Bull, Mike and Richie Hebnah. Foster, Bench, Perez.

I guess it’s as good as many a 3some that’s suited up.

Are you freaking kidding me, Ryno? You handed this to the ump with a straight face? These guys are hitting a collective .155 for the year. Half of what Mr. Montgomery hails as a fine trade percentage!

26. Ken Bland

August 24, 2013 at 7:20 pm

This is the worst inning I’ve seen pitched since Jim Kaat’s past hgis prime days with the Phils at the Vet.

This is TERRIBLE. 32 pitches and counting, and only 2 zip. Deeeeeep counts all over the place.

• "Big Ed" Delahanty

August 24, 2013 at 7:28 pm

You said it, Ken. This is an atrocious inning for young Martin. Starting to think he might be better suited as a reliever after tonight’s display.

• Ken Bland

August 24, 2013 at 7:39 pm

Please tell me how you came to that conclusion. Seriously, I’d really like to know.

• "Big Ed" Delahanty

August 24, 2013 at 7:45 pm

Ken,
        Just based on his lack if ability to set pace, and the way he fails to adjust to the line-up after the first time through. I’d love to see him become a solid starter, but initially he is showing the signs that relief might be better suited to him, as he posses good stuff and throws hard. Just pure speculation in the end though. : )

• Ken Bland

August 24, 2013 at 7:51 pm

The way I figure it is this. While he’s 24, which isn’t exactly young, he’s still developing. He’s got a real good curve, and throws hard. So the potential is there. But he’s got to improve his command. I don’t see much of anything with his current demonstrated ability that makes him anything more than an adventure in the pen like we’ve seen so much of.

Another year in the minors, make a judgement then. Maybe his future is as a reliever, but even that’s off an improvement.

27. Ken Bland

August 24, 2013 at 7:27 pm

And a nice hand for Martin who throws his first complete game in the majors.

And in time for dinner reservations, no less as he does it in 1 inning.

44pitches, 22 strikes, and the problem of 8-9-1 is eliminated early.

Whew.

• Ken Bland

August 24, 2013 at 11:42 pm

As we go to the 12th, the official scorer has said that if the game goes 14, Martin loses his perfect game.

Martin might retire by the time this sucker ends.

28. Ken Bland

August 24, 2013 at 10:19 pm

In a game of pain, that Bell curve getting Mayberry was thee pain of the night. Tying run would have come up, but a Mayberry freeze just leaves you in head shaking mode.

Especially after Chooch’s hit, but now they have come back from 5 zip to get the tying run up.

29. Ken Bland

August 24, 2013 at 10:21 pm

It is just unbelievable. Darin Ruf. Just unbelievable.

• G7

August 24, 2013 at 10:24 pm

How bout these Fightin Phils!!

30. c. schreiber

August 24, 2013 at 10:28 pm

Schmenk, You believe in the RUFFER yet? You didn’t when the talk was he should be a platoon with Howard versus lefties.

• G7

August 24, 2013 at 10:30 pm

Forget the platoon..should be the everyday 1st baseman with Stanton in RF.. Lol

31. Ken Bland

August 24, 2013 at 10:36 pm

Pretty ironic they go 9-9-1 in the 9th after that reaction to the lineup. And with Bernadina already whacking one.

Another shutdown 9th for Paps. Wonder who Ryno will use tied late on the road next week. As if we don’t know, but this club is just full of surprises.

32. Ken Bland

August 24, 2013 at 10:41 pm

I can’t get over that Ruf rip. There’s more reason to believe Bernidina slams another than to think Ruf would go deep. Veteran pitcher, knows the guy has power, and yet, kaboom. Heath Bell is just incredible.

33. Ken Bland

August 24, 2013 at 10:42 pm

Glad he squared. Just thyninking a bunt for a hit might be the play.

34. Ken Bland

August 24, 2013 at 10:44 pm

This place is SUCH a house of horros for the Bax.

35. Ken Bland

August 24, 2013 at 10:46 pm

I cannot believe they’re pitching to Chase at all.

• Ken Bland

August 24, 2013 at 10:48 pm

You absolutely take the chance of walking Mayberry with ’em loaded. I actually think they tried to get Chase to bite. What a waste of time.

36. Ken Bland

August 24, 2013 at 10:54 pm

Tomorrow is so meaningless at this point, but this extra innings leans nice to Arizona with the pens lining up. First, Bell’s not going 3 in a row, huge advantage, them. Paps (I don’t thinbk) will pitch), I don’t think BJ will, they gotta get a good start by Cloyd, especially against Corbin.

So in a way, the Phils are kinda playing for the series right here.

But I wouldn’t assume they’ll lose tomorrow. I was, but what do I look, stupid?

37. Ken Bland

August 24, 2013 at 11:01 pm

You can hit and run with Prado, if they choose to. Very dependable hgitter.

38. Ken Bland

August 24, 2013 at 11:04 pm

Helluva job by Jake. Does about as well as a guy can V Goldschmidt, and you couldn’t ask for more tailor made stuff than how he induced Prado into the DP.

Ruf hits this inning.

He couldn’t possibly do it again.

39. Ken Bland

August 24, 2013 at 11:15 pm

I think it’s safe to saw Wells is big time pressing, anxious to fit in after SO much bouncing arouynd. And it’s a shame because it’d be nice to see him contribute, to fit in, and it’s not like he’s got massive ability to offset that extra difficulty. Tough situation to be in.

Geez, if they use Cloyd, could Doc pitch here? That’d be interesting. Well, I hope it would be.

40. Ken Bland

August 24, 2013 at 11:30 pm

I THINK, he said hesitantly, Gibby’s making a mistake here going after Utley. I’d have taken my chances with Josh against Mayberry.

Not an easy decision.

41. Ken Bland

August 24, 2013 at 11:45 pm

Tell ya what. If you think Doc glared at Charlie when he came out to the mound to check on him, you ain’t seen nothing yet if they do ask him how he feels about tomorrow.

But maybe they have another backup idea.

42. Ken Bland

August 24, 2013 at 11:52 pm

No way I’d pitch to Prado

43. Ken Bland

August 24, 2013 at 11:57 pm

I thibk this is the Phils first extra inning game since before the break V the White Sox. Sure feels like it’s been quite a while.

44. Ken Bland

August 25, 2013 at 12:16 am

Cloyd’s down to about 60 pitches left before we see who this year’s Willie Valdez is. They may be short an ourfielder tomorrow, too depending on what’s up with Brown.