2013 Gameday

Gameday: Phillies (62-73) at Cubs (56-78)

39212-cubsPhiladelphia Phillies (62-73) at Chicago Cubs (56-78)

Cliff Lee (11-6, 3.07 ERA) vs RHP Chris Rusin (2-3, 2.64 ERA)

TIME: 4:05 ET, Wrigley Field
Comcast SportsNet, MLBN
Weather: 80, Isolated Thunderstorms
Media: Twitter and Facebook

The Phillies are back at it again today after a thrilling come-from-behind victory against the Cubs yesterday in Ryne Sandberg’s return to Wrigley. That’s the seventh win for the Phils in their last ten games. If only they had done this all season, right? Oh well. It’s still been fun to watch them since Sandberg took over the helm.

With Cliff Lee on the mound, you’ve got to like their chances of winning again today. Lee, perhaps the streakiest pitcher in Phillies history, struggled out of the gate after the All Star Break. But he’s pitched well in his last starts, allowing six earned runs over 23 innings. Lee has dominated the Cubs over his career to the tune of a 1.77 ERA. They’ve never beaten him. You’ve got to like the Phils chances against Chicago when Lee is on the mound.

Throwing a wrench in the plans for victory could be Cubs starter Chris Rusin. The rookie pitcher has been great since getting recalled to the Majors in early July. Worse, he’s never faced the Phillies. Traditionally, that has been kryptonite for the Phillies lineup. But, with a bunch of fresh faces, maybe they’ll fair a bit better today.

Lineup: Young 3B, Rollins SS, Utley 2B, Ruiz C, Ruf LF, Mayberry RF, Frandsen 1B, Bernadina CF, Lee P

Gameday Beer: Smithwicks Irish Red

Smithwicks has been around forever yet it never gets old. This red ale is one of the most common Irish brews and is perfect if you are in that Irish mood and want something lighter than a Guinness and a bit more than a Harp lager. It might not jump out at you, but you know that you are going to get a consistently solid beer, and a lot of times, that is enough.

1. Andrew From Waldorf

August 31, 2013 at 4:13 pm

Big game .

Will the Mets ever lose again?

Last time Ruiz was hitting in the middle of the order he was rolling too.

Go phils!

• Ken Bland

August 31, 2013 at 4:15 pm

I’m not trying to get you started on Jimmy, but did you see the pitch he struck out on? He missed it by a record amount. More than completely fooled. TERRIBLE.

• schmenkman

August 31, 2013 at 6:07 pm

Equally important and relevant, will the Rockies ever lose again (also won 2 straight)?

2. Ken Bland

August 31, 2013 at 5:23 pm

Sure hope we don’t see THAT inning again. What a defensive debacle, both ways.

Sometimes the difference between the majors and minors is tough to see. Nice play by Rollins to end it.

3. Ken Bland

August 31, 2013 at 6:29 pm

That was an interesting at bat. I think Young fouled off 5 pitches or so, and on the last one,at 3-2, which might have bee the third pitch on that count, Orr was in such hit and run mode, he was easily doubled off as Young lined to right center.

I don’t know how many of the pitches to Young were hit and runs, but they had multiple chances at 3-2 to hit and run, so I wonder what made that one a good one, although it might have been one of a few.

4. Ken Bland

August 31, 2013 at 6:59 pm

I think we can safely say that if we’re looking for positives about Halladay’s start yesterday, he pitched better than Sarge harmonized on his guest 7th inning stretch guy.

5. Ken Bland

August 31, 2013 at 7:25 pm

BJ with an excellent inning, keeping it at a run

This Phillie ballclub is a lot different with Brown abd Asche in the lineup. Brown for obvious resons, Asche, not only for good defense, but has some extra base power.

I assume we’ll see Brownthis inning. I wonder of Asche might even get a shot.

Only a run, but no Carlos Marmol.

6. Ken Bland

September 1, 2013 at 11:49 am

I spent a bit of time yesterday thinking about Ken Hubbs. I think I started thinking about him before Sarge did the 7th inning, and was blown away by the 50 years now that have passed since he was killed in a car crash in 1963. I mean they’re talking about Sarge being ROY in ’73, and conveying what a lengthy time 40 years, and Hubbs was gone close to 10 years by then.

All we know about Hubbs is what he left on the field in a brief period of time. He was the 1962 ROY, and also wona Gold Glove that year. A year later, Pete Rose was rookie of the year, making it 2 straight 2nd baseman winning the award. When I think about how full a life Pete has had, and how long ago it was that Ryne Sandberg was a great Cub player, it’ compounds the tragedy of the wonderful future Hubbs lost so early. Glenn Beckert wound up a fairly nice Cub 2nd baseman, at least to memory and even though a lineup of Banks, Williams and Santo was a good start toward contender status that never finished right, maybe Hubbs would have made a difference toward killing off this gripping jinx that lives to this day.

ad story about a guy remembered as a very good young player that at least got to excel when he had the chance.

He is missed.

7. Ken Bland

September 1, 2013 at 2:21 pm

oddsmaker, oddsmaker, make me a line

o/u is 9. should go over

time of game 3:10 Ariatta’s pitching. O-V-E-R

number of walks issued. 8 and it probably goes over

Sunday at the Friendly Confines. For the first, and last time this year.

8. Ken Bland

September 1, 2013 at 2:30 pm

Considering Jake’s propensity for walks, any Phillie swinging at the first pitch today should be castrated, or be forced to pony up and finance the team Xmas party.

I mean, even Jimmy had the good sense to take a walk.

9. Ken Bland

September 1, 2013 at 3:52 pm

I mean seriously, noit to get caught up in the moment, but how do you bring Kendrick back. If Ruben wants to contend next year, whch I’ll be nice and just let that go, how do you rotate with any of KK, Lannan or Doc as is. And you can’t say well, our guy is better than anything else out there. I doubt it.

• Ken Bland

September 1, 2013 at 3:56 pm

Tell ya what. Let’s try skipping a Kendrick start and see how he does with extended rest. It has been a long year for him. See if that helps.

10. Ken Bland

September 2, 2013 at 3:18 pm

I want to see if I look back on this (assuming I finish) and see if there’s any what was I thinking reaction.

Top Ten Favorite Pitchers of the last 50 years….

Without a doubters…

Greg Maddux

Catfish Hunter

Ron Guidry

John Tudor

Sandy Koufax

Clayton Kershaw

Cliff Lee

Roy Halladay

Not quite in the same class, but we’d still rock on down to electric avenue, and take our chances moving higher with them…

David Cone

Steve Carlton

Jim Bunning

El Duque Hernandez

Curt Schilling

Andy Pettitte

Adam Wainright

Ryan Madson

Mike McCormick

Tim Lincecum

I’m not sure why I’m leaving these guys off

Bob Gibson

Tom Seaver

Luis Tiant

Pedro Martinez

Cole Hamels

Jim Palmer

Justin Verlander

Roger Clemens

Rich Gossage and Rollie Fingers being somewhere on the lower echelon of the list. JR Richard was awesome to watch. I bet if I had a better recollection of Denny McClain’s 2 great back to back years, his name would slip in. Don’t ask me why Unit Johnson waited until now to get mentioned. Steve Rogers was atreat to watch compete against Carlton and the Phils. Kent Tekulve.

I better quit while I still have my sanity. This could drive you nuts.

11. Ken Bland

September 2, 2013 at 3:35 pm

Gelb on Monday’s lineup…

Cesar Hernandez is the 8th different Phillies centerfielder in 2013. Can you name them all?

The Everpopular One

I don’t think Brown or Young ever played center

I thought this was gonna be easy

Shows how memorable they’ve been

Then, someone else mentioned the team’s used 15 outfielders. That’s pretty good depth, eh?

Del Young

And no doubt some other memorable names. No offense to a handful of THOSE 10, but if that’s not the worst major league outfield for 1 year, I don’t know what is. Cleon, Agee and Swoboda would crush this group.

• hk

September 2, 2013 at 3:44 pm

Susdorf and Wells played OF

• hk

September 2, 2013 at 3:48 pm

1. Did Endier Inciarte play before they had to give him back to Arizona?
      2. They got that guy (Carrera or Cabrera) from the Indians before they released him.

12. Ken Bland

September 2, 2013 at 3:50 pm

The hell with senility. Dave Stewart for Preseident (almosta no doubter, no less) and Ender Inciarte for Vice President, who played so long ago, you gots to be mindful to recollect his young ass.