Halladay Puts Stamp of Approval on Phils Managerial Switch

Roy Halladay, image- Jay Floyd

Roy Halladay completed a moderately fair rehab effort with the Phillies’ Class A club on Tuesday night and did so with no ill effects.  However, the biggest story out of Lakewood, NJ may have been that the ace right-hander seemed to declare that the recent switch at the managerial position for the big league team was long overdue.

Immediately following an assertion of adoration for fired Phils skipper Charlie Manuel, the 36-year-old hurler told a crowd of reporters that there were issues that had been neglected and he knows that the man who replaced Manuel after nine seasons, Ryne Sandberg, has already begun repairing the problems.

“I’ve exchanged texts with (Charlie).  Obviously, I loved him.  He was great,” Halladay stated.  “But, from what I’ve seen, you know, Ryne came in and made some changes and addressed some issues that I think were being overlooked, so from that standpoint, as much as I miss Charlie, I think that Ryne’s going to do a good job.  I think he’s gonna bring more of the Phillie baseball style that we’ve had the last couple years.  You know, we haven’t really had that whole team effort and the whole team hustle that we had in prior years.”

The implication is clearly that Manuel had grown complacent in his position of supervision over the roster. Aside from a lack of hustle, which has long been a concern with certain players on the Phillies, what specifically were the other matters at hand?

“Just different things.  Guys being at places on time, being on the field on time.   You know, taking ground balls, taking extra BP, all those little things that nobody thinks makes a difference, so I think (Sandberg’s) been very good so far, but again I don’t want to take anything away from Charlie.  He’s- we all respected him tremendously and I think he’s gonna have the choice of what he wants to do at this point in his life, so I’m happy for him,” Halladay said.

In the game, Halladay, who is recovering from shoulder surgery, went six innings against the Nationals affiliate Hagerstown Suns, allowing two runs (one earned) while giving up seven hits, striking out four and issuing three free passes.

The two-time Cy Young Award winner sports a 2-4 record with an 8.65 ERA in seven major league starts this season.

Halladay was asked if he felt like he could make his next start in the big leagues, but he was clear in identifying that it would be up to the organization to assign his next outing.

“That’s out of my control.  I want to pitch in five days, but (where I pitch is) not my call,” Halladay stated.

The veteran of 16 big league seasons was pleased with his effort, despite his ratio of throwing just 52 of his 90 pitches for strikes and mainly clocking at 87 MPH with his fastball throughout the evening.  Halladay took a lot of positives out of the performance of his cutter.

“It really did get better from about the fourth/fifth inning on, to where…I was letting the grip do it, instead of trying to create it with my body….I was just working on the grip and getting it moving and it seemed to come around, so I was happy about that.”

The plan seems to be for Halladay to pitch again on Sunday.  With some struggles to control his offerings in the BlueClaws’ 3-2 win over Hagerstown on Tuesday night, it’s likely that another minor league rehab outing will be in store for the eight-time All-Star.  Double-A Reading and Lakewood play at home that day, while Triple-A Lehigh Valley will be on the road.

More quotes from Halladay-

On if he’s given thought to the amount of outings he might need to make in order to put his improved health on display for teams interested in his services in the future:

“I’m fortunate that I’ve played a long time.  I’m not playing for money.  I’m not playing for anything else.  If I have a situation where I have a chance to win, then I might pay them.  I don’t know.  Fortunately, I don’t have to play.  I’m playing because I want to play.  So, that’s a decision that’s made after the season.”

On his velocity decline:

“I think the older you get, you’re not going to gain, so you know, mentally, you have to be smarter and execute better and think a little more.  I’ve had plenty of time to learn and it’s, you know, I mean it’s slowly decreased over my career.  So, it’s not a huge deal for me.  I know that once you go under 92 to 90-ish, or under 90, it sets off a lot of bells with people, but I feel like I’m comfortable where I’m at, but I also feel like, you know, there’s three or four miles an hour that are going to come back.”

On his physical comfort level:

“I feel great.  I have no soreness.  I feel loose going out in between innings.  I feel good.”

1. Pamikedc

August 21, 2013 at 7:19 am

Oh Roy!

2. Chuck A.

August 21, 2013 at 7:43 am

He has spoken. I immediately feel better.

3. Ken Bland

August 21, 2013 at 8:09 am

If Doc is sending a message to his teammates through the press, this is acceptable. Might be better face to face, which may also be going down, but if he’s just answering a question and giving an opinion because he was asked, seems to me like he should have just spoke about Sandberg without evaluating Charlie. “The I love Charlie, but” tone reminds me of when Howard was doing pretty well, but facets of his game (as many power hitters) were often prefaced with, “I love Ryan Howard, but” and then proceed to comment on him like he was chopped liver.

In other words, by and large, Doc should stick to his own controllable issues, or keep things behind closed doors. His comments serve little purpose to the general public.

Two days from now, let alone 100 years, nobody will remember this. But it prompts that reaction in real time.

• Chuck A.

August 21, 2013 at 8:28 am

What else is he SUPPOSED to say? He HAD to reference Charlie because Charlie is beloved.

• George

August 21, 2013 at 11:49 am

I agree with Ken on this one. That entire “but” was not very nice. He could have said “I loved Charlie” and left it at that, or he could have indicated that with the team’s performace, perhaps a change was in order and that Sandberg was a good choice. Instead he chose to detail what he felt Manuel was allowing to happen. He placed blame, and not necessarily in the proper place.

• Chuck A.

August 21, 2013 at 1:32 pm

You guys are overblowing this. Halladay really didn’t say anything wrong. He stated his opinion, praised Charlie and that’s about it. Much ado about nothing as far as I’m concerned.

• George

August 21, 2013 at 2:13 pm

This is obviously a difference of opinion. Halladay did indeed indicate the team had grown complacement and that certain things, like showing up on time, were allowed to happen. That, to me, was an indictment of Manuel, and that, to me, was not necessary. Prefacing his remarks with praise is like saying “My mother is wonderful except she’s a bitch.”

Manuel was never one to call a player out in public, and he didn’t deserve being called out himself by a player. If Halladay had any complaints, he should have expressed them in private.

4. hk

August 21, 2013 at 8:38 am

I hope what Roy says about Sandberg is true. However, I don’t know that Sandberg can do anything to sway my opinion of him after he batted Martinez lead-off in his 3rd game as manager.

• Chuck A.

August 21, 2013 at 8:59 am

Agreed. That was ridiculous. They won in SPITE of that awful lineup decision.

• Phillies fan from Germany

August 21, 2013 at 9:08 am

Coming back to the journalists covering the Phils. Did anyone challenge Sandberg on that decision? I mean, a guy with a lifetime OBP of .235 in the leadoff spot. How can something like that happen. I get crazy over stuff like that. What did Sandberg say? I don’t care about OBP, I like his speed in the leadoff spot? As I said, I go crazy…

• hk

August 21, 2013 at 10:49 am

I did not read any criticism of the decision and I would love to know the thought process behind it. I assume that it was because he was taking Jimmy’s spot in the starting lineup and didn’t want to take the other starters out of the comfort zones of the spots in the order in which they’ve “thrived” this year.

• Lefty

August 21, 2013 at 11:08 am

I said this the other day but it was buried deep in a thread and I’m not sure anyone saw it.

I think the hometown journalists are soft on the team in general. That question should have been asked. It’s not out of line, it’s just “Ryne can you tell us your strategy on batting Martinez lead off?” There is nothing wrong with that.

5. Ryne Duren

August 21, 2013 at 9:30 am

#1 Doc was being honest. He knew a change had to be made and so did we. The problem is how the Phils did it. I was in total favor of Charlie going and a change made. But I think it should have been done at the end of last year. Not this way. But on the other hand what were they to do? If they didn’t do anything we would be all over them for not doing anything.
    If they or the organization I should say were to have Montgomery come out and in one fell swoop fire Charlie and Ruben, we would have cheered for the move. But of course you have to have the nads to do that and I think Montgomery doesn’t have them.
    #2 Why is everyone surprised mini leading off? I can’t stand the twerp. Who else is gonna lead off? Jimmy is working his way down slowly to mini territory. Rube’s roster is empty of viable talent. The other day Sandberg had Hamels bunt in a clear pinch hit situation and some people had a problem with that. (bad move etc.etc.) Why? who does Sandberg have on the bench? Hamels or Lee are probably better hitters that the guys Rube has assembled for the bench. I’ve heard and I agree that those two would be a better option than our pinch hitters anyway and I agree. McDonald? Wells? My God.
    I don’t agree with how they went about the firing but I agree with Doc that a change had to be made. Hopefully the silver lining is that Sandberg will know exactly what he’s got by finishing the season in charge. The sad part is he probably already knows he has less than a full deck to play with going in. That is going to make his job much harder. All he can do right now is feel out who wants to play and try to instill a new attitude going into next year. (Hear that Jimmy Mart.)

• Chuck A.

August 21, 2013 at 10:30 am

“Jimmy is working his way down slowly to mini territory”

I’m going to assume this is either meant to be funny or you just really weren’t thinking about actual facts when you posted this comment.

6. Chez32

August 21, 2013 at 2:05 pm

I believe that Roy made a statement similar to but in a better way than Papelbon did. The only way Charlie was loved by his players is because he allowed them to do their own thing. Charlie was a lucky and terrible manager. He ruined the Cleveland Indians, and he has now ruined our beloved Phillies. The Phillies should have hired Jim Leyland when they had the chance. The Phillies would have had more championships than the 2008 team. They should have repeated in 2009, and should have been in the World Series possibly 4 years straight from 2008-2011.

7. freddie

August 24, 2013 at 10:11 pm

There is noticeably a bundle to know about this. I reckon that you made selected nice details in features also.