2013 Game Recaps

Phillies hang on for 5-4 victory

ethan-martin2The Phillies lineup showed flashes of power tonight and it was enough to propel Ethan Martin to his second career win. It was also the Phils first back-to-back win since July 19th.

Offensively, the Phillies showed signs of improvement. They took an early 1-0 lead in the fourth inning on a fielder’s choice by Cody Asche. It was Asche’s ninth career RBI in 57 at bats. Not soon after, John Mayberry, Jr. blasted his ninth homer of the season with two men on base. Carlos Ruiz added a solo shot in the fifth to give the Phils a 5-0 lead. Chooch benefited from hitting in the two-hole this evening, going 2-4. Ryne Sandberg mentioned prior to the game that he wanted to take advantage of his Ruiz’s situational hitting by moving him up in the batting order. He also spoke at length about his focus on getting Jimmy Rollins going offensively – i.e. seeing more pitches, getting on base and scoring runs.

Ethan Martin pitched well tonight, going 6.1 innings with 4 hits, 2 earned runs, 2 walks and 6 strikeouts. This represented the longest outing in the 24-year old’s budding career. Although he had trouble escaping the seventh inning and allowed 2 runs, Justin DeFratus’s relief minimized the damage. Martin started the game with a strong 12-pitch first inning which allowed him to go longer than previous games, but he still had trouble during his third time through the opponent’s lineup. Still, it was an encouraging start for the righty auditioning for a spot in the 2014 rotation.

Luis Garcia took the mound in eighth inning and coughed up 2 runs on 2 singles and 2 walks before being yanked for Jake Diekman. After a strikeout to record the second out, Diekman was called for a balk on an odd play during Nolan Arenado‘s at bat. Arenado seemed to shiver after Carlos Ruiz moved behind the plate and Jake Diekman thought time had been called. It had not, and after a short argument by the new Phillies skipper, Diekman recovered quickly to strikeout Arenado with a 99-mph fastball. The drama of the eighth inning certainly energized the CBP crowd of 35,000+. Jonathan Papelbon pitched the ninth, earning his 21st save on the season and first since July 11. Unfortunately during the inning, Carlos Ruiz took a hard pitch off the facemask.

Tyler Cloyd makes his return to the Phillies to start tomorrow at 7:05pm.

August 19, 2013 at 10:41 pm

The balk was a ridiculous call. Diekman keeps showing signs he could be quite good. Wells finally gives them a right fielder that can run. It’s too bad he can’t hit his weight, but I’d still rather have him than Delmon.

• Keith

August 19, 2013 at 11:42 pm

Ridiculous but actually correct. One of the oddest plays I’ve ever seen.

• Lefty

August 20, 2013 at 11:27 pm

I don’t believe so, and neither do Sandberg or Dubee.

“Sandberg and Joyce continued the conversation between innings with the ump saying he would look into the issue. Meanwhile, Sandberg and pitching coach Rich Dubee checked the rule book where it explicitly states that a balk could not be called if a pitcher is getting ready to deliver a pitch and the hitter steps out of the box, according to Sandberg.”

Sandberg also said-
        “My next thing is, I’ve got to talk to my hitters. We’ve got to do that with a man on third base. Everybody should do that. That’s a run scored. That’s a run-scoring opportunity, if that’s the case.”

2. Bob D

August 19, 2013 at 10:51 pm

Wells can run and throw and catch, the trouble is the hitting. He has not looked good in just a few games. I forsee most of bench being replaced this offseason: Mayberry, Wells, MiniMart, McDowell, and maybe even Kratz. I think we may see Ruiz back for one more year, which he maybe the best right handed catcher available. Lets see if Rupp gets a Sept callup to see if he can step in.

3. Jaron B

August 19, 2013 at 10:59 pm

I have high hopes for Diekman and De Fratus. I’d like to see less speed for more control on Jake’s fastball. De Fratus has been dominant over the past couple of months.

4. Chuck A.

August 20, 2013 at 7:14 am

@Bob D – MiniMart WILL be back next year. He’s survived this long so why not. Plus, that was probably part of the deal Charlie made with Ruben last week…

Ruben: I want to make a change, Charlie. Your contract won’t be renewed at the end of the season and, since we’re so far out of it and in 4th place, I want Ryne to manage the the remaining 42 games. You know…see what he can do.

Charlie: Ok, Ruben. I don’t like the decision. I mean you’re taking away from me the best seat in the house. But I’ll go peacefully and not make a stink as long as you keep my boy, Michael Martinez, in the fold. You know…he can play real good.

Ruben: Sounds like a plan Charlie. I think I’m going to sign him to a long-term deal this coming winter. Thanks for the input. See…that’s why I want you to remain with the organization.

Charlie: No problem, Ruben. You should definitely do that. Because he can play real good

5. betasigmadeltashag

August 20, 2013 at 10:41 am

My question is do any of you agree that an outfield next year of BROWN-REVERE-RUFF with JMJ as your 4th outfielder win more games next year? I think Ruff should play left and Brown in right but I think Ruff has shown he can play we’ll enough and hit with some power. My concern is if Ashe is an every day 3rd basemen that gives you 5 lefties assuming Howard plays 1st everyday

• Ken Bland

August 20, 2013 at 11:05 am

That threesome passes for a major league offensive unit. Not necessarily one of the better ones, but it’s not terrible. Brown, I could see being a long term Phillie, the other 2, I’d keep my eyes open to other possibilities.

It’s asking a lot to trust that allignment defensively over the course of a year. That’s an attention grabber.

I don’t know what’s so special about Mayberry that I’d go out of my way to keep him. If he does comes back, it’s not the end of the world, but it’s not like he’s been some super sub..

Any way you look at it, the lefty deal is some degree of concern, but I’m more concerned with guys hitting than the matchup. Jimmy’d be a righty hitter against lefties, and you can’t have another year like this year. I’m hoping Asche is ready to hit MLB pitching without another full year of finding his way.

So no, I don’t think that outfield is close to a source of confidence of being able to compete next year

• Lefty

August 20, 2013 at 11:27 am

I agree, they’re competent, but not necessarily awe inspiring. I’m a big fan of Sin Soo Choo myself, I’d love to see them snag him in FA. 4 years at 60 looks to be the asking price, it’s high, but he’s really good.

And then we don’t have to read Andrew droning over and over about Jimmy batting lead off. On Sunday Choo went 2-2 with 3 (yes I typed 3) walks and scored a run.

• Chuck A.

August 20, 2013 at 12:40 pm

Yeah, but Lefty…..Ruben says that he doesn’t care about walks. Remember??

• schmenkman

August 20, 2013 at 1:10 pm

I think that walks comment by Amaro has been overblown. From what I recall, he was talking specifically about D.Young, and what he was looking for from DY. If there are times when he was talking about walks more generally, I don’t remember them.

• George

August 20, 2013 at 1:20 pm

I agree Schmenkman, and I’ll add that a lot of other Amaro quotes have been taken out of context and overblown.

He’s not a great orator, though, and somewhat nonspecific, so the press and the fans will jump all over even his most benign comments.

• Carlos Danger

August 20, 2013 at 1:50 pm

I always love when he says that he knows his players are good because of the “back of their baseball cards”. He’s used that at least three times this season alone.

• schmenkman

August 20, 2013 at 2:10 pm

The “back of the baseball card” is just another way of saying “what a player has already shown they are capable of”. Unless we are talking about the distant past (or about an unusual year, like Delmon’s 2010), that is a perfectly reasonable way to set expectations about how a player should perform.

• Lefty

August 20, 2013 at 6:52 pm

I think the Philly press has been soft on Ruben Amaro Jr. We think of our press as being as tough as New York, but they’re not. Why hasn’t he been grilled when he makes these “faux pas” type statements?

The National guys pick right up on it, but no one here “presses” him for answers as to why he would say “he doesn’t care about walks, he cares about production”. If they did, he might explain himself, and probably retract his statements. Instead the statements are allowed to sit out there for blogs and -commentariat- to chew over.

Chuck A. and Beta – that word was for you, I don’t think the others in this thread were around at the time to get the meaning behind it. 🙂

6. betasigmadeltashag

August 20, 2013 at 1:41 pm

Did Revere’s performance before getting hurt not solidify him as a legit major league hitter with admitadly no power who’s speed can still learn to run better routes on a ball? Are you talking about So Choo as a right fielder cause with Revers arm he can’t play right. I know I asked the question but I think Ruff can be a 280 hitter with 30+ HRS and a decent ob% and OBS

• Carlos Danger

August 20, 2013 at 1:54 pm

I’d say that the Utley extension pretty much eliminates the Phillies going after any lefthanded batting FA, but Amaro has been known to work in mysterious ways.

7. Hogey's Role

August 20, 2013 at 2:43 pm

If you have ruf revere Brown, asche Rollins Utley Howard, the only real spot we have to fill is catcher,I think Ruiz returns next year, I’d like one of our younger catchers to step up and take over with Ruiz as a back up but we’ll just wait and see….

The bullpen needs a big time overhaul, papelbon, bastardo, Adams, diekman,de fratus I think should be a safe bet…. who else beyond that Idk….

The bench also should be overhauled, frandsen and Mayberry will be back, I’d like to see us pick up giambi as a lefty pinch hitter and a dh in our interleague games, maybe Cesar Hernandez as the utility guy??

• c. schreiber

August 20, 2013 at 8:52 pm

Giambi???? WTF, why not sign Jose Canseco. Jesus Christ , Giambi!!!!!

• George

August 21, 2013 at 6:46 am

As for the bullpen, I don’t think Adams is even close to being a safe bet with the shoulder problems he’s had this year.

• Hogey's Role

August 21, 2013 at 7:02 am

I agree George I guess I meant he’s more or less guaranteed a spot because he’s making like 6 million, it’s unlikely they will cut him

• Hogey's Role

August 21, 2013 at 7:15 am

and yes giambi… you need a power threat off the bench and he will come fairly cheap, and on top of that he’s a very good clubhouse guy