Analysis

Phillies Nation TV: Trade Deadline Special

Pat and Corey cover the 2013 Phillies trade deadline that never was – and even discuss the merits of moving the deadline back a couple of weeks in August. They also offer thoughts on who might still be traded in August or the off-season. One guy who will not be traded, is the newly acquired Miguel Alfredo Gonzalez who the guys will introduce you to as well. We have some exclusive footage of him fanning batters in Cuba.

Ryann sits down with Ellen Barkann, of the Barkann Family Foundation, to talk about what she and Michael are doing in the community – including a big event coming up in September at the Zoo called The Day Philly Remembers.  And as always, your questions and comments are presented by BQ Basement Systems. We even have a few extra fan tweets in there, see if yours made the cut.

1. Pamikedc

August 2, 2013 at 3:25 pm

Zack Miner called up. Petitbone to 15 day DL.

DUECES to Jc Ramirez

• Alex M.

August 2, 2013 at 3:38 pm

Yea the hits just keep on coming, this puts question on who will be in the pen since they now have 6 starters on the roster. Miner can be a reliever but has been much better as a starter this season. While I think it is good that Ramirez got the boot they need to toss Valdes too, Robles and Jiminez deserve a shot and they are both pitching well in AAA.

August 2, 2013 at 4:34 pm

I’m reading that Petitone had dead arm. Not surprising, he probably never threw this much with this kind of pressure and intensity in his life. He’ll probably be okay. The Ramirez move surprises me just a little, but I guess they felt he didn’t have what it takes.

Good luck to Zach Miner.

• Alex M.

August 2, 2013 at 4:44 pm

Lefty, I was actually thinking maybe they will consider shutting Pettibone down at some point this season. Not yet since even last season he threw 160 innings, but I think it could be an option if they want to make sure he does not over do it. But I am really confused with the Zach Minor call up he has not pitched well in relief so if your not going to start him then why call him up? Honestly i guess he might have been the only option, but then why not stick with Ramirez? Mike MacDougal will be the next reliever to be called up probably. If this season continues to implode I wonder if the Phillies would consider calling up Mike Nesseth the closer for Reading. He has been strong in that role and since he is not really a prospect it would not hurt to gamble and see how he fairs in the majors.

• Lefty

August 2, 2013 at 5:06 pm

I guess because of both the Lee and Petitbone injuries, they felt they needed two new starters. I think they do plan to use Miner as a starter. I don’t know off hand when his last start was, but I think we may see him Saturday afternoon. Circumstances make it look like they have to throw the guy in there for his first start on a Fox National TV day. No pressure 🙂

• Alex M.

August 2, 2013 at 5:19 pm

No it sounds like Minor is going right to the pen for the Phils, Lannan is starting on 3 days rest tomorrow and Lee is pitching on sunday. This just sums up how bad this team is, especially the bullpen. Having a player that has been starting and pitching much better in that role for AAA and having to bring him up for the bullpen because you have no other righthanded relief options.

• Lefty

August 2, 2013 at 5:29 pm

Really? Why would they do that then? Yesterday I was ignorant, today I’m just confused. 🙂

The MLB site is showing tomorrow as TBD, and Sunday as Lannan.

• Alex M.

August 2, 2013 at 6:15 pm

Ryan Lawrence reported today on Twitter that they were going to use Lannan on short rest (something he has never done in his career) and that Lee would then pitch sunday. I am as confused as you are, I would much rather see Minor pitch tomorrow, then Lannan saturday and Lee Monday. It would give lee time to rest, plus we are out of the race what is the point in making Lannan pitch on short rest?

3. Jaron B

August 2, 2013 at 4:57 pm

I agree w/ Pat and Corey: give teams until the 2nd Friday after 7/31 at 5 PM instead of 4 PM 7/31. This year, that’d be Aug. 9th.