2013 Gameday

Gameday: Phillies (62-75) v. Nationals (69-67)

Philadelphia Phillies (62-73)
at Washinton Nationals (69-67)

Cole Hamels (6-13, 3.58 ERA) vs RHP Stephen Strasburg (6-9, 2.96 ERA)

TIME: 7:05 ET, Citizens Bank Park
Comcast SportsNet
Weather: 80, Clear
Media: Twitter and Facebook

The red-hot Washington Nationals, winners of nine of 12, including a come-from-behind win against the Mets last night, square off against the Fightin’ Phils, who are now 9-8 after appointing Ryne Sandberg interim manager. The Nats send ace Stephen Strasburg to the hill in an attempt to stay just 6.5 back of second Wild Card leader Cincinnati, who defeated St. Louis earlier.

The line-up tonight features Cesar Hernandez starting in center in his first game back with the Phillies after his recall and a nights off for Darin Ruf and Cody Asche. Pete Orr is at third base. None of the September call-ups are in tonight’s line-up.

Lineup: Hernandez CF , Rollins SS, Utley 2B, Ruiz C, Frandsen 1B, Orr 3B, Mayberry LF, Bernadina RF, Hamels P

Gameday Beer:Miller High Life

In support of organized labor on this Labor Day, we present a union-made beer: Miller High Life. High Life is a cost-effective alternative to higher-priced brews that goes down easy, made for the everyman. And for this Phillies line-up, composed almost entirely of everyman-level players, it is very much appropriate.

1. Bart Shart

September 2, 2013 at 7:49 pm

Poor Hamels. He has a genuinely crappy lineup behind him— Peter Orr, Hernandez, Bernadina, Mayberry and Hamels will bat. All five are weak hitters. Why aren’t Ruf and Asche in the lineup. Seems like Sandberg wants Hamels to lose. Poor Hamels — another night with poor support.

2. "Big Ed" Delahanty

September 2, 2013 at 7:52 pm

Very interesting article over at the goodphight.com, for rating Rube’s performance:

• Ken Bland

September 2, 2013 at 7:58 pm

Did you see my reply to your message about the cousin who’s a surgeon? Really would like you to read it, if not, I’ll find it and copy it over here.

• "Big Ed" Delahanty

September 2, 2013 at 8:18 pm

I did not because I have been very busy, buy I will check it out. Thanks! : )

• Ken Bland

September 2, 2013 at 8:30 pm

In essence, what I said was I thought it was great that you had a chance to talk to what I’m taking as a credible opinion, as opposed to some internet rap. And I certainly see you’re reasoning for using the word massive now.

And I’m keenly aware this might be an infringement on your time, but I get tired of amateur opinions on this shoulder deal with Doc. And I’m aware that even doctors will be guessing, Father Time is the only vote that counts, but maybe you can offer more detail on what the cousin thinks, timewise, where he should be right now, anything that might be important.

I find myself agreeing with Bob Brrookover that if he’s not showing anything by the end of September, you have to move on, ven though he still could be whatever he’s gonna be on the upside. I guess what I’m wondering is the cousin’s view on how patient we should be.

Even if we get nothing else, I enjoyed the read.

3. Bart Shart

September 2, 2013 at 8:06 pm

Ed, the article you pointed out correctly substantiates that Ruben Amaro, Jr., is indeed the worst general manager in baseball. Worst by far. An excellent article. Thanks

• "Big Ed" Delahanty

September 2, 2013 at 8:20 pm

Thanks, Bart. I’m glad you liked it. I wish it was an article about the Phils in a playoff race this year instead.

4. Hogey's Role

September 2, 2013 at 8:21 pm

Personally I see this September as try outs for next year, Hernandez should see alot of playing time along with Rupp, I’d try to give them as much playing time as possible to see if they can help next year, if they are ready…

Brown revere Rollins Utley Howard and likely asche are guaranteed spots next year so there are holes at either left or right field, and at catcher…. Idk if they view ruf as an everyday player or not, so that’s why I’d definitely try to play Rupp as much as possible and see if he can step in at catcher or if we’ll have to look into f.a. or a trade…. I think saltalamacchia is available in f.a. this year he’s about the only catcher I would entertain….

• hk

September 2, 2013 at 8:29 pm

I’d like to see them target Saltalamacchia, but for some reason I expect to see Chooch as the starting C again next year. I sure hope they use September for tryouts and to rest their older players like Utley, Rollins and Ruiz. If they are truly interested in seeing if Hernandez can play OF, he should start in CF just about every day from here on out. Galvis should also start just about every day at either 2B, SS or 3B.

• Hogey's Role

September 2, 2013 at 8:34 pm

i like chooch I just think it’d be wise to not resign him when we could possibly have someone younger and maybe better… I would like chooch as a backup though, but I wanna see what Rupp can do now…

5. Ken Bland

September 2, 2013 at 8:22 pm

Looks like the Phils have now scored 2 runs against Strasburg in 21 innings this year.

One of their better results against an individual this year.

6. "Big Ed" Delahanty

September 2, 2013 at 8:56 pm

I appreciate your reply and comment. I will definitely ask him when I see him an let you know. It has been something that has my curiosity stoked – can he do all that they have said with his arm slot, control, and slight increase in velocity? Then again, Roy would probably glare at his shoulder and scare it back to normal. Lol.

7. Ken Bland

September 2, 2013 at 8:58 pm

7 in the books on 87 pitches, 69 strikes, and the ERA down and dwindling to a flat 3.5.

And off something like a 120 pitch effort last time out.

All 4 (3?) starts since we examined lower targets on his ERA have met the minimum standard.

Nice little second half for The Cool One.

8. Ken Bland

September 2, 2013 at 9:32 pm

Did a little bouncing around the web here taking a look at Saltalamachia for next year. Hadn’t thought much about him. Time breakdown was half of it typing in the name, half scanning through some 3rd party opinions

No firm opinions out of the reading exercise, but at his age, and the Cubs timeline, I suspect the Cubs and Theo might have some kind of inside track. Not a diverse, deep market for sure, and when Theo is ready to make his move, be it next year, or 2-3 years out, although it’s actually Jed, not Theo, they will be super aggressive and almost assuredly get who they want.

Would a player leave the Red Sox for the Phillies? It would seem like you’d have to overpay to get that done at this point.

I can’t believe the guy pitching in BJ Rosenberg’s uni is the same guy from the last couple years. He’s performed at about 319% better than I expected..

9. "Big Ed" Delahanty

September 2, 2013 at 9:47 pm

Did JRoll just work an eight hit at bat, then hit a run scoring double?! Holy! Nice play!

• Lefty

September 2, 2013 at 10:19 pm

That was a quality AB for Jimmy. Good one by Hernandez to work the walk too. And Choooch does it like the old days.

10. "Big Ed" Delahanty

September 2, 2013 at 9:53 pm

11. Pamikedc

September 2, 2013 at 10:16 pm

Winner winner chicken….(where ya at AFW)….

Pap had me nervous. Good come from behind W!

• Lefty

September 2, 2013 at 10:20 pm

I was encouraged that Paps was actually hitting his spots more consistently tonight- especially when he really had to against Ramos.

12. Ken Bland

September 2, 2013 at 10:31 pm

I really hate to validate Mike Schmidt’s infamous line about Philly being the one place you can enjoy the thrill of victory one night, and the agony of it the next morning, but while the sentiment should be to enjoy the win, something does come to mind that hardly should, but does kinda bug me even though next year is so far off.

Jimmy did some wonderful things to finalize the value of that winning rally..Extending the at bat was great, ripped a pitch, and excellent baserunning got the lead run across the plate. For all the fundamental mistakes this year’s club has made, good fundamental baserunning was good to see.

So it’s a very nice win. And Jimmy, career to date, is a streaky player. Or at least career to this year. Take his good play late in the game, at 35 next year, and how consistently can he do it. Multiply that by about 4 other guys his age in somewhat of a similar circumstance, and it kinda takes the wind out of it.

Maybe it’s a mountain out of a molehill, just an in the moment reaction, but for whatever reason, but for some reason, I can’t get too excited about tonight’s win. It feels silly, I just don’t know that it is.