Gameday: Phillies (63-76) vs Nationals (70-68) – Phillies Nation
2013 Gameday

Gameday: Phillies (63-76) vs Nationals (70-68)

Philadelphia Phillies (63-76) at Washinton Nationals (70-68)

Roy Halladay (3-4, 7.94) v Jordan Zimmerman (15-8, 3.33)

TIME: 7:05 ET, Citizens Bank Park
TV:
Comcast SportsNet
Weather: 70’s, Clear
Media: Twitter and Facebook

To tell you the truth, I’m pretty nervous about Roy Halladay’s start tonight. He’s coming off a game against the Cubs where he gave up five runs in as many innings, but it could’ve been much worse. I fear that it might be worse tonight.

Opposing him will be Jordan Zimmerman, and he’s been pretty good this year. He’s sporting a 15-8 record with a 3.33 ERA.

Lineup: Hernandez CF, Rollins SS, Utley 2B, Ruiz C, Ruf 1B, Asche 3B, Mayberry LF, Bernadina RF, Halladay P

Your gameday beer: Anchor Steam Liberty Ale

A special top-fermenting ale yeast is used during fermentation and is responsible for many of Liberty Ale’s subtle flavors and characteristics. Carbonation is produced by an entirely natural process called “bunging,” which produces champagne-like bubbles. Enjoy with some steaks on the grill for today’s game.
– Pat

Go Phillies!

1. Andrew From Waldorf

September 4, 2013 at 7:38 pm

Enough with the Halladay.

Its painful to watch.

The Nats announcers are basically ridiculing him.

Hes not giving you a better than to win than someone else would.

And I hope hes not here next year unless he is a one year deal between 1-2 million.

Hes going to take the ball.

someone else has to tell him no.

Wish him the best and hes first ballot HOF IMO

no matter what

• Lefty

September 4, 2013 at 8:07 pm

The difference of the life on Doc’s pitches compared to Zimmermann’s, compared to old CY Roy, is just – sad. Father time is cruel.

• Hogey's Role

September 4, 2013 at 8:19 pm

I assume control will be one of the last things to come back for halladay… we aren’t in a playoff race so who cares who runs out there to start…

Hopefully Roy will keep working hard and get his control back because it’s rare for doc halladay to walk anyone let alone 4 in one game.. he is struggling but if anyone can work through it, I’d bet on Roy…

Good luck to the good doctor, I’ll welcome you back for next year sir

September 4, 2013 at 8:08 pm

I like Cesar Hernandez’ approach at the plate. I’m hopeful he can be a decent hitter. But I’m not sure he has the arm for CF yet. We’ll see I guess.

• Hogey's Role

September 4, 2013 at 9:03 pm

I think he’ll be a good hitter… I think he’s only temporary in center til revere gets back, so we really won’t have a spot for him

• PhillyMike

September 4, 2013 at 9:08 pm

I really do like Hernandez. I just wonder where he would play next year. Maybe in right field? There doesn’t seem to be another position open.

For all of the criticism of the Phil’s farm system, it does appear that we have a few kids with real potential.

• schmenkman

September 4, 2013 at 9:24 pm

Utility – 2nd base and outfield?

• Hogey's Role

September 4, 2013 at 9:27 pm

i think utility is probably where he’ll end up, but he might be better than that though

3. Andrew From Waldorf

September 4, 2013 at 8:50 pm

OK

I made that post after the 26 itches and 4 walks in the first.

Thank you for pitching well Doc.

Keep an eye on him Ryne.

Try to nurse him to a win if you can.

I need this. Mets already won.

4. PhillyMike

September 4, 2013 at 9:04 pm

In 2 of 3 games since he came back, Doc got by on guile. In the middle of the three, he did not. One thing we do know – Doc is giving it 110%. I really appreciate that he gave us everything he had.

5. wbramh

September 4, 2013 at 9:44 pm

Well that was a first in my 65 years on Earth.
    No one on the field or either dugout seemed to know there were three outs – a few umps included.
    I’m sure the late throw to 2nd put doubt in everyone’s mind since it was more apparent than the 3rd out on a strikeout that preceded it – but still a funny moment.

6. Andrew From Waldorf

September 4, 2013 at 10:01 pm

Who taught or condones head first sliding?

Didn’t Utley get hurt doing it before even?

• wbramh

September 4, 2013 at 10:09 pm

3 years ago he jammed is thumb on a head first slide into 2nd.
      I believe that was the last incident but I’m not sure.
      Considering how hard he plays I’m surprised he isn’t laid up after every game from one thing or another.

• G7

September 4, 2013 at 10:23 pm

Charley Hustle..great slide by Rollins Monday and Utley tonight..can’t go feet first there because you need to slide away from tag.

• c. schreiber

September 4, 2013 at 10:55 pm

B S, its called a hookslide. If he hooked to the first base side of home he’ll never get tagged from where that catcher was coming from.

• wbramh

September 4, 2013 at 11:00 pm

Head first was the instinctively smart move but by chance Utley may have had a better shot at scoring had he avoided sliding and attempted to hop over the tag if necessary since the catcher was on the ground and could only lunge rather than swipe. But Utley had no way to predict that in mid-flight and it still would have been close play. Of course, had Utley been tagged out standing up everybody would have wondered why he didn’t slide.
        Just a great defensive play.

• G7

September 5, 2013 at 6:49 am

Hook slide is another option, but I don’t think he gets in either way..great play by the catcher!

7. wbramh

September 4, 2013 at 10:37 pm

I’m sure Steve Carlton has less gas at 68 than he might need to return to the game but I get the feeling he would still do a better job of keeping runners from stealing bases than any of the Phillies pitching hopefuls. Plus, he’d still lead the staff on pick-off plays (even with a few questionable balks called in between).