Phillies Ad Sign Will Remain — But Why?

Damn, that’s ugly.

File this under Things I Don’t Get. The Phillies have announced they’ll lower the ugly ad sign tower that remains from the Veterans Stadium days — you know, the one that obstructs the view of the city skyline when looking past Ashburn Alley.

The barely-functioning eye sore will go from 157 feet to 115 feet and will become a 2-sided message board, according to the Inquirer. The question is, why? That thing is just damn ugly and really serves no purpose other, or at least hasn’t in many years. I guess, like anything else, it comes down to money. The Phillies see an opportunity to make a few bucks by putting new advertisements on it.

If they want to make a few more, they should secure it and run tours up to the top of it for $10 a pop. I wouldn’t go, but I’m sure a few tailgaters would have a ball.

1. Chuck A.

September 25, 2013 at 11:28 am

Maybe I’m in the minority but I actually like that sign.

• Angelo

September 26, 2013 at 11:27 am

I’m with you my friend, I like that sign as well.

2. Bob D

September 25, 2013 at 12:32 pm

Get me a parachute….

September 25, 2013 at 1:24 pm

Maybe they really have to make more ad money, with all those patches of blue in the stands.

• George

September 25, 2013 at 2:22 pm

The sign is no uglier than the miles of ugly cars below it or the haze and ugly skyscrapers above it. It’s also no more stupid than that imbecilic “Rocky” statue elsewhere in Philadelphia.

• Hogey's Role

September 25, 2013 at 3:42 pm

I love the rocky statue that’s awesome…. I don’t care either way about the sign though

4. bigdaddy

September 25, 2013 at 2:39 pm

I agree that SIGN is UGLY against the attractive, downtown, Philadelphia skyline. Somebody is making money keeping that sign in existence

5. Andrew From Waldorf

September 25, 2013 at 3:45 pm

Just how bad are the Phillies?

Its September 25th and they are officially behind the New York Mets.
    Check the standings.

The Mets came into this year wit a projected rotation of Santana, Harvey, Marcum,, Niese, and Gee.

Needless to say that didn’t happen.

They traded Dickey in the off season.
    Ike Davis was demoted to the minors.

The Mets traded Byrd and Buck their only 2 major league hitters ( when Wright is hurt).

Wright was out for significant amounts of time.

They wont even use Wright now to pinch hit for fear of injury. They want him in a game and warmed up if he is playing.

Parnell their closer goes down in july.
    they turn to LaTroy Hawkins to close.
    Yes that LaTroy Hawkins.

Todays Mets line up reads. Eric young, Justin Turner, Daniel Murphy, Lucas Duda, , Juan Lagares, Mike Baxter, Juan Centeno, Wilfredo Tovar, Dice K.

The Mets have 30 million in salary liabilities in 2014. With the only 2 names of note being Wright and Niese.

They have not tried to contend or win or really anything.

They you have the Phillies who have over 35 million locked up in just Rollins and Howard next year. Who have basically hoarded all the old guys. Michel Young not with standing.

The level of this disgrace cannot really be put into words.

You are going to have a worse record then the Mets team I just described.
    You have the 3rd highest pay roll in the majors.

To continue to support this team under that scenario to me says you are NOT a fan.

To accept this is not acceptable to me.

September 25th.

Go check the standings.

Thanks Ruben.

You are going to ruin major league baseball for me.

Just resign.

• frank

September 25, 2013 at 4:08 pm

Not trying to be rude at all, but why are you so obsessed with the mets. They possibly are better than the Phil’s this year. I think next year, the mets are far above us.

• Lefty Carlton

September 25, 2013 at 6:32 pm

Add Daniel Murphy to their ML hitters. i’d rather have him than Utley.

• schmenkman

September 25, 2013 at 6:57 pm

Some day/year Murphy will proobably be better than Utley, but maybe not before he gets expensive.

6. Andrew From Waldorf

September 25, 2013 at 4:22 pm

Sadly Frank you are correct.

I was hoping that for one last year. With the Mets intentionally not trying to win games or contend that the third highest pay roll in the sport might finish one game ahead of them.

It didn’t happen.

7. George

September 25, 2013 at 10:43 pm

Saying the Mets aren’t trying to win is possibly the most ridiculous statement I’ve heard from anyone who isn’t a congressman.

8. Andrew From Waldorf

September 26, 2013 at 12:11 am

They traded Byrd and Buck.

They added no one.

The organization traded Dickey before the season.

If they were trying to win/contend this season is a bit of a stretch.

Not saying they are tanking games.

But they have had Latroy Hawkins closing.

They aren’t trying to be good at all.
    They didn’t intend to finish ahead of baseballs 3rd highest pay roll

Oh well Brad Hand beat 8-16 Cole hamels tonight.

Hes only owed about another 160 million.

I looked at all the contracts tonight and its really a shame.

After this year I will no longer follow as long as Ruben is the GM.
    I will not support them until he is gone.

• George

September 26, 2013 at 9:12 am

I’m not even sure why I’m responding to your nonsense about the Mets. Byrd and Buck were adequate at best, and Byrd is on the downside of his career. Dickey was old and predictably has had a lousy season. The Mets alredy had Harvey and Wheeler was on his way, and had no need for an expensive rotation relic. They had a very promising catcher ready to replace Buck. Maybe they weren’t going to contend this year, but they’ve certainly made needed changes in order to contend in the future, possibly as soon as 2014.

The only thing your comments might show is that sometimes it’s neccessary to dump certain fringe players in order to build a better team. It DOES NOT show that the Phils are horrible for losing to a bad team when said team is so obviously on the upswing. And just possibly, the Phils’ losses are indicative of the fact that they, too, are finally replacing some fringe pieces with younger replacements who haven’t hit their peaks yet; players like Ruf, Asche, Rupp, Hernandez, Revere, and Galvis.

• rellis

September 26, 2013 at 2:02 pm

Not to nit pick but when did Cole Hamels lose 16 games?

9. joycedaffodil

September 26, 2013 at 7:38 am

I think the answer here is to AVOID all things Phillie until Rubin goes the way of the sign. His management is so pathetic. In the business world his annual performance rating would be so poor he would be escorted to the door and his possessions packed up and mailed to him.

However, look at Rubin’s career as a baseball player, those stats are dismal.

• Hogey's Role

September 26, 2013 at 9:35 am

His playing career has nothing to do with his career as a gm… Some people understand the business side of baseball better then they can actually play it…. Billy beane was actually a 5 tool can’t miss prospect that never actually reached his potential, yet he’s actually one of the better gm’s in baseball, I’m not saying this is the case with Ruben or am I sticking up for Ruben, I’m just saying that his playing career has no direct correlation to him being a general manager of a baseball team….

• George

September 26, 2013 at 12:24 pm

True, indeed. And one might make a case for a lot of successful field managers who had really rotten careers as players.

The opposite is sometimes also true: HOF players sometimes can’t manage worth a crap, be it on the field or in the front office. The skills required are totally different, and it’s rare few who have what it takes to be great players and great executives.

Of course, it’s possible that Amaro has no skills for either…

• Hogey's Role

September 26, 2013 at 1:43 pm

Yeah that is very much a possibility, George…

It’ll be interesting to see how ryne will so managing…

• Hogey's Role

September 26, 2013 at 1:44 pm

Yeah that is very much a possibility, George…

It’ll be interesting to see how ryne will do managing…

10. George

September 26, 2013 at 4:25 pm

Here’s a theory on why that ugly sign is being kept. It’s to commemorate this ugly 2013 season.