Phillies Give Sandberg Three Year Extension

Ryne Sandberg will be sticking around for the next three seasons, possibly more.

The Phillies removed the interim tag from Sandberg’s title, giving him a three-year contract with a fourth-year team option. It is Sandberg’s first managerial job in the major leagues after spending several years working his way up through the minors within the Cubs and Phillies system.

Sandberg, 53, was named interim manager of the Phillies on August 16.  Since then, the team has posted an 18-16 (.529) record.  He began the 2013 season as the Phillies third base coach. This year is his third in the Phillies organization, having served the first two as the manager for triple-A Lehigh Valley, where he went 155-132 (.540) and led the team to their first playoff appearance.

It’s the move we all saw coming. Some were wondering whether Mike Scoscia could be a fit in Philadelphia should he be let go by the struggling Angels, but you can toss that one out the window. Sandberg has earned his keep and will be given an opportunity to lead a group of up and comers he taught during his time with Lehigh Valley.

1. Andrew From Waldorf

September 22, 2013 at 2:39 pm

3rd highest payroll in the majors???

I am sweating a better record bet with the Mets on September 22??

Extending and reloading on the same????

If somehow this means I don’t have to watch Jimmy pop up 700 times next year I will sign on.

• Ken Bland

September 22, 2013 at 2:54 pm

From the unimportant news department, and hardly worth a mention…

As a side note to your bet reference, in losing the 1st 2 games of this series, and now reducing this to a 5 inning game, the Phils are dangerously close to giving the Mets a realistic shot at brushing aside those that wagered under on their season win total. At least the number of 73.5 that I’m aware of as the line.

• wbramh

September 23, 2013 at 7:00 am

And they called me delusional back in April when I suggested the Mets could finish ahead of the Phils.

• Ken Bland

September 23, 2013 at 11:17 am

Knowing my vocab, and general dislike for standings predictions over the long haul, I’d bet I was either thee one that called you delusional, or on a short list of same.

And it’s been entertaining to see the 2-3 times the Mets have gotten close, or past the Phils that you are right there to remind us of this prediction.

Sounds like you’re just dying to have the prediction blessed.

Sounds like I’m more curious to see what you offer on the subject if the Phils eek out a margin in this important race.

So far, I can say this with certainty. It’s been more than 1 season that Terry Collins seems to have overseen no quit play in his club through a losing season toward the end. That’s a good thing to watch as one is reduced to groping for watching a non successful season. And they’ve shown signs of looking at their future with some degree of inspiration. Their pen’s done better than expected in H2, and if 3rd was a motivation (iffy), they beat the Phils head on when it counted. So they are closer than I’d have expected. But I still hope Andrew wins his bet.

• wbramh

September 24, 2013 at 3:01 am

Ken, you were not the only one to suggest I was delusional when I predicted the Mets “could” (not would) finish ahead of the Phils. In fact, I began to think I was delusional myself for even thinking it possible because the fall would have been almost too ugly to imagine.
        Maybe it’s because I’ve lived long enough to see the scenario before. Ten years here – twenty years there is baseball purgatory. No doubt I’m more critical than post fans but I’m running out of years on Earth to see another championship.
        My grandfather died the night the Whiz Kids clinched the pennant. My father died just hours before the ’76 team won their division. Time is short.

2. Ken Bland

September 22, 2013 at 2:41 pm

Maybe a little surprised by the 4th year option. It wouldn’t have surprised me if Ryno had to fight for the third year, although Ruben did say at the initial presser he wanted someone who could manage the Phils for 4,5,6 years.

So we reverse course on Charlie’s last contract. Now, the manager’s deal is longer than the GMs. What that means, probably nothing, but it’s a fact.

3. Morris Buttermaker

September 22, 2013 at 5:44 pm

By the Phillies standard, a guy with 3 years in the organization qualifies as fresh blood.

Obviously this news injected the players with a fresh sense of urgency and vigor that was evident in today’s game.

• schmenkman

September 22, 2013 at 5:54 pm

The sarcasm is clear, but obviously even if true, it’s tough to look urgent and vigorous when you can’t hit, field, or pitch too well.

• Morris Buttermaker

September 22, 2013 at 10:05 pm

He should have benched Rollins after the base “running” gaffe.

Another 4 years of the same old, same old.

• schmenkman

September 22, 2013 at 10:57 pm

I have to agree that the managing for the next four years is likely to be very much like the last 9.

But if he benched players for everything you seem to think he should, everyone would get a whole lot more rest.

4. Ken Bland

September 22, 2013 at 6:05 pm

This is real spaghetti against the wall, but I wonder if Andre Dawson might not cross Sandberg’s mind as a staff candidate. For all I know, The Hawk might have 0 interest in the position, but a chance to work with his former, and seemingly mutuall appreciated teammate, and crack the coaching ranks might be of interest.

Not that he’d bw brought on as a first ever outfield coach, but the man played right field real well, and outfield defense remains a weak spot. Course you need skills to be brought out, but that’s besides the point.

It’s not like a full coaching staff is going to be hired. Openings may well be minimal. But I suspect The Hawk could have some positive and meaningful lessons to communicate if he chose to contribute in that area.

At one time, it was hard to imagine Davey Lopes wearing Phils attire

• wbramh

September 23, 2013 at 6:50 am

Or they could simply find three guys who can hit and field and aren’t injury prone by age 23.
      The last prerequisite rules out Stanton even if he were to become available,

But the team needs power bats. Guys who can drive in 3 or 4 runs with one swing.
      I don’t see how they could not put Franco at 3rd or 1st next season if he shows anything in Spring training. Even without a stop in triple A I bet he’d drive in 90 RBI putting him on par with Dom Brown.

Why must all Phillies rookies be 26 years old before they’re (maybe) given a shot on the major league level? DiMaggio, Mays, Mantle, Frank Robinson, Ashburn, Kaline, Bench, Ripken, Gooden, Rodriguez, Pujols, Harper, Fernandez, Stanton, Heyward and more – not just major leaguers but all-stars by age 22 (most by age 21).

Maikel Franco is already 23. I’m sure some among the Phillies’ brain trust think he’s coming up too fast as it is and needs time in triple A which would make him at least 24 or 25 before he gets his first shot to make a club that stinks. Bring him up this April and be more patient than they were with Dom Brown and the power and average-hitting Franco is likely to drive in 90 RBI as a rookie. If he did half that well over at least 150 games he’d still be a better RBI producer than Jimmy Rollins.

• schmenkman

September 23, 2013 at 7:54 am

Franco isn’t 23, he turned 21 less than a month ago.

Where does this idea that the Phillies don’t bring up players fast enough come from?

5. Hogey's Role

September 22, 2013 at 9:45 pm

Great move by the Phillies, give Sandburg some confidence going into the offseason preparing for next year… hopefully we can keep losing and secure our top ten draft pick, whether we sign someone who was given a quality offer or not a top ten pick is still a great opportunity for us…

September 23, 2013 at 10:33 am

Seems like a decent move to me, can’t think of much else to say about it. My opinion has always been that the problems this team has are more in the F.O. than on the field. So I guess this is a difference making move in some ways, but it hardly addresses the deeper problems we discuss here.