Mayberry Likely to Be Tendered a Contract

Ryan Lawrence of the Philadelphia Daily News tweeted that the Phillies will likely tender John Mayberry a contract. The quote below comes from general manager Ruben Amaro just a few hours after the Phillies reportedly signed outfielder Marlon Byrd.

Mayberry had career lows in all three triple-slash categories .227/.286/.391 in 2013 and was viewed as a near-lock to be non-tendered a contract for 2014. Matt Swartz estimates Mayberry, 29, would receive $1.7 million in arbitration in 2014, making him a curious choice to bring back with the addition of Byrd, a better hitter, and the existence of the right-handed hitting Darin Ruf.

1. Dave

November 12, 2013 at 5:14 pm

Why not. He’s already planning to bring back Kendrick. And he’s signing Marlon Byrd. Might as well set the team up for failure for a few more years.

2. Chuck A.

November 12, 2013 at 6:19 pm

I kind of get bringing back KK as there is ALWAYS the need for pitching depth. He can be the 5th guy or, at worse, be a long man out of the pen if necessary. And the Byrd signing isn’t what I would have done but I’m really not that upset over it.

HOWEVER…… I REALLY don’t get this move at all. Having just signed Byrd and having Ruf in the

• Chuck A.

November 12, 2013 at 6:22 pm

Oops…let me continue…

Having just signed Byrd and having Ruf in the fold….why in the hell do this???
      I am really starting to think that Amaro is certifiable. Dumb move. Just flat- out stupid.

3. Bob D

November 12, 2013 at 6:28 pm

I am assuming he says this as a just in case he cannot sign someone better between now and the tender deadline. If Ruben can get another OF that could be a starter or part time platoon player, then Mayberry is most likely gone.
    OF right now:

Hernandez and Galvis likely are viewed as IF’ers

They need 5 outfielders on roster so Mayberry is #5 right now, another addition would push him off the list. I would also expect at least one outfielder with experience to be added on minor league contract for the just in case senarios

4. Bob D

November 12, 2013 at 6:30 pm

I predict Mayberry will be non tendered as the team will bring in another outfielder there is still a lot of time

5. Bart Shart

November 12, 2013 at 8:02 pm

Both Amaro and Mayberry are Stanford grads. Don’t underestimate the collegiate ties here.
    These boys look after each other. Same is true for the Ivy Leaguers. Dan’t. be surprised if Mayberry gets a job in the front office or as an exec for a minor league team when his baseball career ends. Personally I think this stuff stinks.

• schmenkman

November 12, 2013 at 9:18 pm

I don’t think it’s possible to underestimate it.

6. chris

November 12, 2013 at 8:09 pm

There is no doubt in my mind that Amaro doesn’t ”Love” This team…But he is really pushing fans away! This is just BS…He sucks worse as a GM than he did a player

7. Mike

November 12, 2013 at 9:05 pm

God I hate Ruben so much, he has no f***ing idea.

8. Ryne Duren

November 12, 2013 at 10:11 pm

I’m baffled by the Byrd signing. But I’m getting a headache thinking about the possibility of an A J Peirzynski signing. I thought they wanted to get younger that’s why they’re not looking to resign chooch. Isn’t A J older than chooch? sheesh

• Hogey's Role

November 12, 2013 at 10:38 pm

I’m in total agreement

9. George

November 12, 2013 at 11:47 pm

From Amaro’s comments Mayberry receiving a contract is not written in stone. He basically said so: “We haven’t made any final decisions.” And A.J. What’s-his-name (I’m too tired to look up the spelling) is only a rumor. I wish people would keep still until some of these things actually happen. It’s not bad to blame a guy for bad decisions but it’s totally uncalled for and totally unfair to trash someone for things he may not even do.

10. Jaron B

November 13, 2013 at 8:32 am

I agree, Ian… I think it’s time to sever ties with Mayberry.

11. Matt

November 13, 2013 at 4:33 pm

Everyday Ruben ruins this team more and more, if he signs tenures dingleberry, I’m done. I’m not sure i want to watch this team right now. But as long as Ruben is ruining this team ,I’m likely to just shut baseball off untill he’s fired. I’ve been asking myself for the last few days which team I’d be fan of since the phillies won’t be worth watching anymore. I just can not be a fan of any other team, since I’m a lifetime Philly fan , I just won’t watch it anymore. It’s sad watching this jackass ruin this team just sad. Everyday he talks about holes that need to be filled,, the dumbass doesn’t even understand it’s all his fault…. Wonder why he can find a pitching coach? Because no one would want to come to a loosing team that’s just gunna get worse that’s run by special ed.

• schmenkman

November 13, 2013 at 5:05 pm

1) Mayberry is cheap, useful depth, if used correctly.
      2) I’ll believe the tender when I see it. It may well happen, but when he’s asked if he’ll tender him, the only way you can really answer that at this point is just as he did.

• hk

November 13, 2013 at 5:17 pm

I agree, especially with the “if used correctly” caveat. He was not used correctly last year. Used correctly means almost exclusively used to face LHP’s. Since 2/3 of the starting OF bats left-handed, it wouldn’t be the worst thing in the world if Mayberry started most of the games vs. LHP’s resting whichever one of Revere or Brown the manager wanted to sit that day.

Is there any way to make a reasonable estimate of JMJ’s WAR if he were to get 250 PA’s next year, 200 vs. LHP’s and 50 vs. RHP’s and he produced according to his career platoon splits? If there is, I’m sure you’re the man to do it.