Trade Rumors

Winter Meetings: Brown, Cruz, Arroyo

Checking in from Orlando, FL, here are the latest Phillies rumors floating around The Dolphin Resort at Walt Disney World:

The Phillies are actively shopping Domonic Brown but other general managers are wary of his defense according to the New York Post’s Joel Sherman. Ruben Amaro told Sherman that the Phillies “have two corner outfielders” when asked if he was pursuing Nelson Cruz – many people are interpreting this as some sort of cryptic message that the Phillies would make a run at Cruz if Brown was traded. I wouldn’t rule this out but I also wouldn’t read anything into it.

The Phillies have checked in on Bronson Arroyo according to Reds’ beat writer Mark Sheldon.

The Phillies swung and missed on both Ryan Vogelsong and Scott Feldman over the weekend. Buster Olney reports that the offer made to Feldman was a very reasonable two years, $15 million while Vogelsong told MLB Radio that the Phillies made him a very competitive offer before choosing to sign with the San Francisco Giants. Vogelsong, of course, was an IronPig in 2010, before having an improbable MLB comeback in 2011 with the Giants, becoming an All-Star for the first time.

I have left the complex for the evening to take in a steak dinner at my brother’s house and possibly play some mini-golf. I will keep Twitter open – be sure to check back for any updates tonight.

1. Larry Harlow

December 9, 2013 at 6:36 pm

They’re also worried about his hitting:

“Asked Ruben Amaro if #Phillies were in Nelson Cruz market. Said already had 2 corner OFs. But they are trying to deal Domonic Brown…Outside execs say Brown’s defense enough of a problem, hole in swing that might not get kind SP #Phillies want”

2. Bart Shart

December 9, 2013 at 7:37 pm

No matter what direction Ruben Amaro goes in, it will be the wrong direction. He simply does not know what to do or how to do it.. A real shame

3. Keith Griggs

December 9, 2013 at 8:50 pm

I don’t know if he’s all to blame for these moves lately, and I didn’t hear anyone complaining when he got Lee. Brown isn’t going to bring much. We need to get Arroyo and sign Cruz. Let Brown be the 4th outfielder.

• schmenkman

December 9, 2013 at 8:59 pm

If it’s between Cruz and Brown, Cruz is the 4th outfielder.

• Hogey's Role

December 9, 2013 at 10:14 pm

That was a terrible comment… Ouch!

• schmenkman

December 9, 2013 at 10:29 pm

Brown is already as good as Cruz, and is young and improving while Cruz is 33 and headed the other way (if Cruz had been born a day earlier, 2014 would be his age 34 season). Not to mention that Cruz has a .730 career OPS on the road, so I wouldn’t expect too much of him at CBP, which doesn’t really help righties. And that’s all assuming PEDs haven’t helped him.

• wbramh

December 10, 2013 at 12:02 am

Once again tonight RAJ claimed on national TV that management believes they can win now. He also intimated that the easiest way to accomplish it is by not trading young upwardly mobil talent like Brown but rather, building around them through FA. Well then he expects to be in the FA hunt for the best position player and best pitcher. IMO, that’s currently Choo and Tanaka and they’re both likely to be offered top dollar by three or more teams apiece.

I don’t see how the GM of a 70 win team can believe he has a contender with the addition of Marlon Byrd and a Cuban pitcher with shoulder issues who Ruben himself admitted tonight is “a gamble.” I assume Ruben is not that dumb. Yet, we haven’t heard the Phillies name associated with any of the top FAs with the exception of Cruz (who I agree may be the #4 outfielder even on the Phillies).

Either Ruben is deliberately staying off the radar or he’s delusional. I’d like to believe he has some surprises in mind. Perhaps he has a trade partner for Papelbon – maybe even for Howard. While not sounding keen on trades, he didn’t specifically rule out moving older guys performing below their salary levels.

If Ruben really is relying on FA over trades than it’s possible he is more prescient than some of us give him credit for being. With new names being added to the mix at the meetings in the form of rumored trade bait (particularly pitchers) and the delay on the posting rule for Tanaka, the price on remaining FA players may even drop after the meetings. Most of us (including me) have complained about Ruben jumping too soon in the past, maybe we shouldn’t complain about him appearing too cautious now.

I dunno. I just know I’m happy I don’t have his job.

• Justin McElroy

December 9, 2013 at 10:57 pm

The way that RAJ went about getting Lee (the second time) was absurd, considering the fact that he already had Lee (at below market value) under team control for 2010 but decided it was better to trade him away for peanuts. Besides throwing away another first round pick when he brought Lee back the following year, it also forced him to go out and get Oswalt in July of 2010. We still don’t know how that will turn out, but the fact remains that Anthony Gose is still only 23 with a lot of tools. In case you haven’t noticed, the Phillies aren’t exactly loaded with young prospects with a lot of tools.

Of course, this has been rehashed a million times on this blog – but it still amazes me when someone points to the Cliff Lee saga as a shining moment in Amaro’s career.

• schmenkman

December 9, 2013 at 11:04 pm

It’s been reported that Amaro was told he couldn’t have both Halladay and Lee.

• Double Trouble Del

December 9, 2013 at 11:47 pm

Beat up Amaro for something a little more recent please.

• wbramh

December 10, 2013 at 12:20 am

You’re right Del.
        I didn’t like the shirt Ruben was wearing this evening.

4. Davep

December 9, 2013 at 9:54 pm

Damn Ian. Enjoy the time in Orlando, good luck with covering, I hear it’s tough.

As far as brown rumors go – if cruz + whoever the phillies get is more valuable than brown + pettibone, then you have to do the deal.

Personally I’d look at shin soo choo but you know our gm doesn’t actually want to make moves this offseason.

5. hk

December 10, 2013 at 7:49 am

Anyone advocating that the Phillies sign Nelson Cruz should read this:

• Double Trouble Del

December 10, 2013 at 8:29 am

Perfect the Cruz signing is in the bag. Thanks for the link hk, I knew he was bad news not just HOW BAD!

6. Ryne Duren

December 10, 2013 at 8:45 am

If I had a choice Brown or Cruz? It would be Brown! Cruz isn’t all he’s cracked up to be. And he’s not that much of an upgrade defensively so why bother. Plus Brown is way younger and cost affective. If it was Cespedes for Brown and a minor throw in like one of our pitching prospects except Biddle, a second tier type pitcher. Then do it asap.

• Hogey's Role

December 10, 2013 at 9:56 am

I agree with you, I like to land cespedes somehow

7. Bob in Bucks

December 10, 2013 at 10:52 pm

I like Arroyo for the third starter.