Papelbon Positive, Healthy Headed Into 2014

There was a lot of buzz this afternoon and early evening surrounding a somewhat odd press conference held today by Jonathan Papelbon. Chris Branch of the News Journal has all of the full quotes here, where, among other things Papelbon said he was feeling positive and healthy. Here is the Cliff’s Notes version thanks entirely to Branch:

Papelbon will try to be more positive: “This year, I’m definitely trying to be a lot more of a positive influence and be more upbeat. It starts from Ryno.”

Ryne Sandberg is a positive influence as a manger: “It’s that simple.Yeah, buying in, man. Like every morning we have a meeting with Ryno and we talk about things. If you can’t buy into your manager you’re not going to buy into anything.”

He wasn’t bothered by trade rumors: “That goes on every year, man. I understand this game is a business. I get that, man. I don’t pay attention to it, man. I’m at home, man. I’ve got kids to watch and Dora The Explorer to watch and all that other mess.”

And Papelbon revealed that he was a bit hurt last season: “I didn’t feel like I was at my healthiest (last season)… I’m feeling great [now].”

So there you have it, folks. Papelbon was a little dinged up in 2013, spent presumably the days leading up to July 31, 2013 watching Dora the Explorer, and Ryne Sandberg has him buying into the Phillies being a success in 2014. Whether or not that helps Papelbon improve his K/9 IP (down 3.51 from 2012 to 2013) or his velocity (down 2.8 MPH comparing 2011 to 2013), remains to be seen.

1. Chuck A.

February 17, 2014 at 11:16 pm

Dora the Explorer, huh??? They always have said that closers are an odd bunch. This takes it to a whole different level though…

2. wbramh

February 18, 2014 at 12:55 am

I would have thought Pap was a Rocky & Bullwinkle kinda guy.
    Rocky pitching with a moose-sized mouth.

3. Abel Ruiz

February 18, 2014 at 6:34 am

I was excited when the phillies signed him now im just kinda tried of this guy i really did like that comment he made last season and I also dont care for his antics hope hes gone by deadline or sooner. Philles should have paid madson

• Chuck A.

February 18, 2014 at 7:33 am

What??!! Should have paid Madson to sit out the past 2 years due to injury?? Yeah…that makes sense.

• mudmin

February 18, 2014 at 7:56 am

Yeah…I was ticked when they let Madson go until spring training rolled around the next year. Turned out to be one of the best non-signings in Phillies’ history. The yin to our Freddy Garcia Yang. Except Freddy G won a bajillion percent more games in 2007 (1) than Madson won in 2012-13 (0).

• Chuck A.

February 18, 2014 at 8:02 am

I wasn’t happy either that they didn’t sign him… HAD to be a Scott Boras screwup. But….fate was on our side with that deal. I guess an overpaid motormouth like Paps is better than an under-contract but sidelined Madson.

• mudmin

February 18, 2014 at 9:04 am

Totally agree. Is there anything contractual that forces sportswriters to mention that someone is a Scott Boras client?

4. mudmin

February 18, 2014 at 6:37 am

I read the headline and thought Paps was positive for steroids or psychotic meds or something.

5. PaMikeyDC

February 18, 2014 at 7:07 am

@Mudmin, HAHAHA!!

6. Dave

February 18, 2014 at 8:13 am

Talk less, pitch better. In fact, that goes to the whole team. Proof is in the pudding this season.

7. sandman

February 18, 2014 at 10:45 am

I do not believe it is merely a coincidence that our worst two years of last 8 are the two that negative , whiny , jon-boy has been here ……….red sox were awful in2012 , jon-boy big negative there , they did not even bid on him , nobody wants him –release him or trade for prospects , eat the salary !

• schmenkman

February 18, 2014 at 11:01 am

I don’t like Paps, but to be fair, then it must also not be a coincidence that he was on 4 Red Sox playoff teams, including a WS champion.

• TID

February 18, 2014 at 3:14 pm

Yo, boss, this isn’t – relax. He wasn’t even on the 2012 Red Sox team, genius.

8. Jay

February 18, 2014 at 5:23 pm

I wouldn’t be bothered by his attitude that much if he can be a decent closer again