Phillies Release Chad Gaudin – Phillies Nation
News

Phillies Release Chad Gaudin

Like Juan Cruz last year, the Phillies have released a non-roster invitee just as pitchers and catchers began reporting. Chad Gaudin, 30, has reportedly failed his physical and was released by the team this morning according to Matt Gelb of the Inquirer. Gaudin was predicted to compete for a spot in the bullpen and/or the final spot in the rotation.

1. Ryne Duren

February 13, 2014 at 10:27 am

Finally! whew!

• Chuck A.

February 13, 2014 at 12:33 pm

Because maybe…just maybe…he would have actually helped the team in some way???? Yeah….whew!! We wouldn’t want THAT now, would we?

• Ryne Duren

February 14, 2014 at 9:27 am

Hey Chuck lighten up my friend. I was just trying to be funny! I wasn’t being sarcastic. I know zilch about the guy. I just thought it was weird that on the first day they dump him without even seeing what he can do.

2. PAmikeyDC

February 13, 2014 at 12:52 pm

Ahhhhh. I wonder what part he failed? I was actually looking fwd to seeing him pitch

• Ryne Duren

February 14, 2014 at 9:33 am

Mikey he probably didn’t have anything wrong. 1 he was healthy 2 he’s too young.3 the Phils med team is clueless. 4 I’m worried about Hamels. No MRI reported being needed. They did the same with Doc. The list is long. I’m just putting my 2 cents in. I really don’t know crap.

3. mudmin

February 13, 2014 at 1:54 pm

Agreed. Does anyone have any idea how much he would have made for, you know, staying a week or 2 in spring training? There has to be something else.

• Ian Riccaboni

February 13, 2014 at 2:14 pm

I believe a player gets roughly 10% of his agreed upon salary if he is cut any time after signing but before Opening Day.

4. Jay

February 13, 2014 at 2:16 pm

Damn! We need an innings eater

5. mudmin

February 13, 2014 at 3:44 pm

There is a lot of speculation that this doesn’t have anything to do with the physical. He could have either started or pitched in the bullpen.

For all the hatred of RAJ, he’s not a stupid man. It’s either a legal issue or they found something seriously wrong with that physical. With those numbers last year, I don’t think the Phils would have had a problem taking a chance unless there was really no other choice but to cut him. They would have at least kept him till mid March.

Thanks for the salary info, Ian.

6. Ken Bland

February 13, 2014 at 3:57 pm

“The 30-year-old swingman signed a minor league deal with a MLB Spring Training invitation back in January, and had been expected to provide a solid pen and rotation depth option. Instead, the Reynolds Sports Management client will return to the open market.”

The main thing you want, of course, is guys with pitching skill. But, what you are as a teammate can be nice icing on the cake. Recently, in an interview with the SF Chronicle, Tim Lincecum mentioned that Gaudin was instrumental in introducing him to the use of advanced stats to become a more knowledgeable pitcher. Pretty appreciative, glowing comments, in fact. So he might have had a positive effect on a teammate had he been able to stick

7. George

February 13, 2014 at 4:57 pm

Too bad it was Gaudin, and not Fausto Carmona (I can never remember his current name) who failed his physical.