Phils Designate Savery, Burnett Contract Details Revealed – Phillies Nation
News

Phils Designate Savery, Burnett Contract Details Revealed

Savery

The Phillies have designated Joe Savery for assignment to create room for the newly-signed A.J. Burnett. Savery has a career 4.15 ERA in 41 career MLB appearances and was solid in 2013, posting a 3.15 ERA in 20 IP.

Additionally, the details of Burnett’s contract have emerged. Burnett has signed for $15 million for 2014 with a $1 million buyout after the season, hence the original $16 million that was quoted by many. According to Jon Heyman of CBS, the team has a $15 million option for 2015 and, if the team declines, Burnett can trigger a $7.5 million option of his own. Burnett can earn up to $1.75 million in 2014 and 2015 each if he hits performance targets according to Ken Rosenthal and Jayson Stark notes that should Burnett exercise his $7.5 million option for 2015, that year could be worth a max of $12.75 million.

1. Ken Bland

February 16, 2014 at 11:34 am

I really don’t know if the timing of this is even suburban appropriate, but if his workout went well 9 days ago, witnessed by 15 (reported) clubs), I’d have expected Ryan Madson to have signed a deal by now. It’s not like it’s early anymore as clubs have opened their doors for pitchers and catchers somewhere across the board by now.

I’d assume Madson will land a minor league deal at a minimum, and probably not more, but the passing of a full week, this time of year sort of makes me wonder what’s up. That he supposedly got up to 93 mph is only a partial indicator of where he’s at with any recovery, but it beats not being able to throw hard at all. It wasn’t like the reports, to whatever level of believability they inspire suggested he was unimpressive. Hopefully, he lands in a good spot with a chance to regain some success, wherever that may be.

• wbramh

February 16, 2014 at 9:15 pm

I was wondering about that, myself.
      Half expected the Phils or Angels to sign him a few weeks ago – at least to a minor league contract. I can’t see his agent expecting much more after Ryan’s 2-years of Hell – and hopefully back.

I suppose it’s not uncommon for a guy coming off of extended DL to regain his fastball velocity but lose his control – and maybe lose movement on his other pitches. Still, you’d think a minor league contract would be minimum risk with a big upside.

I wish him well, too.
      Would love to see the old Ryan back in this town.

2. schmenkman

February 16, 2014 at 2:37 pm

WIth the option, the AAV hit for 2014 towards the luxury tax threshold becomes 11.25 M, instead of the $16 M that had been reported (15+7.5 = 22.5, divided by 2).

• Lefty

February 16, 2014 at 8:28 pm

That’s good news, should put them under LT.

3. Mudmin

February 16, 2014 at 5:18 pm

I’m not sure I like getting rid of Savery… Were there any other options?

4. George

February 17, 2014 at 9:27 am

From what I’ve read, Madson’s camp has been witing for a team to offer a guaranteed ML contract.

When he finds out that no team will give him that, you’ll see him sign in whatever place shows the most promise of promotion and/or money.

The Burnett deal looks better than it did a few days ago.