Features

The Phillies Nation Top 100: #31 Von Hayes

The Phillies Nation Top 100 continues today with #31. Our mission is to assess the Top 100 Phillies players of all time using impact to the Phillies, individual achievement, team achievement, traditional stats, and analytics as our criteria. The list was compiled by Ian Riccaboni and Pat Gallen with input from the rest of the Phillies Nation staff.

From this point forward, each weekday, we will reveal two Phillies from the PN Top 100 in separate posts. To view the 2008 iteration of the list of Greatest Phillies of All Time as compiled by Tim Malcolm, please click here.

Please check back tomorrow morning for #30.

http://bryansargent.files.wordpress.com/2010/06/02280901.jpg#31 – Von Hayes

Years: 1983-1991

.272/.363/.427, 124 HR, 202 SB in 4988 PA

Previous Rank: 34 (+3)

fWAR Phillies Rank: 19th among position players, 27th among Phillies

Signature Season: Led NL in runs scored and doubles in 1986

NL All-Star (1989)

He was called Purple Hayes and FiveFor-One but no matter what you called him, Von Hayes was an extremely athletic, versatile 6’5″ outfielder/first baseman/fill-in third baseman who showed above-averageness in all five tools. The lanky native of Stockton, CA would arrive in Philadelphia on December 9, 1982 in a trade that sent five players (Jay Baller, Julio Franco, Manny Trillo, George Vukovich, and Jerry Willard) to Cleveland. Hayes would start 86 games in the outfield as a 24-year old for the pennant-winning 1983 squad, hitting 6 HR with 20 SB in 392 PA. Hayes would see his playing time diminish by the time the postseason rolled around, seeing just five plate appearances in the playoffs, ceding playing time in right to the then-recently-acquired Sixto Lezcano.

The fact that Hayes was traded for five players was relatively unusual but perhaps the most unusual , and unfortunate, thing that happened was that all five either had gone on to reach the Majors or wound up continuing their careers in the Majors. Because of the expectations that come with being traded for five players, fans were often critical of Hayes. Lost in the criticism of Hayes was the fact that he was a very, very good ball player. Hayes would start 135 games for the Phillies in 1984, hitting 16 HR and stealing 48 bases with a .292/.359/.447 line.

Hayes would lead the NL in runs scored and doubles in 1986, forming a formidable one-two punch with that year’s NL MVP Mike Schmidt for the surprising 1986 second-place Phillies. Hayes would have career highs in batting average and slugging in 1986, en route to an eighth place MVP finish. Hayes would make his only All-Star team in 1989, finishing with 26 HR and 28 SB.

Because Hayes did not have a consistent position (outfielder from 1983 through 1985, first base from 1986 through 1988, outfielder again from 1989 through 1991, with a number of cameos at third base thrown in), it is tougher to pin down comparables. Since his time was spent primarily as an outfielder, that’s the criteria we used to compare him to his contemporaries. Among National League outfielders from 1983 through 1991, Hayes ranked eighth in fWAR, wedged between Andre Dawson and Eric Davis. Hayes’ ranked 12th in homers, seventh in runs, seventh in RBIs, tenth in steals, fifteenth in OBP, and 28th in slugging among 77 eligible players.

To some, Hayes may have never lived up to the lofty expectations fostered when he was traded for five players. It certainly didn’t help that one of the players he was traded for, Franco, won a batting title, four Silver Sluggers, and was a three-time All-Star in the same time period that Hayes was in Philadelphia. But Hayes was in the top tier of NL outfielders during his stay in Philadelphia and is one of the Phillies all-time best players.

1. Mike B

February 5, 2014 at 12:55 pm

Plus the guy had a real taste for steak.

2. Vinnie

February 5, 2014 at 1:15 pm

I think phans were upset the Trillo was traded, but in the end letting Franco go hurt the most. Imagine if they had Franco and Sanburg along with Schmidt in the 80’s.

• Vinnie

February 5, 2014 at 1:18 pm

Sorry, I forgot to say this. I have no problem with Hayes, in fact I liked him. It is unfair that he will always be the 5 for 1 guy, because that is NOT his fault.

• Rob Schwartz

February 9, 2014 at 3:08 pm

Yeah it turned out more of a Julio Franco for Von Hayes trade.Trillo I loved but 2 seasons later he was a bench player and we had Morgan and Samuel at 2nd. The other guys in the deal were out of baseball a couple yrs later and Sammy and Hayes were fun to watch for years.

3. Bart Shart

February 5, 2014 at 3:17 pm

Von Hayes was a solid ballplayer. Don’t blame him for the 5-for-1 trade. That trade speaks to the ignorance of the PHillies at that time… Julio Franco was a top-notch hitter and Manny Trillo was a very good second baseman. Hayes was a fine ballplayer but in my opinion he should not be ahead of Scott Rolen.

4. Laura Hoogerwerff

February 5, 2014 at 3:30 pm

Von is one my favorites, and I saw him.with his wife, he stopped and chatted for awhile. Nice guy I thought. Solid outfielder, it was. dumb how they bounced him around the field nd the line up.

5. Michael Kazmar

February 5, 2014 at 6:19 pm

Don’t forget his record night June 11, 1985 when Hayes led of with a homer and later in the same first inning hit a grand slam, en route to the Phils trouncing the Mets 26-7!

• mudmin

February 5, 2014 at 7:32 pm

I came here to say exactly that. What I great night!

I also agree that too much weight was put on him because of who we traded to get him and the crappy teams he was on.

Regarding the trades, I was a kid like 8-14 during his time there that didn’t have the internet to know the front office dealings, I just watched every single game on tv. Imagine my surprise though when I would go through my baseball cards and see that people like Franco and Sandberg started their careers with the Phillies. 8 year old me would think, holy crap the Phils are stupid for getting rid of these guys. Now I’m an adult who feels exactly the same way.

• Double Trouble Del

February 5, 2014 at 9:07 pm

Listened to that game while working as a grad assistant at Georgetown. (WCAU could be heard after dark.) That stat is the first thing I think of when I see or hear Von Hayes’ name.

6. Pingback: Morning Phil Up - 2/6/2014 - Thursday Links - That Balls Outta Here - A Philadelphia Phillies Fan Site - News, Blogs, Opinion and More

7. Sandy Durso

February 6, 2014 at 3:25 pm

The fact that Von Hayes would be considered the 31st greatest player in Phillies history does not speak well to the history of this beloved franchise. I recall him being a disappointment on some pretty bad baseball teams to be honest.

• schmenkman

February 6, 2014 at 4:37 pm

Sandy, a couple of things:

1) there were extremely high expectations, probably unfairly so, after the “5 for 1” trade,
      2) like many players who don’t excel at any one thing but do many things well, he was under-rated in his day. I think this note by Ian speaks to his overall value, represented by his WAR over that time:

“Among National League outfielders from 1983 through 1991, Hayes ranked eighth in fWAR, wedged between Andre Dawson and Eric Davis.”

8. George

February 7, 2014 at 12:30 pm

Out in Los Angeles, I saw one of those putrid Phils teams. The only player worth watching was Hayes. Even on a really bad club he was putting in a very strong effort, unlike most the others around him. He was the only real human in a dugout full of zombies. I’m surprised he came out of those years with his brains uneaten.